by SimRacing.org.uk  

Read this first!    

March 29, 2024, 11:17:23 AM +0000 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Linked Events
  • i4r VIR: October 05, 2010
October 05, 2010, 06:00:00 PM +0100 - VIR (North) - iRacing Season 4 Radical - @iRacing.com
Driver
 Team
Nat. Make Model Class Qualifying Race
Tyres Pos Time/Gap Pos Time/Gap Laps Led Best Retirement
reason
Incidents
Paul Richards
 Legends Racing
Radical SR8 (#36) {unknown} 1 1:19.490
101.902mph
1 59:52.952
99.196mph
44 44 1:20.431
100.710mph
Dunlop  
Fred Basset
 Kerb Crawlers
Radical SR8 (#36) {unknown} 2 +0.438
101.343mph
2 +15.136
98.780mph
44   1:20.521
100.597mph
Dunlop  
Mike Wrightson
 Team Shark
Radical SR8 (#36) {unknown} 3 +0.968
100.676mph
3 +19.264
98.667mph
44   1:20.898
100.128mph
Dunlop  
Simon Gymer
 Team Shark
Radical SR8 (#36) {unknown} 4 +1.121
100.485mph
4 +22.279
98.585mph
44   1:20.698
100.376mph
Dunlop 1
ross.mcw
 Prodigy Racing
Radical SR8 (#36) {unknown} 8 +2.501
98.793mph
5 +1L 43   1:21.561
99.314mph
Dunlop 11
Paul Thurston
 Epicurie Banana
Radical SR8 (#36) {unknown} 6 +1.312
100.247mph
6 43   1:21.510
99.376mph
Dunlop  
Blunder
 Team Oldie Racing
Radical SR8 (#36) {unknown} 9 +2.505
98.789mph
7 43   1:22.377
98.330mph
Dunlop 2
picnic
 Team Shark
Radical SR8 (#36) {unknown} 7 +2.366
98.956mph
8 43   1:21.550
99.328mph
Dunlop 10
popabawa
 Legends Racing
Radical SR8 (#36) {unknown} 12 +4.435
96.517mph
9 43   1:21.926
98.872mph
Dunlop 3
Adam Parle
 Legends Racing
Radical SR8 (#36) {unknown} 11 +3.584
97.505mph
10 +36L 8   1:23.155
97.410mph
Disco
Dunlop 9
Brendan
 Kerb Crawlers
Radical SR8 (#36) {unknown} 5 +1.232
100.346mph
11 +37L 7   1:21.173
99.789mph
Disco
Dunlop 2
Burtoner
 Team Shark
Radical SR8 (#36) {unknown} 10 +3.494
97.611mph
12 7   1:22.470
98.220mph
Disco
Dunlop 9
Legzy
 Team Oldie Racing
Radical SR8 (#36) {unknown} 13 +14.348
86.321mph
13 +41L 3   1:24.829
95.488mph
Disco
Dunlop 2
SimRacing.org.uk Lap Records
iRacing
{unknown}
1:19.490
101.902mph
Paul Richards
Qualifying
Radical SR8October 05, 2010, 06:00:00 PM +0100
i4r
iRacing
{unknown}
1:20.431
100.710mph
Paul Richards
Race
Radical SR8October 05, 2010, 06:00:00 PM +0100
i4r
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: iRacing Season 4 Radical - VIR (North) - Oct 5  (Read 7337 times)
Paul Thurston
Former Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2010, 06:06:00 AM +0100 »

Were it not for bad luck I'd have no luck at all lately.

In qually I went off on my outlap so reset and started again.  Coming up the straight Rob came out of the pits and wombled to the middle before spotting me at the last second forcing me to lift.  Another lap gone.  After that I kept screwing up a corner a lap until I got the two laps fuel warning.  that lap I hooked up and was heading for a mid 1:20 or better until the final complex when I missed the downshift to third.  I kept my foot in and lugged it to the line for a 20.8 and 6th.

I got a decent start and held off Ross into T1.  The car felt strange, I wonder if I'm getting frame rate problems in traffic, I was too busy to look.  After a couple of laps with Ross under my rear wing he made a mistake, dropped back a little and I started to find my pace and pull away.

Brendan was a little way in front by now but I was still in touch.  When he had his off I settled in to drive smoothly and aim for my planned pitstop around lap 26.

Approaching the pitstop window Gary was getting close behind me after his stop and Pete was ahead but a lap down.  Rather than lose time lapping Pete or defending from Gary I went in a lap early.  By now I had a pitstop in hand on Ross in 6th so took it easy.

Not easy enough.  I saw the speed jump to 46 for a fraction of a second on the run through the pits.

I wasn't taking tyres so it was a short stop though was still surprised to come out right behind Simon.  That was short lived though when i saw the speeding penalty.  What it didn't do is tell me what I had to do.  I came in on the next lap and stopped in my box whereupon I was given 21 laps of fuel and some new tyres before my penalty even started!  What a stupid piece of software design.

So now I came out about 6 seconds behind Ross pulling a caravan.  I caught up with Ross when he made a mistake and tried to harry him but he was driving well and his weight advantage gave him so much better acceleration out of the final complex I couldn't get near.

Not long ago I'd have looked at 6th as a good result rather than a missed opportunity.  In reality Simon was quicker than me and I'd not have done better than 5th but it would have been nice to at least been in his mirrors for a few laps after the stop.

Ho hum.

Paul
Smiley
Adam Parle
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2010, 08:42:29 AM +0100 »

Small mistakes led to me being dropped by Pops and Picnic, who I was hoping to have a race with .... and ultimatley a light kiss of a tyre wall ruined the handling - so that was that.
ross.mcw

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2010, 10:24:28 AM +0100 »

Probably my best all-round performance on any sim to date given how hard this combo was - really hard work.

On the outlap, I saw Brendan's car take a big hit to the rear despite no-one else being near him - looked like someone had just shot his car with a shot gun!  Obviously lag induced and possibly only I saw it but was very weird!

Got a decent start and spent the first couple of laps trying to find a way past Paul T figuring he must have some kind of issue for me to be able to hassle him.  Tried to outbrake him into T1 but he squeezed/closed me off with a really tough but excellent move to hold the place.

Through trying a bit hard to catch Paul, I ended up having a couple of minor slides leaving me losing him and falling back to Rob and Martin.  Rob dropped away leaving Martin on my tail.  I seemed to be a bit quicker when I could hold it together, but a number of errors preceded a small run wide at T1 letting Martin past.

I managed to close back up to Martin quite quickly but couldn't get past so figured it was going to come down to passing him in the pits.

Pitted on L22 with a very clean and quick stop taking on fuel and tyres.  A few more quick laps and eventually I saw he'd pitted and for whatever reason I had about 10 seconds on him as I past the pits.  Stupidly though, I ran wide on T1 through lack of concentration dropping that difference to about 4 or 5 seconds but I was pretty sure that staying ahead of him would just need some consistent error free driving from me.

A lap or two later I was very surprised/happy to pass Paul in the pits (found out later he'd had a black flag) although I figured he'd be past me in no time.

In the end though, despite a couple of small slips, I was able to hold him off (through having a lighter fuel load I realise now) with only letting the leaders through without dropping too much time to worry about.

5th place was as good as I could possibly have hoped for as practice on Monday had been very inconsistent.

As ever, if I could remove all the small errors from my races, I'd probably have the pace to do much better, but I guess that's true of many of us!

Would be nice to have more mid-field entrants for these races though - it's often easy to find yourself just hot lapping for the best part of an hour (although this race was the exception for me for once).

Just a random thought, but perhaps for next season, the races should be run every two weeks with a hot lapping competition using the same combo to precede the main event the week before.  I suspect that if more people did the practice events and there were fewer races, we'd maybe have more entrants and more finishers.
Paul Thurston
Former Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2010, 10:56:09 AM +0100 »

On the outlap, I saw Brendan's car take a big hit to the rear despite no-one else being near him - looked like someone had just shot his car with a shot gun!  Obviously lag induced and possibly only I saw it but was very weird!
I'd forgotten about that.

I herad a massive crunch to my right going up the hill if memory serves then saw brendan pull ahead with the bodywork all along both sides looking like someone had set to it with hammers.  The wheels were actually sticking out to the sides.

I wondered whether we'd touched somewhere but I thought I'd given him plenty of room and he seemed to be driving fine.

Very odd indeed.

Paul
Smiley
picnic
Director, Servers
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2010, 11:47:03 AM +0100 »

I was following Brendan when that happened. All I saw was a shower of sparks and heard the classic crashing sounds when he turned in to the right hander to go up the hill in to the infield section. No one was near him at the time and it reminded be of those lag bugs when cars bounce up and down, go on 2 wheels etc.

Paul Richards

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2010, 12:14:06 PM +0100 »

Tough race that one, so many kerbs that really upset the car and with the corners coming quick and fast it needed a lot of concentration for the 44 laps!

Bit more prepared this time than two weeks ago. Was able to spend an hour setting the car up. I am normally quite strong at VIR and know the track well so could concentrate purely on setup and pace. Managed a 1.19.6 in practice with a somewhat scrappy couple of corners so a sub 1.19.5 was possible with a solid lap. I hadn't driven for a few days and saw Gary was in the high 19s as well so it was going to be tough. Managed to pip him in practice just. Luckily qualifying went much better I managed a 1.19.8 quite early which helped. Gary would be challenging that though so I pushed on and did a couple of 19.7s. Eventually towards the end I finally put together an error free lap and managed a 1.19.4x and that got me pole.

Race set was the qual with some fuel. I had done a 10 lap run and it felt fine but was a bit worried about the rear tyres overheating. I didnt know whether to change tyres or not so decided to take it easy in the braking zones to avoid locking the fronts and see how it went. After a few laps myself and Gary pulled away a bit with Gary dropping back slightly. He then started to catch me so I pushed a bit harder and was able to start extending again. I had a bad lap which allowed him to close again but he was hovering at about 4 seconds back. At this point I decided to not change tyres as at that gap he was prime to jump me if he didnt and I did. The car felt good on low fuel when he pitted so decided to push on at that point to try and strech the gap out. I had started with quite a lot of fuel so went quite long and was hoping for a quick stop. I figured I would come out with a healthier lead and could then cruise to the finish looking after ther tyres. Luckily it worked out like that and I was 12 secs up on Gary after the stops. I took it very easy to start with and then pushed on a bit when I guessed the tyres were ok. I was expecting Gary to close but he hadn't changed either and was also taking it easy.

In the end it looked easier than it was. Gary was error free so I couldn't afford any mistakes at all especially in the first stint. Great drive mate and as always a big challenge to beat. Congrats also to Mike for his third and to Shark who without his pitstop troubles would have been up there as well. Well done to all that finished not easy on this tricky circuit.  
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 12:26:31 PM +0100 by Paul Richards » Logged
Fred Basset
Incident Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2010, 07:16:15 PM +0100 »

Well Paul has pretty much outlined my race, I knew with our relevent speeds that my only chance was a mistake from Paul or him taking tyres. I didn't expect the former and I wasn't banking on the latter but just in case I concentrated on keeping him just in range in case he did feel a need for four shiny new Dunlops.

One of the reasons I dropped time during the pitstop window was due to a poor entry, I braked far too early. Bottom line is though I wasn't fast enough on the night Sad

Then just raced to the flag Mike was always few seconds back but I could extend the gap out as it ebbed and flowed with back markers so I concentrated on just bringing it home for a nice second place behind Mr Richards. Well done Paul and Mike and Simon had a good race in there too.

I like VIR but I think we've had two tracks suitable for hotlapping now, not racing. I've never ever turned a wheel at Mid Ohio in any sim so having heard a number of people say its really good I'm looking forward to that.

Regards
Gary
Mike Wrightson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2010, 09:07:09 PM +0100 »

Mid Ohio is indeed brilliant Smiley

I took a tip from Paul T and ran a softer setup that would let me ride the kerbs a bit.  Its only downside was that it wasn't as good mid-turn, but I probably needed a bit more development time than I had.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 09:09:10 PM +0100 by Mike Wrightson » Logged

Team Shark!
Brendan

Team KC

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2010, 10:41:00 PM +0100 »

Aha, the perfect excuse for my pathetic showing last night! Smiley
Paul Thurston
Former Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2010, 07:57:51 PM +0100 »

Mid Ohio is indeed brilliant Smiley

I took a tip from Paul T and ran a softer setup that would let me ride the kerbs a bit.  Its only downside was that it wasn't as good mid-turn, but I probably needed a bit more development time than I had.
I should keep my big mouth shut. Wink
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: