by SimRacing.org.uk  

Read this first!    

nonchalant-unilinear
April 29, 2024, 03:32:13 PM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Tuesdays  (Read 5851 times)
Fred Basset
Incident Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2010, 01:29:14 PM +0000 »

If everyone could supply me with Motec logs prior to each event that would be a help too. Step too far? Smiley

Motec? I want nothing to do with that black magic stuff..   Next you'll be asking for macros to be posted.  Wink

People are quite welcome to any of my 2000 lines of macro code, however not one line will make you faster!

My view on setups is this, I'm not going to share them generally but if someone asks me directly I'm quite happy to share. However I do think people spend far too much time messing around with them. I only used 3 setups for all 7 races I contested in the Radical this season.

MoTec traces I'm happy to share, in fact I'm just thinking about setting up a shared area on my home server where people can get them.

The idea behind fixed setups for the dallara was to even out the time spent on preparing for a race. I do agree the likes of Pauls H & R and Brian will generally be ahead whatever.

Regards
Gary
Darren Seal
« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2010, 01:56:45 PM +0000 »

I think you're overstressing the importance of equalising the cars.  There are always going to be people a couple of seconds a lap down even with one car and they can have good races among other people of their relative pace.  I've had some great races battling for 7th.

Sorry but I strongly disagree...  For a single-class multi make series to work well you need cars of similar performance.  The DP, Vette and Radical are too different.  Being stuck behind a car that is way slower through the corners, only for it then to pull out a 3 second gap down the straight is not my idea of fun.  The number of drivers available on Tuesdays will never be high.  Throwing 3 cars into the mix is just going to dilute the number of drivers you can realistically race with.     

It also gives a way of handicapping the aliens so the rest of us can compete.

Trust me you don't want to go down that route.  The aliens will get upset and go elsewhere...

Darren Seal
« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2010, 01:58:30 PM +0000 »

Gary, I thought you might reply to my comment..  It was said with tongue firmly pressed in cheek.  angel

Don't be so defensive.  Grin
Paul Thurston
Former Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2010, 02:17:30 PM +0000 »

Sorry but I strongly disagree...  For a single-class multi make series to work well you need cars of similar performance.  The DP, Vette and Radical are too different.  Being stuck behind a car that is way slower through the corners, only for it then to pull out a 3 second gap down the straight is not my idea of fun.  The number of drivers available on Tuesdays will never be high.  Throwing 3 cars into the mix is just going to dilute the number of drivers you can realistically race with.     
Were there one car everyone likes then fine.  Anyway as I said, multiple class championships is hardly rocket science.

Trust me you don't want to go down that route.  The aliens will get upset and go elsewhere...
My experience is that they sometimes relish the challenge and I was suggesting it be voluntary.

We're not racing for World Championships here remember, it's a fun league with a competitive element.  Otherwise if Paul Richards turns up after having practised the rest of us might as well just disconnect.

We currently have two series running concurrently, one more accessible and the other more hard core.  What we use for each is the question.

I've put forward the idea of a multi car series with pitstop handicapping, Adam's suggested a Legends sprint series on shorter tracks and Simon wants an Indy road racing series.  In addition there are the options of keeping the current Mazda and/or Radical series but possibly with more popular tracks and maybe a reset.

Have I missed anything there?

Paul
Smiley
Blunder
iRacing Indycar Host
Incident Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2010, 02:23:29 PM +0000 »

Polite point... I missed 3 races this season, 2 as they were in August and I was on holiday and 1 because I was ill... does that mean my opinion counts less than someone who turned up for all of them... of course not!
All opinions are equal!  Grin

I'd rather be iRacing Ovals.... Smiley     iRacing id= Martin Mason
Darren Seal
« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2010, 02:37:46 PM +0000 »

Anyway as I said, multiple class championships is hardly rocket science.
No, but trying to get 30+ drivers on a Tuesday to make a 3 class series work is almost impossible.  Roll Eyes

My experience is that they sometimes relish the challenge and I was suggesting it be voluntary.
Check out the old GTR2 threads.  You will see how messy it became when we tried voluntary personal ballast.  Shocking I know, but some drivers just like to win. Shocked

We're not racing for World Championships here remember, it's a fun league with a competitive element.
I find it amusing that you are suggesting I'm overly competitive.  But in my defence we already have one fun series.  Do we need another one?

We currently have two series running concurrently, one more accessible and the other more hard core.  What we use for each is the question.
We have a Fun Series and an Endurance Series. The only thing we are missing is a Sprint series... I understand it is you that will have to organise this (which I appreciate), so it's your call...
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 02:44:49 PM +0000 by Darren Seal » Logged
Paul Thurston
Former Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2010, 02:40:54 PM +0000 »

Polite point... I missed 3 races this season, 2 as they were in August and I was on holiday and 1 because I was ill... does that mean my opinion counts less than someone who turned up for all of them... of course not!
All opinions are equal!  Grin
Absolutely.  But I'd personally be far more inclined to listen to someone like you who turns up week after week and has done for many seasons than someone else who fights to drive a particular car then loses interest after three races and campaigns for a different car/format/track list next season.

I've not driven the same car for two successive seasons yet.  I'm spending my whole life learning different bloody cars.
Blunder
iRacing Indycar Host
Incident Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2010, 02:42:23 PM +0000 »

I've not driven the same car for two successive seasons yet.  I'm spending my whole life learning different bloody cars.

But your annoyingly good at it buddy !  Wink

I'd rather be iRacing Ovals.... Smiley     iRacing id= Martin Mason
Darren Seal
« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2010, 02:58:57 PM +0000 »

Sorry to disappoint you Martin but missing only 4 out of 18 races does not qualify you as a '50/50' guy. Wink
Paul Thurston
Former Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 09, 2010, 02:59:37 PM +0000 »

But your annoyingly good at it buddy !  Wink
When I start finishing races I might begin to believe you.  Ask Mike. Wink
Paul Thurston
Former Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 09, 2010, 03:10:14 PM +0000 »

OK, how about this as a basis for discussion?

Two series running on alternate Tuesdays.  One is a 40 minute sprint series with no mandatory pitstops, the other an hour with at least one stop.

Both series would allow one reset.  I think we lost a lot of finishers for the want of that this season.

Car options:

Radical
DP
Legends
IRL
Mazda
Skippy

Tracks selected from the more popular combinations so people don't have to learn them.

The sprint series would be a single car.  The 1 hour races will be either 1 car or multi-class, possibly with handicapping.

Fairly vague to start with but how does that sound as a starting point?

Paul
Smiley
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 03:11:46 PM +0000 by Paul Thurston » Logged
Fred Basset
Incident Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 09, 2010, 05:34:59 PM +0000 »

Gary, I thought you might reply to my comment..  It was said with tongue firmly pressed in cheek.  angel

Don't be so defensive.  Grin

Hehe, so was my replay about the macros Darren, although I do think the one that turns the air con on when I get too hot in the race room is perhaps bordering on an unfair advantage Grin

My response about setups and traces was genuine, perfectly happy to share if people ask. The Mu/MoTeC implementation is brilliant and late on Sunday I found a big issue with my brake calibration by looking through my MoTec traces. This found me considerable time under braking. People really should take a look at this tool.

Regards
Gary
Fred Basset
Incident Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 09, 2010, 05:36:56 PM +0000 »

I think they already have I'm afraid. Sad
Paul Thurston
Former Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 11, 2010, 09:12:44 AM +0000 »

OK, as no-one else has I'd like to propose a format to replace the current Mazda/Radical races.

Two new series starting in the New Year, on alternate Tuesdays.

Seven race season using tracks that have proved popular in previous series, synchronised with the previous week's official series where appropriate to allow extra practice time.

Series One:

40 minute races.
Dallara Indy Car.
No mandatory pitstops.
Races held on the Tuesday after each Sunday endurance race.
Practice session the day before.
One reset allowed.

Series Two:

One hour races.
Radical SR8 and Riley Mk XX Daytona Prototype.
Free car choice for each race.
One mandatory pitstop.
Races held on the Tuesday before each Sunday endurance race.
Practice session the day before.
One reset allowed.
One overall championship plus a class championship for each chassis.

I don't mind organising the two series but I won't be able to start the sessions as I'll be on the train home from work so I'll need some help there.

I'll look through the stats for previous seasons and work out a track list.

Who's interested?

Paul
Smiley
Simon Gymer
Former Moderators

Cool Bite

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: December 11, 2010, 10:12:32 AM +0000 »

Series One:
Dallara Indy Car.

drool Smiley

Intel I7-4790K @ 4.0Ghz