by SimRacing.org.uk  

Read this first!    

May 01, 2024, 10:10:25 PM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone for night racing?  (Read 4271 times)
popabawa
Legendary Leader

Less yapping and more lapping!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2010, 03:03:05 PM +0100 »

I've just tried Richmond at night. It's very, very well done.

Legends Racing simracing team
Fred Basset
Incident Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2010, 04:08:51 PM +0100 »

I saw this and thought, what does Pops do for a living to allow him to try iRacing at 3 in the afternoon, then it came to me. He must be an international playboy, nice work if you can get it! angel

Any other impressions of the new build Iain?

Gary
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 04:36:54 PM +0100 by Fred Basset » Logged
popabawa
Legendary Leader

Less yapping and more lapping!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2010, 04:19:20 PM +0100 »

International Playboy?... I couldn't afford the pay cut!  Grin

Actually, I don't work Wednesday's. I look after my son (he's 3). I did what any responsible parent would do on the day of a major iRacing build and bought him a water pistol to buy myself some time to have a play!

The transmission modelling isn't a massive deal if you have all the aids turned on, if you're trying to manually use the clutch then it's a whole new ball-game Shocked

Gear change is slower using the aids. I suspect manually using the clutch combined with some degree of skill (I couldn't test this theory) would be quicker.

The website changes are nice, spectating works well.

I haven't run any sessions with other cars to test the damage modelling.

Legends Racing simracing team
Dave 'Gizmo' Gymer
Director General
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Currum auriga quasi furtivum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2010, 07:23:48 AM +0100 »

Sod the night racing, the new build has finally made the Car Of Yesterday properly drivable on road courses.
It's the Late Model all over again. Grin

I tried to keep it off the walls so I don't know about the aero effects of damage. I did a Lotus 79 session too (as it was titled somethinig like "OMG what have they done we're doomed" - it's not really changed that much, but with the rev limiter removed the G27 shift lights don't work (they just blink continuously) and in triple rendering mode I can't see any of the dials, so it's pot luck as to how many laps the engine lasts before it goes pop.

The really stupid thing about the Lotus is that in reality they did have rev limiters after all, it's just that the drivers usually turned them off. Roll Eyes I'll bet all the cars being driven in historic series now have them turned on!

To finish first, first you must have fins.
spanner
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Team Prodigy - UKGTR/UKAC

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2010, 08:25:40 AM +0100 »

I thought when i first tried the Lotus the orange light would flash when hitting the limiter, surprised when nothing happened.

Learn to love the Pork Smiley

Team Prodigy - Just like Team Oldie only younger, faster, less grey hair and kinder to the environment!
Fred Basset
Incident Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2010, 11:04:31 AM +0100 »

and in triple rendering mode I can't see any of the dials, so it's pot luck as to how many laps the engine lasts before it goes pop.

Dave I solve that problem with TrackIR, I turn off the yaw but leave the other 5 dof turned on, all with a 1:1 profile and no deadzone. It works very well to see the instruments with pitch and the other 4 x/y/z and rotation give a nice pseudo motion cockpit view which is very immersive. Zero impact on framerates too.

Regards
Gary
OSiriS

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2010, 11:42:40 AM +0100 »

I tried out the updated transmission model, and any delusions I might have had about being able to drive a race car in real life instantly evaporated. After a couple of laps in the vette spent spinning and being stuck in 5th gear Tongue I figured it was time to learn to drive again, so I dropped back to the skippy.

I've only ever left foot braked in sims, and while I could still do it to a certain extent, if there was downshifting involved, it was a no no and I had quite a few offs when I missed the right pedal. I was surprised that after 10 laps I was within 2 tenths of my personal best (though it probably helped that I was only downshifting into turn 1). The gear shifting actually helped my lapping, lime rock is usually a nightmare for me, especially when I'm out of practice, but I was so focused on gear changes that I wasn't blowing my lines through the corners.

Phill Kerins
spanner
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Team Prodigy - UKGTR/UKAC

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2010, 12:55:51 PM +0100 »

Oh yeah the Vette? So whats the fixed setup like? can you still use a setup or is it fixed in all sessions? Not had chance to play with iR yet.

Learn to love the Pork Smiley

Team Prodigy - Just like Team Oldie only younger, faster, less grey hair and kinder to the environment!
Dave 'Gizmo' Gymer
Director General
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2010, 03:09:25 PM +0100 »

Grant Reeve has already put the fix for the Lotus G27 shift lights into the next build. Wink

Kerr

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2010, 04:05:59 PM +0100 »

The next build 12 weeks away?

I had problems joining a session last night. I selected the sessiom then I had no option to join, withdraw or anything else. I was stuck for about 5mins before it removed me from session.

Luckily it was practice and not a race.

Seemed a few others had the same issues and iRacing had already noticed the problem.

The sounds in the Mazda seem a little odd during gear change. Around Laguna Seca you can now take some corners a good bit faster than before. I only did a few laps after jumping in cold so I did not set a real lap time though.
Dave 'Gizmo' Gymer
Director General
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2010, 05:45:02 PM +0100 »

The next build 12 weeks away?

There's quite often another one rapidly after a big one like this to tidy up silly little things. I'd be surprised if we don't get another one before the end of next week.

picnic
Director, Servers
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2010, 05:56:13 PM +0100 »

Good job the builds are not all this big, 755MB required for me!

Mr.BMW

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2010, 02:00:33 AM +0100 »

did this Update mess around with clutching? I go sequential without clutch assitance, and now the Ford spec gets stuck in neutral unless I clutch in Huh It never had this problem before the update.
Dave 'Gizmo' Gymer
Director General
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2010, 07:02:22 AM +0100 »

did this Update mess around with clutching? I go sequential without clutch assitance, and now the Ford spec gets stuck in neutral unless I clutch in Huh It never had this problem before the update.

Er... go read the iRacing forums... every third post... Tongue

OSiriS

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2010, 12:10:56 PM +0100 »

The patch makes me wish I had ffb pedals Smiley

Phill Kerins
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: