Quarterly cost: �0

March 29, 2024, 02:21:05 PM +0000 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
S4455GPP
S4455GPW
S4466CA
S4467F1P
S4467F1W
S4467F2A
S4467F2P
S44JSMT
Recent
S4455GPW Indianapolis …
S4455GPP Indianapolis …
S4466CA Road America (…
S4467F1W Imola (1953-7…
S4467F1P Imola (1953-7…
S4467F2A Ingliston
S4467F2P Ingliston
Forthcoming
S44JSMT Goodwood (Circ…
S44JSMT Boreham Airfie…

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Linked Events
  • S19N Westwood Park: June 01, 2010
June 01, 2010, 09:41:20 PM +0100 - Westwood Park - UKGPL Season 19 (2010) Novices Trophy (65)
Driver
 Team
Nat. Make Model Class Qualifying Race
Tyres Pos Time/Gap Pos Time/Gap Laps Stops Best Retirement
reason
Ballast
vosblod
 Clark-Hill Racing
Lotus 33 (Climax 1965) F1 1965 7 +1.988
---
1 40:43.371
---
34 1:10.328
---
Dunlop  
Ross Neilson

Lotus 33 (Climax 1965) F1 1965 1 1:08.745
---
2 (+2) +44.281
---
34 1:08.970
---
Dunlop  
roguk
 Clark-Hill Racing
Cooper T77 (Climax) F1 1965 6 +1.867
---
3 +15.129
---
34 1:10.916
---
Dunlop  
NHance
 Mountside Racing
Brabham BT11 (Climax) F1 1965 2 +0.557
---
4 +16.288
---
34 1:10.234
---
Goodyear  
maestro57
 Black Night Racing
Brabham BT11 (Climax) F1 1965 3 +1.185
---
5 +21.573
---
34 1:10.303
---
Goodyear  
D-Rock

Lotus 33 (Climax 1965) F1 1965 4 +1.562
---
6 (+1) +43.256
---
34 1:10.447
---
Dunlop  
il_lupo_mannaro

Ferrari 512 F1 1965 5 +1.667
---
7 (+3) +53.278
---
34 1:09.929
---
Dunlop  
Nigel Smith

Honda RA272 F1 1965 8 +2.205
---
8 +1L
---
33 1:11.091
---
Goodyear  
Billy Nobrakes
 Black Night Racing
Brabham BT11 (Climax) F1 1965 9 +3.107
---
9 +11L
---
23 1:11.628
---
Goodyear  
norbert
 Antipasti Racing
Ferrari 512 F1 1965 10 +4.074
---
10 (+1) +21L
---
13 1:12.595
---
Dunlop  
5 UKGPL

Lotus 33 (Climax 1965) F1 1965 11 DNS ---
---
Dunlop  

Moderator's Report

This was another new track for UKGPL 65s and it appeared to be a success with some good driver comments and some good close racing.

A simple track to learn but the tricky braking points, sometimes in mid corner, can catch out the unwary.

NHance led most of the way but a poor end to the race saw him slip from the top of the podium giving Vosblod another win.

Server replay time: 0h01m40s

Fabio rear ends Nigel into the Hairpin.

Fabio appears to be considering an overtake but does not make a clean attempt and ends up hitting the back of Nigel.

It is always the responsibility of the following driver to avoid such a collision.

Server replay time: 0h07m45s

Norbert Stemmler leaves the track but keeps going forwards and manages to rejoin the track without spinning.

Unfortunately he moves across the track and hits D Rock who is lucky to recover and remain unaffected.

Server replay time: 0h19m25s

Ross Neilson rear ends Pete Maestro approaching the hairpin.
Pete hits both the 400 and 200 markers at the same speed as his previous lap when Ross was following him.

Ross just brakes too late and takes no avoiding action.

Pete takes a free SHIFT R

Server replay time: 0h19m25s

Following his SHIFT R after hitting Pete Maestro Ross spins on cold tyres going over the sand and ends up in the middle of the track.

He appears to panic a little as RogUK approaches and the 2 collide.

Though this could easily have incurred another penalty, I think the 2 place penalty for the original incident is sufficient and advice may be a better altenative.

Drivers should always take car when rejoining the track and be aware of what traffic is approaching at race speed.

If you do find yourself in the middle of the track it is always better to remain stationary until traffic has passed. It is very difficult to second guess a stationary car, and once the approaching driver commits to a line around it, it is very difficult to alter that line if the obstacle moves.

Perhaps in all the excitement Ross forgot to take his Stop n Go for the SHIFT R following his initial accident.

Server replay time: 0h41m19s

NHance is being overtaken by RogUK and turns into him before he is fully past. Both are contesting the corner but RogUK has the required overlap.

Although NHance touches RogUK I think that both would have made the corner had it not been for D Rock arriving far too quickly and hitting them both

Racing incident

• Racing incident

Server replay time: 0h41m20s

DRock rear ends both nhance and roguk who are both involved in a battle.

NHance is being overtaken by RogUK and both are contesting the corner as D Rock arrives far too quickly. Although he does not lock his wheels it is debatable whether he is losing control or not. The passing move ahead had slowed both drivers a little, but it is always the responsibility of the following driver to avoid such a collision.

SimRacing.org.uk Lap Records
Grand Prix Legends
F1 1965
1:08.745
---
Ross Neilson
Qualifying
Lotus 33 (Climax 1965)June 01, 2010, 09:41:20 PM +0100
S19N
Grand Prix Legends
F1 1965
1:08.970
---
Ross Neilson
Race
Lotus 33 (Climax 1965)June 01, 2010, 09:41:20 PM +0100
S19N
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: UKGPL Season 19 (2010) Novices Trophy (65) - Westwood Park - Jun 1  (Read 5396 times)
Phil Thornton
UKGPL Consigliere
Administrator

View Profile
« on: May 31, 2010, 07:06:53 PM +0100 »

Season 19 Novices Trophy - Round 5 - Westwood Park

The fifth round of the championship again sees the Novices at a different venue to the Amateurs.  This is a new track but quite short so easy to learn.

Reserve drivers should not join until there are only 30 mins of qualifying left.  However, all drivers should not go on track until there is 30 minutes of qualifying left.  This helps all drivers join the server successfully.  Please restrict chat to pit messages only, including at the end of the race until ALL drivers still racing have crossed the line.

Don't forget to use the updated 65 mod for this race.

Please be in the IGOR UKGPL chatroom by 8:55 p.m.
(You will need to set up a channel called #ukgpl if you haven't already done so)
IGOR and Race passwords: see above

Server = 5.UKGPL
IP Address = ping myjamesonline.net
Race Date = 01-06-2010
Time = 21:00
Track = Westwood Park
Variant = 65F1
Damage Model = Intermediate
Qually Time = 30 minutes.
Race Length = Long (34 Laps)
Password: see above

Driver lists can be found on the championship standings page

We have split the cars into groups based on average performance and split the drivers into groups based on average ability. The chassis numbers for Novices are as follows:

NOVICE CHASSIS GROUPS
1 - Lotus, Ferrari, BRM, Honda
2 - BT11
3 - Cooper
4 - BT7

Each driver has been given a seeding number and must pick a chassis with either an equal number or higher number but not a lower number. For example, if a driver is given a seeding of 2, he must pick one of the cars in group 2 (BT11) but if he would prefer to drive either the Cooper or BT7 he may do so. This means that a driver given a seeding of 1 can pick any chassis he prefers.

**NOTE**
Whichever chassis a driver begins his first race with is the chassis he must use for the remainder of the season unless a change has been agreed with the moderator.

The following drivers have made their chassis choice:

FULL TIME
Driver
Chassis
D-Rock
Lotus 33
NHance
Brabham BT11
roguk
Cooper T77
maddog
Cooper T77
maestro
Brabham BT11
il_lupo
Ferrari 512
happyal
BRM P261
Billy
Brabham BT11
gilles27
Lotus 33
G Poole
Brabham BT11
BookieW
BRM P261
Sharkfin
BRM P261
norbert
Ferrari 512
Vosblod
Lotus 33

RESERVES
Driver
Chassis
Nigel Smith
Honda RA272
karlisss
Honda RA272

The following drivers are still to make their chassis choice:

FULL TIME
DriverSeeding
Burtoner

RESERVES
DriverSeeding
miner2049er

Please use the updated 65 mod for this race which is available here:
Jamesonline.net/UKGPL
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 11:43:32 PM +0100 by Phil Thornton » Logged
Ross Neilson
UKGPL Divisional Moderator
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 10:26:20 PM +0100 »

Hi Phil,

Race length of Long is showing as 17 laps on my install of GPL, which I guess must be wrong, as that would be a 20 minute race. Can you confirm how many laps it will be? 34 seems about right.

Cheers,

Ross

Racing as Ross Neilson 65/66/69 for Clark-Hill Racing
Phil Thornton
UKGPL Consigliere
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 11:42:27 PM +0100 »

Well spotted Ross Grin.  Yes you are correct, 34 laps is about right for a 40 min race.  Don't know why the default race length is 56 for a GP, it should be 112.  We will have to set the 65season.ini file to 112 before we start the server.
il_lupo_mannaro

Ciao, Sic! #58

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 02:23:56 PM +0100 »

Which Westwood is the right one? There are three different ones on the track database...
Thx in advance

Fabio Locarno
---------------------------------------------
GPLRank +20.138
Monster of GPLRank +548.907
ChallengeRank +187.387
GPL65Rank +59.222
SadSadSadSadSad
-----------------------
vosblod
Former UKGPL Moderators

can divide by zero

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 07:13:34 PM +0100 »

Which Westwood is the right one? There are three different ones on the track database...
Thx in advance
Westwood 67 http://srmz.net/index.php?showtopic=3514
Ross Neilson
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 11:32:16 PM +0100 »

I had practiced a fair bit before this event, what with it being a new track I figured it was an opportunity to get a decent result. After a good qually I managed to get pole and was hopeful of getting through the first lap and pulling away to win.

However, like my last two poles, the start was a nightmare. I got wheelspin and veered left, then had to trundle on the grass as I didn't want to pull back onto the track and hit anyone. This meant I was down to 7th, which became 5th by the end of lap 1 as two guys went off in front of me.

After that I was cautious and tailed Fabio's Ferrari for a few laps before he made a mistake and let me into 4th. A few laps later this was second as I managed a couple of decent overtakes, possibly on Rog and NHance, thanks guys for racing cleanly with me.

After that it all went badly wrong. I hit Pete at the hairpin, after being caught out by his braking point. At the time I got the red mist and just reset my car and went charging back into the fray, when I should have taken a stop and go. After getting close to second placed Vos, I made another error and dropped to 5th. This became 2nd on the last lap after NHance's engine blow and D-Rock causing a 3-car incident at the hairpin.

In the previous races my errors have only affected myself, whereas tonight I really screwed up Pete's race. He was good about it afterwards when he had every right to call me all the names under the sun (I'm sure you did at the time Pete!).  Hopefully this time I will learn my lesson and calm down a bit - no doubt I will get a penalty for not SnG'ing.

Anyway well done to Vos who is very consistent, and hard luck to NHance who would have won I think, without the engine trouble.

See you at Mosport if they let me back onto the track!

Ross

Racing as Ross Neilson 65/66/69 for Clark-Hill Racing
vosblod
Former UKGPL Moderators

can divide by zero

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 12:46:43 AM +0100 »

A win so very pleased Grin, more so as I had to hit the grass on lap 1 following a spin in front which left me at the back.

My lack of practice didn't do any harm as, starting from 11's, a high 10 put me 7th in qually. As I got to know the track, I was picking up 10's / low 11's in the race.
No spins plus others going off slowly pulled me up the grid until I found myself in 2nd. With double figures left I saw Ross was behind and, with his times, I was expecting a battle before the end. Then he dropped back which left Norm up the road with a comfy lead. Bad luck on the engine blow-out Norm, it gifted me first but **it happens.
I was not quickest by any stretch but best average lap time (according to the report) did it for me, well that and Norm's misfortune.
roguk

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 01:14:03 AM +0100 »

Some really good racing by all drivers at this newish track Westwood, swopped places several times, last lap just passed Nhance at hairpin for 2nd place when D-rock braked late and took us both out gilles27 cruised past to take 2nd place LOL thats racing.
Grats to Vos for win and gilles27 for 2nd, commiserations to Nhance a few 100yds from finish to go from 2nd to 4th. See you all at Mosport in 2 weeks.
Billy Nobrakes
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 10:05:10 AM +0100 »

Westwood has to go down as one of my least favourite tracks. Couldn’t find a set up that really seemed to work & no major surprise to start on the back row of the grid. First few laps were OK then I made mistakes on three consecutive laps – found some rhythm again until around lap 20. When I went off track in 2 places I’d never come off before I decided enough was enough ~ it was time to retire.

Well done to Vos on the win and those who managed to tame the track. Hope we won’t be racing there again any time soon.

Leading from the back at Black Night Racing
NHance

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2010, 10:40:05 AM +0100 »

GPL is only a game, but......... .Nice handy 2nd to Pete gave me time to plot strategy when I saw pole man Ross coming decided to give him plenty of room if he tried to pass knowing that  Pete would not be so obliging when he caught him & a crash may ensue. It did, so on lap 16 I inherited a nice big lead until I passed the pits on lap 29 when the engine died. I must have been over revving the engine at some point although well before then I had backed off for a cruise to the finish. Shift R, did a lap, Vos passed me. Came out of s&g with 4 secs lead over Rog, D Rock & Ross but with cold tyres & full tanks they were on me by 3 corners. Managed to hold out until the last lap when there was a crash at the hairpin which I'll leave to the mods. depends how they see it.
I was totally gutted on the night. This was my best chance yet of a win but I must blame myself for the engine blow up.
Anyway well done to those who grabbed their opportunities & got a podium & must mention my team mate Clutch who got 2nd place in the Ams - his best result yet I think
I'm over it now after all it's only a game. Grin
Norm H  
maestro57

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2010, 08:20:48 PM +0100 »

Really pleased to qually 3rd Grin behind Norm and storming Ross in Pole

Really like this track. BUT it somehow seems to be able to keep catching you out. You either out brake yourself at Marshals at end of the long straight or get a rear wheel on the grass in a corner at Carousel or Valley and round you go. Really Tricky

Sitting on the grid I decided more people are going to make more mistakes here than most places so to play it cool and staying on the black stuff was going deliver some good points

Flag goes down and Ross promptly drives off the circuit into the Pits?  ???This leaves a clear track in front and with a stonking start I get passed Norm and into 1st by T1

Carry on tip toeing round and after a few laps I can see in Prib Norm and the others are losing time which I assume is due to a wobble here and there

Excellent I thought keep on the track and Im home and dry

I knew Ross was likely to reappear sooner or later as he was so quick in qually. Lo and behold he appears in Prib back in 2ndand closing fast by over a second a lap. I know I will have to let him past and hope he falls off later.

Driving the long straight and approaching Marshall’s I expect Ross is going to out brake me and take it sooner rather than later so braked a tad earlier staying on the left hand side to give him room

Bang!!! One up the rear end and we are both off. Yep you’re right Ross, I did Tut Tut cursing a lot to myself at the time. 

Don’t know how late you braked Ross, but running as quick as you were, next time recommend you either take the other side of track on the entry to the turn or wait a few more bends. This is the learning Div, so s*** happens and you only learn by your mistakes. So no hard feelings (honest)

Rejoined but had lost the rhythm and kept going off on my own or sympathy spins.

Great Choice of circuit Happy to come here again

See you all at Mosport

"You win some, lose some, and wreck some."
il_lupo_mannaro

Ciao, Sic! #58

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2010, 09:29:41 PM +0100 »

I just downloaded the track less than two hours before the start of the race.
I really wondered that, with a slightly modified default setup, I was 5th on the starting grid... Shocked Shocked Shocked
Unfortunately, the race was not so good:
I began hitting Nigel's Honda on the back when he braked earlier than expected at the hairpin (sorry Embarrassed);
when I found myself on 3rd place after few laps under Ross' pressure I finally made a mistake;
then, trying to fill the gap from Ross, I made several mistake and, finally, I ended the race on 7th place.

IMHO, Westwood it's really a nice track for such 65s cars.
Grats to everybody raced, especially to the winner: WD Tim!!

See you all in Mosport!

Fabio Locarno
---------------------------------------------
GPLRank +20.138
Monster of GPLRank +548.907
ChallengeRank +187.387
GPL65Rank +59.222
SadSadSadSadSad
-----------------------
NHance

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2010, 02:02:18 PM +0100 »

Oops there were 2 collisions on the last hairpin. Anyway I'm pleading diminished responsibility on the grounds of post traumatic engine blow up disorder Wink. Opinion on the track seems to vary. Well my set up was different from usual so perhaps that's the key. I don't like short tracks or too much messing about in 1st gear,  twice here, & coming up at Wigram also.

I would have preferred Schottenring, (which I suggested pre season) where I see my team mate described me as the "Absolute Master".  This is due to the fact that I learned it to a good standard & "talked him round it" one day months ago resulting in a Honda powered PB. However before you AM's start quaking in your driving socks I must point out the PB would have got me 7th on the Am's grid just where Clutch was after a single race day reccy.

Norm H
maddog

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2010, 12:41:58 AM +0100 »

"Hey maddog, we missed you at Westwood - where were you? It was an eventful race!"

Hi Ross!

I suffered an accursed dis-nettification, this past week, so missed out on all the fun, wheel banging, and general mayhem at the hairpin, from the sound of things.   If ever I'm in the neighbourhood of the real track, I'll know which corner to watch from!  Further grumbling here ; https://www.simracing.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=7919.0

Looks like a small field of competitors - maybe the narrowness of the track?  I've been impressed all season with the use of mirrors, and have yet to be involved in a lapping incident. The consequences wouldn't be as dire as an empty track, next season.  So, I think one or two 'fo-pas,'would be alright, but not every lap.

The best way to find a good racing line, and consistent laptimes for me, has been with lots of laps.  I only ever do that when there are other drivers to watch, race with, and read about.  So I hope one or 2 who stayed away, read this.  I've never heard of a Gpl driver getting slower with more practice.

I'll hope to gaggle amongst the masses at the next round, and perhaps attempt to create an immunity to gremlinitis.
                     hammer
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 12:45:02 AM +0100 by maddog » Logged
D-Rock

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2010, 01:13:19 AM +0100 »

Very sorry to whoever I hit on the last lap incident, NHance I think it was. I braked a little to late and tried to swerve to the grass but I wasn't quick enough and clipped you, sending myself into a barrel roll.

Two straight races now where I had a car capable of winning but couldn't keep it on the road, hopefully I'll have better luck at Mosport.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com