Quarterly cost: �0

March 29, 2024, 01:47:36 AM +0000 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
S4455GPP
S4455GPW
S4466CA
S4467F1P
S4467F1W
S4467F2A
S4467F2P
S44JSMT
Recent
S4455GPW Indianapolis …
S4455GPP Indianapolis …
S4466CA Road America (…
S4467F1W Imola (1953-7…
S4467F1P Imola (1953-7…
S4467F2A Ingliston
S4467F2P Ingliston
Forthcoming
S44JSMT Goodwood (Circ…
S44JSMT Boreham Airfie…

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Linked Events
  • S19N Mosport: June 15, 2010
June 15, 2010, 09:39:39 PM +0100 - Mosport - UKGPL Season 19 (2010) Novices Trophy (65)
Driver
 Team
Nat. Make Model Class Qualifying Race
Tyres Pos Time/Gap Pos Time/Gap Laps Stops Best Retirement
reason
Ballast
vosblod
 Clark-Hill Racing
Lotus 33 (Climax 1965) F1 1965 2 +0.153
---
1 49:59.072
---
34 1:26.930
---
Dunlop  
maestro57
 Black Night Racing
Brabham BT11 (Climax) F1 1965 5 +0.459
---
2 +28.306
---
34 1:27.464
---
Goodyear  
maddog

Cooper T77 (Climax) F1 1965 3 +0.304
---
3 +50.193
---
34 1:27.127
---
Dunlop  
roguk
 Clark-Hill Racing
Cooper T77 (Climax) F1 1965 7 +1.578
---
4 +52.405
---
34 1:28.212
---
Dunlop  
norbert
 Antipasti Racing
Ferrari 512 F1 1965 8 +1.627
---
5 +1:17.436
---
34 1:28.093
---
Dunlop  
Billy Nobrakes
 Black Night Racing
Brabham BT11 (Climax) F1 1965 6 +1.363
---
6 (+3) +1L
---
33 1:28.433
---
Goodyear  
NHance
 Mountside Racing
Brabham BT11 (Climax) F1 1965 1 1:26.277
---
7 +0.337
---
33 1:27.484
---
Goodyear  
happyal
 Clark-Hill Racing
BRM P261 (1965) F1 1965 9 +1.935
---
8 +41.679
---
33 1:28.930
---
Dunlop  
James Andrew

BRM P261 (1965) F1 1965 11 +3.975
---
9 +3L
---
31 1:30.322
---
Dunlop  
Ross Neilson

Lotus 33 (Climax 1965) F1 1965 4 +0.313
---
10 +8L
---
26 1:27.238
---
Dunlop  
Nigel Smith

Honda RA272 F1 1965 10 +2.232
---
11 +28L
---
6 1:29.816
---
Goodyear  
5 UKGPL

Lotus 33 (Climax 1965) F1 1965 12 DNS ---
---
Dunlop  

Moderator's Report

Mosport always throws up plenty of incidents and spins, and places can often be picked up here just by keeping it on the road.

Drivers love to spin at Mosport, particularly at Moss where incidents can easily occur. Drivers losing control and spinning can often be well advised to allow their spin to finish and come to rest before trying to rescue their spin and perhaps affect other people's races.

Tim steered clear of trouble to make it his 3rd victory of the season at a track he knows well but he is still not leading the Championship as the other top Novices are having consistent results.

This season looks like being a nail biter, but who will tame the debuting Wigram and take a lead into the last 3 races?

Server replay time: 0h36m50s

Billy recovers from a spin and rejoins the track.
He takes straight to the racing line in front of NHance who has no chance to avoid him.
NHance had seen the yellow flags and could see Billy rejoining but could not expect him to drive straight back across the track.

By the letter of the law Bill made an appallingly bad rejoin even though NHance asked for some leniency. NHance was clearly visible as the single car behind even without having to use the side view or F10.

• Billy Nobrakespenalty — Appallingly bad rejoin — 3 places lost

Server replay time: 0h45m12s

MHunt passes RogUK before they pass the green flag.

Both drivers have just passed a yellow flag being waved which means that there must be no overtaking until they either pass a green flag or pass the incident and the green flags have been taken in as per the rules at the bottom of this page

https://www.ukgpl.com/index.php/rules/sporting

As they can both see a green flag being waved ahead of them, they must wait until they pass it before there is any overtaking allowed.

Server replay time: 0h48m15s

MHunt tries to pass RogUK on the inside.
RogUK turns in on Martin slightly but realises he is there and turns out, losing control.
MHunt also loses control but keeps going.

The Server shows no contact or suggestion of warp.

Martin had no overlap at turn in and has not won the corner so he must keep to his own side of the track rather than stray to the middle.

Although the server shows no contact, cars in GPL all have "collision boxes" which are bigger than the cars themselves. Perhaps Martin would have been better advised to wait for a more clear cut overtaking opportunity rather than try to outbrake RogUK while turning right over the crest where the car will tend to lose some traction.

Any overtake at Mosport must be well planned in advance, particularly between cars of similar performance.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: UKGPL Season 19 (2010) Novices Trophy (65) - Mosport - Jun 15  (Read 7378 times)
miner2049er
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile WWW
« on: June 13, 2010, 11:39:52 AM +0100 »

Season 19 Novices Trophy - Round 6 Mosport

The Novices return to venue sharing with the Amateurs at Mosport, Canada, a track designed and built in the late 1950s which held its first major race in 1961, the Player's 200, a sports car race bringing drivers from the world over to rural Ontario. Stirling Moss won the event in a Lotus 19. The proposed hairpin was expanded into two discrete corners, to be of greater challenge to the drivers and more interesting for the spectators, at his suggestion, and is named Moss Corner in his honour. This is a source of lingering confusion as many people call the track Mossport. It has had a succession of owners since the original public company created to build the track. Mosport achieved acclaim though a series of international sports car races under the title "Canadian Grand Prix" normally reserved for Formula 1 races. F1's Grand Prix of Canada remained at the track until 1977.
Unlike many historic motorsport venues, Mosport's track layout has remained mostly unchanged from its original form.

Reserve drivers should not join the server until there are only 30 mins of qualifying left.  However, all drivers should not go on track until there is 30 minutes of qualifying left.  This helps all drivers join the server successfully.  Please restrict chat to pit messages only, including at the end of the race until ALL drivers still racing have crossed the line.

Don't forget to use the updated 65 mod for this race.

Please be in the IGOR UKGPL chatroom by 8:55 p.m.
(You will need to set up a channel called #ukgpl if you haven't already done so)
IGOR and Race passwords: see above

Server = 5.UKGPL
IP Address = ping myjamesonline.net
Race Date = 15-06-2010
Time = 21:00
Track = Mosport
Variant = 65F1
Damage Model = Intermediate
Qually Time = 30 minutes.
Race Length = Long (34 Laps)
Password: see above

Driver lists can be found on the championship standings page

We have split the cars into groups based on average performance and split the drivers into groups based on average ability. The chassis numbers for Novices are as follows:

NOVICE CHASSIS GROUPS
1 - Lotus, Ferrari, BRM, Honda
2 - BT11
3 - Cooper
4 - BT7

Each driver has been given a seeding number and must pick a chassis with either an equal number or higher number but not a lower number. For example, if a driver is given a seeding of 2, he must pick one of the cars in group 2 (BT11) but if he would prefer to drive either the Cooper or BT7 he may do so. This means that a driver given a seeding of 1 can pick any chassis he prefers.

**NOTE**
Whichever chassis a driver begins his first race with is the chassis he must use for the remainder of the season unless a change has been agreed with the moderator.

The following drivers have made their chassis choice:

FULL TIME
Driver
Chassis
D-Rock
Lotus 33
NHance
Brabham BT11
roguk
Cooper T77
maddog
Cooper T77
maestro
Brabham BT11
il_lupo
Ferrari 512
happyal
BRM P261
Billy
Brabham BT11
gilles27
Lotus 33
G Poole
Brabham BT11
BookieW
BRM P261
Sharkfin
BRM P261
norbert
Ferrari 512
Vosblod
Lotus 33
Burtoner
Brabham BT11

RESERVES
Driver
Chassis
Nigel Smith
Honda RA272
karlisss
Honda RA272

The following drivers are still to make their chassis choice:

RESERVES
DriverSeeding
miner2049er

Please use the updated 65 mod for this race which is available here:
Jamesonline.net/UKGPL

maddog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 02:29:47 PM +0100 »

Wink                        Grin                       Sad                         :'(                       Undecided                       Kiss

An Ode to Mosport - by Martin Hunt

Mosportizing, Mosportizing, quick to feel the passion's rising,
                         Enterprising, compromising, improvising, idolizing?
                         Theorizing, thought revising, animated mind bendizing!
                         Pratt provising, damned fool-dizing, energized bamboozle-izing.
                         Hero-izing, demonizing, agonized extrapolizing,
                         Lapse derising, lapse despising, enigmatic pragmatizing.
                         Glorifyzing, Champaignizing, emphasizing dream-onizing.                  
                         Mosportizing, realizing . . . I like this track!

Cheesy                       Huh                       Tongue                           Angry                       angel                    Wink    
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 02:39:06 PM +0100 by maddog » Logged
D-Rock

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 05:32:45 PM +0100 »

Will be skipping this one, too much real life stuff to do. Hope to see you all at Wigram, or Rouen, depending on the internet situation.
vosblod
Former UKGPL Moderators

can divide by zero

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 12:09:00 AM +0100 »

What can I say except my best race to date  w00t  Roll Eyes  sweatdrop

Norm's storming qually denied me that elusive pole, even at my PB I would have been .03s slower, but got a blinding start and found myself in front (why can I do that in 65's but not 67's?). After that it was try to keep to 27's and if Norm closes push it. Guess he had issues as I pulled away and broke the tow. So I kept going aiming at 27's and built a cushion in case I did any silly spins. In the event that didn't  happen and got my first race 'fastest lap', those I lapped were exemplary. So down to the last 5 laps and all I could think of was Norm's engine blow out, tried to take it easy but too much relaxation could take you off the game.
Anyway made it and, not usually my thing, felt a victory lap was in order (probably because I have no spare wheel buttons to raise a victory hand  Wink).

Anyway Mosport was the first ever race (read disaster) I did at UKGPL back in September '08 https://www.simracing.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=5213.msg87791#msg87791. Follow my race history and I was the Milkfloat for a long long time.

So here's some inspiration to anyone struggling and thinking "I'll never win"...
Best Lap 9/08: 1.47.405 - Best Lap 6/10: 1.26.930, I almost left after that first outing...
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 03:39:19 PM +0100 by vosblod » Logged
bernie

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 12:38:02 AM +0100 »

Grats Vosb , hope you enjoyed the champers   Smiley
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 08:41:12 AM +0100 »

Grats Vos......I have been on the same journey Wink

My first online race was also at Mosport in the 67's.
 I think I was lapped within the first 3-4 laps.. I lost count of how many times I spun.....I took out a couple of unimpressed regulars...............and almost gave up the whole idea of online racing as it was sooo different from racing AI that I was used to.

Some might say "it's a pity he didn't give up back then", but slowly I eased my laptimes towards the "competitive" end of the spectrum. So if I can do it with my meagre ability, I'm damned sure all of you can do better. Cool Cool

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @ Evilclive67**
Rank   Only when I sweat
Ross Neilson
UKGPL Divisional Moderator
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 08:47:30 AM +0100 »

I had internet connection problems earlier in the evening and was surprised I managed to get as far as 7 laps from the finish before the inevitable disco.

Qually saw a great scrap for pole, until Norm put in an absolute stormer to take it by 3 tenths - very well done sir. Vos and Martin pipped me so I ended up fourth. That became third after a good start, during which Vos also took the lead.

I then spent around 12 laps following Norm closely, my objective was to pressure him into a mistake rather than try an overtake, as I find passing difficult here. Norm, I hope you felt I was driving safely as I've really tried to improve my racecraft since my antics at Westwood. Anyway, both times I got past, I then made a mistake. The second time was spin which cost me 2 or 3 places, and after that all my good work went out of the window.

The rest of the race was spent playing catchup, I made a couple of other errors and blew the engine, then came in for a stop and go. Eventually got up to 5th, more through others' mistakes I think, until British Telecom decided to call time on my efforts.

I'm not too disappointed though, as I feel I continue to improve. Vos' consistency is something I can only aspire to right now. Congrats on an exemplary drive Vlad, well done also to Pete and Martin on making the podium, you guys were bang on the pace too.

Two weeks is too long to the next race, see you then.

Cheers,

Ross
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 08:49:06 AM +0100 by gilles27 » Logged

Racing as Ross Neilson 65/66/69 for Clark-Hill Racing
NHance

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2010, 11:16:42 AM +0100 »

This track is a Mountside Racing favourite so I was hoping to do well & if I could choose to get pole at any track it would be here.
Passed off the line but I'm begining to expect it now as I always gear for the best laps in the whole race not to start & I favour a highish 1st gear. Ross's driving was exemplory, & in fact I went deliberately wide to give room on corners a couple of times as I thought he was through only to find I had kept my place. Can't rely on him leading & crashing anymore then Wink. Sorry you disco'd Ross but did notice you disappeared completely from my mirrors once so it was likely to happen.
Lap 16 the engine went. Since Westwood I change up 2/300 rpm lower than before & less than peak power, but still it went. S&G dropped me to 8th. On lap 24 there was an incident with Billy for which he appologised afterwards, no worries. Then on lap 29 this second engine went also so after another S&G I eventually finished 7th.
The good thing was that I got my first pole position however I failed to break Billy's unenviable record of blowing up 3 engines in one race. That's one he can keep  Grin
Well done Vos & those who finished ahead of me. Its the position at the end of the race that counts. Vos just drove away from everyone.
Norm H

Ross Neilson
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2010, 12:15:01 PM +0100 »

Thanks Norm, yes there were a couple of times I considered passing but my priority was not hitting anyone. Sorry I spun in front of you as, having looked at the replay, Pete got past you at the time.

Regarding my disco, you disappeared in front of me a few times in the complex at the end of the back straight, is that the same point you lost contact with me? If so I guess it was my connection playing up but not enough for a full disco.

I know you are disappointed with your result but it was a cracking pole position, you should be chuffed with that. Hopefully you and I can both register a first win before the season ends, if Vos lets us ;-)

Ross

Racing as Ross Neilson 65/66/69 for Clark-Hill Racing
Billy Nobrakes
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2010, 01:44:45 PM +0100 »

Big improvement from my dismal performance at Westwood. Qualifying was a reasonable mid-grid position & first few laps I was running in 4th or so for a bit.
Consistency seems my biggest handicap and I developed a particular liking for the grassy bank at the end of the long straight – so much so I paid it three visits.
Big apology to Norm for my bad rejoin from the said picnic area. The grassy bank does give a good view of the track & I’m sure there was a big stretch of empty road to rejoin. I was hugely surprised when Norm appeared. Probably my lack of vigilance & I’ll have a look art the reply in due course. Took a SnG partly as self penance I think.
When I slid off the track at the same point next lap (on cold tyres) I was on the point of jacking it in but decided to complete race distance to add a few points to Pete’s 2nd place.
Well done to Vos on another win & the other podium finishers.

PS. Ross – don’t have to wait 2 weeks – next Spec race is at Imola in the 65s – it’s a great track.

Leading from the back at Black Night Racing
NHance

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2010, 04:03:40 PM +0100 »

Sorry everyone if I gave the impression I was disapointed with the result. I was at Westwood, but not here. Soon as I had done the pole lap I thought they're going to have to go a bit to beat that. Because I like Mosport so much it was special. The final result is what it is.

I've learned "things happen" accept it, this is a novice class, drive on.

Don't forget there were a few non starters. So whatever your aspirations in the championship we've only had 6 races. Last season I battled like hell to get 8th 'cos that is what it's about to me & I didn't care what the front runners were doing.

Norm H   
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2010, 06:53:29 PM +0100 »

A small tip for NHance and anyone else who finds they are blowing more engines than they think they should be Wink. It is something that it took me a while to learn, but now I very rarely blow engines even in the 67 Waza which is notoriously sensitive to over revving.

If you are not speed shifting up through the box ( i.e. you lift fractionally at each change and allow the revs to drop back from the red line) then 9 times out of 10 it is not the upshifts that over rev the engines, but the down shifts.

Religously changing up the box, 2-300 revs below the red line will do nothing for your survival if at every down shift, the white whizzy thing in the middle of the dashboard, bangs against the stop!!!

Try downshifting a little later, which incidentally you might find makes the car more stable under braking and staying a gear higher on some corners will enable you to smoothly carry more speed through the apex. Sudden downshifts under braking can break the traction ( what little there is!!) on the rear wheels and cause the rear to step out .
Yeah!! ok!! I know I talk from a position which is more sideways than a sideways thing going sideways, but just try it!! and if you find that you cannot actually go through the corner one gear higher, then make the final downshift at the very last moment when all the braking is done and the revs will not destroy the engine.

Just thought some experience of picking up conrods for many years should be saved. Incidentally maybe the Statmeister could do a league table based on engine scrappage rates??Cheesy

Rank   Only when I sweat
Hristo Itchov

There is no limit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2010, 07:18:34 PM +0100 »

Good tip, Evil, but I'm afraid I'm not following it often myself. I tend to use the gearbox a lot to make the car stop better and it's taking its toll on the engine I suppose. Got to become more conscious about it and avoid blowing up altogether!

NHance

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2010, 08:33:37 PM +0100 »

Thanks for the tip Clive. I do use the gears to slow down with a blip of the throttle also if there's time as it stabalises the car particularly if there is a change of direction involved as in last esses at Mosport.

I'll try to change my ways for the next race.    Thanks again

Norm H.
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2010, 08:51:19 PM +0100 »

lol @ Hristo...

On the rare occasions when I get into Hristo territory, I am using every little advantage that I can find!! if that means that the engine has to do some ( a lot!!) of braking, then it does a lot of braking. So far I have just about kept all the metal bits inside the crankcase, but there have been times when I have winced and waited for the whole thing to explode when I get a downshift very, very wrong. Roll Eyes.

I guess that is inevitable if you are pushing at either the limit of your ability or the limits of the car...or both??

Rank   Only when I sweat
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com