by SimRacing.org.uk  

Read this first!    

nonchalant-unilinear
April 29, 2024, 09:26:27 AM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Racing School - Indycar  (Read 974 times)
spanner
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Team Prodigy - UKGTR/UKAC

View Profile
« on: December 24, 2010, 12:40:07 PM +0000 »

I'm now a full time simracer so will be putting in alot of laps for these.

In a similair vein to Martins thread i'm in need of some help with the indycar or more specifically how i should drive it. I've never found the softly damped setups of old easy and have found the medium speed road course default setup really nice. But i'd like to allow it turn in better however that might be the dampers not allowing the direction change.

However i feel my approach might be wrong as i will end up losing the rear acclerating through a corner. My approach i.e turn 2,rather than my old GTR2 way of braking into the corner then accelerating out  is to brake early, turn in off power then try and get on the throttle through the corner. But i'm clearly upsetting the car too much.

Learn to love the Pork Smiley

Team Prodigy - Just like Team Oldie only younger, faster, less grey hair and kinder to the environment!
Blunder
iRacing Indycar Host
Incident Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2010, 01:55:08 PM +0000 »

Well done buddy, I will need all of this also...

Could I add.... is it worth someone doing us some sort of baseline? and giving direction how to modify to suit each track!?
Had a quick go with it around Spa and it was brilliant! Loads more forgiving than of old but again no idea where to start with it!
It always had to be pretty much straight before applying any power but it seems a little better now!?
Looking forward to some feedback!  Smiley

I'd rather be iRacing Ovals.... Smiley     iRacing id= Martin Mason
Paul Thurston
Former Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2010, 10:13:51 PM +0000 »

I found that it's a racing car the same as any other.  Brake straight, turn in then wait on part throttle for the moment to feed the power back in works very well.  It may not be as fast as the really quick boys but it enables me to be consistent and the speed will come from that.

Smiley
BorchersDK

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 01:37:18 PM +0000 »

Im not super much into the IndyCar setups yet, but the soft setups which the aliens seem to prefer, doesnt suit me at all. Sure they are fast if you dont make any mistakes, and dont mind working overtime with the car, when pushing it across the limit, but Im way too lazy a driver for that, hehe. So I usually grab a Huttu setup, add some front rollbar, and stiffen the dampers (maybe some spring tweaks too) untill it has settled down enough, to not kill me if I hit a curb to hard etc. Im a smooth driver, so my aproach is to let the car do the work, with minimal input from me.

I dont really bother myself to much about being the quickest cat, I do set me some goals though, but my main goal is to complete a race at my current personal maximum without mistakes. If I make mistakes, then I went over my current maximum. Some days I might be quicker than Driver A, and sometimes Driver A beats me, on the same track. For me its all about ballancing it on my current limit, a constant self disciplin challenge basicly.

Not sure how much this actually helps you, but if you can use some of that, super Smiley.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: