Quarterly cost: �0

nonchalant-unilinear
March 29, 2024, 07:39:21 AM +0000 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
S4455GPP
S4455GPW
S4466CA
S4467F1P
S4467F1W
S4467F2A
S4467F2P
S44JSMT
Recent
S4455GPW Indianapolis …
S4455GPP Indianapolis …
S4466CA Road America (…
S4467F1W Imola (1953-7…
S4467F1P Imola (1953-7…
S4467F2A Ingliston
S4467F2P Ingliston
Forthcoming
S44JSMT Goodwood (Circ…
S44JSMT Boreham Airfie…

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Linked Events
  • S19A Watkins Glen: August 10, 2010
August 10, 2010, 11:26:51 PM +0100 - Watkins Glen (Classic) - UKGPL Season 19 (2010) Amateurs Trophy (65)
Driver
 Team
Nat. Make Model Class Qualifying Race
Tyres Pos Time/Gap Pos Time/Gap Laps Stops Best Retirement
reason
Ballast
Al Heller
 Clark-Hill Racing
BRM P261 (1965) F1 1965 1 1:09.457
119.233mph
1 49:27.958
117.194mph
42 1:09.980
118.342mph
Dunlop  
Podkrecony_Ziutek
 Clark-Hill Racing
Lotus 33 (Climax 1965) F1 1965 4 +0.250
118.806mph
2 +2.376
117.100mph
42 1:10.055
118.215mph
Dunlop  
EvilClive
 HikiWazaRacing
Cooper T77 (Climax) F1 1965 6 +0.407
118.539mph
3 (+1) +30.389
116.006mph
42 1:10.164
118.032mph
Dunlop  
G Jonsson
 Black Night Racing
Brabham BT11 (Climax) F1 1965 7 +0.446
118.473mph
4 +30.810
115.990mph
42 1:10.291
117.819mph
Goodyear  
b_1_rd
 Clark-Hill Racing
Lotus 33 (Climax 1965) F1 1965 10 +1.381
116.909mph
5 +31.337
115.969mph
42 1:10.276
117.844mph
Dunlop  
FullMetalGasket
 Black Night Racing
Brabham BT7 (Climax) F1 1965 2 +0.104
119.055mph
6 +3L
116.503mph
39 1:10.107
118.128mph
accident
Dunlop  
natan5

BRM P261 (1965) F1 1965 8 +0.521
118.346mph
7 (+2) +0.377
116.487mph
39 1:10.010
118.291mph
accident
Dunlop  
Hristo Itchov
 HikiWazaRacing
Brabham BT7 (Climax) F1 1965 3 +0.204
118.884mph
8 +9L
117.254mph
33 1:09.797
118.652mph
engine
Dunlop  
Beefpie

Cooper T77 (Climax) F1 1965 9 +0.607
118.200mph
9 +26L
115.663mph
16 1:10.519
117.438mph
accident
Dunlop  
Phil Thornton
 Antipasti Racing
Ferrari 512 F1 1965 11 +2.147
115.658mph
10 +29L
114.341mph
13 1:11.102
116.475mph
accident
Dunlop  
NickyIckx
 Antipasti Racing
Brabham BT11 (Climax) F1 1965 5 +0.375
118.593mph
11 +40L
111.137mph
2 1:12.562
114.131mph
accident
Goodyear  
2 UKGPL_T7

BRM P261 (1965) F1 1965 12 13 DNS ---
---
Dunlop  

Moderator's Report

SUMMARY

A maiden Amateurs victory for Al Heller in the last race of the season, congratulations Al. Having graduated from the Novices last season as champion, Al has continued to improve and he is now established as a regular front-runner in the top flight. In only his second outing in the Amateurs this season Podkrecony secured a brilliant second place with Göran Jonsson grabbing the final podium slot.

Server replay time: 0h03m04s

Lap 2 – The “90” – Nicky Ickx and Evil Clive

Tim Muttram, Nicky Ickx and Evil Clive are line astern around the “90”. Tim runs wide and puts two wheels on the grass kicking up plenty of dust. Nicky holds his line but doesn’t accelerate as hard as normal to allow himself some room to manoeuvre should Tim loose control. Tim manages to get back on the tarmac without spinning but Nicky’s loss of momentum allows Clive to close up. Nicky is on the normal racing line but Clive is on the edge of the track and has to move right as the road narrows on the exit of the “90”. Clive’s nose makes contact with Nicky’s nearside rear and they both spin out. Unfortunately Nicky hits a post and his car looses a wheel putting him out of the race. Clive manages to continue.

This was only lap 2 of a very long 42 lap race so there was no need for rash moves. The power disadvantage of the Cooper meant that Clive had to stay as close as he could to the cars in front in order gain the maximum advantage from any slip stream effect. Although Clive wasn’t trying to overtake he was trying to stay very close. It is the following car’s responsibility to keep a safe distance and not to move over when there is any degree of overlap. Notwithstanding the fact that he was running out of road, Clive moved over too early so he must shoulder the responsibility for this incident.

Server replay time: 0h47m15s

Lap 40 – Front Straight – Tim Muttram and Natan Vix

Tim is leading through the Esses and decides to stay right along the Front Straight in order to have the inside line for The Loop. Natan has a power advantage in his BRM and he quickly overhauls Tim’s BT7 and draws alongside. At this point Natan drifts right and makes contact with Tim causing a crash that takes both drivers out of the race.

This incident should not have happened. The guidelines and advice are quite clear, a driver should not move across until he is quite sure it is safe to do so which usually means it should be possible for him to see the opposing car in his mirrors. In this case it was even possible to see the nose of Tim’s car from the “look right” cockpit view.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: UKGPL Season 19 (2010) Amateurs Trophy (65) - Watkins Glen (GP) - Aug 10  (Read 8488 times)
Phil Thornton
UKGPL Consigliere
Administrator

View Profile
« on: August 07, 2010, 01:29:01 PM +0100 »

Season 19 Amateurs Trophy - Round 10 - Watkins Glen

The final round of the season will be in the USA.  Although the championship has been decided there is still the chance to race for honour and glory and secure a place in history as a race winner.

Watkins Glen International ("The Glen") is an auto race track located near Watkins Glen, New York, at the southern tip of Seneca Lake. It was long known around the world as the home of the United States Grand Prix, which it hosted for 20 consecutive years (1961–1980). In the early years races passed through the heart of the town with spectators lining the sidewalks, but after a car left the road in a 1952 race, killing one spectator and injuring several others, the race was moved to a new location on a wooded hilltop southwest of town. Later a permanent race course was constructed on 550 acres, overlapping part of the previous course. Despite improvements, the circuit became unable to safely handle the increasingly faster and stiffer ground effect cars of the late 70s and a few horrendous, sometimes fatal accidents and increasingly rowdy segments of the crowd began to tarnish its image. Finally, in May, 1981, several months after Alan Jones had won the 1980 race for Williams, the International Auto Sports Federation removed the race from its schedule because the track had failed to pay its debts to the teams.

Reserve drivers should not join until there are only 30 mins of qualifying left.  However, all drivers should not go on track until there is 30 minutes of qualifying left.  This helps all drivers join the server successfully.  Please restrict chat to pit messages including at the end of the race until ALL drivers still racing have crossed the line.

Don't forget to use the updated 65 mod for this race.

Please be in the IGOR UKGPL chatroom by 8:55 p.m.
(You will need to set up a channel called #ukgpl if you haven't already done so)
IGOR and Race passwords: see above

Server = UKGPL_T7_2
IP address = 62.149.202.168
Race Date = 10-08-2010
Time = 21:00
Track = Watkins Glen
Variant = 65F1
Damage Model = Pro
Qually Time = 30 minutes.
Race Length = 50 minutes  (42 Laps)
Password: see above

Driver lists can be found on the championship standings page

We have split the cars into groups based on average performance and split the drivers into groups based on average ability. The chassis numbers for Amateurs are as follows:

AMATEUR CHASSIS GROUPS
1 - Lotus, Ferrari
2 - BRM, Honda
3 - BT11
4 - Cooper
5 - BT7

Each driver has been given a seeding number and must pick a chassis with either an equal number or higher number but not a lower number. For example, if a driver is given a seeding of 2, he must pick one of the cars in group 2 (BRM or Honda) but if he would prefer to drive either the BT11, Cooper or BT7 he may do so. This means that a driver given a seeding of 1 can pick any chassis he prefers.

**NOTE**
Whichever chassis a driver begins his first race with is the chassis he must use for the remainder of the season unless a change has been agreed with the moderator.

The following drivers have made their chassis choice:

FULL TIME
Driver
Chassis
Phil
Ferrari 512
EvilClive
Cooper
Bernie
Lotus 33
John Roberts
Brabham BT11
FullMetal
Brabham BT7
b_1_rd
Lotus 33
policardi
Brabham BT11
al heller
BRM P261
Nicky
Brabham BT11
clutch
Lotus 33
kinghiro
BRM P261
g jonsson
Brabham BT11
Jimmy Rye
BRM P261
natan
BRM P261

RESERVES
Driver
Chassis
Hristo
Brabham BT7
Bartosz
Lotus 33
Bob Whitwell
Brabham BT11

The following drivers are still to make their chassis choice:

RESERVES
DriverSeeding
Asbjeurn
Ruud
Joe Shaw (Beefpie)

Please use the updated 65 mod for this race which is available here:
Jamesonline.net/UKGPL
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 10:27:48 PM +0100 by Phil Thornton » Logged
NickyIckx

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 09:58:01 PM +0100 »

Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry

ok , I am totaly sick of that so called amateurs .
race number four now , in which I am got simply slaughtered , this time by Evil Clive in an unbeatable stupid action .
I am here fore racing and as I cant extract any fun out of beeing simply been chrashed out  over and over by idiots . I wont go for SA20 .

thanks to those done hosting and admins work and to those done clear fair racing .
Phil Thornton
UKGPL Consigliere
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 10:02:04 PM +0100 »

Having a good clean battle with my nemesis Mr Bird when I ran out of talent at the loop and lost a wheel Sad.  Hope you stay on track Steve, thanks for some great racing this season  thumbup1
Hristo Itchov

There is no limit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 10:31:42 PM +0100 »

race number four now , in which I am got simply slaughtered , this time by Evil Clive in an unbeatable stupid action .
I am here fore racing and as I cant extract any fun out of beeing simply been chrashed out  over and over by idiots . I wont go for SA20 .

thanks to those done hosting and admins work and to those done clear fair racing .

Nicky, it's the same people you race in the other categories. Just protest separately per incident and let the system handle it.

As for my race, I had a very strong start and took advantage of Al's and Tim's hesitation to take the lead, but then was pressed very hard by Al. Fortunately he had to fend off Pod and so I managed to stretch a bit of a lead (1-2 seconds), but I had to drive inch perfect to keep that gap.

It worked for half of the race and my consistency was very good while still driving right on the edge in every corner. Eventually Al remained the sole contender in 2nd place and could catch up slightly, but somehow I managed to keep the gap at around 1 second.

Then I had an off at The Loop, but just a brief one, losing me 3 seconds. I pushed really hard to regain the lead and without sliptstream Al couldn't quite pull away, so I reeled him in and he sort of handed me 1st after a bad exit at the penultimate corner.

I managed to put a little gap again and was looking set for victory when the engine cried enough with 9 laps to go. It should be expected after pushing it so hard all race long, but there was simply no other way.

I hope to have better lucky in the AMs next season as I really enjoy 65s but it doesn't work out for some reason.

Cheers,

-=Hristo=-

vosblod
Former UKGPL Moderators

can divide by zero

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 10:46:04 PM +0100 »

Nicky, it's the same people you race in the other categories. Just protest separately per incident and let the system handle it.
Yep that's what the moderating is for. Would be a shame to see you leave us Nicky.
b_1_rd
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 10:53:11 PM +0100 »

Having a good clean battle with my nemesis Mr Bird when I ran out of talent at the loop and lost a wheel Sad.  Hope you stay on track Steve, thanks for some great racing this season  thumbup1

I was disappointed to see you go out Phil, great fun, as was the season.  Thanks for the clean racing.

Ready to take over from Phil's and my battle was Goran! So we ran a good few laps close together, I could get no advantage at all so thought I'd let Goran have a crack in the front to see if he could drag us away from Evil and closer to Natan but Clive closed us down so we ended up in a 3 way tussle.  I was trying everything to keep with them and never really had a realistic chance to get passed, but was ready to dart through if any major mistakes happened.  Shame Phil wasn't there to make it a 4 way dice.

Great driving guys, good fun.  One day I might even get enough pace to challange a bit more!!

Grats to Al and Bart for the CHR 1-2.

Good season, thanks to all who took part, modded and organised servers etc.  Grats to Tim for the title.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 10:55:17 PM +0100 by b_1_rd » Logged

Steve

Remember, you’re an individual, just like everyone else.
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 09:02:14 AM +0100 »

I'm sorry that you feel that way Nicky, and I apologise for the contact.
I was as surprised as you were that we tangled. I carried a lot more speed through the last corner than you did and as a result closed up on your tail pipes very quickly. I had to let my car run wide to avoid rear ending you, I would rather have stayed in your slipstream.

I thought that you had seen me and that you were taking a defensive line towards T1 and staying to the right, so I moved out to the edge of the circuit on the left where you had left a wide gap. The Cooper did not have enough acceleration to even attempt a pass on you. I was simply trying to maintain my speed.
I guess we were overlapped by about 25%-50% when you started to ease out to the left and we touched, or warp got involved. I thought that my race was over too, but it seems that my car was undamaged but that you were out.

Please submit an incident report and let the moderators decide if I was to blame. All I can say was that I was not trying to make an ambitious pass, or any other sort of pass.

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @ Evilclive67**
Rank   Only when I sweat
fpolicardi

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 09:57:36 AM +0100 »

Luckily I didn't race last night cause I had my daughter and my grandson at dinner Wink Anyway I don't like to be called idiot in a public forum and I think neither the other guys that had the fault to race you.
Shumy was penalized for his bad move on Barrichello at Hungarian GP and you'd better think on your habit to move over to close abruptly the door, see Rouen and Zeltweg, not the best gentleman driving if you're claiming for that IMO.
Ciao

Fulvio Policardi
Team7 Driver
Al Heller
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2010, 11:38:45 AM +0100 »

I was really pleased to finish my first Am's season with a win, but even better to be racing at the sharp end the whole race Smiley.

I set a PB in Q thanks to some tow assistance (cheers Steve Wink) but then almost shot myself in the foot by towing FMG round to within a tenth of my time.. was relieved to just about hang onto pole as the starts can be a bit messy here. Got away reasonably well & led lap 1 but Hristo soon sped ahead at the Loop where I was perhaps a bit too cautious on cold tyres. After I dropped into 2nd, I had big pressure from my teammate Pod who was very quick & eventually passed me into Big Bend. This dropped me into the clutches of FMG & with visions of dropping from 1st to 4th in as many laps, I decided I'd better get a move on! Managed to return the favour to Pod at Big Bend & was able to pull away slightly because now he was busy trying to fend off FMG.

Hristo was going very quickly & consistently in the lead, so once I caught his tow we were able to pull something of a gap to the 3rd place battle. While I was able to hang onto the rear of H's BT7, getting past looked like a different story. The only places I would gain time (thanks to the BRM power) were on the run down to Big Bend & before the Loop - but I didn't want to slow both of us down with my overtaking attempts, as we were still steadily pulling away from the rest of the field - so I thought I'd wait until the last 10 laps or so before really trying to get past. When H went off at the Loop, I thought it was my lucky day - I tried to push hard so that he'd lose my tow but I just wasn't quick enough & he soon swooped past into the lead again. Just as I started mulling over a potentially risky move into the Loop, the GPL gods decided to take pity on me & H's engine went. After that I had a nervy final 10 laps or so as Pod was pushing hard all the way to the end.

Thanks to H, Pod & FMG for the good, clean racing & WD to Pod on a very impressive "guest appearance" (fulltime next season perhaps?). I was surprised to learn that I'd pipped Goran in the final standings as my season was a bit scrappy & I found it quite hard to extract the best out of the BRM, especially in the 1st half of the season. As ever, hoping to make more progress next season Wink
Beefpie

Hack of all trades

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2010, 12:33:08 PM +0100 »

Definately need to get some more time in 65s, I was really impressed by the closeness of the racing.

With little practice and no tow it qualifying was unimpressive, but I then had a fantastic race with Natan, never more than a few tenths apart. This continued until I rear ended him (sorry!), at least luckily he appeared to be unaffected. Frustratingly my first UKGPL race finish may have to wait a while.

Well done to Al for the win and thanks again to the organisers, 'till next time... Smiley
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 02:35:49 PM +0100 by Beefpie » Logged

J.Shaw
Turkey Machine
UKGPL Assistant Divisional Moderator

Elitist psychopath with AS.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2010, 01:13:02 PM +0100 »

Welcome to my world (or the people I race against). It happens, you just need to change your driving style to avoid such incidents, something I also need to learn racing with real people and not the AI. Hopefully with the off-season races I can hone this and race fairly when allowed.

WD to former teamy Al, consistency does pay off. Smiley

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10. Why the hell do I keep crashing then?!
JamesRye

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2010, 02:04:54 PM +0100 »

I had practiced quite a bit for this one, but was unable to race. As real life seems to be interfering more and more, I will take this opportunity to announce my retirement.

Thanks to all the moderators and to Evil and Hristo as these are the guys with whom I had my best battles.

James
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2010, 02:11:56 PM +0100 »

Sorry to hear that you are leaving us James.  Undecided you were a dangerously quick guy  Grin Grin Grin

Maybe you will find time to join us at any time you want some fun and games on the track. Roll Eyes

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @ Evilclive67**
Rank   Only when I sweat
Hristo Itchov

There is no limit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2010, 05:12:36 PM +0100 »

I had practiced quite a bit for this one, but was unable to race. As real life seems to be interfering more and more, I will take this opportunity to announce my retirement.

Thanks to all the moderators and to Evil and Hristo as these are the guys with whom I had my best battles.

James

That is sad to hear, James. I hope you work towards finding some spare time to race again soon.

bernie

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2010, 12:41:56 PM +0100 »

Looks like I missed the final round of "everything " due to Hols etc.

Sorry to here that Nicky might resign , shit happens to us all at some time or other, and sometimes it sticks, though it sometimes takes 2 to make the accident  Roll Eyes

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com