Quarterly cost: �0

nonchalant-unilinear
March 28, 2024, 01:32:19 PM +0000 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
S4455GPP
S4455GPW
S4466CA
S4467F1P
S4467F1W
S4467F2A
S4467F2P
S44JSMT
Recent
S4455GPW Indianapolis …
S4455GPP Indianapolis …
S4466CA Road America (…
S4467F1W Imola (1953-7…
S4467F1P Imola (1953-7…
S4467F2A Ingliston
S4467F2P Ingliston
Forthcoming
S44JSMT Goodwood (Circ…
S44JSMT Boreham Airfie…

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Linked Events
  • S20N Castle Combe: November 23, 2010
November 23, 2010, 09:41:29 PM +0000 - Castle Combe (1950-98) - UKGPL Season 20 (2010-2011) Novices Trophy (65)
Driver
 Team
Nat. Make Model Class Qualifying Race
Tyres Pos Time/Gap Pos Time/Gap Laps Stops Best Retirement
reason
Ballast
Ross Neilson
 Clark-Hill Racing
Brabham BT11 (Climax) F1 1965 1 1:00.784
---
1 36:32.063
---
35 1:01.715
---
Goodyear  
miner2049er
 Clark-Hill Racing
Cooper T77 (Climax) F1 1965 5 +1.040
---
2 +27.852
---
35 1:02.334
---
Dunlop  
adamg67

Brabham BT11 (Climax) F1 1965 6 +1.306
---
3 +30.203
---
35 1:02.121
---
Goodyear  
maddog
 Antipasti Racing
Cooper T77 (Climax) F1 1965 8 +1.618
---
4 +33.555
---
35 1:02.454
---
Dunlop  
Ronniepeterson

Lotus 33 (Climax 1965) F1 1965 3 +0.744
---
5 +42.548
---
35 1:02.206
---
Dunlop  
Artiglietti

Lotus 33 (Climax 1965) F1 1965 2 +0.170
---
6 (+2) +45.477
---
35 1:01.115
---
Dunlop  
NHance
 Mountside Racing
Brabham BT11 (Climax) F1 1965 4 +0.784
---
7 +56.039
---
35 1:01.931
---
Goodyear  
roguk
 Clark-Hill Racing
Cooper T77 (Climax) F1 1965 7 +1.350
---
8 +1L
---
34 1:02.804
---
Dunlop  
norbert
 Antipasti Racing
Ferrari 512 F1 1965 10 +2.029
---
9 +16.541
---
34 1:02.567
---
Dunlop  
vosblod
 Clark-Hill Racing
Cooper T77 (Climax) F1 1965 12 +2.375
---
10 +25.004
---
34 1:03.150
---
Dunlop  
Nigel Smith
 HikiWazaRacing
Honda RA272 F1 1965 11 +2.065
---
11 +26.277
---
34 1:02.200
---
Goodyear  
il_lupo_mannaro

Ferrari 512 F1 1965 9 +1.821
---
12 +36.837
---
34 1:02.367
---
Dunlop  
Billy Nobrakes
 Black Night Racing
Brabham BT11 (Climax) F1 1965 13 +2.458
---
13 +48.099
---
34 1:02.823
---
Goodyear  
BadBlood
 HikiWazaRacing
Honda RA272 F1 1965 14 +4.601
---
14 +28L
---
7 1:06.650
---
Goodyear  
Artiglietti

Honda RA272 F1 1965 15 DNS ---
---
Goodyear  
adamg67

BRM P261 (1965) F1 1965 16 ---
---
Dunlop  
5 UKGPL.65

Ferrari 512 F1 1965 17 ---
---
Dunlop  

Moderator's Report

Castle Coombe has the shortest lap of the Novices season, and in fact of any Novice season to date so traffic was an issue in Qualifying while people jostled for a clear piece of track.

Usually the clear piece of track was the racing line at Quarry, a notoriously difficult section as we proved in fine style.

More of a power track than it first seemed, a large part of the short lap is spent on the throttle, and the rest of it is spent on the grass at Quarry.

Server replay time: 0h09m20s

BadBlood loses concentration and control in letting people lap him.
He spins and is stuck in the middle of the circuit but does the correct thing and sits there allowing approaching drivers to take avoiding action.

Apart from one, NHance who hits him.

• Racing incident

Server replay time: 0h12m35s

Norbert spins in Camp Corner (oooooooh) and Vosblod and NHance spin in sympathy.
Vosblod catches Norbert slightly but he had slowed drastically to try and avoid him.

• Racing incident

Server replay time: 0h17m40s

MHunt continually cut the last corner and on this occasion has all 4 wheels in the grass on the inside. Perhaps this is due to a slight loss of control but there are other examples of this corner cutting throughout the race, including one at 0h19m50s.
In fact MHunt did not complete 1 single lap of the race completely on the circuit according the the Race Report, and if Checkpoints were not disabled on the server he would have been black flagged.
This is covered in the Sporting Guidelines https://www.ukgpl.com/index.php/rules/sporting and future infringements will be penalised by the Moderators.

• Racing incident

Server replay time: 0h19m20s

Attilio passes Mike on the inside at Tower Corner.
Mike concedes the corner and stays wide but Attilio fails to keep a tight enough line and moves out into Mike, knocking him off the track.

Server replay time: 0h34m30s

Mike is lapping Billy and expects Billy to take T1 and then keep right but Billy lifts going into T1 and Mike takes avoiding action.
The Server shows no contact and Mike is past Billy before his car reacts and spins.

Warp incident.

• Racing incident

Server replay time: 0h37m05s

Attilio passes Ronnie in between Avon Rise and Quarry but leaves Ronnie nowhere to go.
It was clearly a last ditch attempt on the last lap but coming from so far back it had no chance of success and Attilio had no overlap at turn in.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: UKGPL Season 20 (2010-2011) Novices Trophy (65) - Castle Combe - Nov 23  (Read 7372 times)
miner2049er
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile WWW
« on: November 22, 2010, 06:48:04 PM +0000 »

UKGPL Season 20 Novices Trophy (1965 Mod) Race 4 November 23rd

Round 4 of the season and we're back on the same track as the Amateurs, using the first of 3 airfield circuits this season, and this time out it is Castle Combe.

Located in Wiltshire, England, the airfield was opened in 1941 and decommissioned in 1948 before being opened to racing in 1950.

It sadly became a noisy neighbour in 2005 when it was issued with a noise nuisance order, meaning that not all formulas could race there any longer.

Let's try to annoy the residents as much as we can, but let's do it with our engines rather than the sound of breaking glass and twisting metal.

You can download the track here:
http://srmz.net/index.php?showtopic=1071

Please see the Novices registration thread for an explanation of the chassis allocations shown below:
https://www.simracing.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=8416.0

FULL TIME
DRIVER  
 CHASSIS  
Vosblod
Cooper
NHance
BT11
Miner2049er
Cooper
Il_Lupo
Ferrari
Billy NoBrakes
BT11
HappyAL
Ferrari
Gilles27
BT11
Burtoner
Nigel Smith
Honda
Ronnie Peterson
Lotus
Blito
Ferrari
Mark65
Artiglietti
Lotus
BadBlood
Honda
RogUK
Cooper
Norbert
Ferrari
Maddog
Cooper

RESERVE
DRIVER  
 CHASSIS  
Karliss
Honda
Adamg67
BT11

Reserve drivers should not join the server until there are only 30 minutes of qualifying left so as to give the FULL TIME drivers chance to join, and drivers are not to go out on track until there are 30 minutes of qualifying left as this helps all drivers join the server successfully.

Please restrict chat to pit messages if necessary, and this includes the end of the race, until all running drivers have completed the necessary laps.

The Novice races are run under Int Long rules and all incidents will be moderated.

Race List = IGOR
Server = UKGPL5
IP address = ping myjamesonline.net
Race date = 23-11-2010
Time = 21:00 UK time
Track = Castle Combe (ccombe)
Variant = 65F1
Damage Model = Int
Qualifying time = 35 minutes
Race length = 35 laps
Password: see above

65 Patch: The 2.02 Release of the 65mod can and should be used.
http://bit.ly/d8dECl

Password: see above

Driver lists can be found on the championship standings page
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 07:23:45 PM +0000 by miner2049er » Logged

miner2049er
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 07:24:38 PM +0000 »

Please note the amended race distance above.

The race will be 35 laps and not 30 laps as stated in the Registration thread.

Ross Neilson
UKGPL Divisional Moderator
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 11:20:25 PM +0000 »

I expected to qualify on the front row here but was surprised to get pole, although I suspect a tow (from AA ironically) helped me a bit.

Got off the line badly and AA led into T1 but I got back past on the exit and tried to build a lead. I knew AA was quicker so was pushing hard, too hard at one point as I spun at Quarry. As I began to recover I realised AA had done exactly the same! After that I tried to preserve my 4sec lead which soon increased as AA made a few more errors. In the end it was a cruise to the flag although I did spin at the very last corner...

I think this race showed the value of being in the lead - it puts pressure on the chasing pack who can then make mistakes. I wasn't the quickest car out there but avoided any more mistakes.

Thanks to those being lapped, everyone was exemplary. Well done to the podium finishers too. See you all at Spa.

Racing as Ross Neilson 65/66/69 for Clark-Hill Racing
vosblod
Former UKGPL Moderators

can divide by zero

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 11:35:33 PM +0000 »

WD Ross, Mike (see you've brushed off those cobwebs  Wink) and new guy Adam.

Taking my first look at the track at 7.30pm on race day contributed to my slug-like performance. That said I didn't finish last.
Great start and got by a few, then just kept my head down and tried not to spin. All those I battled, and there were a few, were extremely fair. I wasn't going to make it easy but I seemed to be extra snailish on the last corner so lost out on the straight. Anyway just when I was thinking at least I haven't had a spin I took a few spins.
All in all great fun as had quite a few battles. Think I'm missing Spa (no great shakes for the Coop) but will be back.
BadBlood
Former UKGPL Moderators

Sassafrassarassum Rick Rastardly!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 12:07:19 AM +0000 »

Well, that looked to be a cracking race - I bailed after I span at Quarry and went last again - didn't want to ruin anyones race and it was hard to see them coming whilst looking for braking points - not much respite round here.

Watched it on GPL.tv and there were several battles royale. Hats off to Ross though, very smooth. Looked like good clean fun for everyone.

Thanks to one mad doggie for giving me a setup that was LOADS easier to drive lol

I thought that the rear roll bar was meant to be STIFFER if it was heavy - not right! Took two seconds off my previous best with more to come but still way off the pace but the extra confidence should help in races to come. Got to miss Spa but already looking forward to Imola.

Well done to all involved.

BadBlood

aka

Angel Moose angel
GPLRank +71.5ish Smiley
GPL65Rank +71.1ish Smiley
Other ranks? Middlin' Slowish Wink
Hristo Itchov

There is no limit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 12:23:56 AM +0000 »

I thought that the rear roll bar was meant to be STIFFER if it was heavy - not right! Took two seconds off my previous best with more to come but still way off the pace but the extra confidence should help in races to come. Got to miss Spa but already looking forward to Imola.

It could be that with a softer car you find it easier to exploit the limits because the car is not as nervous and it's more forgiving. Worth a try in future races until you get more comfortable with your driving.

BadBlood
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 08:18:13 AM +0000 »

Thanks H. It was certainly more stable under braking and I could get on the power more easily. The times I span was when I forgot to steer for the corner (literally). I was concentrating so hard on the road ahead, the braking point, mirrors etc I forgot to steer it enough!

I'm learning though.

BadBlood

aka

Angel Moose angel
GPLRank +71.5ish Smiley
adamg67

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010, 10:51:44 AM +0000 »

Well, that's got me hooked on online racing again. I really enjoyed it, despite nerves and some stuttering of the graphics (which other people had as well apparently, so I'm not too worried). I was half a second off my PB in qual but happy with 6th, got a flying start, but couldn't see a way through so backed off, a bit too much as it happens and I lost a few places instead. At the end of lap 1 I was 9th.

For the rest of the race I just tried to keep it consistent, and it worked out well, with few mistakes and no offs. I had two great battles with Coopers, both very fair which mattered as it's not an easy track to overtake at, and finished 3rd. I'm happy with that, my plan was to have a clean race, try and keep the pace up and hopefully have some fair fights and it seemed to work.

I should be around for Spa, looking forward to it!
adamg67

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2010, 10:55:24 AM +0000 »

Thanks to one mad doggie for giving me a setup that was LOADS easier to drive lol

The softest end has the most relative grip, for a first stab race setup for the 65 brab I've done the springs proportional to the weight and then roll bars 80 rear 120 front, and that gave me a really driveable car. I'm not fond of "pointy" cars for GPL anyway, you can give the front more grip into corners by keeping the weight on the front with the brakes and then the right diff dials out any understeer on exit. You maybe lose a tiny bit in the middle of some corners, but it's worth it for the extra confidence.

IIRC Greger used to drive a car that was fairly soft at the back, not a pointy "hotlap special"
BadBlood
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2010, 11:47:50 AM +0000 »

Thanks for that. I was advised to give it loads of revs and change gear as the flag dropped because I was always getting left using a button clutch. So... I tried it and... whooooaaa nearly span it and shot off the line which was a bit of a shock. Got past a few cars and was so shocked at going past a Fezza into Quarry I forgot to steer enough for the corner and went off. lol.

Had Ronnie behind me at the end of the first lap and I was looking out for him as I took him out at Mosport so I took a wide line coming into the pit straight to let him past and.... he wasn't there! I am hoping I didn't knock him off (I haven't seen the replay yet) but I held a few people up for a few laps so I felt like I had a moral victory or two.

When I resumed my natural and pre-ordained place after spinning at Quarry (again) I decided to bail out and watch rather than spoil other people's races. My decision was made easier by my ten year old twin daughters having a noisy dispute which HAD to be settled there and then Cheesy. The other factor was that my wife had banished me to the bedroom and balancing the laptop on a table propped up on towels whilst sitting on the bed is not great. My back was killing me reaching down for the steering wheel lol.

It might be sharp up front but it is much more nerve wracking at the back! Having all the mental strength of a goldfish my main thought is 'Don't f*@k it up'. Closely followed by 'Ok - you f*@ked up. Don't do it again'. And repeat.

BadBlood

aka

Angel Moose angel
GPLRank +71.5ish Smiley
FullMetalGasket
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2010, 12:05:31 PM +0000 »

Gilles may not find it quite as easy when someone's breathing down his back  Grin

He's right about leading be easier if there's a gap though - unless Hristo's behind you somewhere and rapidly catching that is  laugh

For people with frame rate troubles check either the Am's race thread or BB's help thread and try the fix I linked to. It's only for Combe but may have been your issue - Sorry about forgetting to post it in here aswell  Embarrassed
maddog

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2010, 01:00:02 PM +0000 »

By all rights, this track should be easy to get right.  The right setup, and the right racing line, should prevent the disappointment of getting left, unless being caused by an attack of dizziness!

I had the strangest of setups, and realized the track wasn't as straightforward as one would think.  My rightful expectation, was to become mired in midfield, or else to, 'Come a cropper,' in the infield crops!  It's easy to get lost in there!   So I actually tamed my unconventional setup by 21/4 Iotas, in the hope of a constant, and reassuring view of the track. Cool

Starting from midfield, it was quickly obvious the race would be a hard fought one, as things remained close.  I was soon embroiled in a bit of a 'Ding Dong,' battle with Norm, until he suffered a touch of, "Hells Bells!" as he ran into a problem with a backmarker.  This left me some breathing space, and fourth in the scheme of things.  There was but one obvious problem - my mirrors were plagued by a growing blob, and my pitboard had writted on it, an unfamiliar name.  After a few laps, a blasted Brabham was hounding my tail, and before long, it blasted past!  I was goggle eyed at this newcomer, and did my best to nip at his heels, but despite this, he managed to slowly shuffle off.  And as the tyres turned, that's how my race ended.

Of course one wonders, after a close fought race like that, if a slightly more aggressive setup, would have gained an extra place or two, or if it would've meant checking a field of corn, for ripeness!  It shall remain, one of the mysteries of life, but in the end I did alright. angel   
Hristo Itchov

There is no limit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2010, 01:23:58 PM +0000 »

IIRC Greger used to drive a car that was fairly soft at the back, not a pointy "hotlap special"

Yes, his 67 Lotus setups were quite soft at the rear and I liked that as well, but it's different for each car really. Especially for 65s which are quite underpowered, you don't need all that grip at the rear unless you're still uncomfortable with driving them in general.

BadBlood
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2010, 02:01:59 PM +0000 »

...unless you're still uncomfortable with driving them in general.

who might that be? laugh

BadBlood

aka

Angel Moose angel
GPLRank +71.5ish Smiley
NHance

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2010, 05:51:19 PM +0000 »

Its a wonder Mountside made this race as in the pre qually Monday 2 races Clutch blew 1 engine(a rare event) & I blew 3(as usual). When Ross did his 1.01.48 qually I went out again determined to beat it - who am I kidding as he & AA went completely off the radar Shocked. Thought I was safe for 3rd on the grid so sat in the pits, but then right at the end that went as well. Oh dear!
My download of the replay stops after a few laps with an error message so I'm doing this from memory. Had a good race with Maddog followed by one with Vos I think, then a long chase & race with Rog. The race was clean & I passed him on the last bend, eventually, but think I may have "carved him up" accidentally by not giving room as we entered Quarry as he was suddenly very large in the mirrors & I think he had to make avoiding action as he was 3 secs down on the next straight. Not an illegal move but not in the spirit of the race. If this is so,(no replay to be certain) very sorry Rog, definitely unintentional Embarrassed.
Well done Ross & the podium finishers. Thanks to Clutch for the gearing as I changed after the Monday debacle although it meant a bit of re learning. Still learning it in qually actually. Comiserations to Clutch also as he was not happy about only managing 3 laps in Ams.

Norm H 
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com