The Spirit of British SimRacing   

Read this first!    

nonchalant-unilinear
April 23, 2024, 06:55:46 PM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: How About a GT race.............a long GT race  (Read 6731 times)
john roberts
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2010, 02:43:33 PM +0000 »

It is probably caused by not having a decent setup but the best way that I can describe driving these cars is as unpleasant.
here is what i said before about the gt default setups ...

"they were made for normal drivers and to make them safe .

they were made to have a good balance with a very safe diff so most gpl drivers would be able to keep these heavy cars on track , they were not made for aliens or for people at the pointy end of the grid .

it is expected that those know who how to change setups will put in their normal diff , steer ratio , toe and camber while playing with the defaults .

after that it is also expected that they change bars (and wheelrates) to suit their style of driving in that order .

theses setups where made to give people some "ball park" numbers which they could change within their understanding before other setups become available . "

or to make it more simple ... if you like a oversteering car stiffen up the rear bar , do it in steps of 10lbs until you get the handling you like .

the GT cars will never handle like like f1 cars because they weigh so much more , however if you are having problem getting a understanding of the car it might be best to start with the 910 (it has been said it is like a turbo charged 65 car) and after that go m1 , gt40 mk1 , lola , gt40 mk2 .

it would be best not to start with the chapps or the gt40 mkIV .

also imho you don't have to redline the engine as they have so much torque and you may find that you the rear wheels break away and you spin while close to the redline .

john
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2010, 02:47:20 PM +0000 »

Initial thought about 3 car teams, with the intention of trying to spread the reliabilty factor as evenly as possible ( not so easy without some reliable data!!) and to offer each team a Porsche that is the easiest/ most reliable car to drive and perhaps would suit the "less experienced" member of each team. So that they can then dice with others an a level playing field and maybe rise to the top if others in faster but more fragile cars drop out.

I would hope that all teams ( and therefore all of the cars) would be represented and that everyone would race in a "gentlemanly fashion" because there will be no moderating, and it is gonna be a loooong race if it happens.

Team A   Ferrari 330P / GT40 MK2B / Porsche

Team B   Chap 2F / GT40 MK1 / Porsche

Team C   GT40 MK4 / Chap 2D / Porsche

Team D   Lola / Mirage / Porsche

That gives us 12 cars with the option for doubling up on two teams for a total grid of 18 cars, if there is enough interest.

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @    evilclive67
Rank   Only when I sweat
Clive Loynes

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2010, 10:39:10 AM +0000 »

It is probably caused by not having a decent setup but the best way that I can describe driving these cars is as unpleasant.
here is what i said before about the gt default setups ...

"they were made for normal drivers and to make them safe .

they were made to have a good balance with a very safe diff so most gpl drivers would be able to keep these heavy cars on track , they were not made for aliens or for people at the pointy end of the grid .

it is expected that those know who how to change setups will put in their normal diff , steer ratio , toe and camber while playing with the defaults .

after that it is also expected that they change bars (and wheelrates) to suit their style of driving in that order .

theses setups where made to give people some "ball park" numbers which they could change within their understanding before other setups become available . "

or to make it more simple ... if you like a oversteering car stiffen up the rear bar , do it in steps of 10lbs until you get the handling you like .

the GT cars will never handle like like f1 cars because they weigh so much more , however if you are having problem getting a understanding of the car it might be best to start with the 910 (it has been said it is like a turbo charged 65 car) and after that go m1 , gt40 mk1 , lola , gt40 mk2 .

it would be best not to start with the chapps or the gt40 mkIV .

also imho you don't have to redline the engine as they have so much torque and you may find that you the rear wheels break away and you spin while close to the redline .

john

Already done all that John.

I'll just have to wait until there is something "off the peg".  I do it for fun, which for me means more of an arrive-and-drive approach.  For this week, by the time that I have sorted a Cobra 289 for Portimao, an E-Type Jag for Portimao, a Vette L88 for Brands and a Vette z06 for Oulton, I have very little time to faff with anything else.

Has anyone posted any setups anywhere yet?

And what's with the brakes? 

SBRC  UKPnG Season 6, 7 & 8 Champions (Missed Season 9 by a gnat's nadger!)
maddog

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2010, 11:20:42 AM +0000 »

Gentlemen, I have some bad news!  It seems that GPL is programmed, to allow a maximum of 128 laps of racing.  This may dash any attempts at holding a long race, as I'm informed, there is no easy fix.  Still, on a longer track, this would at least allow for acclimatisation to ones environment.  But at Le Mans for example, there'd be a maximum duration of around 7hrs 30. Sad (

Hristo Itchov

There is no limit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2010, 12:08:17 PM +0000 »

Gentlemen, I have some bad news!  It seems that GPL is programmed, to allow a maximum of 128 laps of racing.  This may dash any attempts at holding a long race, as I'm informed, there is no easy fix.  Still, on a longer track, this would at least allow for acclimatisation to ones environment.  But at Le Mans for example, there'd be a maximum duration of around 7hrs 30. Sad (

How about 128 laps at Targa...  Roll Eyes

maddog

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2010, 12:12:43 PM +0000 »

Which week did you have in mind? Grin
Turkey Machine
UKGPL Assistant Divisional Moderator

Elitist psychopath with AS.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2010, 09:31:32 PM +0000 »

There are ways of getting around that..........

And those complaining about 2 hour races have nothing on those doing 4, 6, 8, 10 or 12 hour GTP races. Nucking futs!

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10. Why the hell do I keep crashing then?!
vosblod
Former UKGPL Moderators

can divide by zero

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2010, 10:53:33 PM +0000 »

Apart from 2 hours might be my limit what ways Jethro?
Hristo Itchov

There is no limit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2010, 01:18:07 AM +0000 »

If people insist on long races, fine, but I'll pass. I don't find it enjoyable to drive alone on my own (because that's what would most likely happen to the majority of drivers in such a race) for hours. If I wanted that I could do it offline. This is especially true if you consider the vast differences in speed between some of the cars and unless you run a spec race, with drivers of equal ability, you can't really call it a race...

BadBlood
Former UKGPL Moderators

Sassafrassarassum Rick Rastardly!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2010, 08:12:22 AM +0000 »

...I don't find it enjoyable to drive alone on my own (because that's what would most likely happen to the majority of drivers in such a race) for hours.

You ought to be more philosophical H - this is my experience of every race with the exception of the first lap Cheesy

BadBlood

aka

Angel Moose angel
GPLRank +71.5ish Smiley
GPL65Rank +71.1ish Smiley
Other ranks? Middlin' Slowish Wink
maddog

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2010, 10:44:55 AM +0000 »

Ok Hristo, let's call it off.  And there are some tracks, where even 2 hours would seem like a chore.  So my enthusiasm is very much dependent upon location.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 10:58:57 AM +0000 by maddog » Logged
Hristo Itchov

There is no limit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2010, 02:22:57 PM +0000 »

...I don't find it enjoyable to drive alone on my own (because that's what would most likely happen to the majority of drivers in such a race) for hours.

You ought to be more philosophical H - this is my experience of every race with the exception of the first lap Cheesy

But you have other priorities than racing other people, so it doesn't count. I've done my GPL "school" years long ago, so I just want some close racing, that's all. It doesn't matter though, if people want to do it then go ahead, was just sharing my opinion.

BadBlood
Former UKGPL Moderators

Sassafrassarassum Rick Rastardly!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2010, 07:55:39 PM +0000 »

I was only kidding you H. I am not sure that I want to do even 2 hours trolling round on my own!

The occasional race is nice - even for a pedestrian like me Smiley

BadBlood

aka

Angel Moose angel
GPLRank +71.5ish Smiley
GPL65Rank +71.1ish Smiley
Other ranks? Middlin' Slowish Wink
Hristo Itchov

There is no limit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2010, 08:04:10 PM +0000 »

I was only kidding you H. I am not sure that I want to do even 2 hours trolling round on my own!

The occasional race is nice - even for a pedestrian like me Smiley

Consider it a 2 hours training session, Paul. You need a lot of those at the moment anyway.  Tongue

Some people think it's just about talent, but I think talent plays the smallest role in it. If I sum up all the practice I did in my 15 or so years of simracing, it's scary.

Just for example, there was an addon tool for GP2 (microprose sim) which would count and sum up all the time you spent inside the sim and show it to you every time you quit the game. There was a period of 11-12 months when it turned out I had spent almost 2 months of that time inside the sim.  Shocked

Talk about being obsessed, lol...

It's similar with GPL, in my early GPL days I would spend 1/3rd of the day just driving or whenever I had spare time, but it's definitely worth it in the end as all that counts towards improving your understanding and abilities, not only in one sim but overall as a simracer.

Of course there are some rare exceptions where talent makes up for anything else, but I'm not such a case and I know very few people who are. Probably 1 in 10000 or so. People who would enter a new sim (or mod) and just dominate from the let go, because they just have this natural knowledge what is the right thing to do and they're able to do it without effort. Greger Huttu springs to mind. I'm sure he still practices his ass off though, just to keep an edge on others of similar talent as his.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 08:08:21 PM +0000 by Hristo Itchov » Logged

Turkey Machine
UKGPL Assistant Divisional Moderator

Elitist psychopath with AS.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2010, 10:05:04 PM +0000 »

Apart from 2 hours might be my limit what ways Jethro?

Certainly with GTP and NR2003 you could forcibly crash the game and still keep your entry, thus not losing out.

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10. Why the hell do I keep crashing then?!
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com