Quarterly cost: �0

March 28, 2024, 08:16:04 PM +0000 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
S4455GPP
S4455GPW
S4466CA
S4467F1P
S4467F1W
S4467F2A
S4467F2P
S44JSMT
Recent
S4455GPW Indianapolis …
S4455GPP Indianapolis …
S4466CA Road America (…
S4467F1W Imola (1953-7…
S4467F1P Imola (1953-7…
S4467F2A Ingliston
S4467F2P Ingliston
Forthcoming
S44JSMT Goodwood (Circ…
S44JSMT Boreham Airfie…

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Linked Events
  • S19N Watkins Glen: August 10, 2010
August 10, 2010, 09:43:15 PM +0100 - Watkins Glen (Classic) - UKGPL Season 19 (2010) Novices Trophy (65)
Driver
 Team
Nat. Make Model Class Qualifying Race
Tyres Pos Time/Gap Pos Time/Gap Laps Stops Best Retirement
reason
Ballast
Ross Neilson
 Clark-Hill Racing
Lotus 33 (Climax 1965) F1 1965 3 +0.474
---
1 39:15.880
---
33 1:10.749
---
Dunlop  
maestro57
 Black Night Racing
Brabham BT11 (Climax) F1 1965 4 +0.567
---
2 +11.751
---
33 1:11.020
---
Goodyear  
vosblod
 Clark-Hill Racing
Lotus 33 (Climax 1965) F1 1965 5 +0.717
---
3 +16.426
---
33 1:10.882
---
Dunlop  
BookieW
 HikiWazaRacing
BRM P261 (1965) F1 1965 10 +3.548
---
4 +32.471
---
33 1:10.917
---
Dunlop  
roguk
 Clark-Hill Racing
Cooper T77 (Climax) F1 1965 6 +1.081
---
5 +32.681
---
33 1:11.226
---
Dunlop  
NHance
 Mountside Racing
Brabham BT11 (Climax) F1 1965 2 +0.253
---
6 +45.020
---
33 1:10.535
---
Goodyear  
maddog

Cooper T77 (Climax) F1 1965 8 +1.484
---
7 (+2) +1:35.219
---
33 1:11.671
---
Dunlop  
Nigel Smith

Honda RA272 F1 1965 7 +1.391
---
8 +2L
---
31 1:11.230
---
Goodyear  
D-Rock

Lotus 33 (Climax 1965) F1 1965 1 1:10.037
---
9 +3L
---
30 1:10.582
---
Dunlop  
James Andrew

BRM P261 (1965) F1 1965 9 +2.271
---
10 +2:59.972
---
30 1:12.953
---
Dunlop  
6 UKGPL

Lotus 33 (Climax 1965) F1 1965 11 DNS ---
---
Dunlop  

Moderator's Report

The final race proved to be another exciting one with several drivers managing to complete perfect pirouettes after practising them so hard at Wigram.

The season has been a close and exciting one too with 5 potential champions on the grid at Watkins Glen.

Pete Maestro's second place was good enough as Vosblod finished behind him, and no amount of bribery could sway the moderators to revise their decision. Maybe cash as oppose to book tokens would have seen a different result but Pete is a worthy champion bringing home the BT11 in a cleanly fought season long campaign.

I think there will be quite a few Coopers in the Novices next season.

Server replay time: 0

Martin Hunt begins the race on the right hand side of the grid and moves immediately to the left, then heads back to the right but gets stuck in the middle before moving left again and then right where he hits RogUK.

Drivers are always asked to remain on their own side of the grid at the start and through T1 wherever possible as moving unnecessarily when lag and warp are at their worst makes the chances of contact (or warp) much higher.

Usually where warp is a factor, the guilty driver may be given the benefit of the doubt, but because Martin moved around so much on a busy grid he was asking for trouble and it was no surprise when he caused an accident.

Server replay time: 0h11m00s

Martin Hunt overtakes Nigel Smith on the approach to The Loop when there is clearly a Yellow Flag being shown.

Server replay time: 0h11m00s

Martin Hunt overtakes Nigel Smith then crashes out.

He takes a SHIFT R but does not take the required accompanying Stop n Go penalty.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: UKGPL Season 19 (2010) Novices Trophy (65) - Watkins Glen (GP) - Aug 10  (Read 4450 times)
Phil Thornton
UKGPL Consigliere
Administrator

View Profile
« on: August 07, 2010, 01:56:02 PM +0100 »

Season 19 Novices Trophy - Round 10 Watkins Glen

The final round of the season will be in the USA.  The championship is still wide open with the top 4 drivers all in with a chance of wining the title.  Norm's chances are a little slim, he still has a mathematical chance but he will need a lot of retirements from the front runners.  Similarly Rog has to drop 15 points (his next lowest scoring round to date) so he can only score a maximum of 270 points.  The main protagonists are Pete and Vos, the wise money would be on one of those two but anything can happen in racing!  Pete has to drop 20 points (his next lowest scoring round to date) but Vos already has two none-scoring rounds to his name so all his points in the final round will count towards his championship total.  What this means is Pete can't afford to play safe and follow Vos across the line, it will be a case of winner takes all.

Watkins Glen International ("The Glen") is an auto race track located near Watkins Glen, New York, at the southern tip of Seneca Lake. It was long known around the world as the home of the United States Grand Prix, which it hosted for 20 consecutive years (1961–1980). In the early years races passed through the heart of the town with spectators lining the sidewalks, but after a car left the road in a 1952 race, killing one spectator and injuring several others, the race was moved to a new location on a wooded hilltop southwest of town. Later a permanent race course was constructed on 550 acres, overlapping part of the previous course. Despite improvements, the circuit became unable to safely handle the increasingly faster and stiffer ground effect cars of the late 70s and a few horrendous, sometimes fatal accidents and increasingly rowdy segments of the crowd began to tarnish its image. Finally, in May, 1981, several months after Alan Jones had won the 1980 race for Williams, the International Auto Sports Federation removed the race from its schedule because the track had failed to pay its debts to the teams.

Reserve drivers should not join until there are only 30 mins of qualifying left.  However, all drivers should not go on track until there is 30 minutes of qualifying left.  This helps all drivers join the server successfully.  Please restrict chat to pit messages.

Don't forget to use the updated 65 mod for this race.

Please be in the IGOR UKGPL chatroom by 8:55 p.m.
(You will need to set up a channel called #ukgpl if you haven't already done so)
IGOR and Race passwords: see above

Server = 6.UKGPL
IP Address = 80.5.200.198
Race Date = 10-08-2010
Time = 21:00
Track = Watkins Glen
Variant = 65F1
Damage Model = Intermediate
Qually Time = 30 minutes.
Race Length = Int Long
Password: see above

Driver lists can be found on the championship standings page

We have split the cars into groups based on average performance and split the drivers into groups based on average ability. The chassis numbers for Novices are as follows:

NOVICE CHASSIS GROUPS
1 - Lotus, Ferrari, BRM, Honda
2 - BT11
3 - Cooper
4 - BT7

Each driver has been given a seeding number and must pick a chassis with either an equal number or higher number but not a lower number. For example, if a driver is given a seeding of 2, he must pick one of the cars in group 2 (BT11) but if he would prefer to drive either the Cooper or BT7 he may do so. This means that a driver given a seeding of 1 can pick any chassis he prefers.

**NOTE**
Whichever chassis a driver begins his first race with is the chassis he must use for the remainder of the season unless a change has been agreed with the moderator.

The following drivers have made their chassis choice:

FULL TIME
Driver
Chassis
D-Rock
Lotus 33
NHance
Brabham BT11
roguk
Cooper T77
maddog
Cooper T77
maestro
Brabham BT11
il_lupo
Ferrari 512
happyal
BRM P261
Billy
Brabham BT11
gilles27
Lotus 33
G Poole
Brabham BT11
BookieW
BRM P261
Sharkfin
BRM P261
norbert
Ferrari 512
Vosblod
Lotus 33
Burtoner
Brabham BT11

RESERVES
Driver
Chassis
Nigel Smith
Honda RA272
karlisss
Honda RA272

The following drivers are still to make their chassis choice:

RESERVES
DriverSeeding
miner2049er

Please use the updated 65 mod for this race which is available here:
Jamesonline.net/UKGPL
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 08:19:00 PM +0100 by Phil Thornton » Logged
D-Rock

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 07:41:42 PM +0100 »

Im thinking of running this one, though I may be a little rusty after such a long hiatus. After going through moving and everything that comes with that, it'll be nice to get back on the track again.
D-Rock

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 10:27:06 PM +0100 »

Well, after being gone for so long I guess this was a fairly decent return, at least the part where I won the pole was. I cruised for several laps in 5th, not wanting to interfere too much with the title contenders. Then, in a moment of cruel irony, I spun in the carousel just moments after having talked on the phone while driving 2 mistake free laps. After that I rode around some more until my engine blew up 15 laps in. After taking my stop go I made it til 3 to go before spinning again, after which the game decided to CTD. Overall though it was good to race again, and hopefully between work and school I'll have time to drive in the offseason and in Season 20.
vosblod
Former UKGPL Moderators

can divide by zero

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 11:53:37 PM +0100 »

Firstly a big hand to Pete Maestro who pipped me to the post. Great championship battle.
Good start saw me third then followed Ross through to second. After that ambition got the better of ability and my potential move to make Ross my buffer back to Norm resulted in a loopy at the Loop.
After that Pete was through and try as I might I could not close the gap - even my 200 pins into the Meastro57 voodoo doll would not do the trick  Wink
Seriously, four wins was more then I ever hoped for this season and it was a great championship battle so see you all after the break (PLUG; don't forget we will have some Fun races)

Oh and a big 'black fingernail' for our unsung hero; they seek him here, they seek him there, those Frenchies seek him everywhere, is he in heaven or is he in hell, that damned elusive Statmeister aka The Stig of UKGPL. Adds a bit of extra fun to the proceedings.

PS: a big hand to my doppelganger Tim on winning the Am's
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 01:12:53 PM +0100 by vosblod » Logged
happyal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 12:07:10 PM +0100 »

Sorry I missed teh race, but as I'd had no pratice I thought it was better to stay well away.

Just wanted to say a big well done to Pete Maestro for his championship win, well deserved. Of course also to Vos, a close second and still a great year.

GPL65Rank = coming soon.....
GPL65v2Rank = +187.164
maddog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 02:17:15 PM +0100 »

Grumble . . . grumble!  I new this race was going to be a challenge, for the working mans Cooper.  Threw everything but the kitchen sink, at a monumental setup, but it remained an uphill battle.  The car simply couldn't compete, with those snobbish Lotus' up the road, and gravity was winning.  So practice saw me trying in vain to put the 'welly' in, and I failed at the big tow.  So a lightning start from the back of the grid, and a red flagged thunderstorm, after 3 laps, were the best I could hope for.

It started well enough, as I drew alongside Rogers Coop.  But slower traffic mid-Esses curtailed my aspirations.  I'd considered a 3 wide move, but even as I put the yard stick away, a warp had my counterpart tasting the guard rail.  I keep forgetting these distances aren't real!  So a long uphill slog ensued - the downhill parts weren't so bad. Undecided

My race was livened up the most during lappery.  I met with two slower cars at the entrance to The Loop, on two separate occasions.  Fortuitous, in that they allowed me to compare notes with the 67 race, at the weekend.  My 'seat of the pants' feeling, is that there's little difference in the trajectory of these 65s, once adhesion is lost.  Even though the 67s have more potential grip.  I think the straw may have tasted a little better on Tuesday though - a bit more moisture in it . . . and a bit less chewy.  Grumble!  So I trundled around, wondering what greatness had transpired up the road - rather a long way up the road!

The replay tells of a tremendous race long battle, between Roger and Bobby for 4th - very entertaining.  And of coarse, the major event had to be, 'The clash of the Titans', with Tim and Maestro going for glory, and Norm, hell for leather, trying to overcome the odds.  What a great championship decider!  Another dominating win for Ross, upstaged by these pretenders to the throne.  Only one of them ain't pretending no more!  Thanks for keeping things exciting chaps - a hard earned, and well deserved crown.

As for the next race at this infernal track, I'm well prepared.  But I'd suggest a small alteration . . . seeing as so many of us, discovered our cars prefered going backwards at certain places, why not make this a backwards race!  What's with these silly historical conventions?  No, I don't mean the track, the cars, backwards.  My setup is already dialed in, just need to add some floating mirrors, and scratch around for the perfect reverse gearing . . . and I could fool my car into thinking it was last!  Whats the problem . . . sounds good to me!  Grin

Sorry the Seasons over, it's been great!

Martin.    

« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 02:22:57 PM +0100 by maddog » Logged
BookieW

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 03:49:55 PM +0100 »

Wow, my first race back in quite a while.  I could do no better than last on the grid during qually.  Well below my best time.  Decided to try to keep out of trouble and stay on the track.  Did too for the most part.  As time went on, my car got better and better(more laps on a new to me setup).  Found I was able to hold my own in the middle of the pack....exciting....not used to this.  The last ten laps with Roger were exciting too.  I was faster in some sections and was able to gain slowly.  The draft played a major part in my pass in Big Bend.  Thanks to Roger for not punting me off in the last corner.  It was fun!

Bookie
Ross Neilson
UKGPL Divisional Moderator
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 06:37:56 PM +0100 »

We didn't quite match the thrills and spills of Adelaide 1986 but this wasn't a bad title decider, especially from where I was watching. Commiserations to team-mates Tim and Rog, plus Norm, but in the end Pete was indeed the Maestro with a typically smooth drive. He's produced a number of those this season and fully deserves to be champ - WELL DONE THAT MAN!

D-Rock set a cracking pole time but my 3rd place soon became 2nd after he bogged down. Norm, myself and Tim broke away from the pack and had a good battle for the first few laps. Sadly it ended too soon as they both tried passing me into the Loop, and both ran out of road. That left me with a battle against concentration for the rest of the race. The only slight alarm was Martin spinning in front of me when I lapped him.

It was good to see D-Rock and Bookie back on track this evening, hope you guys will be competing on a regular basis next season as you've clearly got the speed to do well.

After three wins in the last four races I've got my feet under the table at UKGPL and am looking forward to season 20.

Racing as Ross Neilson 65/66/69 for Clark-Hill Racing
maddog

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2010, 07:23:38 PM +0100 »

The only slight alarm was Martin spinning in front of me when I lapped him.

Lapped?  I'll have you know, I carry a top secret anti-lapping devise!  It looked to me more like the actions of a jealous stablemate.
NHance

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2010, 08:10:59 PM +0100 »

I knew the result I needed. Also I needed to change my attitude, so no more caution picking up points, its win or bust time. For first time ever I didn't use my own set up but one downloaded from race sim ages ago. That took ½ sec off my PB.

Took an early lead from Ross, Vos & Pete, if it stays like this its just call me champ I thought.... er chump may be more appropriate. Small mistake running wide at The Loop & I was 3rd but Vos went off & I caught leader Ross. Its all or nothing now as I made an attempt to pass at The Loop. Fair do's Ross saw me coming & gave me room but I lost it & dropped to 4th.

After that I had some spins, probably more than in the previous 7 races put together & a bump with Sharkfin as he tried to let me through but I chose the wrong side. Amazingly the car held together in all this but I ended up 6th & 4th in championship unless I committed any errors for the Mods.

I'm happy though 'cos I gave it my best shot. Well done Pete a worthy champion whose been consistant all season & to Vos & Ross also. Respect due to our 2 Cooper drivers as well. Good to see a few returned faces at this one & hope we have fuller grids next season.

Norm H
maestro57

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2010, 01:27:55 PM +0100 »

Well that was a sweaty palms final race of the season! sweatdrop

Starting the final race in 1st place in the championship with only a slim lead in front of Vos, and I think the top four all in with a shout, is a bit nerve racking

Things didn’t start off well! oops
Joined qually only to find my wheel had lost its calibration setting, was 90deg out and wouldn't recalibrate.
Had to leave session and try and fix it, played around but still didn't seem to be 100% correct but tried in GPL offline and it seemed to be at least working OK. Rejoined with half the qually session already gone.

Struggled to get any sort of sensible time, either by my own mistakes or meeting other drivers. At the very last moment managed to get a lap in for 4th on the grid. Still way off a PB but it was one place in front of Vos. Phew I thought.

Congrats to D-Rock for pole time clap, especially as he hasn’t been driving for the last 4 rounds.

Start of race and Vos drives past me with ease. Shocked Where are my flying starts when you really need them. Down to 5th and not reached T1 :'(
The front four were pulling away slowly and with Vos in front of me, that was probably the championship gone. Then the race fairy started waving her magic wand  sorcerer and one after the other Vos, D-Rock and NHance fell off the black stuff and I was now second chasing Ross and importantly with Vos behind me in third.

Ross was faster and 100% consistent and slowly pulling out 1/10ths and moving away.
Vos seemed to yo-yo the distance behind me a small amount but generally I seemed to be making the gap bigger.

It seemed a very long race, and I was watching prib times all the way and hoping I didn’t make a mistake

Ended up 2nd and with Vos behind in 3rd was enough to stay in the lead and win the series.
Very pleased to have got there in the end and after 4 seasons in Novs it is nice to finally come out on top.

I would like to thank the following people for helping me win the championship Grin

I Am Not Worthy Vos – thanks for missing the first two rounds, 4 wins in only 8 races makes you top race winner this season
 I Am Not Worthy Ross – thank god this was your first full season and your early races you kept falling off. 3 wins and a 3rd in the last 4 races
 I Am Not Worthy D-Rock – thanks for being new and absent for four rounds. With 3 poles and 1 win you are too quick.
 I Am Not Worthy N-Hance – thanks for missing two rounds, 5 podiums and two Fastest Laps in the last three races means you are also much too quick now.

I think I had a bit of a jenson button season, started well, and by the end was lucky as quite a few others were a lot quicker than me so was lucky to hang on. Thanks for the excellent racing guys

Also Big Thanks to all organizing people. clap See you next season or maybe some fun races soon
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 09:54:53 AM +0100 by maestro57 » Logged

"You win some, lose some, and wreck some."
miner2049er
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2010, 07:01:39 PM +0100 »

Race Mod and Season Standings finalised

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com