by SimRacing.org.uk  

Read this first!    

nonchalant-unilinear
April 28, 2024, 02:39:46 PM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Poll
Question: Question: Which car should we use for S3 upper series?  (Voting closed: April 15, 2010, 10:26:43 AM +0100)
Don't care - 6 (27.3%)
Riley Daytona Prototype - 11 (50%)
Don't care - 2 (9.1%)
Other (specify in comments) - 3 (13.6%)
Total Voters: 21

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: iRacing S3 - car discussion - Upper series  (Read 6042 times)
popabawa
Legendary Leader
Former Moderators

Less yapping and more lapping!

View Profile
« on: March 25, 2010, 09:26:43 AM +0000 »

Rather than have an entirely open discussion I wanted to offer a couple of choices to help frame the discussion. Obviously there are other possibilities but we think we're offering the best chioces for close and enjoyable racing. If you feel strongly otherwise then I'm sure you can find the 'reply' button Wink

Personally I love the Dallara but the grids have possibly been a bit smaller than we would have hoped for. With a few comments about people not enjoying the car and finding it a bit tricky to drive we wanted to offer an alternative.

I'm sure most of you are familiar with it but the Riley Daytona Prototype is certainly the best GT-type car in iRacing and is probably a bit easier to drive than the Dallara and in my view, easier to set up.

Legends Racing simracing team
Kerr

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 09:36:57 AM +0000 »

What I would like to see is our races running behind the official series as much as we can.

A few people have made comments about how hard it is to prepare for a Dallara race due to time restrictions after completing their iRacing schedule.

If it followed the official series there is a whole week to make sure you are race prepared.
spanner
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Team Prodigy - UKGTR/UKAC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 09:40:27 AM +0000 »

But just how many people here can run the official Indycar series?

My personal preference would be the DP as i've heard good things about it, though i guess alot of people would probably like to stick with the Indycar as i guess for the more alien amongst us its quite a challenge.

Learn to love the Pork Smiley

Team Prodigy - Just like Team Oldie only younger, faster, less grey hair and kinder to the environment!
popabawa
Legendary Leader
Former Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 09:46:48 AM +0000 »

Good point re. tracks Brian.

There's a few things going on with the tracks that makes it difficult to exacly match the official series though, as we're running alternate weeks, sometimes a very unappealing track is on offer in the official series (Lime Rock!) and I don't want to run a non-fun track just to match the official races.

Secondly, track choice has definitely had an effect on participation here, again, I don't want to compromise that just to match the official series.

Thirdly, we don't have all the tracks on our rota yet but that's becoming less of an issue each season as we introduce now one's

It has been tough in the Dallara as we've all have to get new set-up's and re-learn the car to some extrent. Next season I don't think it would be quite as difficult.

Dave 'Gizmo' Gymer
Director General
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Currum auriga quasi furtivum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 09:53:26 AM +0000 »

Personally I'm loving the DP more than ever (I even have a serious sniff at the D5 title this season!). That's not to say I've not been enjoying the IndyCar, but I've spent far more time practising and setting up that car and I don't know how much longer I can sustain that and still retain interest in it (especially when I'm not doing the official series).

That said, it would be a shame to lose all single seater action. If we could drum up some new members, IndyCar in one series and DP in the other could work.

To finish first, first you must have fins.
Blunder
iRacing Indycar Host
Incident Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 10:49:21 AM +0000 »

For me the main criteria has to be can I make use of SROU league practice / races to then do Public ones!
Loving the Indycar and will be giving the public races a go!
Like Dave's idea, I did the 2 hour DP race and really enjoyed it!
I'll sit on the fence for the upper series Smiley

I'd rather be iRacing Ovals.... Smiley     iRacing id= Martin Mason
Mike Wrightson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 11:41:25 AM +0000 »

I would like to stay with the Dallara.  I'd rather practice for a league race than go through the frustrations of the official series that I don't always have time for. 

The Dallara is good and raceable, easy to drive but hard to keep at 100%.  There was a big physics correction in this build and I don't think it will change anywhere near as dramatically in the next one.  If we want to stay open-wheel this is a no-brainer.

I've don't have the DP, so I don't know what it's like.  The Williams F1 sounds interesting for the future, but it will be faster and harder to drive, need to wait and see.

Team Shark!
Burtoner

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 12:17:39 PM +0000 »

I go with the DP Smiley

Driven it before and will drive it again, other reason is I know Team Shark do well with a 1-2-3 other night at Road Atlanta  Grin

UKGPL Season 14 Club Champion
Mike Wrightson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 02:01:52 PM +0000 »

One request if we stay with the Indycar:  Let's do the Milwaukee mile oval rather than the big speedway. Smiley

Team Shark!
popabawa
Legendary Leader
Former Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010, 02:05:52 PM +0000 »

It's a big ask for people to get that track just for this series though Mike. A lot of guys aren't racing ovals and so only have the free content. That's why Charlotte is on the schedule.

Paul Thurston
Former Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2010, 02:07:44 PM +0000 »

I vote Lotus 79.

I know I'm a bit lonely in my affection for it but what the hell.

Paul
Smiley
Mike Wrightson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2010, 02:24:50 PM +0000 »

It's a big ask for people to get that track just for this series though Mike. A lot of guys aren't racing ovals and so only have the free content. That's why Charlotte is on the schedule.
No worse than having to buy another car if we change from the Dallara?

I'm not buying any more content yet anyway until I know what I need to race here, I am not doing much official racing.

Team Shark!
mr_oily
Former Moderators

www.steelsnaps.co.uk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2010, 02:38:29 PM +0000 »

Would you entertain the idea of running a Race of Champions style season to let us get a better feel for what works? Essentially different car line-ups each week, perhaps split into upper and lower still.

Do we have any idea how many of the people participating in the iR races are missing the cars we're discussing? It's certainly a lot less than when we first started the season.

Maybe for the top guys it's different but personally, I feel like I'm spoiled for choice in terms of cars  and the chance to focus properly each week on racing a few different ones, and alongside drivers I know aren't (all) lunatics really appeals.
Dave 'Gizmo' Gymer
Director General
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Currum auriga quasi furtivum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2010, 02:58:17 PM +0000 »

No worse than having to buy another car if we change from the Dallara?

I think it is - buy a car and get up to 6 races out of it. Buy a track and you only get 1.

To finish first, first you must have fins.
Paul968
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2010, 03:02:59 PM +0000 »

...and the cars are generally cheaper.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: