Quarterly cost: �0

April 25, 2024, 08:15:46 PM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
S4455GPP
S4455GPW
S4466CA
S4467F1P
S4467F1W
S4467F2A
S4467F2P
S44JSMT
Recent
S4455GPP Roy Hesketh (…
S4455GPW Roy Hesketh (…
S4466CA Bathurst
S4467F1W Mont-Tremblant
S4467F1P Mont-Tremblant
S4467F2P Snetterton (L…
S4467F2A Snetterton (L…
Forthcoming
S4455GPP Reims (1954-7…
S4455GPW Reims (1954-7…
S4466CA Michigan
S4467F1P Aintree
S4467F1W Aintree
S4467F2P Sempione (193…
S4467F2A Sempione (193…

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Linked Events
  • S20N Kyalami: January 25, 2011
January 25, 2011, 09:54:00 PM +0000 - Kyalami (1961-67) - UKGPL Season 20 (2010-2011) Novices Trophy (65)
Driver
 Team
Nat. Make Model Class Qualifying Race
Tyres Pos Time/Gap Pos Time/Gap Laps Stops Best Retirement
reason
Ballast
Artiglietti

Cooper T77 (Climax) F1 1965 1 1:24.989
---
1 34:29.520
---
24 1:24.924
---
Dunlop  
Ross Neilson
 Clark-Hill Racing
Brabham BT7 (Climax) F1 1965 2 +0.390
---
2 +3.973
---
24 1:25.647
---
Dunlop  
il_lupo_mannaro

Ferrari 512 F1 1965 6 +0.921
---
3 +21.116
---
24 1:25.940
---
Dunlop  
Nigel Smith
 HikiWazaRacing
Honda RA272 F1 1965 7 +1.011
---
4 +27.145
---
24 1:25.908
---
Goodyear  
vosblod
 Clark-Hill Racing
Cooper T77 (Climax) F1 1965 5 +0.705
---
5 +40.183
---
24 1:26.571
---
Dunlop  
Billy Nobrakes
 Black Night Racing
Brabham BT11 (Climax) F1 1965 9 +1.271
---
6 +44.535
---
24 1:26.652
---
Goodyear  
miner2049er
 Clark-Hill Racing
Cooper T77 (Climax) F1 1965 11 +1.443
---
7 +1:07.324
---
24 1:27.319
---
Dunlop  
maestro57
 Black Night Racing
Cooper T77 (Climax) F1 1965 12 +1.471
---
8 +1:32.100
---
24 1:26.120
---
Dunlop  
blito
 Nessuna Speranza
Ferrari 512 F1 1965 16 +3.973
---
9 +1:33.384
---
24 1:26.403
---
Dunlop  
happyal
 Clark-Hill Racing
Ferrari 512 F1 1965 14 +2.094
---
10 +1L
---
23 1:27.249
---
Dunlop  
BadBlood
 HikiWazaRacing
Honda RA272 F1 1965 15 +3.522
---
11 +2L
---
22 1:28.905
---
Goodyear  
karlisss

Honda RA272 F1 1965 10 +1.423
---
12 +1.414
---
22 1:26.258
---
Goodyear  
Ronniepeterson

Lotus 33 (Climax 1965) F1 1965 4 +0.396
---
13 +8.465
---
22 1:25.706
---
Dunlop  
NHance
 Mountside Racing
Brabham BT11 (Climax) F1 1965 3 +0.391
---
14 (+1) +12L
---
12 1:26.068
---
Goodyear  
roguk
 Clark-Hill Racing
Cooper T77 (Climax) F1 1965 8 +1.190
---
15 +16L
---
8 1:28.827
---
Dunlop  
norbert
 Antipasti Racing
Ferrari 512 F1 1965 17 +5.090
---
16 DNS ---
---
Dunlop  
maddog
 Antipasti Racing
Cooper T77 (Climax) F1 1965 13 +1.574
---
17 ---
---
Dunlop  
5 UKGPL.65

Lotus 33 (Climax 1965) F1 1965 18 ---
---
Dunlop  

Moderator's Report

Kyalami showed us 3 kinds of people. Those who understand binary and those that don't.

Oh, and those that can find the pit entry and those that can't. I've watched the entire replay several times and I'm sure the Pit entry does not move, yet lots of people failed to find it when necessary.

The battle up front was intense with the top 2 separated by a few seconds for the entire race, and there were some great performances from the mid field pack.

Now then, who had the pit wall as instructed and who didn't?

Server replay time: 0h00m54s

Nigel Smith drives through the end of the pit wall.

All drivers were told to have the pit wall in place or face disqualification. Though Nigel did not specifically gain an advantage by driving through the wall at that time, had it been in place he would have hit it and caused potential carnage behind.

I have chosen to issue a warning only in this instance, but next time I post a Kyalami race post it will be much more clear that any driver crossing the pit wall will be instantly disqualified.

Server replay time: 0h01m00s

Karliss is lucky not to collect Nigel when he outbrakes himself into T1

Server replay time: 0h07m30s

Al takes a SHIFTR presumably to repair damage from his earlier crash but does not take a SnG.

Server replay time: 0h08m20s

Karliss attempts to enter the pit lane but loses control and slides across track collecting a helpless RogUK and Pete Maestro who miraculously lands in the pit lane and inspects the damage.

Server replay time: 0h10m10s

Karliss attempts a second shot at the pit lane and gets collected by Blito who doesn't realise he is pitting.

The pit entry is tricky here and though Blito could not know Karliss was about to pit, it is always risky to close on somebody so quickly at that point.

• Racing incident

Server replay time: 0h11m45s

RogUK is trying to pit following his SHIFTR but his SHIFTR was actually a free one.
He messes up his entry and has to reset so he now does owe a SnG which he takes at 0h13m30s.

• Racing incident

Server replay time: 0h12m00s

Well, they say 3rd time lucky.
Unfortunately Karliss has never heard the saying and his 3rd attempt at pitting goes no better than his previous 2.

• Racing incident

Server replay time: 0h12m50s

Ronnie passes Norm on the inside at Jukskei Sweep and the 2 collide.

Norm has lost the corner and Ronnie has enough overlap at turn in.

Norm takes too tight a line and although they are near the centre line when they touch, Norm is turning into Ronnie and should have allow him more room.

Server replay time: 0h13m05s

Karliss approaches a prostate NHance and Ronnie.
He is shown yellow flags and does slow down but clips Ronnie.

• Racing incident

Server replay time: 0h14m20s

Ronnie attempts to pit following his crash with Norm and rips the front wheel off in the process.

His reset was free but now he does owe one and takes it immediately.

• Racing incident

Server replay time: 0h15m50s

Karliss takes a 3rd SnG but this is for the incident where he was rear ended by Blito and should have been a free SHIFTR.

Server replay time: 0h29m25s

Ronnie attempts to pass Paul just as Paul has a huge tank slapper and the two collide.

• Racing incident

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: UKGPL Season 20 (2010-2011) Novices Trophy (65) - Kyalami - Jan 25  (Read 9753 times)
miner2049er
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2011, 09:44:24 AM +0000 »

I am not sure why we have the pit wall rule - it makes the pit entrance bloody tricky Sad As long as it is the same for everyone, it should be OK and most do not have the wall by default, I think.

If people don't have the pit wall it gives them a wider start finish straight so it is easier for them to pass people who do have the pit wall.

For that reason we require that everyone has it so that we all have the same amount of track to use.

It is not an automatic DQ but the moderator will watch the replay and see if anybody drives through it, meaning they don't have it installed.

miner2049er
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2011, 09:46:29 AM +0000 »

For some reason the server was misbehaving but eventually it got going, unlike me. I've never been that fast at Kyalami and my previous win here was through consistency rather than pace.

Qually was OK and my time was where I expected it to be but was only good enough for 11th.

I spent the first couple of laps trying to find a way past Billy who had a set of bright purple tyres that were playing him up a bit mid corner and eventually I squeezed past but wasn't able to get away from him, and once he warmed his racing purples up he reigned me in before driving right past me on the straight.

I never troubled anyone else in front after that and just picked up a couple of places as people fell away.

Anderstorp next and another track with a loooooooooooooong straight.

Oh boy!

Ross Neilson
UKGPL Divisional Moderator
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2011, 10:11:47 AM +0000 »

Anderstorp next and another track with a loooooooooooooong straight. Oh boy!

Yeah whose idea was that? Wink

Racing as Ross Neilson 65/66/69 for Clark-Hill Racing
Billy Nobrakes
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2011, 11:10:23 AM +0000 »

Certainly one of the more entertaining races. Almost a full grid where a few 10ths made quite a big difference to your grid position. Great discipline by the whole field on lap one with no major incidents that I’m aware of.
Enjoyed a good battle with Mike early on, was gifted 3 places by the Norm / Ronnie incident and spent the last few laps trying to catch up with Vos but really needed another 10 laps.  The long straight definitely favoured engine power – although AA & Gilles seemed to find a way round that.
I know it was the 60’s & GPL decided to jazz up my car. According to my replay my tyres were black but others were seeing red & purple rubber. Also the front half of my BT11 was a brilliant white – so it looked a bit like Honda but without the extra engine power.
On to Anderstorp where I’m going to race in Jimi Hendrix shirt, flared trousers & stack heels.

Leading from the back at Black Night Racing
Ross Neilson
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2011, 11:53:02 AM +0000 »

Wow! That was pretty intense racing Smiley

My best performance since joining UKGPL and although I didn't win I'm still delighted with the result. Spent the whole race chasing Attilio, usually between 2 and 3 seconds behind. We both drove right on the limit for 24 laps without errors which is certainly something I've not managed before. Grats to Attilio on a great victory.

I am starting to enjoy the BT7 now and recent changes to my setup, particularly the diff, are allowing me to go quicker than before. I feel like being given a slower car has forced me to improve so perhaps I should thank the moderator after all Smiley With three races to go my points lead is healthy but I am concerned that once the two worst scores are dropped it could be pretty tight Smiley

A quick shout out to Fabio who continued his great form - three podiums in a row now well done that man. Also to Nigel who bagged his best result of the season (so far!) with fourth.

Best of all it was great to see a packed grid hope we can keep it that way till the end of the season.

Racing as Ross Neilson 65/66/69 for Clark-Hill Racing
BadBlood
Former UKGPL Moderators

Sassafrassarassum Rick Rastardly!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2011, 12:05:18 PM +0000 »

Badblood has got past me during these off’s, I caught him up and was looking for a way past, he made a small mistake and went wide going into turn 2. The space looked good so I went for it. I kept a tight line, as I knew he was likely to make the corner so I left him space. He came back on line, as he obviously didn’t think I was next to him, the collision didn’t effect me but I saw him spin out, sorry about that if it was my fault.

Don't think it was you, Alistair - I had, as you said, lost it into Crowthorne and was wide as a result but that is my preferred line anyway - I thought I had my nose ahead but the replay shows you much further up than I anticipated - I thought that you would have had to drop back at Crowthorne to avoid me there but you got a pretty good run. Lack of racecraft on my part but it is really my first experience of reall wheel to wheel racing. Hope ther is no penalty but I fear the worst!

I am concerned that once the two worst scores are dropped it could be pretty tight Smiley
What makes you think yuo'll improve those scores? The wazas are coming... Smiley
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 12:08:52 PM +0000 by BadBlood » Logged

BadBlood

aka

Angel Moose angel
GPLRank +71.5ish Smiley
GPL65Rank +71.1ish Smiley
Other ranks? Middlin' Slowish Wink
Hristo Itchov

There is no limit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2011, 01:33:06 PM +0000 »

I am not sure why we have the pit wall rule - it makes the pit entrance bloody tricky Sad As long as it is the same for everyone, it should be OK and most do not have the wall by default, I think.

The default is WITH a wall, what most have is an add-on, but that doesn't mean everyone has it. Besides, it's much safer on the start with the wall in place, otherwise you get people going into the pitlane and then coming 3-4 wide into T1 which almost always leads to a disaster. Besides, the pit entry is the same to everyone, so you're not handicapped in any way.

vosblod
Former UKGPL Moderators

can divide by zero

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2011, 01:40:57 PM +0000 »

Quallied 5th and finished 5th which is about right.
An enjoyable outing for me. I had no chance of a look in against the lightning speeds of Art and Ross in the Coop and BT7 (well done you two) but was pleased to head up the remaining Coopermen. During the race Fabio and Nigel passed me on the straight and I just had to watch them slowly dissappear, even a bit of tow didn't help. Still, can't moan, the chassis allocation didn't stop the two frontrunners.
After that I had a bit of a gap ahead of Billy but not enough to get comfortable. Sure enough it dropped in fits and starts but I kept pushing knowing if he got into my tow I'd be watching him waving as he passed on the straight too.

Don't know the last three circuits that well so must do some practice.

PS: very strange but Norm had bright red tyres, and that was before he heated them up. See Mike was treated to a psychedelic experience as well.
Ronniepeterson

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2011, 02:09:21 PM +0000 »

On looking at the replay - Ronnie didn't have a problem - he slowed so we could race

No problems on track Paul but a few slight issues around my PC (headphones falling off, steering wheel loose, hearing Utd had got the winner etc) had me driving a little stop start for a while. After dropping out of the battle at the sharp end, due to an earlier coming together with Norm, I did drop alongside for some racing with yourself, ensuring I did not interfere with anyone lapping me during the course of our scrap. Was that pass on me genuine??? Well I saw you go past me so yes. But don't do it again.

On the subject of our coming together Norm, sorry, we both deserved better. I looked at the replay and yes I had the inside line, wheels just ahead, but to my eye I was only going to make it stick if you had backed off. No reason why you should have I hasten to add and the inevitable happened. I was only racing but if you feel I was out of order and want to report it, no hard feelings from this side. After Imola and this one we really should stay apart or people will be talking! Did you really have red tyres?

Conratulations to thje podium. Attilio and Ross did wonders with those cars and yes I agree Fabio was excellent again in that Ferrai. As for me after this and the Privateers race at the weekend I’m just glad to see the back of Kyalami, total nightmare.
il_lupo_mannaro

Ciao, Sic! #58

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2011, 07:49:20 PM +0000 »

WOW! A third consecutive podium was really unexpected here...
I must thank Pete and Ronnie that eliminate themselves and I only had to avoid any mistake until the end of the race.
Grats to Attilio and Ross that yesterday were racing in another world.
Thx to everybody raced and to the organization
See you all in cold Sweden (not the right place for a February race I guess...)

Long Live GPL! Long Live UKGPL!

Fabio Locarno
---------------------------------------------
GPLRank +20.138
Monster of GPLRank +548.907
ChallengeRank +187.387
GPL65Rank +59.222
SadSadSadSadSad
-----------------------
NHance

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2011, 07:54:36 PM +0000 »

I'm with Rog. This was my worst UKGPL race ever
Seen your post Ronnie seems your not going to report it so I wont. No hard feelings, Its closed unless the moderators  raise it. My tyres wern't red but the car body was, just like Imola.

The 3 or 4 laps that followed really got to me. ShiftR but made a mess of the difficult pit entry so set off on another lap whereupon my brand new engine blew before I completed a lap. ShiftR again & called at the pits for s&g then did another lap & another s&g so all my dues are paid. These 2 laps were slow & scrappy & I went off the track & several cars passed. The leaders I think. Started again & by now prebluda was red & I didn't really know my position. Joined behind a duel between Karliss & HappyAl but not sure if they were on the same lap. Passed Karliss but I'm sure he deliberately allowed it & I had some more "offs". Decided to retire as I was now driving very badly. I didn't want to cause an accident & ruin anyone's race. The first time I have ever voluntarily left a race. Spent the rest of the race viewing on board with Attilio, Ross, Fabio(well done you 3) & Pete (not in a BT11) & Billy ('cos he was in a BT11).

On a lighter note. The qually of Ross & Attilio with a 1.24.99 was unbelievable. I have a theory that Attilio is a direct descendant of Alberto Ascari. Same initials. Only explanation I can think of  Grin
I'm over it, I'll be back. See you in Sweden. Smiley
Norm H
Artiglietti

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2011, 11:06:40 PM +0000 »

Well, thats the thing NH: Alberto Ascari, Nino Farina, Attilio Artiglietti, Tazio Nuvolari. I think it blends well, has got the resonance of one of those ancient and legendary, but also bizarre Italian names... laugh

This was the best race I drove out of the handful I have under my belt. Within my obvious limits, it was as close to spotless as they come. Managed a good time in qually (with a tow..) among a lot of traffic and distraction due to the server probs (same for everybody of course). Good start, incredibly intense race. I turned my prib off, not to lose focus, but whilst I was pushing, I was constantly reminded Ross was there and I couldnt afford any mistake, since even when I could pull off a gap sufficient to shut up that annoying high pitched buzz he tried to distract me with, I could see his dotty shadow sweeping through my mirrors here and there along the circuit. Fantastic race mate, will remember this one.

Had a little adventure with a Honda, which I found lazily laying across the track just when I had passed the crest at the beginning of the esses scared scared. For a change, almost a first for me, I made the RIGHT split decision, and went left for the grass and the armco. Speed was low, so I could unglue the thing quickly enough to rejoin in front. Following lap was my fastest, it would have netted me pole, and without a tow..I got a notice for reported incident about this one Paul, it was you I suppose, but I dont see anything wrong with what you did, when you spin you stop where you stop!

Special thanks to Alistair who let me by going on the grass when he realised I was getting ragged behind him. I obviously dont expect people to do that on a regular basis, but it was much appreciated since I was finding difficult to get close enough to have a proper lapping, and I had a buzzing thing up my backside all way round..

I noticed myself the field is becoming more competitive; at this rate, you are going to have a Cooper championship next season....

Grats to the other podium boys, see you at the next one.   

BadBlood
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2011, 11:10:47 PM +0000 »

Had a little adventure with a Honda, which I found lazily laying across the track just when I had passed the crest at the beginning of the esses scared scared. For a change, almost a first for me, I made the RIGHT split decision, and went left for the grass and the armco.

Yeh, sorry 'bout that Atillio, I was just having a little picnic... Once I'd stopped spinning I wasn't even sure I was facing the right way which is why I pulled away a bit tentatively. You truly saved my bacon. It wasn't a reset but I might get a smack on the wrist Sad

It is surprising the mix of races - some great, others woeful. Perhaps a measure of my ability when I am cock a hoop at 11th (even if Ronnie should have been there).

Just to let you know how a real novice thinks:

I was lapping at high 1:28s relatively easily with odd 1:34 thrown in when I made a mistake. My plan was to be really steady and I calculated that if I could just average 1:30 I might not even get lapped. I thought pole would be 1:25.7 or so so I reckoned on losing 4 secs or so a lap - or 1:36 in the race.

Well that plan went out the window. Mistake on the first lap gave me a 1:39 and then more little errors meant I was lapping at 1:32 Sad Best I could do was a 1:28. something which was a bit disappointing but the thing I found REALLY tough was finding out from Prib who the hell I was racing and who was lapping me. I wasn't going to fight anyone too hard for a place (you are all quicker after all) but I found myself in a couple of real races which was a new experience. What a buzz.

So on to Sweden and I'll be steady there - I promise,  I really will, No! I will. I mean it...
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 11:16:12 PM +0000 by BadBlood » Logged

BadBlood

aka

Angel Moose angel
GPLRank +71.5ish Smiley
Artiglietti

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2011, 11:22:47 PM +0000 »

Yeah, thats the problem I have while lapping, I am always worried the guy in front doesnt know it is not for position. I mean, everyone was fine last night, but for instance during the last spec race I followed someone for the last 2 laps, because he didnt let me pass and I could afford to slow down since I had a big margin behind. I think he didnt realize he was being lapped, but arent you supposed to be shown blue flags that only the lapped guy can see? I think it works like that with the AI.

BadBlood
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2011, 11:43:48 PM +0000 »

Blue flags definitely help

Just tried out Anderstorp - oh dear. Think a time of 1:45 will be more than sufficient there - only got to find 8 seconds Sad

BadBlood

aka

Angel Moose angel
GPLRank +71.5ish Smiley
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com