The Spirit of British SimRacing   

Read this first!    

April 29, 2024, 10:50:10 AM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 30 June - Croft (short track)  (Read 2582 times)
b_1_rd
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« on: June 27, 2010, 06:11:46 PM +0100 »

Next race is at Croft

9:00pm UK local time
Wednesday 30 June 2010
Igor Chatroom...."BREASTS"    pword "TITS"

Shift-R  allowed.......No points just for fun
All abilities welcome.

65 Mod followed by 69 Mod races.

Steve

Remember, you’re an individual, just like everyone else.
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 07:47:58 PM +0100 »

As promised some very early observations about this SIMPLE little circuit, for those who are wary of learning new tracks.

N.B THIS IS NOT MEANT TO BE THE DEFINITIVE FASTEST LAP METHOD FOR THIS CIRCUIT, JUST A BASIC "GET YOU AROUND" AT A REASONABLE SPEED.
PLEASE ADDRESS ALL COMPLAINTS TO Mrs Fujikawa ( if you have the nerve!! Grin)

This track was new to me so I chose an existing setup from a smooth flat (ish) circuit
I have driven about 6 laps so far (and only in the BT7) but was doing 53 sec laps without being too "alien". Roll Eyes

You may well find that your style/setup/car alters things slightly. But essentially this is a simple track with 2 chicanes. Your exit from the corners is far more important than a demon braking entry. In fact slow/controlled in and fast out will reward you.

I used a Watkins Glen setup unaltered. ( 6th gear in the BT7 was too high for this track, but the spacing of the other gears seemed about right, so maybe 6th wont be needed on such a short circuit?)

T1... braking just after 1st distance board and aiming for a late apex in 2nd with a short squirt of power towards the 1st chicane.

Taking 1st apex of chicane late and keeping to left ...drop to 1st gear, allowing me to turn tightly and take a reasonably late apex of second element of chicane. The second half opens up, so I want a late apex to allow me to give it full welly as I exit this chicane before braking for..

2nd chicane. The exit of this chicane is far more important than any late braking for the first part. (This is because there is a good straight afterwards and any speed I can carry/generate through the 2nd part I will carry all the way along that straight). So, make sure you brake early and take a little bit of Kerb on the way in, probably 2nd gear. Look to get your exit via the second apex just using a bit of kerb with no oversteer so that you can be applying more and more power as the straight opens up.

The slight left hander on the straight is taken flat, keeping to the left in anticipation of the 90 degree right hander coming up.

Braking just after 1st distance board into 2nd gear and looking for a smooth apex drifting out to the left hand side again a short squirt and...

The Last corner is probably the most important on the circuit. Once again any speed carried through here will gain you time right down the S/F straight. Overdo it and you will be into those big red and white things!!
Hardly any brakes but keep 2nd gear looking for a late apex and smooth application of power, keeping the car nicely balanced and stable. There is a little extra space on the outside apron where the 1st and 2nd of the red/white blocks are actually stepped back and give you an extra cars width to exploit as you nail the gas down the S/F straight.

I'm sure that others will have comments to make, but as I said this is not the magic bullet, just a rough guide to get you started.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 08:22:48 AM +0100 by EvilClive » Logged

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @    evilclive67
Rank   Only when I sweat
Turkey Machine
UKGPL Assistant Divisional Moderator

Elitist psychopath with AS.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 12:11:50 PM +0100 »

Is there a recommended download link for this track?

edit: never mind, appears I missed the "race tracks and download links" thread buried at the bottom of the thread listing.  angel
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 12:14:30 PM +0100 by Turkey Machine » Logged

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10. Why the hell do I keep crashing then?!
Hristo Itchov

There is no limit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 05:31:16 PM +0100 »

Sorry to Nicky for rearending him in the 65s race, I thought I would manage to break on time for that corner. Was just catching up Evil and Lorenzo ahead when I started making lots of mistakes and eventually dropped too far back.

69s were very difficult to control for some reason or so was my Brabham anyway. I would just spin for no reason, but fortunately the others had problems too and so I managed to finish first. Wasn't much fun though.

EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2010, 10:15:25 AM +0100 »

A small turn out for what was a great circuit for the 65's but a little "restrictive" for the 69's Roll Eyes, but still enough of a challenge.

Great to see Lorenzo with us again ( although I would have preferred a view of him that was not all engine and exhaust pipes) Undecided Just need Hristo,  Kruger and Lorenzo to turn up on the same day and the battles of yesteryear can be started all over again.  Grin

It would be interesting to get some feedback from those who are trying these add-on circuits about how easy or hard they are to learn. Hopefully, with a limited number of corners and short lap length, they will allow you to settle in to a lap pattern relatively quickly?

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @    evilclive67
Rank   Only when I sweat
b_1_rd
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010, 10:30:49 AM +0100 »

The track was great, ideal for novices to learn quickly while still providing entertainment for the more experienced.

The only problem was I drove like a drunk baby giraffe!

Steve

Remember, you’re an individual, just like everyone else.
Hristo Itchov

There is no limit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2010, 03:25:54 PM +0100 »

Short, but I found it difficult to master. It punishes mistakes quite often. Fun track though, has a good rhythm.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com