The Spirit of British SimRacing   

Read this first!    

nonchalant-unilinear
April 25, 2024, 07:58:55 PM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Recommendations for an excellent FPS needed  (Read 12558 times)
Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

"I'd rather be Sim-Racing" said Noddy

View Profile
« on: February 07, 2011, 12:45:22 PM +0000 »

Now I have my new rig up and running I'm after getting a new FPS to run on it with all the eye candy maxed out.

I really enjoy FPS's like System Shock 2, Half Life, Unreal, Far Cry, FEAR etc best of all where you are just an individual, not a squad leader. I can't be doing with issuing orders to my AI buddies. I just want to get stuck in on my own.

Only interested in single player as I don't have the time to dedicate to multiplayer gaming.

Based on the above, what's likely to be my ideal purchase?

PS If it's on Steam so much the better.

The only UK based GTL community which races every Monday night. We are always looking for new drivers of all ages and abilities. GTL here since 2006.

spanner
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Team Prodigy - UKGTR/UKAC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 01:02:33 PM +0000 »

Well you've just listed the best ones.

I dont beleive any of the modern games are really any good. Games like COD and MoH feature too much scripting and i never felt i was really in control most of the time. Felt more like an interactive movie. Games focus too much on multiplayer now as well so i think were seeing the decline in decent single player games. I like to take my time when playing and try to explore as much as possible and try and make sure i've killed everyone before i move on. The speed and pace online is rediculous.

The early Moh and COD are brilliant. Metro 2033 is the best game ever. Just finshed HL ep1 and am stuck at the end of ep2

I'm currently trying to look back over the last few years to find games to play now as i now have plenty of time to play! Have spent loads of time looking on gamespots reviews trying to find something to play.

Learn to love the Pork Smiley

Team Prodigy - Just like Team Oldie only younger, faster, less grey hair and kinder to the environment!
ross.mcw

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 01:15:57 PM +0000 »

I always thought Far Cry was one of the best and most varied FPS games I ever played.
Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 01:18:54 PM +0000 »

I always thought Far Cry was one of the best and most varied FPS games I ever played.
True. Shame Far Cry 2 sucked

The only UK based GTL community which races every Monday night. We are always looking for new drivers of all ages and abilities. GTL here since 2006.

Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 01:28:27 PM +0000 »

Metro 2033 is the best game ever.

Not heard of this one but having just watched the trail on Play.com it does look good  Shocked

H@L9000
Director, UKGTR
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 04:13:20 PM +0000 »

Dead Space 2 has just come out. I played the first one and it was a nice single player FPS with excellent use of sound and lighting to set the scary mood. From what I hear, number 2 is more of the same and has some nice eye candy, especially if you are willing to turn the brightness levels down to where they should be.

Grand Theft Auto 4 also has very nice GFX on the PC and is actually a very good game that will keep you entertained for a much longer time than most traditional styled FPS games IMO.

Open the Pod Bay door please H@L...
Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 04:56:25 PM +0000 »

Thanks for that H@L. I had been looking at the original Dead space.

Anyone have an opinion on the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series?

Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 07:13:50 PM +0000 »

Decided to try Crysis as it's by the same people who did Far Cry.

Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 01:37:24 PM +0000 »

After a long postal dispute with the online retailer Gameplay, I finally received my copy of Crysis. Actually have the "Maximum" version which includes a follow up single player game plus the multiplayer extra's.

Like the graphics a lot and the action is enough to keep making you try out different stategies after the previous one fails.

Only minor gripe is with the AI. Sometimes a single good headshot will take them down, other times they refuse to drop even after multiple hits. Minor gripe tho and with a good storyline, excellent weaponry and not to many cut scenes, I think I'm going to enjoy finishing this. BTW I've started not on my usual "Normal" skill level but on the next hardest which probably explains why I'm getting killed so often.

Mr.BMW

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2011, 08:38:10 PM +0000 »

STALKER is good, Crysis is good.

Get the Cuban Config for Crysis, makes it look 100x better and run smoother.

Watch out for the heavy armored Koreans, headshots wont kill them as they're wearing head armor.
I find the AK is a bit better as it will pack some more punch.

Nothing is more fun than going into strength mode, jumping on a roof - punching through the roof, picking someone up by the throat and throwing them into their buddy while unloading with a shotgun, then grabbing a Garbage bin and throwing it at a Hum Vee

Bad Company 2 is good
It's not an FPS, but Just Cause 2 is a ton of fun and looks GREAT at max settings.
Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2011, 10:03:31 PM +0000 »

STALKER is good, Crysis is good.

Get the Cuban Config for Crysis, makes it look 100x better and run smoother.

Watch out for the heavy armored Koreans, headshots wont kill them as they're wearing head armor.
I find the AK is a bit better as it will pack some more punch.

Nothing is more fun than going into strength mode, jumping on a roof - punching through the roof, picking someone up by the throat and throwing them into their buddy while unloading with a shotgun, then grabbing a Garbage bin and throwing it at a Hum Vee

Bad Company 2 is good
It's not an FPS, but Just Cause 2 is a ton of fun and looks GREAT at max settings.
Cheers Jeb  Cool

Mr.BMW

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2011, 11:31:43 PM +0000 »

here's a link to the config

http://www.incrysis.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=23117

it works for Warhead and it should work fine for vanilla crysis (at least I think i remember running it for Vanilla Crysis)

here's a nice giant panoramic with the config installed

Mr.BMW

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2011, 06:48:10 PM +0000 »

Crysis 2 comes out tomorrow, you need to hurry and beat Crysis 1 and Warhead!
Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2011, 06:55:37 PM +0000 »

I know but the trouble with playing on hard level is ..............you keep getting killed.

Currently I'm up to the mission to get on board the Korean Cruiser that's moored at he docks.

BillThomas

We will rock you! Rock on.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2011, 07:23:36 PM +0000 »

I know but the trouble with playing on hard level is ..............you keep getting killed.

Yea and they are real sneaky.

Too many distractions and insufficient time.  Current time waster on iPad and smart phone is Angry Birds - quick burst when you've got 5 mins, usually turns into 15 - don't need to fire up computer just leave router on.

Bill Thomas   wheelchair
Another one bites the dust
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com