The Spirit of British SimRacing   

Read this first!    

April 24, 2024, 01:48:55 PM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Recommendations for an excellent FPS needed  (Read 12529 times)
dave curtis
UKGPL Server Provider
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2013, 11:23:55 PM +0000 »

quake!
yes the original
the "brown" game.....
gotta love it Smiley

Those first moments venturing in there really were quite scary!  [it's probably nothing like any modern game now of course!]

And to answer the initial question - can't say as I'm not qualified to answer.   Don't know why I dropped by here at all really, seeing as I don't even play/live FPS!
H@L9000
Director, UKGTR
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2013, 04:07:28 PM +0000 »

My first FPS was Doom 2. Classic. Smiley

Recently I have been mostly playing Dayz. Its a zombie survival mod for Arma2.
Some vid of gameplay here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPJ37khFJWI
The vid is quite old now and many of the bugs mentioned have been sorted out now.
That youtube channel is good for BF3 as well. Info on weapon choice and upgrades in particular.

To play DayZ you need Arma 2 and the Arma 2 DLC 'Operation Arrowhead'. And of course the mod its self:
http://dayzmod.com/

The mod is also available on steam now but, I do no know if installing DayZ through steam will allow the use of the community maps. Some of them are very good. I use a 3rd party app called 'DayzCommander' to handle installation of mods and for server browsing in DayZ:
http://www.dayzcommander.com/

DayZ is Zombie survival using the more simulator style engine of Arma 2. Quite a breath of fresh air after all other FPS are becoming COD clones. It is a new style of gameplay that is like a FPS with a sort of MMORPG element to it. It is death match style so anyone can kill anyone but, the game has a communication system that allows you to 'talk' to any other player in a realistic hearing range of your character. The idea being that people can use the in game comms to team up against zombies and non friendly players.  It is usually just kill on site with no use of comms however.

DayZ has been very popular from word of mouth advertising alone until it was recently added to steam. So popular in fact that the creators have been hired by the people that make Arma to produce 'DayZ standalone'. A full game based on the mod but using a modified version of the Arma 2 engine. The creators of DayZ being modders themselves, are dedicated to making a good game with no restrictions on creativity. Unlike almost all other current game development, which follows certain trends in order to protect profits. DayZ standalone is due out this year some time. No official Deadline has been set as of yet.

DayZ does have some issues such as bugs as its still only a mod, and hacking. There are ways around the hacking like joining a whitelisted, private server and by going on very low populated servers only. If you play it and start to enjoy it then you will need to start looking for ways to avoid the hackers sooner or later. The issues with hacking are being addressed in the standalone. Don't let it put you off playing the mod.

If you already have Arma 2 and the Operation Arrowhead DLC then you should definitely try out DayZ. I recommend that EVERYONE gets DayZ standalone when it comes out for sure. Smiley

Here are a couple more vids:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fF3HQI6wJLU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaRqHhfiqLM
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 04:11:31 PM +0000 by H@L9000 » Logged

Open the Pod Bay door please H@L...
Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

"I'd rather be Sim-Racing" said Noddy

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2013, 05:05:03 PM +0100 »

So what should I be buying to help me through my "I've finished Far Cry 3" moments? (not finished yet but it won't be too long now).

Bioshock Infinite possibly?

The only UK based GTL community which races every Monday night. We are always looking for new drivers of all ages and abilities. GTL here since 2006.

Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2013, 01:09:20 PM +0100 »

Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon looks a likely candidate, available for download from May 1st from Steam

The only UK based GTL community which races every Monday night. We are always looking for new drivers of all ages and abilities. GTL here since 2006.

Syd Drake
Former UKGPL Moderators

Nightwalker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2013, 02:43:38 PM +0100 »

I recommend Borderlands 2, especially if you team up with 2-3 other players (best played with people you know).
Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 14, 2013, 06:46:05 PM +0100 »

I've just received Hard Reset Extended Edition from Amazon for £3.90 including postage!

It describes itself thus

A haunting cyberpunk/dark sci-fi setting
Fast paced, old school shooter gameplay
Hordes of enemies to destroy
Epic boss fights
A deep experienced based weapons upgrade system
Hi Fi Graphics with full dynamic lighting
Extensive use of physics and dynamic environments

Hope it lives up to all that. I'll let you know.

Oh and it's 18 Cert.  2guns death

spanner
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Team Prodigy - UKGTR/UKAC

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2013, 08:15:25 PM +0100 »

I thought it was an online only type game, or was that HR2.

I bought BLood Dragon but dont really like it at all, For one the machine gun doesnt do accurate fire.

Learn to love the Pork Smiley

Team Prodigy - Just like Team Oldie only younger, faster, less grey hair and kinder to the environment!
Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2013, 06:47:25 PM +0100 »

Shame about Blood Dragon Mark  Sad

BTW I see Steam has System Shock 2 on offer for under £4  Shocked

OK so it came out in 1999 so it looks old by comparison to todays eye candy but I've never played a FPS that had so much atmosphere. You may brown your nethers, it's that scary.

spanner
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 16, 2013, 07:59:44 PM +0100 »

I think if i hadnt played FC3 i would think its quite good but the first bit feels a bit too on rails as what you need to do. So it feels strange to then be let loose. It does feel like you can just wander anywhere, for one theres no real map!

I've been eying up SS2 on Steam as well. I do remember playing the original and did enjoy it at the time though i struggle with any kind of role-playing game now. Luckily you can install it to W7, alot of old games are on steam but they wont run on W7. You need to check the system reqs. carefully at times.

Team Prodigy - Just like Team Oldie only younger, faster, less grey hair and kinder to the environment!
Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 14, 2013, 07:55:21 PM +0100 »

Mark, I wouldn't think of SS2 as a role player? But each to their own I guess.

BTW Hard Reset 2 is still on my HD but probably won't get much use. The story line is just about OK. The voice acting is OTT. The action is quite often too manic. There's no crouch toggle so you can't sneek, duck etc. The landscapes are right out of Bladerunner, there very good. The cut scenes are a series of comic book frames with narration. Bit like someone reading you a Marvel comic with you turning the pages. The big let down for me is the repetitive action. You usually get attacked by swarms of small robots which can be dispatched fairly easily, then you get some bigger bots turn up and they are quite hard to kill. You can shoot various sits of scenery to cause electrical short circuits which arc to the bots and kill them. There's loads of power ups and weapon mods, armour mods etc etc. But my biggest gripe is the inconsistent hardness in the battles. I usually play on the middle difficulty but in this even the "easy" setting can be very tricky to clear certain levels. If I want a quick shoot fest I'll probably return to HR2 but I recently bought the original Bioshock on Steam. Now that's a whole different FPS. I'm loving it.

spanner
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 19, 2013, 10:22:11 PM +0100 »

I found Bioshock quite hard, those big daddys are rock hard. And once into it the story a bit complicated. Bought Bioshock 2 ages in a steam sale but its not much different to B1. The new one looks interesting though.

SS2 had you managing your 'luggage space' so had to decide what you could and couldnt carry. when you have to mange resource to me is a role-playing game.

Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 30, 2014, 07:32:00 PM +0100 »

I would like to put a good word in for Wolfenstein New Order. You will need a good graphics card and up to date drivers and some of the keys will need re-configuring but once you get up and running it's a fine story with great combat and visuals. Ticks my boxes.

spanner
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 06, 2015, 04:13:05 PM +0100 »

Ooh, just found this, again!

Far cry 4, another brilliant game as per FC3. enjoying the relatively free roaming aspect to it rather than your on rails shooters. I guess its a change to play a console style game, earning XP, the obsession finding all the crates aroud the world!

H@L9000
Director, UKGTR
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 18, 2015, 01:27:32 PM +0100 »

Battlefiled Hardline is an interesting take on the Battlefiled series. I have made a short vid explaining one of the new game modes, 'blood money':
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufE2BjMMVnk

Shameless promotion of my new youtube channel whistling
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiObSo1QImrSVIvxY50XEDw

There is another Hardline video, a BF4 video and a Arma 3 Battleroyale mod video on there as well. I was planning on starting a sim racing youtube channel as well but, working on my first person shooter channel is taking up more time than expected so far.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 01:32:55 PM +0100 by H@L9000 » Logged

H@L9000
Director, UKGTR
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2015, 01:31:52 PM +0100 »

The next Star Wars Battlefront game, due out later this year looks pretty tasty as well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwWLns7-xN8

It is by the same people that make Battlefiled and the Frostbite game engine.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com