by SimRacing.org.uk  

Read this first!    

April 23, 2024, 09:26:45 AM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Linked Events
  • i3r Brands Hatch: July 20, 2010
July 20, 2010, 03:42:59 PM +0100 - Brands Hatch (GP) - iRacing Season 3 Riley - @iRacing.com
Driver
 Team
Nat. Make Model Class Qualifying Race
Tyres Pos Time/Gap Pos Time/Gap Laps Led Best Retirement
reason
Incidents
Brendan
 Kerb Crawlers
Pontiac Riley MkXX (#36) Daytona Proto 1 1:20.499
102.903mph
1 1:00:34.180
100.292mph
44 44 1:21.319
101.866mph
Pirelli 2
Fred Basset
 Kerb Crawlers
Pontiac Riley MkXX (#36) Daytona Proto 2 +0.144
102.719mph
2 +0.332
100.283mph
44   1:21.351
101.825mph
Pirelli 6
Dave 'Gizmo' Gymer
 Team Shark
Pontiac Riley MkXX (#36) Daytona Proto 3 +0.277
102.550mph
3 +23.460
99.649mph
44   1:21.408
101.754mph
Pirelli 3
Mike Wrightson
 Team Shark
Pontiac Riley MkXX (#36) Daytona Proto 5 +0.841
101.839mph
4 +29.369
99.488mph
44   1:21.690
101.403mph
Pirelli 1
Ken Murray
 Soggy Bottom Racers Club
Pontiac Riley MkXX (#36) Daytona Proto 7 +0.999
101.642mph
5 +45.703
99.046mph
44   1:21.828
101.232mph
Pirelli 7
Darren Seal
 Legends Racing
Pontiac Riley MkXX (#36) Daytona Proto 4 +0.658
102.069mph
6 +46.015
99.038mph
44   1:21.733
101.350mph
Pirelli 12
Truetom
 Legends Racing
Pontiac Riley MkXX (#1) Daytona Proto 8 +1.173
101.425mph
7 +1L 43   1:22.185
100.792mph
Pirelli 18
popabawa
 Legends Racing
Pontiac Riley MkXX (#36) Daytona Proto 11 +1.821
100.627mph
8 43   1:22.646
100.230mph
Pirelli 10
spanner
 Prodigy Racing
Pontiac Riley MkXX (#36) Daytona Proto 14 +3.107
99.079mph
9 43   1:23.957
98.665mph
Pirelli 10
Adam Parle
 Legends Racing
Pontiac Riley MkXX (#36) Daytona Proto 12 +2.207
100.157mph
10 +19L 25   1:22.720
100.140mph
Disco
Pirelli 24
purdie
 Legends Racing
Pontiac Riley MkXX (#36) Daytona Proto 9 +1.290
101.280mph
11 +21L 23   1:22.159
100.824mph
Disco
Pirelli 15
Paul Thurston
 Epicurie Banana
Pontiac Riley MkXX (#36) Daytona Proto 10 +1.772
100.687mph
12 +24L 20   1:22.609
100.275mph
Pirelli 10
mr_oily
 Prodigy Racing
Pontiac Riley MkXX (#36) Daytona Proto 6 +0.976
101.670mph
13 20   1:21.340
101.839mph
Disco
Pirelli 11
picnic
 Team Shark
Pontiac Riley MkXX (#36) Daytona Proto 13 +2.634
99.643mph
14 +34L 10   1:22.997
99.806mph
Disco
Pirelli 4
Gazza49er
 Team Pseudo Racing
Pontiac Riley MkXX (#36) Daytona Proto 15 15 +44L 0   ---
---
Pirelli  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: iRacing Season 3 Riley - Brands Hatch (GP) - Jul 20  (Read 9707 times)
spanner
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Team Prodigy - UKGTR/UKAC

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2010, 12:10:32 PM +0100 »

Managed a 24.0 last night but will probably be the 25's.

I think i'm comfortable round brands in any car! Started off with the default medium setup and first softened it then stiffened it which seems to feel nicer and copes better with the high speed stuff. Have had to raise the ride hight a bit, the kurb at the bottom of paddock was bottoming it out.

Learn to love the Pork Smiley

Team Prodigy - Just like Team Oldie only younger, faster, less grey hair and kinder to the environment!
picnic
Director, Servers
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2010, 06:11:10 PM +0100 »

Race server started, sorry it's 10 mins late. I can't believe how hard iRacing make it for you to add funds to you account so you can purchase a hosted race  Undecided

purdie
Incident Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2010, 06:25:43 PM +0100 »

unfortunately i haven't tried this or any racing since the GTR2 test race on sunday..... gonna practise now and no way I can expect a good result...!  Roll Eyes

dammit  Tongue

spanner
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Team Prodigy - UKGTR/UKAC

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2010, 07:51:50 PM +0100 »

Well the phone doesnt work, the main wires are broken but its surprising what a crocodile clip will do! (no joke!) Not sure how its working but it is!

Learn to love the Pork Smiley

Team Prodigy - Just like Team Oldie only younger, faster, less grey hair and kinder to the environment!
picnic
Director, Servers
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2010, 09:21:42 PM +0100 »

Wish my ADSL had broken, what a waste of time. No talent, no speed, thoroughly depressing.

At least it's the Radical next season, oh...no.. wait a minute, I suck at that even more. See you all in 20 weeks time!

Adam Parle
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2010, 09:46:27 PM +0100 »

I wasn't ever really comfortable in the car, struggled for pace and watched Pops dissapear.  Had a couple of silly offs before the stop, and then a couple of laps after the stop I touched the grass on the outside of Stirlings before turning in .... and that led to me going straight on and hitting the wall.

Didn't feel to be any damage until I came to brake into Graham Hill Bend when the car swapped ends with no warning.  It happened under braking into Surtees, and I parked it up before becoming a hazard.
Ken Murray

Ducati 996 @ Cadwell Mountain

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2010, 10:09:25 PM +0100 »

When I race the Mazda I feel like I'm racing, when I race the DP I feel like I'm just trying to stay on the track.

It was fun battling with James and Mike early on, but I think I was only able to keep up because they were interfering with each other. We got a little spread eventually and James went missing. I was 9 secs down on Mike before the stop but coming out in to traffic pushed that to about 15. That stayed constant until a cut corner got me a black flag and suddenly I had Darren to fend off. No doubt with a track that actually had passing opportunities he'd have been through. As it was I just hung on by the skin of my teeth to secure 5th place. My only two results of note in either of the S3 Championships have come at Brands! I must do a track day there sometime.
Mike Wrightson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2010, 10:50:14 PM +0100 »

A nice looking result, but didn't enjoy that at all Sad

After a few laps, the car felt horrible.  I had no confidence in it and just wanted to get it to the end of the race.

Passed James into Druids on lap 1 then ended up holding him and Ken up for the next 20 laps.  Made my stop just before halfway for fuel and tyres and rejoined.  James was nowhere to be seen, I expected to see him come out ahead so he must have crashed somewhere.  Then passed Dave, who had gone off, held him up for 15 laps and finally had to give best into Paddock.  Brought it home 4th.

Lets hope I can get a better feeling in the Radical, the last couple of outings in the DP have felt awfull.

Grats to Brendan for the win Smiley

Team Shark!
Brendan

Team KC

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2010, 10:59:08 PM +0100 »

A very satisfying way to finish the season. Smiley

A PB in qual was good for an unexpected pole.

Got a clean start but after the first few laps, I knew I was in for a tough race.  Gary was obviously quicker and I was resigned to losing the lead during the pitstops at least.  Luckily for me, Gary and I were on a similar strategy and I could go 1 lap longer and cover off his stop.  The last stint was very difficult, though.  I was fortunate that I wasn't held up at all and that my car was wide enough to hold Gary off as long as I kept it on the island, which barring a few last lap jitters, I just about managed.

All in all, I'm pleased with the win but know that without everything falling into place for me, it would've been a different story.

Grats to Gary and Dave for the podiums, everyone who finished and to Dave for the championship.

Also, thanks to Pops and everyone else involved in running UKIR.

Brendan
Truetom

Ljubljana, Slovenia

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2010, 07:16:10 AM +0100 »

8th in Q but botched it twice in first two laps in the same spot (Dingle) and lost my position - I think I was almost at the rear. Then tried to go steady and it was ok for some time. Made more mistakes later and I think I made most of the progress 'cause other drivers made even more mistakes than me. Roll Eyes

I can say I really felt the car in a few periods of the race but at times it was like a different car on different track. Strange feeling, it doesn't strike me right. Lips Sealed I can never get into the rhytm, not really. Maybe with Mazda, but not with this car. But I'm happy, 'cause i-Veterans like Pops and Adam were behind me. Tongue
Fred Basset
Incident Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2010, 08:07:49 AM +0100 »

I can say I really felt the car in a few periods of the race but at times it was like a different car on different track. Strange feeling, it doesn't strike me right. Lips Sealed I can never get into the rhytm, not really. Maybe with Mazda, but not with this car. But I'm happy, 'cause i-Veterans like Pops and Adam were behind me. Tongue

That surprises me, I driver a 400bhp mid engined car on road and track, the DP to me is the most natural feeling of all the iRacing cars. How do you set it up?

Gary
Dave 'Gizmo' Gymer
Director General
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Currum auriga quasi furtivum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2010, 08:20:18 AM +0100 »

Not a classic performance from me, partly because I hadn't done my customary testing over the preceeding days, and partly because of a stupid lapse in concentration just after my stop. But it did result in a very memorable and ultimately enjoyable race. Grin

Struggled a bit in practice before finding some small tweaks to my Infineon setup to get me up towards the sharp end. Managed a proper banzai job in qualifying to get third on the grid, but once into the race I was able to pull away from Darren and Mike and stay with Brendan and BertieFred for ten laps or so.

As the stint wore on, so did my tyres - too much understeer in a couple of corners was killing the front left, and the fuel burning off had lifted the back too far which was making it snappish under braking for Sitrlings, so I pitted four laps ahead of schedule and took tyres and a click more fuel than I really needed to try and keep it lower.

With other stops and an off or two I was very soon back to third, the leaders staying out a bit longer but too far ahead for there to be any danger of catching them. I was more than a little surprised to see Gary leaving the pits just a few seconds ahead - in fact I was even more surprised to learn that he didn't take tyres. That must have been one terrible in lap! I think you did take tyres really and just don't realise it... Wink

Anyway, it was just after that that I made what could easily have been a race-ending mistake coming off Sheene Curve, running ever so slightly wide and dipping the left tyres onto the grass. With me hard on the gas the car spun instantly to the left; I tried to drive it out as it passed back over the track in Stirlings but it was going to quickly and carried on sliding into and through the gravel. In a stroke of incredible luck it came to rest just inches from going head-first into the tyres, and I backed it out and rejoined as Mike came racing past, demoting me to fourth.

I really, really wanted to end the season with a podium after the disappointment of struggling to fourth place at Infineon, so I set about worretting Mike as best I could, knowing that even with a big raw pace advantage, getting past was really about extracting a big mistake. I tried every trick in the book, but even being able to drive almost any line into or out of the corners without losing time over him, he wasn't falling for any of my bluffs and there was no way I could get into a position where I could legitimately throw it down the inside. ninja

Not until we came up to lap Pops. I knew I wasn't going to get a better chance, so I let him almost box himself in behind the Leg End on the front 'straight', putting myself right on his tail and then gambling on him still being a tiny bit distracted to go sailing up the inside into Paddock Hill Bend. We were side by side all the way up to Druids where I sealed the deal with a bit of Tokyo Drift round the top; I'd like to claim I was making the car wide but in truth I broke too late and was just holding the slide until I had enough track to straighten it out again! angel

After that I pulled away quite handily with the car working much better than it had late in the first stint. Smiley

Really very pleased to get a podium despite that off, and well done to Mike for snagging second in the drivers' championship; I really should've checked on the points situation with you before the race! Embarrassed laugh

To finish first, first you must have fins.
Fred Basset
Incident Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2010, 08:30:23 AM +0100 »

Work was ok yesterday and I managed to get back in good time with no delays on the trains either Grin

Did not really know what to expect here as I've done very little practice and did not even know how much fuel to use or whether to change tyres as I'd not done a half race stint in practice. My setup was better for race than qually and when I did a 20.6 on my first flyer I thought it would be good enough and I switched to running with fuel again for more practice.

Brendan got a great time for pole and I was content with second. After a couple of laps I started to apply some pressure but it was very difficult to judge when to brake and after running wide a couple of times and seeing Dave start to close back up on us I decided it was better to run a second or so back so we could open out a gap and attack later in the race.

When it came to pitstop time I decided to play it safe and pit even though it told me I'd got another lap, my inlap and outlap was terrible though and I dropped nearly nine seconds back to Brendan. I'd decided that you could do a full race distance on one set of tyres so did not change and checking the tyre info screen I could see I had only used about 15% of the tyres (on average at the first stop). Actually Dave it was a terrible couple of inlaps and a really bad outlap. I definitely did not take tyres. I was wrong about my tyres in chat after the race, I was down to around 70% on average after they did a full race distance.

I then set about catching Brendan and pulled the gap in fairly quickly but he was driving good defensive lines and Brands is too narrow to have much chance of passing. The last couple of laps were interesting and we finished .3 of a second apart.

So pole, fastest lap and race win to Brendan, good drive fella. Wink

Congrats to Dave on the championship and dealing with a mega strop from me mid season, Iain for organising and all who took part.

I'll be missing the first three or four Radical races as I want to take advantage of the light evenings and get a number of jobs sorted in the next few weeks.

Gary
popabawa
Legendary Leader
Former Moderators

Less yapping and more lapping!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2010, 08:57:06 AM +0100 »

I'm almost too embarrassed to post anything... I was terrible.

A really disappointing last week in both series but for different reasons.

Well done to Dave on the title win and big thanks to Pete for his server starting efforts Smiley

Legends Racing simracing team
Paul Thurston
Former Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2010, 09:43:52 AM +0100 »

I'd not had any chance to practice since Infineon, partly because I've been busy but also because I've been concentrating on finding a balance in the Radical.  I'm off for two weeks though and was planning on getting some practice in yesterday afternoon until I managed to put a one inch splinter right up the front of my left little finger so spent the afternoon at the doctor's and Ely Minor Injuries unit (NHS at it's best by the way, even the parking is free!).

Anyway, I managed to be first in the practice session once it came up and tinkered with my Infineon setup to find a balance.  I was surprised to get so quickly down into the 1:23s on fuel but struggled to keep any consistency and the rear end wanted to do it's own thing, especially round Clark where the transition between braking and power was a white knuckle ride every lap.

In the end after trying various setup strategies I went back to my original with longer gearing, took a bit more care at the tricky bits and found it was OK.  At this point I tried taking some fuel out.  Normally I have trouble with the DP on low fuel but this time I was far more comfortable with it, I was purple all the way round and actually beat my optimum, never mind my PB.  I've never done that before.

In qually I managed to do a PB fairly early so tried a bit of high fuel running.  I was tempted to drop the pressures half a pound as if the car was working well on low fuel it implied that the pressures were more optimal and maybe they were getting too hot with the extra weight.  In the event I decided it was too late to change things so didn't.

The start was good, I held my position and didn't hit anyone.  I even managed to avoid being told to keep up with the car in front on the parade lap which is a first.

I manage to find a decent pace; 1:23s with the odd 1:22 but as I approached the stop the car started to get unstable.  I span it (why do racing drivers say spun?  "It span" "it was spun". Smiley) but managed a to do a complete 360 so only lost a place or two but the car was getting progressively unpredictable.

Oily managed to spin and ended up behind me.  He was quicker but he wasn't close enough where it mattered.  He had a look into Sheene but thankfully backed out as there's no way I could have stayed wide and gone two wide round there.  I considered taking my pitstop but looking at the laps I wasn't close enough to halfway and figured I needed to do a couple more laps.

Coming into Paddock I missed my braking point slightly and half span it on turn in.  I'd have been fine to rejoin but Oily had followed me wide and couldn't avoid me.  I tried to continue and got round Druids but it was wobbling all over the place and I parked it.  It occurred to me later that it might have just been a puncture but I don't think I could have got it all the way round to the pits without causing problems for other people anyway so I'm glad I parked it.

Congratulations to Brendan and Gary, they were in a race of their own last night.  I watched the end of their race and there was some seriously quick driving going on there.  Passing's difficult enough at Brands normally though and a big car like the DP has no chance.  Gary was all over the back of Brendan at times but the mistake was never going to happen.

Let's see if I'm any better in the Radical.  I prefer smaller cars with power but am better without downforce.

Paul
Smiley
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: