by SimRacing.org.uk  

Read this first!    

April 28, 2024, 04:38:36 PM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Poll
Question: Which cars would you race in a series?  (Voting closed: April 16, 2010, 11:59:06 AM +0100)
Advanced Legends (road series) - 10 (9.1%)
Skip Barber - 18 (16.4%)
Spec Racer Ford - 11 (10%)
VW Jetta - 11 (10%)
Late Model (road series) - 19 (17.3%)
Star Mazda - 21 (19.1%)
Radical - 20 (18.2%)
Total Voters: 28

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  
Author Topic: iRacing S3 - car discussion V2 - Lower series  (Read 6651 times)
Dave 'Gizmo' Gymer
Director General
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Currum auriga quasi furtivum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: April 18, 2010, 09:42:03 AM +0100 »

They feel and drive like go karts, they have no steering feel because the front tyres are like balloons.

Strangely I've felt that I've got a lot more steering feel in the Skippy since I started using a much lower front end. Maybe it's related to how you set your wheel up in Windows.

To finish first, first you must have fins.
Paul Thurston
Former Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 18, 2010, 10:24:44 AM +0100 »

They feel and drive like go karts, they have no steering feel because the front tyres are like balloons.

Strangely I've felt that I've got a lot more steering feel in the Skippy since I started using a much lower front end. Maybe it's related to how you set your wheel up in Windows.
That's interesting.

By dropping the front you're changing the rake which will of course increase the wings angle giving you more downforce so more weight on the tyres at speed.  Could be that.

Rake affecting the wing angle is certainly modelled on the Radical so I'd be surprised if it wasn't on the skip.  Assuming it is, how rake affects front/rear wings would be handy to know.  When I dropped the front I found the balance switched to high speed oversteer which would imply the front wing's more sensitive.  I didn't test it properly though as I was faster and more comfortable with it high.
Dave 'Gizmo' Gymer
Director General
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: April 18, 2010, 11:12:40 AM +0100 »

I remember rake angle being introduced for the DP, but I don't remember it ever being rolled out to the earlier cars. That might explain why I've struggled so much with the SR8 since my return to iRacing.

I'd be surprised if there's much of an aero effect from rake angle on the Skippy though because the primary effect is on the underbody aero, not the wing angles. It'll have major effect on cars like the DP (where the effect is very pronounced) and Radical with big, low flat bottoms (insert own joke here), venturi and so on, but probably not much on the Skippy with its much smaller underbody and big ride height.

It could also be my imagination. Cheesy

Paul Thurston
Former Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 18, 2010, 12:21:17 PM +0100 »

It could also be my imagination. Cheesy
Indeed.  Grin

I would never claim that the higher, low pressure setups were faster.  I'd have trouble doing so with so many people ahead of me.  I'm more comfortable with them though which gives me the confidence to push and that's worth a second a lap.
Dave 'Gizmo' Gymer
Director General
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: April 18, 2010, 12:52:18 PM +0100 »

I'm more comfortable with them though which gives me the confidence to push and that's worth a second a lap.

Absolutely - on a road course, setups aren't the key to speed, they're the key to confidence, and confidence is the key to speed.

That and alien DNA. laugh alien

JohnBayes

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 19, 2010, 08:27:57 PM +0100 »

Are the series seperate for scoring POV or combined?

Only interested in the Mazdas Smiley

Regards - John

OH I am a noob around here BTW Smiley
Mike Wrightson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: April 19, 2010, 11:24:37 PM +0100 »

Hey John Smiley

They are separate series.

Team Shark!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  

Jump to: