The Spirit of British SimRacing   

Read this first!    

nonchalant-unilinear
March 19, 2024, 09:13:50 AM +0000 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15
  Print  
Author Topic: Server donations  (Read 95706 times)
popabawa
Legendary Leader
Former Moderators

Less yapping and more lapping!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2006, 10:09:31 AM +0000 »

But i'm only 27 and would like to see this series step up a gear.. !

Well, I'm extremely happy with the current inclusive nature of simracing.org.uk and would strongly oppose some of your suggestions Rich.

In fact, pretty much everything in this post (except more donations Smiley);

I have no problem paying £5 per series. If everyone does two series a year, that's potentially 40 drivers which is £200. Even that isn't very much but it would help right? I think it ought to be mandatory to pay - and if it's mandatory I would like to see more rules for joining, like hardware requirements and time trials. Cause surely you don't want some guy with a 1.6ghz AMD Ti4200 racing with a keyboard to join!! And then maybe the time trial can be you got to submit a hotlap that's within 107% of UKGTR qualifying record for any track.

Also I would like to see more folk painting and then carpack's being made - obviously it's not certain GTR2 will support standalone cars but if that's possible then it will be simple enough to do. Would be great to have drivers using one car all season and perhaps cars are chosen in somekind of hierachical order i.e cars chosen in order of previous endurance final driver standings. This way you don't get same car being used and it's a alot more like FIA GT - and drivers have to do well to get a larger choice of cars. Smiley

If it's like this then there is much more effort involved in participating which imo will make for a much more respected series - and so more appealing to the more enthusiastic teams/drivers out there.

Well that's quite alot to consider, but in fact if it was like that I would pay £10 per season np. And I would moderate and make carpack's if you want.

Legends Racing simracing team
fozzmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2006, 10:10:33 AM +0000 »

The rule already say that if your connection is not upto scratch you will be asked to leave, likely this will be the case with every technical issue, a few people who have been unable to get the game running stable have pulled out of championships themselves.

How good, bad or stable GTR is, seems to have zero correlation with the spec of someone's PC anyway.

I am selling my Virtual Roadster cockpit on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320742210327 / https://www.simracing.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=9771.0
iRacing = Matthew Forrester
AdrianD

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2006, 10:19:02 AM +0000 »

Happy to contribute but I joined paypal a few of years ago and never had cause to use it much, I never wrote down the details and now no matter what I do, requesting password change, changing payment, e-mail, all no luck , it's screwed up for me at the moment Angry

Is there any other way to get a donation through?

Rich_A

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2006, 10:30:22 AM +0000 »

The rule already say that if your connection is not upto scratch you will be asked to leave, likely this will be the case with every technical issue, a few people who have been unable to get the game running stable have pulled out of championships themselves.

How good, bad or stable GTR is, seems to have zero correlation with the spec of someone's PC anyway.

GTR is quite a soild piece of software. It's only lack of understanding your system that causes problems - but I will make long post on troubleshooting in a bit.

Well I payed £5 to watch ALMS seasons on crash.net [Revs TV] and it's ace. I think by making payment mandatory you gain alot because it makes drivers first make sure there system is up to it, and so you can gurantee that attrition is lowered in races.

Drivers are forced to take it a little more seriously which can only be a good thing. Yea you can say, 'but it's against the open ended nature of the series' well that's a bit of a pathetic response. Sometimes freedom and open endedness can be mis-interpreted as carelessness. This can lead to chaos, and the last thing you want on the race track is chaos!!

You can still have an 'inclusive natured series' different countries, different backgrounds, very welcoming and freindly series - and at the same time you can have also mandatory payments. £10-£20 per series is not asking too much financially and of course Picnic takes less of the financial strain, but it's more what having to pay means - it means you don't just join up and lathargically find out your system can't handle it or you got controller problems which in turn affects potentially both standings and other drivers' attitudes towards the culprit and so the series. Each and every driver is a reflection of the series as a whole. You as a paying driver, have to be more sure that everything is working well otherwise you'll be wasting your money.

I would certainly feel taken more seriously if I had to pay, cause then I can be sure that those i'm racing with and against know to a greater extent what they are doing!!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2006, 10:45:32 AM +0000 by Rich_A » Logged

fozzmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2006, 10:46:38 AM +0000 »

Drivers are forced to take it a little more seriously which can only be a good thing. Yea you can say, 'but it's against the open ended nature of the series' well that's a bit of a pathetic response. Sometimes freedom and open endedness can be mis-interpreted as carelessness. This can lead to chaos, and the last thing you want on the race track is chaos!!

I would certainly feel taken more seriously if I had to pay, cause then I can be sure that those i'm racing with and against know to a greater extent what they are doing!!

Afaik Endurance isn't open, your place has to be earnt to a degree. I think your mis-interpretting the fact that there is no rule saying you must have X, Y and done Z, we have something better, a Dave making sensible decisions on who is in and out.

We need sprints, fun races and less serious things to bring people on (and into SimRacing.org.uk) and ensure that we have sufficient skill to have an Endurance. If we had a million members and a thousand really active racers, you'd have your uber serious elitest top league. If your proposing enforcing with hard rules right now, we'd have a grid of maybe 10 at best.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320742210327 / https://www.simracing.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=9771.0
popabawa
Legendary Leader
Former Moderators

Less yapping and more lapping!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2006, 10:51:08 AM +0000 »

I think by making payment mandatory you gain alot because it makes drivers first make sure there system is up to it, and so you can gurantee that attrition is lowered in races.

I think that by making payment mandatory you exclude a lot of good guys who can't afford to pay or don't see the worth as they can only participate infrequently.

Yea you can say, 'but it's against the open ended nature of the series' well that's a bit of a pathetic response. Sometimes freedom and open endedness can be mis-interpreted as carelessness. This can lead to chaos, and the last thing you want on the race track is chaos!!

If you are implying that the relatively open nature of simracing.org.uk is causing chaos on the track I'm really not sure which races you have been driving in Huh

And it's not "pathetic", openness is one of the foundations this community was founded on.

Legends Racing simracing team
Rich_A

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2006, 10:51:48 AM +0000 »

Well ok i'm maybe jumping the gun a little..

But maybe eventually the top division 1 series is mandatory pay. Then sprints and fun races are for introduction.

Rich_A

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2006, 10:54:56 AM +0000 »

I think by making payment mandatory you gain alot because it makes drivers first make sure there system is up to it, and so you can gurantee that attrition is lowered in races.

I think that by making payment mandatory you exclude a lot of good guys who can't afford to pay or don't see the worth as they can only participate infrequently.

Yea you can say, 'but it's against the open ended nature of the series' well that's a bit of a pathetic response. Sometimes freedom and open endedness can be mis-interpreted as carelessness. This can lead to chaos, and the last thing you want on the race track is chaos!!

If you are implying that the relatively open nature of simracing.org.uk is causing chaos on the track I'm really not sure which races you have been driving in Huh

And it's not "pathetic", openness is one of the foundations this community was founded on.

Pathetic is maybe wrong word, my point is that it can be easily misinterpreted and in actual fact have the opposite affect of what it is trying to achieve which is attraction.

If you can't afford the Division 1 series then stick to sprints and fun races where you'll find folk being disconnected and system/controller issues. But in Div 1, you have to pay - you know what you're doing and you are sure everything is running AOK. If you can afford a computer system though i'm sure you can afford to pay to race, this is not about 'only the rich can race' don't give me that. If you can sit and type on these forums then you have, rather than have not. And also if you can afford and even build system then i'm sure you're willing to work at making it run well in all aspect, i.e connection, system and controllers.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2006, 11:01:04 AM +0000 by Rich_A » Logged

Dave 'Gizmo' Gymer
Director General
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Currum auriga quasi furtivum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2006, 11:01:10 AM +0000 »

Both Picnic (who owns the server) and I (who own the website) are very uncomfortable with the idea of this becoming a "pay to play" club. For one thing, once it becomes a subscription instead of a donation, the level of responsibility and expectation increases; our friendly "little" club works well partly because we the moderators are able to enforce our benevolent dictatorship.

I should also take this opportunity to thank everyone who has contributed so far. Cool

To finish first, first you must have fins.
Dave 'Gizmo' Gymer
Director General
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Currum auriga quasi furtivum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2006, 11:02:45 AM +0000 »

But maybe eventually the top division 1 series is mandatory pay. Then sprints and fun races are for introduction.

It's simply not going to happen unless we have absolutely no other way to pay for the server, so let's move on please.

To finish first, first you must have fins.
fozzmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2006, 11:10:10 AM +0000 »

Lol, lets not beat up the selfless (is that the word) admins

Thanks Dave & Co :-)

PaulW

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2006, 11:15:08 AM +0000 »

Um,  Shocked

Give a man a fish- he'll eat for a day. But give him a fishing rod and... he'll break it up for firewood, or just possibly, swap it for a fish.
Rich_A

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2006, 11:20:11 AM +0000 »

I understand not wanting mandatory pay..

I will make post see if I can help with problems from Anders cause I know a fair bit and got my system running like a rock although it's due an annual clean up soon.  Kiss
« Last Edit: January 25, 2006, 11:24:37 AM +0000 by Rich_A » Logged

Simon Gymer
Former Moderators

Cool Bite

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2006, 11:58:52 AM +0000 »

Thanks again to Picnic for his generosity as well as everybody who has donated it is appreciated by everyone who races here. Even those that haven't donated, your participation in this club is also appreciated.

The league is administered, moderated and raced in on mainly good will alone and long may that continue. If Gizmo ever starts looking like Bernie Ecclestone I will be the first to kick him in the teeth a bit just so at least he stops wearing such awful wigs at the very least!

The rest has been said already.

Intel I7-4790K @ 4.0Ghz
MSI NVidia 2080 Ti Gaming X TRIO
16GB DDR3 2400Mhz
3x 1920x1080 27" monitors
Thrustmaster T300GTE Wheel + T3PA Pro Pedals
Edza

Crawler of Kerbs

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2006, 12:02:44 PM +0000 »

Hell lads, when I win the 150,000,000 euro lotto this weekend we're all doing this for real!  Grin
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com