by SimRacing.org.uk  

Read this first!    

nonchalant-unilinear
April 20, 2024, 01:50:30 PM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Linked Events
  • iRoC NHMS: May 15, 2011
May 15, 2011, 07:00:00 PM +0100 - NHMS (Road with South Oval) - iRacing anythingcanhappensundays Race of Champions - @iRacing.com
Driver
 Team
Nat. Make Model Class Qualifying Race
Tyres Pos Time/Gap Pos Time/Gap Laps Led Best Retirement
reason
Incidents
Dave 'Gizmo' Gymer
 Team Shark
Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS (#36) {unknown} 1 1:05.034
85.649mph
1 44:36.240
83.253mph
40 27 1:05.058
85.618mph
Goodyear 4
mr_oily
 Prodigy Racing
Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS (#36) {unknown} 2 +0.419
85.101mph
2 +24.415
82.500mph
40 13 1:05.229
85.393mph
Goodyear 12
picnic
 Team Shark
Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS (#36) {unknown} 3 +1.487
83.735mph
3 +2L 38   1:06.128
84.232mph
Goodyear 25
fozzmeister
 The Crafty Butchers
Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS (#36) {unknown} 4 +2.771
82.149mph
4 +40L 0   ---
---
Disco
Goodyear  
Bernie Lomax
 Legends Racing
Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS (#36) {unknown} 5 5 0   ---
---
Disco
Goodyear  
kolektiv

Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS (#36) {unknown} 6 6 0   ---
---
Disco
Goodyear  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Race of Champions Round 6 - NHMS (Road with South Oval) - May 15  (Read 9237 times)
GizMoTo

Team TFR

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2011, 06:33:25 PM +0100 »

I'm doing 1:06's IIRC but Dave's more likely to be your bench mark!

ha I knew I was slow but I didn't realize I was that slow ..................quick calculation and you would be lapping me 2 times by the end of lap errrrrrrrr 1  Embarrassed just done 25 laps and my best time was 10+ seconds slower than you bud and out of them 25 laps I think I got 4 clean maybe or was it 3  Undecided

I love racin but not to the risk of others and I'm an unbelievable risk in this thing Smiley maybe if I had realized earlier that I actually had the car and done some real practice  it might have been possible but I didn't even know I had the car till today when I read somebody elsewhere mention that the Late Model was the Monte Carlo  Grin till then I hadn't a clue I had the car  Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed I'm ashamed to say  Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed
picnic
Director, Servers
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2011, 06:48:33 PM +0100 »

Join in the practice GizMoTo, if you still feel the same come race time then by all means decide to miss it. These things are run on roads once you get the hang of it. Not that I have, I'll be 2+ secs of the quick guys pace, but I still enjoy this.

Dave 'Gizmo' Gymer
Director General
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Currum auriga quasi furtivum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2011, 09:52:25 PM +0100 »

These things are fun on roads once you get the hang of it.

Wink

That was a total comedy of errors. Spent most of practice trying to figure out how to use the stagger to minimise the danger of falling off in the middle of the oval part. Was on for a 1:04 in qualifying until I got a black flag in the final chicane; luckily with the short lap I had time to do one more out and flying lap pair and duly stuck it on pole with a good 1:05.0.

Good a got start and watched in my mirrors as Oily and Picnic touched in the banking and Picnic went flying off in a big cloud of smoke. Shocked

Tried to pull away but Oily kept up pretty easily with the draft; after about 4 laps it dawned on me that I was short on fuel so I started trying to save a little; I needed an extra two laps which was going to be a big ask, but I was just about able to carry enough corner speed in critical places to keep Oily behind. After not very long I ran wide out of turn 10 and Oily scampered by, but for reasons best known to himself he let me by again. Huh

A few laps after that I made a slightly bigger mistake and this time Oily went ahead and stayed ahead. Knowing the fuel situation I decided to just follow and try and use the draft to save a little more fuel. By just past half distance it was clear that this wasn't going to work so I started pushing again, hoping to scare him into a mistake. He duly obliged, locking his rears into T4. That gave me a small gap, but I was stunned when he started going backwards at the rate of two seconds a lap. Shocked

I didn't know whether he'd damaged the car somehow, or was having his own fuel drama, but given that I only needed a single splash of fuel, I decided the only sane strategy was to push like crazy, and splash and dash with two to go, but I didn't really have much hope of having enough time in hand to get away with it - especially as the Late Model's refueling now appears to be done through a drinking straw. Undecided

With the laps counting down, the gap was growing and growing, and I had about 30 seconds in hand as I entered the pits. With three screens but single rendering, the stupid game puts the right side of the F-box panel behind my monitor bezels, so I didn't know for sure whether I was going to get right side tyres or not. As it happens I did - but the crew did a phenomenal job under such pressure and I was out again with a 7 second lead - and Oily was still crawling round trying to make the end without a stop.

That let me do the last two laps with a little margin for error. Sadly after the banking when I pulled over the do some doughnuts the blasted thing ran out of fuel! laugh

Pity about the small turnout but at least Pete gets a podium. Grin

I don't expect to be anything other than complete rubbish next time out in the FW31 and with a double header after that, mathematically any one of the top five drivers could still take the title. punk

To finish first, first you must have fins.
mr_oily
Former Moderators

www.steelsnaps.co.uk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2011, 02:23:59 PM +0100 »

Yes I owe Pete an apology for that first corner - really sorry dude, I looked left to check there was nobody there and you were nowhere to be seen - from the replay it's hard to tell but I think you were just in my blind spot. I think it was just because we were so far apart on such a wide piece of tarmac but I'm sure it must have been a surprise that I didn't give you more room - believe me I was as shocked to see you there. I turned out of it as soon as I realised but there was the slightest of touches to the front corner which was obviously enough to turn you around bizarrely!? Thought it would be me who'd lose it from that angle. This is what i hate most about simracing on my current setup - peripheral vision is an absolute nightmare - need three screens or TrackIR or something!

Aside from the indiscretion and lack of drivers, thanks to Dave that was actually an enjoyable race. I let you by because of a cut track btw - definitely wasn't out of choice!

Strangely I didn't notice much of a tow effect at all - it felt like I had the pace, particularly on the brakes. and also when I sussed the technique into that big swooping left hander at T4 I think it was, I was able to close up in the latter part of the lap. Still, major cock-up with the fuel - that killed me having to hand back the lead and drop off the pace totally, I was the best part of 5 laps short and should blatantly have pitted instead of driving that slowly. I realise now I don't really know how to drive and conserve any significant amount of fuel - in the end I was just coasting massively, had there have been other drivers about I definitely couldn't have taken that approach.

I'm also expecting to be rubbish in the Williams but I'll keep the faith! Just hope we get a better turnout for it. That was an awesome track/ car combo, such fun throwing it around through the banking and elevated bits, to only get a handful is criminal really! Would have been epic with a few more but I'm getting the feeling we've reached critical mass now with Club England's latest series of events and the re-introduction of the ORO series.

Never mind, onwards and upwards as they say! Skippy tonight @ Club England which should be a giggle.
lsalbazasa
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2013, 02:09:52 AM +0000 »

Most popular ones on the site. It allows me to meet and talk to many people who came to share the experience
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: