by SimRacing.org.uk  

Read this first!    

April 16, 2024, 05:59:39 PM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Linked Events
  • i Lime Rock: January 12, 2010
January 12, 2010, 12:27:30 PM +0000 - Lime Rock (no chicane) - iRacing - @iRacing.com
Driver
 Team
Nat. Make Model Class Qualifying Race
Tyres Pos Time/Gap Pos Time/Gap Laps Led Best Retirement
reason
Incidents
Ken Murray
 Soggy Bottom Racers Club
SCCA Spec Racer Ford (#36) SRF 2 +0.101
92.553mph
1 40:14.360
91.246mph
40 34 59.415
92.695mph
Goodyear 5
ginsters sponsored
 Kerb Crawlers
SCCA Spec Racer Ford (#36) SRF 1 59.405
92.711mph
2 +14.815
90.689mph
40 6 59.658
92.318mph
Goodyear 11
Ade
 Kerb Crawlers
SCCA Spec Racer Ford (#36) SRF 4 +0.361
92.151mph
3 +15.503
90.663mph
40   59.913
91.925mph
Goodyear 2
Adam Parle
 Legends Racing
SCCA Spec Racer Ford (#36) SRF 7 +0.634
91.732mph
4 +38.198
89.824mph
40   1:00.351
91.258mph
Goodyear 5
ross.mcw
 Prodigy Racing
SCCA Spec Racer Ford (#36) SRF 5 +0.493
91.948mph
5 +1L 39   1:00.011
91.775mph
Goodyear 8
picnic
 Team Shark
SCCA Spec Racer Ford (#36) SRF 14 +1.577
90.313mph
6 +2L 38   1:00.498
91.036mph
Goodyear 8
Simon Gymer
 Team Shark
SCCA Spec Racer Ford (#36) SRF 10 +0.896
91.333mph
7 +3L 37   1:00.314
91.314mph
Goodyear 31
Brendan
 Kerb Crawlers
SCCA Spec Racer Ford (#36) SRF 3 +0.104
92.549mph
8 +5L 35   59.409
92.705mph
Disco
Goodyear 4
Dave 'Gizmo' Gymer
 Team Shark
SCCA Spec Racer Ford (#36) SRF 6 +0.598
91.787mph
9 35   59.908
91.932mph
Goodyear 13
spanner
 Prodigy Racing
SCCA Spec Racer Ford (#36) SRF 11 +1.228
90.833mph
10 +16L 24   1:00.820
90.554mph
Disco
Goodyear 17
Legzy
 Team Oldie Racing
SCCA Spec Racer Ford (#36) SRF 12 +1.482
90.454mph
11 +27L 13   1:00.617
90.857mph
Disco
Goodyear 14
popabawa
 Legends Racing
SCCA Spec Racer Ford (#36) SRF 9 +0.875
91.365mph
12 +34L 6   1:00.479
91.064mph
Disco
Goodyear 3
Truetom
 Legends Racing
SCCA Spec Racer Ford (#1) SRF 8 +0.733
91.581mph
13 +37L 3   1:00.671
90.776mph
Disco
Goodyear 5
Mark J
 Legends Racing
SCCA Spec Racer Ford (#36) SRF 13 +1.560
90.339mph
14 +39L 1   ---
---
Disco
Goodyear 6
Paul968
 Kerb Crawlers
SCCA Spec Racer Ford (#36) SRF 15 15 +40L 0   ---
---
Disco
Goodyear  
SimRacing.org.uk Lap Records
iRacing
SRF
92.711mph
ginsters sponsored
Qualifying
SCCA Spec Racer FordJanuary 12, 2010, 12:27:30 PM +0000
i
iRacing
SRF
92.705mph
Brendan
Race
SCCA Spec Racer FordJanuary 12, 2010, 12:27:30 PM +0000
i
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: iRacing - Spec Racer Ford - Lime Rock (no chicane) - Jan 12  (Read 17347 times)
Simon Gymer
Former Moderators

Cool Bite

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2010, 09:26:07 PM +0000 »

Got to say sorry for Lap 1.  Embarrassed After Gizmo made a mistake and made the pack bunch up round the back I had a run on TT and foolishly put my car in a stupid position I couldn't back out of. Then I broke really hard into the corner to avoid hitting TT who must have also broken really hard, as I didn't avoid him and that caused a ricochet of mayhem. I see on the replay that despite not touching initially the game makes TT have contact as his car moves under the invisible impact and that probably causes the rest of it. Completely my fault for getting into a stupid position. I should have ignored the fact that I had a massive run on TT and just tucked in.

Intel I7-4790K @ 4.0Ghz
MSI NVidia 2080 Ti Gaming X TRIO
16GB DDR3 2400Mhz
3x 1920x1080 27" monitors
Thrustmaster T300GTE Wheel + T3PA Pro Pedals
ross.mcw

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2010, 09:31:00 PM +0000 »

Quite enjoyed that one really, managed a good start to get past Ade and took 4th for a few laps before having a spin on the rise leaving me to fight my way back from about 9th.  Was gradually reeling in Shark before he had an off around lap 16 that robbed us of what would have been a good fight.

Set about chasing Adam before a minor off at turn 1 followed by the inevitable tow and mooch around the pits for a couple of minutes.  Came back on a few seconds behind Adam again but this time a lap down.

Couldn't face just sitting around behind you Adam so I hope you didn't object too much to me unlapping myself - I had fun doing it although I'm sorry for outbraking myself a bit into T1 and giving you a tap.

All in all it was good fun, but clearly a high level of attrition.  By the end I'd really settled into the Spec's handling (basically turning with the brake pedal), but clearly it's not everyone's cup of tea - shame that.

Well done to the guys up front, I was in awe of the close racing by Ian, Ken and Brendan for the first few laps.

Cheers, Ross.
Adam Parle
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2010, 09:37:52 PM +0000 »

That was fun Smiley

Pleased with my qually time - sadly didn't quite manage to go sub 1:00, but given I'd not sat in the car for ages before tonight I was well happy with that.

I got a really good start on Dave, getting ahead round the first couple, but then got a smidge onto the grass heading into T3 and that let Dave back infront.  Dave, myself and Pops were in a train for a little while, then Pops vanished (must have left his Cinzano in the pits).

Dave got a run on Ade up towards the hill, and darted past on the run down to the penultimate corner.  With them haiving been side by side round that corner it gave me a great chance to pass Ade too, getting a run on him we were side by side for the last 2 corners and then entire length of the pit straight.  Having the inside line into T1 I finally got by, and put a bit of a gap between us whilst Ade took a few beta blockers and regrouped Cheesy.

Whilst my heartrate descended, Dave made good his escape, and I never made that much of a dent in the gap until Dave's connection fell out with the server and he had to rejoin in 11th.

A beta-blocked and much-faster-than-I Ade was on a charge, and with me struggling with the cars changing characteristics due to tyres, one sizable error heading into T1 was all it took for him to make good the pass .... and then frustratingly scarper down the road.  I was struggling with understeer, but the car was stable, just not as quick as I needed it to be, and I spent a good few laps with an eye on the gap behind me shrinking.

After a scare from (it was 2 laps) Ross, the gap to Brendan was coming down alarmingly quickly .... but thankfully he overdid it, and that left me an easy drive to 4th.  Shame ... I was looking forward to trying to fend you off for a couple of laps.

Great fun all in all.  Shame I can't manage this sort of finish when it really counts Cheesy.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 09:40:20 PM +0000 by Adam Parle » Logged
Brendan

Team KC

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2010, 09:39:37 PM +0000 »

All in all it was good fun, but clearly a high level of attrition.  By the end I'd really settled into the Spec's handling (basically turning with the brake pedal), but clearly it's not everyone's cup of tea - shame that.

Cheers, Ross.

I agree it's a shame we won't get to use the SRF.  I think it's one of the best cars for close racing.  I'd never dream of battling with Ken and Ian so closely in the Skip.  Had we been on a smoother surface, I doubt there would have been so many offs.
ginsters sponsored
Grey Leader
Former Moderators

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2010, 09:40:26 PM +0000 »

Despite a "little" experience in other sims, iR still intimadates the hell outta me. Really gets the juices flowing [sorry] though Smiley

Excellent quali for me and chuffed to sit in pole. However, prior to going green, I talked myself into safe mode in order to avoid the obligatory spin. It isn't difficult to defend around here so I managed to keep Ken and Brendan at bay for a bit. However, Ken was sizing me up for a few laps and he could sense a pass into T1 and so could I Wink Thought I braked too late for him but he sneaked through and we touched as I closed the door, you can rub in those cars Smiley Too good for me Ken, nice.

Then had 8 second gap to Ade which fluctuated like mad as I, and presume him, struggled for consistency. Then the obligatory spin  Undecided Ade was past but felt much more confidence chasing him rather than setting the pace myself. Got right with him with about 4 laps to go and luckily he slipped on final turn and I just had enough to get around the outside of him into T1. Good fun  Smiley

Can't say I feel comfortable in the speccy, when the back end breaks free it just feels like a boat to me, but maybe they are good for racing? Congrats Ken and all finishers as that felt hard to me Smiley
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 09:44:42 PM +0000 by ginsters sponsored » Logged

ross.mcw

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2010, 09:48:27 PM +0000 »

After a scare from (it was 2 laps) Ross

...to be fair though, I was probably less of a danger to you in front than behind! Wink
Adam Parle
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2010, 09:53:18 PM +0000 »

...to be fair though, I was probably less of a danger to you in front than behind! Wink

True - it was just a bit frustrating, and there were a couple of "moments" when I thought I was done for Cheesy  - I tried to run very wide into T1 to let you past .... and you followed me!!! Cheesy
Dave 'Gizmo' Gymer
Director General
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Currum auriga quasi furtivum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2010, 10:07:30 PM +0000 »

only 14racers so dont get why. I had two 18 car races at Brands at the weekend online in IR with no problems at all.
Something about these midweek IR hosteds that my connection/setup doesnt like. :'(

Might be worth trying an official race or a busy practice session at this sort of time on a Tuesday.

Dave got a run on Ade up towards the hill, and darted past on the run down to the penultimate corner.  With them haiving been side by side round that corner it gave me a great chance to pass Ade too, getting a run on him we were side by side for the last 2 corners and then entire length of the pit straight.  Having the inside line into T1 I finally got by, and put a bit of a gap between us whilst Ade took a few beta blockers and regrouped Cheesy.

Heh heh, it was nice to be dishing it out this race instead of taking it like I did in the Skippy. Cheesy Was slightly annoyed I couldn't get a 59.9 in qually when I'd had one in practice, but once the race was underway I felt pretty happy I had sufficient pace for 4th.

Whilst my heartrate descended, Dave made good his escape, and I never made that much of a dent in the gap until Dave's connection fell out with the server and he had to rejoin in 11th.

Really frustrating, that, but I knew it was coming as the connection had been unstable for two days and despite restarting it several times it just wasn't getting any better. Sad Even more annoying is that bar a few spikes shortly after reconnecting it was perfectly stable after that. Roll Eyes

Had very little left to race for so I just tucked into the Shark train and had some fun with Shark and Picnic, showboating a bit in front of Shark in the final two corners and then finally squeeking a 59.9 again on the penultimate lap.

It's been a long, long time since I last pulled the SRF out of the garage and my setups are all rubbish, but I was really starting to get back into that after half an hour or so. Pity it wasn't the result I perhaps deserved.

To finish first, first you must have fins.
ross.mcw

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2010, 10:22:43 PM +0000 »

True - it was just a bit frustrating, and there were a couple of "moments" when I thought I was done for Cheesy  - I tried to run very wide into T1 to let you past .... and you followed me!!! Cheesy

lol! Sorry about that, it was a bit too close that one! I'd got the impression down the straight that you weren't just going to let me past without a fight. Anyhow no harm done I hope and at least it gets the heart pumping a bit Wink
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 10:24:53 PM +0000 by ross.mcw » Logged
Ken Murray

Ducati 996 @ Cadwell Mountain

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2010, 10:28:25 PM +0000 »

Well I suppose I have to like this damn car now!!!  laugh

I nearly messed up qually, spinning twice and resetting before posting any time at all, but I was quite happy with the second slot on the grid.

I got a decent start but I was aware of Brendan having the inside line for T1 and stayed wide. He duly accepted the invitation and slipped through. With Ian in safe mode it was all a bit bunched up and I took the opportunity to retake second as we started the next lap. It was still nose to tail stuff between the three of us and I have to reluctantly agree that it is easier to run this close than it would be in the Skippy. I probably wouldn't have got away with my "door to door" "BTC" style pass to eventually take the lead after about 6 laps if we'd been in an open wheeler!! My little nudge on Ian allowed Brendan to follow through and he chased me hard for the next few laps before dropping away slightly. Then I just caught a glimpse of him running off in my rear view mirror and I could relax a little. We probably weren't even half distance at that point so the remainder of the race was an excercise in maintaining concentration. It would have been so easy to run off the track and loose the race, it felt harder than actually racing wheel to wheel.

Grats to the rest of the podium and all finishers.
Truetom

Ljubljana, Slovenia

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2010, 07:11:20 AM +0000 »

Got to say sorry for Lap 1.  Embarrassed After Gizmo made a mistake and made the pack bunch up round the back I had a run on TT and foolishly put my car in a stupid position I couldn't back out of. Then I broke really hard into the corner to avoid hitting TT who must have also broken really hard, as I didn't avoid him and that caused a ricochet of mayhem. I see on the replay that despite not touching initially the game makes TT have contact as his car moves under the invisible impact and that probably causes the rest of it. Completely my fault for getting into a stupid position. I should have ignored the fact that I had a massive run on TT and just tucked in.

Run on me? I had to slow down as the people in front were getting into a knot. Roll Eyes
This reveals one of the weaker points of iR. Accidents happen and will so in the future. Unfortunately these cars seem to be made of paper or glass as they bent and shatter easily. No other way to repair it than use a fast tow. You lose at least one lap and further racing is then pointless. Unlapping in the same class? Unthinkable. Sad

Must have made 50+ laps to come close to 1 minute mark laptime and the race was over in 30 seconds. dots
Ken Murray

Ducati 996 @ Cadwell Mountain

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2010, 08:30:22 AM +0000 »

Run on me? I had to slow down as the people in front were getting into a knot. Roll Eyes
This reveals one of the weaker points of iR. Accidents happen and will so in the future. Unfortunately these cars seem to be made of paper or glass as they bent and shatter easily. No other way to repair it than use a fast tow. You lose at least one lap and further racing is then pointless. Unlapping in the same class? Unthinkable. Sad

Must have made 50+ laps to come close to 1 minute mark laptime and the race was over in 30 seconds. dots

Sympathy's there Tommy but this sort of thing maybe illustrates how removing the tow option may help. In that situation Simon would not have dared put his car in a "stupid" position and so the accident would not have happened. I know Simon didn't enter the race intent on having an accident but it is very much a virtually uncontrollable phsycological phenomina. If you know you have a second chance your mind allows you to take risks you wouldn't take if it meant the end of your race immediately. I know your race is over even with the tow, but somehow the brain doesn't register that in the same way!!!

The mind is a very complex instrument. I was still racing bikes when I became a father for the first time. It knocked a second or so off my laptimes immediately, eventhough I was not predominantly thinking about my new responsibilities when out on the track, there's far to many other things to occupy your mind out there. I continued for a year or so but I could see I was just getting slower and slower, although in my own mind I was trying as hard as ever!!
Simon Gymer
Former Moderators

Cool Bite

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2010, 08:55:00 AM +0000 »

In that situation Simon would not have dared put his car in a "stupid" position and so the accident would not have happened.

I agree (although I'm  not using that as an excuse!).

Fun races also give a detrimental effect to the mind, because they have little importance compared to a league race so you will view driving differently (whether you think you do or not).

Public races in iRacing have the problem of you can "always have another go", which is why SR is a waste of time.

One chance only is the best method of reducing incidents.

The mind is a very complex instrument.

Not all of them.  laugh laugh

Intel I7-4790K @ 4.0Ghz
MSI NVidia 2080 Ti Gaming X TRIO
16GB DDR3 2400Mhz
3x 1920x1080 27" monitors
Thrustmaster T300GTE Wheel + T3PA Pro Pedals
popabawa
Legendary Leader
Former Moderators

Less yapping and more lapping!

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2010, 08:59:52 AM +0000 »

Blimey, that was a sad effort on my part last night  Angry

Got a decent start and was keeping up nicely with Dave & Adam when Dave slipped past Ade then Adam got a run and they went 2 wide into the last turn (great driving both to keep it clean), I was thinking that was my chance to get a run, went in too hot and oversteered into the wall. A rookie mistake and one I shouldn't be making.

Got a tow but I couldn't get back into it as the leaders passed me I decided to quit rather than make a menace of myself.

2/10 - MUST DO BETTER!

Legends Racing simracing team
Truetom

Ljubljana, Slovenia

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2010, 09:03:24 AM +0000 »

Sympathy's there Tommy but this sort of thing maybe illustrates how removing the tow option may help. In that situation Simon would not have dared put his car in a "stupid" position and so the accident would not have happened. I know Simon didn't enter the race intent on having an accident but it is very much a virtually uncontrollable phsycological phenomina. If you know you have a second chance your mind allows you to take risks you wouldn't take if it meant the end of your race immediately. I know your race is over even with the tow, but somehow the brain doesn't register that in the same way!!!

The mind is a very complex instrument. I was still racing bikes when I became a father for the first time. It knocked a second or so off my laptimes immediately, eventhough I was not predominantly thinking about my new responsibilities when out on the track, there's far to many other things to occupy your mind out there. I continued for a year or so but I could see I was just getting slower and slower, although in my own mind I was trying as hard as ever!!

I'm not blaming Shark on an incident as such. Any of us (and real time drivers) needs to use the chance if he sees it - or you don't get anywhere. Point is, GTR2 cars would probably survive the snooker tapping with minimum damage and if not it would be a real option to limp to the pits, repair and drive on. You'd lose a few places but the driving is still in the line of purpose - getting somewhere on a ladder.
Fast tow is a lesser option in my oppinion. You lose a lap and how do you unlap if you're just about the same level driver as the one in front? If you're 0,1 seconds faster you can't unlap without limiting his option and reducing his laptimes. Besides, when faster driver catch you in a short circuit like Lime you get to lose more and more. That makes driving after the incident a bit ... not fun.

I blame the iR programers for slowly implementing needed things to have a sim, not a driving game. Superb driving model is not enough. Sad
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: