The Spirit of British SimRacing   

Read this first!    

nonchalant-unilinear
April 29, 2024, 09:10:40 AM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Next series of circuits  (Read 2861 times)
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« on: June 27, 2010, 10:46:55 AM +0100 »

I thought that we might try to use more of the Add-on circuits this time, but I have mostly chosen the shorter/simpler circuits so that those who worry about "learning " new tracks have a chance to develop their skills. At least 4 of these I have not tried yet so it should be fun, which is after all what BREASTS is all about?

21st  July            Debden Airfield                      http://gpltd.bcsims.com/?dis=D&menu=Show_Letters
   28th July             Efexx                                   http://gplmz.bcsims.net/tracks/efexx1.2.zip
   4th August          Silverstone                           Papyrus       
   11th August         Falkenberg                           http://srmz.net/index.php?showtopic=4339
   18th August         Funabashi ( realistic scale)      http://page.freett.com/polarblue21/index.html
   25th August         Monza                                 Papyrus
   1st September      Georgia 1999             http://srmz.net/index.php?showtopic=1082 ( because we have not done an oval yet devil)

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @    evilclive67
Rank   Only when I sweat
b_1_rd
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 06:10:01 PM +0100 »

Well, its a good mix up! I don't think I've done any of the non papy tracks so will be interesting to learn.

I suggest the TC mod for the oval in place of the 69's.

Steve

Remember, you’re an individual, just like everyone else.
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 09:37:15 PM +0100 »

I dont have a prob with that Steve. But we had better put it to a popular vote, just to be sure everyone has the mod installed in time?

"And now for something completely different".....maybe there is scope here for a short series of oval circuits all with the Thundercars??? Wink

Rank   Only when I sweat
vosblod
Former UKGPL Moderators

can divide by zero

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 10:29:43 PM +0100 »

I'm only an occasional attendee but, tbh, I tend to be able to make it when I can just hit a familiar track - too much practice for UKGPL tracks takes up my time.
Looks like a good set of circuits but, for my part, will probably only do Silvy and Monza and maybe Georgia 1999.

As regards Thundercars fine by me, maybe worth a post on SRMZ for those?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 10:33:18 PM +0100 by vosblod » Logged
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2010, 08:24:23 AM +0100 »

I am fully aware that most people will find these circuits "new". But I have chosen what might be termed "simple" circuits ( i.e. there ain't too many corners!  Georgia has 2!!  Grin ) so that they should not involve hours of learning.

The intention was to offer a series of races where drivers could practice their learning skills, without fear of losing major points in any championship because they did not have the time to memorise 27 corners etc.

If I find the time before each race I might try and suggest a setup from a more familiar circuit that drivers could copy across  from their existing setups folders. With the 65's I find that generally, if you have a setup that is comfortable on a similar circuit it will work almost straight out of the box on a new one, perhaps with tweaking of top gear ratio.
If I get really clever, I might even try and write up some driving notes about braking points /gears/lines etc but it will be from my perspective and setups...but it might help Roll Eyes

Rank   Only when I sweat
Hristo Itchov

There is no limit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2010, 08:38:33 AM +0100 »

I am fully aware that most people will find these circuits "new". But I have chosen what might be termed "simple" circuits ( i.e. there ain't too many corners!  Georgia has 2!!  Grin ) so that they should not involve hours of learning.

The intention was to offer a series of races where drivers could practice their learning skills, without fear of losing major points in any championship because they did not have the time to memorise 27 corners etc.

If I find the time before each race I might try and suggest a setup from a more familiar circuit that drivers could copy across  from their existing setups folders. With the 65's I find that generally, if you have a setup that is comfortable on a similar circuit it will work almost straight out of the box on a new one, perhaps with tweaking of top gear ratio.
If I get really clever, I might even try and write up some driving notes about braking points /gears/lines etc but it will be from my perspective and setups...but it might help Roll Eyes

Pantsring has 1 corner. Tongue

Very true about setups. Here are my usual tips on how to find a suitable setup from another circuit. Start by pointing out the following (predominant, so whichever is of higher occurrence) factors of the new track:

1) Fast or slow corners
2) Flat or banked corners
3) Even level or altitude changes, especially at corners
4) Smoother surface or bumpier surface

Once you identify all that, just look for a track with the same traits. Corners matter the most, so work it off that and then just adjust the gear ratios, starting from the final gear and the top gears (5th-6th), then work down towards the lower gears for different corners.

If it happens that you don't have a setup which you can copy and you have to modify a setup from a different track, here are a few tips in relation to the above factors (apart from adjusting gears):

1) Generally stiffer suspension for predominantly fast corners, softer for slower corners (spring settings rather than ARB in both cases)
2) Stiffer rear/softer front for flat corner tracks (because of lower G forces in corners), softer rear/stiffer front for banked corner tracks
3) Stiffer rebound (and perhaps bump) settings for evenly leveled tracks, softer rebound (especially at the rear) for elevated tracks.
4) Softer bump settings for smother surfaces, stiffer for bumpy (to absorb the compression quicker and avoid pogo effect).

Of course, use ride height adjustments if you bottom out in some place and I suggest to begin with raising the front end first and not the rear. It's usually the front that unsettles the car before the rear follows and scrapes the ground, which eventually gives a false feedback.

That's all!

vosblod
Former UKGPL Moderators

can divide by zero

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2010, 09:37:22 AM +0100 »

I am fully aware that most people will find these circuits "new". But I have chosen what might be termed "simple" circuits ( i.e. there ain't too many corners!
Sounds like my sort of tracks  Grin Will have a look at some of the others then
Clive Loynes

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2010, 10:02:08 AM +0100 »

Crivens!

It's a brave new world in BREASTS these days.

Good luck with the schedule.

BTW, Gladys has bit the dust.  The smoke from her hard drive was not a good sign and she never emerged from intensive care.  sniff!

Thinking of having her cremated.

SBRC  UKPnG Season 6, 7 & 8 Champions (Missed Season 9 by a gnat's nadger!)
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2010, 12:52:27 PM +0100 »

We always thought Gladys was hot stuff but.............................We'll send flowers :'(.......maybe Wink

Rank   Only when I sweat
NickyIckx

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2010, 07:32:06 AM +0100 »

Smiley
Thx Clive for working on it .
Just downloaded all the new tracks . I am sure they will be fun .

Could imagine 69s are fine for slipstreaming battle at a oval .
 personally I don’t like TC coz off to short gearbox mainly …

nice little setup guide by Hristo .  Smiley

( only missing the hotspots off diff settings and toe in/out and maybe the general difference between 69 and 65 setups . To me it looks like 65 do have strong ARB compared to spring , and 69 its exactly the other way around .. )
 Grin but I am definately not an GPL setup expert , lol
Hristo Itchov

There is no limit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2010, 11:23:55 AM +0100 »

Smiley
Thx Clive for working on it .
Just downloaded all the new tracks . I am sure they will be fun .

Could imagine 69s are fine for slipstreaming battle at a oval .
 personally I don’t like TC coz off to short gearbox mainly …

nice little setup guide by Hristo .  Smiley

( only missing the hotspots off diff settings and toe in/out and maybe the general difference between 69 and 65 setups . To me it looks like 65 do have strong ARB compared to spring , and 69 its exactly the other way around .. )
 Grin but I am definately not an GPL setup expert , lol

I'm by no means a setup expert either, Nicky. Despite all these years it still ends up some form of black magic from car to car, track to track and even day to day (subjective factors).

As for diffs and toe, I left them out because they're really a personal preference and depend more on style. The diff in particular can be anything, more or less, so whatever you feel comfortable. It's down to how you control your throttle and brake, and how much you use the steering wheel.

The toes, while having some effect on the car's balance, are also down to what your style is. But in general, I add more positive rear toe if I want to cure rearend oversteer under acceleration and less rear toe if I'm getting understeer on corner exits.

Front toe is mostly influential on turn-in and exit. More negative toe seems to make the car be more responsive on turn-in, but then it understeers in mid-corner. With 65s I tend to use very little negative front toe and even zero or positive sometimes. With 67s and 69s it's always negative, sometimes quite a lot.

I don't really know much about 69s, I tend to setup them like 67s, just a bit stiffer. Not sure if that's right or wrong, need more races and experience to try different things.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com