The Spirit of British SimRacing   

Read this first!    

nonchalant-unilinear
March 19, 2024, 09:06:38 AM +0000 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15
  Print  
Author Topic: Server donations  (Read 95704 times)
Dave 'Gizmo' Gymer
Director General
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Currum auriga quasi furtivum

View Profile WWW
« on: October 11, 2005, 09:04:52 PM +0100 »

Please read this post for an explanation as to why we're not going to be asking for donations after this round of funding.

Please spare a moment to read this

We are able to host these races at Simracing.co.uk due to the time and effort generously given by like minded enthusiasts and by donations.

If we charged for racing it would currently work out to about 50p per driver per race (based on the final quarter of 2010) - that's what it costs Simracing.org.uk to provide the server for all the series.

So, if you currently don't donate, please consider how many races you will partake in for three months and times that by 50p. Not much is it? So how about making that your minimum amount to donate? Of course you may wish to donate more, that's entirely up to you.

But this is the stark reality. If you don't donate, Simracing.org.uk will cease to be.

Donating is simple - see below for details.

And remember the only person that profits from all this is you.

Thanks for reading.

I've put a button at the top of the page which will take you to a PayPal payment screen; the button only appears when we are short of funds. If possible, for UK members especially we would prefer to receive donations via direct bank transfer to avoid PayPal's transaction fees (and future hassles from them - I've already been through the wringer once!). Please PM Picnic or myself directly to get bank account details.

If you do not need to pay by credit card, you can send funds from an existing PayPal balance or via bank transfer into PayPal using http://paypal.me/gizmo71 without incurring fees.

Where practical, we would prefer that teams collect donations among their members and pass them on in a single transaction, especially if donating via PayPal.

I propose that we keep donations anonymous (only I will have any idea who has sent what) and will keep the members updated as to the total made.

We only collect money to cover costs already incurred; typically that is just the next three month's server rental.

Thanks in advance for any and all donations!

Note that UKGPL have their own server fund, details of which can be found in this topic.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2023, 05:12:58 PM +0100 by Dave 'Gizmo' Gymer » Logged

To finish first, first you must have fins.
Dave 'Gizmo' Gymer
Director General
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2005, 10:28:00 AM +0100 »

Just a brief update; so far we've raised £130. Thanks to everyone who has contributed.

David M

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2005, 03:27:31 PM +0100 »

Wow, excellent.

Sorry I can't donate, no job and school leaves nae much time to work really.. Angry
Jamera

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2005, 10:10:39 PM +0100 »

SUPERB response guys!!!!!
fozzmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2005, 10:48:49 PM +0100 »

Nice one, I'll be re-donating for S2 Enduro. The donations no doubt don't cover all the costs, but Picnic can at least have beers on us :-)

Thanks again Picnic, Dave, Shark, Paul968 and anyone else I forgotten / don't know about who takes part in the running of UKGTR/SimRacing.org.uk

Fozz
« Last Edit: October 17, 2005, 10:50:39 PM +0100 by fozzmeister » Logged

I am selling my Virtual Roadster cockpit on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320742210327 / https://www.simracing.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=9771.0
iRacing = Matthew Forrester
picnic
Director, Servers
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2005, 09:06:02 AM +0100 »

I would like to thank everybody who has generously donated to the fund. If I can, this money will be used to finance a server upgrade so we can perhaps support larger grids. Not sure if this is possible as I am 5 months into a 12 month deal, fingers crossed tho, it is in the hands of the hosting company.

Thanks Pete

locutos ukgtr
Former Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2005, 10:18:45 PM +0100 »

Kewl, keep us posted Picnic, tnx.

Jamera

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2005, 04:28:27 PM +0000 »

How are the donations going Dave, do we need any more???
Dave 'Gizmo' Gymer
Director General
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2005, 05:28:46 PM +0000 »

How are the donations going Dave, do we need any more???

Always. Wink Cheesy

I handed £140 over the Picnic, and have received another £25 donation since; I'm waiting for that to reach £50 so I can get it out without PayPal relieving me of more of it on the way out. Roll Eyes

mclaessen

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2005, 05:51:47 PM +0000 »

oh my  Shocked only that much?

I think the problem is that people really don't have any idea how much money hosting a server costs  Smiley

greg130
Former Moderators

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2005, 06:26:41 PM +0000 »

Or how much would be a reasonable amount to contribute.

28CDM : http://www.28cd.co.uk

GtrRank name = Greg130

" border="0
" border="0
fozzmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2005, 06:31:37 PM +0000 »

Well really the problem is that hardly anyone donates (prolly). There's a shed load of us, even if you just count the regulars.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320742210327 / https://www.simracing.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=9771.0
Truetom

Ljubljana, Slovenia

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2005, 07:00:42 PM +0000 »

I thought we'll be having a surplus?!  Huh

Maybe donations are too low. 20 ppl * 20 pounds = 400 . Or is the math different nowadays? I think 20 should be low sum enough to contribute.  Undecided
fozzmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2005, 07:29:14 PM +0000 »

Well there have got to be more than 20 people racing regularly, the grids are 24 and they are often full, and most people don't compete in everything.

Hosting is probably 100 a month(ish) for that spec machine, if not more, so we are no way covering the costs, but I don't know if the machine has another job, forinstance it could be a web server or something too?HuhHuh

I didn't donate 20, I'm personally donating a fiver for every championship, every season, so I've donated 10 so far.

Fozz

picnic
Director, Servers
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2005, 07:39:27 PM +0000 »

I am not that rich Fozz  Wink The server costs me a little over half that per month but I did have to commit to a years hosting. Sadly the deal is for gaming bandwidth only so I can't use it for web or file serving, not that I'd want to on a games server where performance is an issue.

At the moment I have not been able to arrange an upgrade deal on the current system, but that route is not yet dead. I would still rather use the money to upgrade what we have. We shall see, I am sadly in their hands having a year's deal.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com