The Spirit of British SimRacing   

Read this first!    

nonchalant-unilinear
April 20, 2024, 12:31:03 AM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Website problems - Jan/Feb 2011  (Read 7827 times)
spanner
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Team Prodigy - UKGTR/UKAC

View Profile
« on: January 28, 2011, 06:20:00 PM +0000 »

The last week has seen the forum grind to a halt many times and even dissappear totally from time to time. Its taken me 5mins to get to be able to post this!

Huh

Learn to love the Pork Smiley

Team Prodigy - Just like Team Oldie only younger, faster, less grey hair and kinder to the environment!
Dave 'Gizmo' Gymer
Director General
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Currum auriga quasi furtivum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 08:46:46 PM +0000 »

Yeah. The hosting company was acquired last year and the fallout is starting to show. They appear to be mass-migrating all hosted sites to the new parent company's hosting center in Ohio and not doing a very good job of it. Roll Eyes It seems okay right now but at some points today it's taken 90 seconds just to show the forum index page, on top of which I've been getting very mixed messages about whether or not we needed to have the forum turned off while the migration happened, or indeed when the migration was supposed to happen. I'm still not sure, although touch wood we don't appear to be missing any posts or results on what I assume is the post-migration server (as I put the old one into maintenance mode).

I'm now seriously thinking about whether I want to remain with HostICan when the next renewal is due. Undecided

If anyone saw the sad panda picture, that was my fault. Embarrassed Hopefully most people were to busy at work during the time it was hosed to have picked up the wrong DNS values.

To finish first, first you must have fins.
spanner
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Team Prodigy - UKGTR/UKAC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 02:34:16 PM +0000 »

Woohoo i'm on! Been down for a while Angry

Can we last till the next renewal? Roll Eyes

Learn to love the Pork Smiley

Team Prodigy - Just like Team Oldie only younger, faster, less grey hair and kinder to the environment!
Dave 'Gizmo' Gymer
Director General
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 09:12:27 PM +0000 »

According the hosting company it's all up and running again. wacko

Ross Neilson
UKGPL Divisional Moderator
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 09:39:17 PM +0000 »

Hi Dave,

Great to see the site back up again, hopefully the worst of it is behind us. They say you only appreciate something when it's gone and that is certainly true of srou; I've missed my daily diet of UKGPL chatter Smiley

Thanks for your efforts over the last few days and for giving us all a focal point for sim racing in the UK.

Racing as Ross Neilson 65/66/69 for Clark-Hill Racing
Dave 'Gizmo' Gymer
Director General
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 09:40:25 PM +0000 »

Bit of a risk but after all the disruption, I've changed the "www" DNS entries for both UKGPL and SRou back to point at the real site. If for some reason you want to see the holding page again, just put in a ukgpl.com or simracing.org.uk address without the leading www; I'll turn those off in a day or two when everything looks to be stable again.

I can only apologize for all the disruption. Embarrassed Obviously our web hosting is essentially beyond my direct control, but I will certainly be looking to move providers just before my current contract expires in July, probably to Arvixe who currently host the Team Shark website.

Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

"I'd rather be Sim-Racing" said Noddy

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 11:53:39 PM +0000 »

It's nice to be home again 

The only UK based GTL community which races every Monday night. We are always looking for new drivers of all ages and abilities. GTL here since 2006.

Phil Gilliland

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 06:30:28 PM +0000 »

Thanks for your efforts over the last few days and for giving us all a focal point for sim racing in the UK.

stupid
Dave 'Gizmo' Gymer
Director General
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2011, 07:41:42 AM +0000 »

Well, it was a mistake turning them back on when we looked stable on CP50.myhostcenter.com... as they then moved us to CP09 (which took another two days Roll Eyes ). They've removed all the data from CP50 so it's possible that we've lost a few posts made between me losing access to CP50 (and thus being unable to switch the forums into full maintenance mode) and the data being transferred (for a second time!) to CP09.

Hopefully, fingers crossed, touch wood etc etc we're now stably on CP09 and will stay there (and up) for the time being. surrender

Needless to say I'm very, very upset with HostICan 't for putting us through this - not so much for the technical hitches, but for the utter lack of communication from them during the process, and the unwillingness to own up to how badly things were going.

I've already signed up for two years with Arvixe, who host the Team Shark website, but if the forums remain stable and available during today I'll do a planned migration some time in the near future, rather than just slamming the code and data over in a mad panic.

b_1_rd
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2011, 08:07:33 AM +0000 »

Appreciate your efforts Dave.  Thanks very much.

Steve

Remember, you’re an individual, just like everyone else.
Dave 'Gizmo' Gymer
Director General
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2011, 09:09:15 AM +0000 »

p.s. Thanks to everyone for your understanding and support over the last week.

Truetom

Ljubljana, Slovenia

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2011, 09:14:17 AM +0000 »

According to the dates on the last post at least you guys were able to login while all I got was error up until this very moment. Lips Sealed How is this kind of long absence acceptable for a highly developed country like GB? Lips Sealed

Anyways, too bad Race's race didn't take place, looking forward to continuation of our affairs. Smiley
Phil Gilliland

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2011, 09:17:29 AM +0000 »

How is this kind of long absence acceptable for a highly developed country like GB? Lips Sealed

Since when has Ohio been in GB?
popabawa
Legendary Leader
Former Moderators

Less yapping and more lapping!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2011, 09:18:45 AM +0000 »

Thanks Dave,  sounds like this has been enormously frustrating.  

Legends Racing simracing team
Adam Parle
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2011, 09:19:58 AM +0000 »

It's not all bad .... we've all been much more active on the iRacing forums in the last few days Cheesy.
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com