The Spirit of British SimRacing   

Read this first!    

nonchalant-unilinear
April 27, 2024, 07:40:48 AM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15
  Print  
Author Topic: Server donations  (Read 99488 times)
picnic
Director, Servers
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2006, 12:03:41 PM +0000 »

I think some of Rich's ideas are idealistic rather than practicable. I like the idea of one car all season and have taken the Morgan in the sprints for S2 execpt for the first race (the backroom boys hadn't got it ready Wink) But enforcing such rules will lose us a lot of interest, I don't doubt a few may join us as a result but the balance would be many more go. Similarly for payment, plus it might become more of a job for those accepting it. You'd expect something for your pennies, quality of service etc. Currently informality is beneficial  Smiley

I enjoy the online nature of our races, I am by no means fast so need a few others not so good to compete against. The larger the base the more chance of that happening.

Everyone is free to use the server for our races, fun/league or otherwise. I entered into the server rental without any expectation of donations, these are gratefully received and thanks to all who've contributed, but there will never be a pay-to-play here if we can help it.

[ZiP]Tyf
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2006, 12:13:01 PM +0000 »

Amen to that.

Hmmm, and I'm not even religious, actually opposed to any form of it, but let's not start a rant on that as well... Enough ranting in this thread already...  Embarrassed Undecided Lips Sealed

Angry

T
Jamera

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2006, 02:22:16 PM +0000 »

Just been reading through this thread, and as one of the first members to suggest and advocate contributions to the cost of running the server/ community I am a little alarmed at the suggestion of a mandatory payment. It was only ever meant to  be a voluntary payment based on what members could afford and were willing to pay. I feel to move to what would in essence be a fee based service does not sit comfortably with me and seems to fly somewhat in the face of the ethos we have here
picnic
Director, Servers
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2006, 02:37:22 PM +0000 »

and seems to fly somewhat in the face of the ethos we have here

Exactly, it won't happen. I'm sure we will always find one way or another to keep racing available to all  Smiley

LEUVEN

???

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2006, 04:15:27 PM +0000 »

Is PayPal the Only way to Donate?

They keep me locked up in this cage, can't they see it's why my brain says Rage.
Dave 'Gizmo' Gymer
Director General
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Currum auriga quasi furtivum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2006, 04:21:45 PM +0000 »

Is PayPal the Only way to Donate?

At present, yes, although I'm sure if you asked Picnic privately he'd supply the sort code and account number into which UK bankers could submit beer e-tokens directly. Wink

To finish first, first you must have fins.
Dave 'Gizmo' Gymer
Director General
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Currum auriga quasi furtivum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: April 10, 2006, 05:27:32 PM +0100 »

And another £95 on its way. Thanks to all those who've contributed. thumbup2

To finish first, first you must have fins.
picnic
Director, Servers
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 10, 2006, 06:18:49 PM +0100 »

Wow, thanks peeps  rockon

Simon Gymer
Former Moderators

Cool Bite

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: April 17, 2006, 07:12:24 PM +0100 »

The current server contract runs out in May which means no more UKGTR/UKGTL.  Sad

JUST KIDDING!  Tongue angel

Both using the donations from all our generous members and the rest being bank rolled from the back-bone of Team Shark (Picnic, Gizmo and myself) we will be moving provider and getting a better, upgraded server. The best thing about this is that we can increase grid sizes, thus supporting more drivers per race.

We're moving from 4uServers to Jolt and going from a P4 2.4 to an AMD 4000+ with 1GB RAM without too much of a price hike.

The new server will cost £775 for the year, £380 of which will be paid for from the donations recieved from the previous year. Any further donations will be very gratefully recieved and help us continue to fund a server for the SimRacing club in the future. New donations will be put towards next years server.

I'd like to thank Picnic for his generosity of allowing SimRacing to use his server for the past year, it has provided a fantastic years worth or racing. Cheers!

Finally, I hope we all enjoy another year of SimRacing with the new server where we will move into GTL championships, continue with GTR (until it's sequel) championships and potentially delve into some more new sims like netKar pro and whatever else is coming out in the next year.

rockon

Intel I7-4790K @ 4.0Ghz
MSI NVidia 2080 Ti Gaming X TRIO
16GB DDR3 2400Mhz
3x 1920x1080 27" monitors
Thrustmaster T300GTE Wheel + T3PA Pro Pedals
popabawa
Legendary Leader
Former Moderators

Less yapping and more lapping!

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2006, 07:49:15 PM +0100 »

Amen, you guys have done us proud.

You deserve one of these...  Kiss

Legends Racing simracing team
[ZiP]Tyf
« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2006, 12:56:01 AM +0100 »

:race on:

Tongue

T
ginsters sponsored
Grey Leader
Former Moderators

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2006, 09:39:51 AM +0100 »

I had no idea how much server cost, ouch  Embarrassed. Thanks once again chaps and a donation for season 3, and the promised netkar league   Wink, is on the way.

locutos ukgtr
Former Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 18, 2006, 05:04:52 PM +0100 »

Thankyou Picnic, Gizmo and Shark.  thumbup2 clap

Aagramn
Former Moderators

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: April 18, 2006, 05:18:09 PM +0100 »

Thanks server bankrollers & all contributers for giving us somewhere to race.

Team Shark

GT Rank Name: Michael Bennett

The correct procedure is brake-swear, not swear-brake.
Don
Blue and Orange Leader
Former Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2006, 05:22:46 PM +0100 »

Thanks to everyone involved.This has got to be one of the best on-line communities out there Wink
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com