by SimRacing.org.uk  

Read this first!    

nonchalant-unilinear
April 27, 2024, 04:56:16 PM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Poll
Question: Which car should we use for S3 lower series?  (Voting closed: April 15, 2010, 11:11:48 AM +0100)
Skip Barber - 1 (4.5%)
Late Model (road series) - 5 (22.7%)
Don't care - 0 (0%)
Other (specify in comments) - 5 (22.7%)
Star Mazda - 3 (13.6%)
Advanced Legend (road series) - 8 (36.4%)
Total Voters: 20

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: *** CLOSED*** iRacing S3 - car discussion - Lower series  (Read 3530 times)
popabawa
Legendary Leader
Former Moderators

Less yapping and more lapping!

View Profile
« on: March 25, 2010, 09:10:52 AM +0000 »

Rather than have an entirely open discussion I wanted to offer a couple of choices to help frame the discussion. Obviously there are other possibilities but we think we're offering the best chioces for close and enjoyable racing. If you feel strongly otherwise then I'm sure you can find the 'reply' button Wink

The Skip is a known entity seeing as we've used it for 2 seasons.

The Late Model (which I'll emphasise will be a road series) offers a more robust, easier to drive alternative with a proven record as a road car choice.

Vote and discuss Smiley
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 11:07:37 AM +0000 by popabawa » Logged

Legends Racing simracing team
ross.mcw

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 09:21:30 AM +0000 »

Not sure this counts (or will be popular!) but I think a Mazda series would be really great if there is enough support.  It's a nice balance between the slow skippy and the mad Dallara.

Cheers, Ross.
Kerr

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 09:28:01 AM +0000 »

I would prefer to have one open wheeler and something else but not the late model.

The DP or the Radical would get my shout.
Adam Parle
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 09:28:14 AM +0000 »

It's a nice balance between the slow skippy and the mad Dallara.

I think it's a little too similar.

For the lower car I'm in favour of the SRF - it's not too disimilar to the Skip Barber, but a little less fragile.  It's a car that everyone has got, and with limited setup options it's all about driving the car rather than setting it up.

I think that the Late could be an interesting choice - but it's very much dependant on the track choices as to how viable it would be.

Another car I'd like to race on the road is the Advanced Legend, although it can be a handfull too ... is proposing the Rookie Legend a bit daft?

To summarize .... SRF or Advanced Legend.
Dave 'Gizmo' Gymer
Director General
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Currum auriga quasi furtivum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 09:43:25 AM +0000 »

Advanced Legend would be interesting - I keep missing out on the road series for it. Roll Eyes

Personally I'm strongly in favour of the Late Model; for me, it's the most enjoyable road racing car in iRacing.

I used to love the Radical but I found myself struggling with it when I returned to iRacing last year and I've now given it up completely.

The Spec Racer is at least as difficult to drive as the Skippy. It may be less fragile but IMHO it's got even worse lift throttle oversteer and less steering feel too.

The Mazda I hate with a passion. I've got zero feel for it - far worse than the IndyCar - plus it sounds like a hair dryer. laugh

To finish first, first you must have fins.
spanner
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Team Prodigy - UKGTR/UKAC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 09:46:57 AM +0000 »

As a 'rookie' type class i would go with the Mazda as its got more grip than power making it easy and fun to drive. I feel the skippy is doing everything it can to prevent me from driving it at times.

Radicals would be nice as well i suppose. LM is an unknown for me as i've barely touched the oval side of things, even if everyone seems to like the car.

Learn to love the Pork Smiley

Team Prodigy - Just like Team Oldie only younger, faster, less grey hair and kinder to the environment!
popabawa
Legendary Leader
Former Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 09:51:39 AM +0000 »

I've added the Mazda as we've had a couple of shouts for it already, you can change your vote if you previously stuck it on 'other'.

Simon Gymer
Former Moderators

Cool Bite

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 09:52:41 AM +0000 »

As a lower car I'd rather use the Radical than any of those. Has the advantage of mostly being an open cockpit to make it easier to see the opposition and judge where they are (for those of us without a 3 monitor setup!). As a C class car it has the advantage of being a proper racing car without being too hard or to boring.

Late Model is a brick on wheels, it's fun, but not a proper racing car. Mazda yuk. Skippy yuk. SRF, booooooooooring. Jetta potentially, I haven't got it but have had a go and it's more fun than you'd think, but I think would result in panel bashing, as would the Late Model.

Whichever way you do it don't have a closed cockpit car in both the upper and lower series.

Intel I7-4790K @ 4.0Ghz
MSI NVidia 2080 Ti Gaming X TRIO
16GB DDR3 2400Mhz
3x 1920x1080 27" monitors
Thrustmaster T300GTE Wheel + T3PA Pro Pedals
Dave 'Gizmo' Gymer
Director General
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Currum auriga quasi furtivum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 09:53:30 AM +0000 »

One other thing that occurs to me is that we don't have to split the two series into "simple" and "advanced" - we could run the DP in one and the IndyCar in the other, as a "prototype" and "single seater" divide instead.

To finish first, first you must have fins.
popabawa
Legendary Leader
Former Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010, 09:55:46 AM +0000 »

That's exactly the type of suggestion I was looking for prior to lanching the polls! lol

Bernie Lomax

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2010, 09:57:21 AM +0000 »

The Late model or the Adv Legend would be my choice.
For me they are more fun on road courses than any of the other cars. I've done a couple of the ORO Adv Legend road races on Sunday nights - for pure fun and enjoyment they were great.

I don't really have the time to spend setting up the higher licence/quicker cars or doing multiple hrs of praccy with them.

Something nice and simple for at least one of the series would be my preferred option.

Darren Seal
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2010, 10:10:35 AM +0000 »

The Adv Legend gets my vote...  It's a blast on road tracks (especially the short configurations like Brands Indy and Watkins Cup), and it's one of the FREE cars.  Therefore no purchase necessary for our newer members..
popabawa
Legendary Leader
Former Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2010, 10:12:49 AM +0000 »

Added the Advanced Legend as that's had a couple of shouts now.

Alex vV

Gentleman Driver

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2010, 10:22:11 AM +0000 »

The Late model or the Adv Legend would be my choice.
For me they are more fun on road courses than any of the other cars. I've done a couple of the ORO Adv Legend road races on Sunday nights - for pure fun and enjoyment they were great.

I don't really have the time to spend setting up the higher licence/quicker cars or doing multiple hrs of praccy with them.

Something nice and simple for at least one of the series would be my preferred option.

yes Totally agree with mister Lomax.

Adv Legends has my vote because they are fun to drive.

Blunder
iRacing Indycar Host
Incident Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2010, 10:51:38 AM +0000 »

Late Model gets my vote!
Did the fun race and it was exactly that, really really good fun which would be a nice contrast to the knuckle wrenching upper series!  Cheesy

I'd rather be iRacing Ovals.... Smiley     iRacing id= Martin Mason
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: