by SimRacing.org.uk  

Read this first!    

nonchalant-unilinear
April 29, 2024, 01:37:23 PM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Linked Events
  • i Lowes: January 26, 2010
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11
  Print  
Author Topic: iRacing - Dallara Indycar @ Lowes (Oval) - Jan 26  (Read 20909 times)
picnic
Director, Servers
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: January 29, 2010, 01:15:16 PM +0000 »

Can someone tell me the restart procedure again please, I managed to mess (was it Paul R) race up because I thought I decided when everyone went for it. So after the pace car pulls off what should the pole man do, simple wait for the green and gun it or something else?

popabawa
Legendary Leader
Former Moderators

Less yapping and more lapping!

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 29, 2010, 01:21:31 PM +0000 »

As the front row of cars approach the start/finish line, the green flag will be shown, signifying the (re)start of the race.

Drivers shall not pass cars in their own pacing line on the left hand side before the start/finish line. Drivers attempting to improve their position by passing on the left-hand side before the start/finish line will be assessed a black flag Stop-and-Go penalty by Race Control.

The leader of the second pace line may not pass the leader of the first pace line (pole position) before the start/finish line. Doing so will result in a black flag Stop-and-Go penalty.

Effectively the lead car can go any time from the green flag appearing to the s/f line.

Legends Racing simracing team
picnic
Director, Servers
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 29, 2010, 01:29:43 PM +0000 »

So if I dawdle then no one can pass me before the start/finish line without penalty. In which case I'm surprised more didn't get penalised I could have sworn 3 or more were passed by then  Undecided

Also if I went as soon as the green flag is shown will you be guaranteed to have had the green lights prior to you reaching the start/finish line?

Simon Gymer
Former Moderators

Cool Bite

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: January 29, 2010, 01:40:18 PM +0000 »

So if I dawdle then no one can pass me before the start/finish line without penalty. In which case I'm surprised more didn't get penalised I could have sworn 3 or more were passed by then  Undecided

If you look at the YouTube video of Dons @ 2:50 it does look like all 3 of us should have been penalised although me passing you is extremely close to the line the others are clear cut as they are a car length or more ahead I am only half a car at most ahead.

Intel I7-4790K @ 4.0Ghz
MSI NVidia 2080 Ti Gaming X TRIO
16GB DDR3 2400Mhz
3x 1920x1080 27" monitors
Thrustmaster T300GTE Wheel + T3PA Pro Pedals
picnic
Director, Servers
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 29, 2010, 01:42:55 PM +0000 »

Still lots of bugs then including that one that put me in pole for no apparent reason as I was a lap down at that point and should have started near the back like it made me on all the other restarts  Undecided

popabawa
Legendary Leader
Former Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 29, 2010, 01:43:10 PM +0000 »

I'm really not sure what happened when you were up front Pete. Paul was leading the race and should have had control of the restart given the rules I'd selected. However that didn't seem to be the case.

I'm not 100% on this but the way I interpret the rules is that it's only the 2nd place guy who can't overtake before the s/f line. If drivers overtake from further back it's OK, as long as they do it on the right.

As Paul had already been black flagged, maybe it was OK for them to overtake him, even if it wasn't on the right. Not sure.

Also if I went as soon as the green flag is shown will you be guaranteed to have had the green lights prior to you reaching the start/finish line?

Not sure what you mean by "green lights"? the green flag indicates the race has re-started. There's nothing else.

Blunder
iRacing Indycar Host
Incident Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 29, 2010, 01:52:47 PM +0000 »

Good thread guys, the more we all learn about the in's and out's the better future races will be!

Wink

So what did you good guys do in the first 4 laps following a restart.
I know I took it too steady but did try and make sure I was in 6th and feathered the throttle slightly!
Did you find it more stable in those few laps to run higher!?
I think it may just come down to practicing getting up to speed in those 4 laps, I certainly plan to practice that in future!

I'd rather be iRacing Ovals.... Smiley     iRacing id= Martin Mason
Simon Gymer
Former Moderators

Cool Bite

View Profile WWW
« Reply #142 on: January 29, 2010, 01:56:43 PM +0000 »

I know I took it too steady but did try and make sure I was in 6th and feathered the throttle slightly!
I think it may just come down to practicing getting up to speed in those 4 laps, I certainly plan to practice that in future!

No my car was pretty light feeling on the restarts. I floored it in 1st gear as soon as the guy in front went (or when I was leading when the green flag dropped). Then I just came off the throttle a little before each corner until 5 or 6 laps when I crossed my fingers and used full throttle the whole way. IMHO there was/is no way of telling if the car was ready for full throttle or not, so we just had to guess.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 02:30:31 PM +0000 by Simon 'Shark' Gymer » Logged

Intel I7-4790K @ 4.0Ghz
MSI NVidia 2080 Ti Gaming X TRIO
16GB DDR3 2400Mhz
3x 1920x1080 27" monitors
Thrustmaster T300GTE Wheel + T3PA Pro Pedals
Bernie Lomax

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 29, 2010, 02:04:48 PM +0000 »

As Paul had already been black flagged, maybe it was OK for them to overtake him, even if it wasn't on the right. Not sure.

I think it might be the case that your not allowed to overtake the car in front, in which case neither Shark or I did as Paul R stayed ahead of me and I was ahead of Shark when we crossed the start line. 
popabawa
Legendary Leader
Former Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 29, 2010, 02:07:56 PM +0000 »

IMHO there was/is no way of telling if the car was ready for full throttle or not, so we just had to guess.

I worked that out by practising Grin I knew I could keep it floored at lap 4 but I was progressively lifting off a little less each lap prior to that.

I'm not sure it was any more stable running higher and even if it was slightly better you don't really want to offer up the inside line and leave yourself open.

If you can get comfortable with where the limits are in the first few laps you're going to increase your chances of staying with the pack and also less chance of oversteering and causing a flag. Sounds good to me! lol

BTW, I'm no Indy oval expert but I think the oval races I did in the Dallara last season gave me that bit of experience that gave me the edge to stay with the fast guys I normally wouldn't be able to keep up with!

picnic
Director, Servers
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 29, 2010, 02:12:34 PM +0000 »

Not sure what you mean by "green lights"? the green flag indicates the race has re-started. There's nothing else.

I thought you got a white flag with one to go, then the green flag just about the time the pace car pulled off and then the green lights. I need to do another race and check now  Embarrassed Won't be difficult cos I'll no doubt fall off  Roll Eyes

popabawa
Legendary Leader
Former Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 29, 2010, 02:19:13 PM +0000 »

In real-life, the lights indicate whether the race is under caution or not.

I would imagine that in iRacing the lights change at the same time the on-screen flag changes.

ross.mcw

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 29, 2010, 02:29:24 PM +0000 »

You're obviously referring to me here Martin - in general, I just went and crashed... Wink
Blunder
iRacing Indycar Host
Incident Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 29, 2010, 02:33:08 PM +0000 »

You're obviously referring to me here Martin - in general, I just went and crashed... Wink

Obviously Ross.....

I'd rather be iRacing Ovals.... Smiley     iRacing id= Martin Mason
Ken Murray

Ducati 996 @ Cadwell Mountain

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 29, 2010, 05:20:31 PM +0000 »

I didn't change anything on that setup in my own car. It looks from the qually that it was capable of 24.0 - 24.1 (presuming we were all using it?), give or take a 100th of a second or so, and 23.7 in a tow.

Maybe check your pedal calibration, even if it is only marginally not attaining full throttle it will make a big difference on a flat out oval.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 05:27:45 PM +0000 by Ken Murray » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11
  Print  

Jump to: