by SimRacing.org.uk  

Read this first!    

nonchalant-unilinear
April 29, 2024, 11:22:17 AM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Tuesdays  (Read 5849 times)
Fred Basset
Incident Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2010, 11:07:13 AM +0000 »

This may be an unpopular view, but I feel we are worrying too much about upsetting the 50/50 guys when we should be worrying about keeping the guys who turn up for every race, no matter what.

Pick a format/car that 'core guys' want and then if the 50/50 guys want to join us, then that's a bonus...

A 60min Dallara Series (no roundy roundys) would get my vote too.  You owe me Simon. Wink

Darren that is my view entirely we have a core set of racers and they should be catered for not the ones who race a couple of times and then ask for another car.

As for the setups is it possible to host a fixed setup race for the Dallara?

Regards
Gary
Simon Gymer
Former Moderators

Cool Bite

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2010, 11:14:43 AM +0000 »

There aren't enough fixed setups to do a fixed setup tbh, but I'm happy to share any of the Dallara setups I have for everyone.

Intel I7-4790K @ 4.0Ghz
MSI NVidia 2080 Ti Gaming X TRIO
16GB DDR3 2400Mhz
3x 1920x1080 27" monitors
Thrustmaster T300GTE Wheel + T3PA Pro Pedals
mr_oily
Former Moderators

www.steelsnaps.co.uk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2010, 11:32:00 AM +0000 »

How's the Dallara since the tyre model update Simon? Haven't driven it since it's last SROU outing but always liked it when we did.

Must schedule it for a ACHF soon actually Smiley
spanner
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Team Prodigy - UKGTR/UKAC

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2010, 11:39:16 AM +0000 »

I thing i've noticed is the insular nature it has become as a whole. It would be nice if people shared their setups occasionally.

Dallara doesnt have any fixed setups then? shame.

Learn to love the Pork Smiley

Team Prodigy - Just like Team Oldie only younger, faster, less grey hair and kinder to the environment!
mr_oily
Former Moderators

www.steelsnaps.co.uk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2010, 11:43:13 AM +0000 »

Think that's just the nature of championships in the latter stages mate, people are usually free with them on Fridays.

The fixed setup thing is something the Williams has going for it, that and the fact it's a little less knife edge - particularly over 60 mins!  eek
Simon Gymer
Former Moderators

Cool Bite

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2010, 11:43:49 AM +0000 »

I haven't really driven it very much for a while, just a quick outing recently in an off-line test, it seemed stable enough for me in the most recent build, but I had just driven the F1 car if I remember correctly. Not that the F1 car is unstable, quite the opposite, but it's the time you get which really sets apart the F1 car as you get half as much time to react or brake or accelerate or turn in it than you do even in the IndyCar, which now feels like life positively in the slow lane in comparison.

For me it's pitched at just the right level. You do have time to drive it, but not too much time, it has a nice level of grip, nice amount of braking, nice amount of power. It doesn't require the utter total concentration you need to drive the F1 car.

I have to say that I hadn't driven the DP for ages until this weekend and that seemed much tamer than it used to too. The Vette is definately easier to drive too. So I guess whatever they've done with the tyres on all the cars has made them easier to drive (which is a good thing). So the IndyCar is probably the same too. I would need to spend more time with it to verify though.

Intel I7-4790K @ 4.0Ghz
MSI NVidia 2080 Ti Gaming X TRIO
16GB DDR3 2400Mhz
3x 1920x1080 27" monitors
Thrustmaster T300GTE Wheel + T3PA Pro Pedals
mr_oily
Former Moderators

www.steelsnaps.co.uk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2010, 11:47:46 AM +0000 »

Nice - that's encouraging as I felt the Williams was easier to catch from memory.

I'll run it next Friday - feel free to PM me a track choice Simon, preferably one we haven't done in the last few weeks if possible.

Adam Parle
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2010, 12:31:16 PM +0000 »

Nice - that's encouraging as I felt the Williams was easier to catch from memory.

I'll run it next Friday - feel free to PM me a track choice Simon, preferably one we haven't done in the last few weeks if possible.

How about Watkins Glen? Cheesy
mr_oily
Former Moderators

www.steelsnaps.co.uk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2010, 12:35:32 PM +0000 »

Oooh I don't know, I'll need to put in some familiarisation laps  Grin
Brendan

Team KC

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2010, 12:50:38 PM +0000 »

Sundays, Tuesday's, Friday's.....

It's all a bit much for me, guys.  Sad With family commitments, the most time I can conjure up for racing is two nights max, which worked great for me with the Tuesday events as Monday and Tuesday nights are generally quiet.  I've provisionally withdrawn my sign-up from the enduro thread until I've seen where this one is heading as initial signs are encouraging.

FWIW, multi-class (3 cars?), upto one hour, with pitstops sounds great.  Perhaps as a way of levelling out the field, drivers should be expected to drive all cars at least 2 or 3 times (depending on season length), thus  shaking up the racing somewhat and giving those who may drop out halfway through a season, something to look forward to.
Darren Seal
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2010, 01:06:28 PM +0000 »

James - If you think the F1 is easier to drive than the Dallara you aren't going fast enough.  Wink

It's all about reaction times! The F1 is just scary...  You don't know you've crossed the limit until it's too late.  Shocked  At least with the Dallara you have a bit more time to react.

Regarding setups...  The likes of Mr Kerr and Mr Richards will always be top 5.  Forcing them to share their set ups is NOT going to help the rest of us.  Loose equals fast, and only they have the skills to get the most out of such set ups.

Unfortunately there is no instant fix/set up that will turn a slow driver into a fast one.  For people to improve they need practise. They need to learn to adapt the balance of the car to suit their own driving style, not try to change their driving style to suit the setup of a faster driver.

If anyone needs help to set up a car, just ask...  There are plenty of knowledgeable people here that can help.
mr_oily
Former Moderators

www.steelsnaps.co.uk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2010, 01:11:21 PM +0000 »

If you think the F1 is easier to drive than the Dallara you aren't going fast enough.  Wink

Very possible! Will jump in it again this evening rather that speculating!

If anyone needs help to set up a car, just ask...  There are plenty of knowledgeable people here that can help.

That's a really good point Darren - more chat in the pre-race thread would be a big help, I also sometimes forget I could just ask. If everyone could supply me with Motec logs prior to each event that would be a help too. Step too far? Smiley
Darren Seal
« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2010, 01:17:29 PM +0000 »

FWIW, multi-class (3 cars?), upto one hour, with pitstops sounds great.  Perhaps as a way of levelling out the field, drivers should be expected to drive all cars at least 2 or 3 times (depending on season length), thus  shaking up the racing somewhat and giving those who may drop out halfway through a season, something to look forward to.

In theory a 3 car single-class series sounds great.  But one thing SRouk has always struggled with is balancing performance.  As others have mentioned above the performance characteristics of each car is wildly different.  It will not provide close racing.  It will lead to frustration and risky attempts of overtaking.
Darren Seal
« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2010, 01:19:22 PM +0000 »

If everyone could supply me with Motec logs prior to each event that would be a help too. Step too far? Smiley

Motec? I want nothing to do with that black magic stuff..   Next you'll be asking for macros to be posted.  Wink
Paul Thurston
Former Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2010, 01:28:48 PM +0000 »

In theory a 3 car single-class series sounds great.  But one thing SRouk has always struggled with is balancing performance.  As others have mentioned above the performance characteristics of each car is wildly different.  It will not provide close racing.  It will lead to frustration and risky attempts of overtaking.
I think you're overstressing the importance of equalising the cars.  There are always going to be people a couple of seconds a lap down even with one car and they can have good races among other people of their relative pace.  I've had some great races battling for 7th.  It also gives a way of handicapping the aliens so the rest of us can compete.

Anyway it's not difficult to have separate class championships in addition to the overall one.  I really don't see it's that big a deal.

Paul
Smiley
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: