by SimRacing.org.uk  

Read this first!    

nonchalant-unilinear
March 28, 2024, 09:09:18 AM +0000 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Standards in iRacing events  (Read 10126 times)
popabawa
Legendary Leader
Former Moderators

Less yapping and more lapping!

View Profile
« on: March 04, 2010, 06:58:02 PM +0000 »

The catalyst for this post was the very high number of incidents at the Brands Hatch Indy race but the general comments apply to most races, they could all be cleaner.

We're half way through the season and we still seem to be getting far too many incidents, far too many instances of cars leaving the track, cars making contact etc.

The following shouldn't be news to anyone I think it's worth repeating and we'd like all drivers to follow the SRouk guidelines;

1. Please come to the race with an adequate amount of preparation / practice. Without that it's very easy to ruin someone else's race. The Skip Barber is a very tricky car to drive and it is very easy to damage so should be treated as such. Practice sessions are available the day before and prior to the races to get experience running in traffic, sharing set-up's, watching faster drivers etc.

2. If a driver is involved in an incident involving another car during the race, they should report it by using the report form (found at the bottom of each event's page). If incidents are not reported it is very difficult to improve standards.

3. When joining from the pits or re-joining the track after leaving the normal racing line, please do it safely and considerately. Using the F3 display should help to make the decision whether it's safe to join the track.

4. If you are being lapped, please act appropriately, it is the responsibility of the car lapping to make the pass safely but the lapped car has an important role to play and a driver who is about to be lapped should not unreasonably hold up the faster competitor.

5. In qualifying sessions, don't race another car if your lap is spoiled or you are on an out-lap.

6. Practice session should be treated no differently to qualifying or race sessions. Normal levels of courtesy, sportmanship and gentlemanly behaviour are demanded. However, these sessions are designed for drivers to improve their skills and inevitably this may result in incidents and appropriate leeway will be given. Mistakes happen, especially when you are trying to find the limit. Blatant or deliberate trangression of the rules is protestable however.

Legends Racing simracing team
Kerr

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 07:05:12 AM +0000 »

I don't know if there is any plans to change things mid-season but I think we could do with some changes to assist.

Firstly the reset has to go in my opinion and drivers must park dangerously damaged cars.

Track choice should favour larger tracks at the moment. It's probably safer to have a big track and keep as much of the field apart for as long as possible.

It's clear guys are turning up with no practice. I still believe our race on a Tuesday should be the track from the previous iRacing week which would allow guys to get real race action in
Ken Murray

Ducati 996 @ Cadwell Mountain

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 08:02:26 AM +0000 »

I still believe our race on a Tuesday should be the track from the previous iRacing week which would allow guys to get real race action in

I agree, but I'm happy to see out S2 as it is.
popabawa
Legendary Leader
Former Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 08:49:23 AM +0000 »

I agree on the resets. I think they are hindering much more than helping.

We saw in iRacing that the races immediately became cleaner when the resets were removed at the higher licences, I think, even if it's subconsciously, people do drive differently knowing there's that safety net. Secondly, because of the non-fast nature of the "fast" tow Wink the quicker guys end up way down the field and mixing it with slower drivers which can lead to mistakes.

Drivers should indeed park dangerously damaged cars, if someone is clearly off the pace and struggling this is protestable and would be looked at quite harshly I expect.

I have to shoulder the blame for the track choice this week, it wasn't a great choice in retrospect and was probbaly only going to result in problems.

I tried to match the tracks to the official series as far as I could this season but as I took the decision not to use Lime Rock or Summit (because those races weren't great last year either!) it wasn't that easy. I will most certainly use what we've learned from this season when I schedule S3.

Adam Parle
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 08:57:27 AM +0000 »

I don't know that I have an issue with the resets - a fast tow is anything but fast - but comparing it to the pit stops in GTR2 when damage was being repaired it's probably faster on balance.  Until some sort of damage repair is implememnted in iR I would like to see one reset left in.

... drivers must park dangerously damaged cars.

100% - a badly damaged car would be black flagged in real life, and continuing to hobble round in a very badly damaged car shows more disrespect to other drivers than it shows commitment to finish the race.

It would be good to follow the iR schedule to a certain extent - there's a good bit of variety in the Skippy schedule these days, and being a relatively low level series on iR I don't think that it's unreasonable for people racing with iR (even if only in private leagues) to own all the tracks the Skippy would be running.

I have to shoulder the blame for the track choice this week, it wasn't a great choice in retrospect and was probbaly only going to result in problems.

Noooo - I had an absolute blast driving it - yes a number of incidents occuring was foreseeable, but on current form aren't they always?  I really enjoyed the car/track combo and would really like to race it again.
popabawa
Legendary Leader
Former Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 09:24:00 AM +0000 »

yes a number of incidents occuring was foreseeable, but on current form aren't they always?

Well, no, we've had a lot less incidents on the longer tracks.

Adam Parle
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 09:27:13 AM +0000 »

I was just reiterating your comment about having more incidents than we should - I know the corner count is about the same so there's no reason the IP should have been higher at Brands.
Truetom

Ljubljana, Slovenia

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 09:36:45 AM +0000 »

I don't know that I have an issue with the resets - a fast tow is anything but fast - but comparing it to the pit stops in GTR2 when damage was being repaired it's probably faster on balance.  Until some sort of damage repair is implememnted in iR I would like to see one reset left in.

I think the greatest difference is the fragility of iR cars. GTR2 cars can take some beating and you  can drive them even damaged - much more so than iR cars.
Tow is a joke and I would rather use TOW instead to punish some silly moves by some drivers. Tongue
popabawa
Legendary Leader
Former Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2010, 09:57:32 AM +0000 »

Sorry TT I'm not sure what you are saying?

Are you saying you'd rather see the tow removed?

ross.mcw

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2010, 10:55:10 AM +0000 »

Personally I think having 1 tow/fix allowed would be a good balance (is that what we have now?).

Not allowing any wouldn't be the end of the world, but I personally would feel very bad if I screwed up and unintentionally caused damage to someone else and they had no way of continuing through no fault of their own.

I've reversed my position on allowing multiple tow/fixes now having had a bit more experience of iRacing.

Completely agree that continuing with a badly damaged car should be a very big no no.

Cheers, Ross.
Truetom

Ljubljana, Slovenia

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2010, 12:18:16 PM +0000 »

Sorry TT I'm not sure what you are saying?

Are you saying you'd rather see the tow removed?

Simply that I don't see any use of actualy using the tow, unless you stay in the race for the sole joy of driving. Wink
Reason?
Short laps: using the tow gets you at least one lap behind leaders. Anyone faster comes behind you, you gotta let him pass (1 lap behind) and you lose more and more. Joy of driving gets kind of stale. Tongue
Long laps: tow gets you even further behind, two or three laps. You might get back to driving against somebody if you catch the group that is marginaly slower.
Generaly a long lap track offers back more, even if you don't race against others (like Road America in the Skip) but I'm not comming here for hotlapping.

Keep or ditch the tow - I'm simply saying I'm not using it. Smiley 
Fred Basset
Incident Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2010, 01:19:21 PM +0000 »

For me the race went better than I hoped, I too thought it was a great place to race and it was amazing how many people were on a similar pace. I'd like to race here again.

On the tow, I'm ambivalent either way, 1 strikes a good balance.

Gary
ross.mcw

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2010, 01:21:52 PM +0000 »

Yeah, on the track side of things I have to say that I really enjoy the short tracks as well simply because there's always something going on.  Nothing worse than a mid-pack 20 lap drive around on your own.

Cheers, Ross.
Burtoner

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2010, 01:22:26 PM +0000 »

I think we should have just one reset, it isnt much to ask for. I think also we or I do tend to race more harder and more faster because we dont have to worry about SR and IR.

Maybe we should implement divisions?

UKGPL Season 14 Club Champion
ginsters sponsored
Grey Leader
Former Moderators

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2010, 01:28:34 PM +0000 »

I think also we or I do tend to race more harder and more faster because we dont have to worry about SR and IR.

You tend to race less carefully in UKiR races? I did wonder if others thought the same. If so, that dissapoints me as the only reason I've got iR is to race it here only to find its low priority stuff for others. If thats the case, standards which I've not really been impressed with aren't gonna get a lot better? :'(
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 01:30:07 PM +0000 by ginsters sponsored » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: