by SimRacing.org.uk  

Read this first!    

nonchalant-unilinear
April 16, 2024, 05:26:48 PM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Linked Events
  • i5i Infineon Raceway: March 29, 2011
March 29, 2011, 06:00:00 PM +0100 - Sonoma Raceway (IRL) - iRacing Season 5 IndyCar Championship - @iRacing.com
Driver
 Team
Nat. Make Model Class Qualifying Race
Tyres Pos Time/Gap Pos Time/Gap Laps Led Best Retirement
reason
Incidents
Simon Gymer
 Team Shark
Dallara IndyCar (#36) ChampCar 1 1:17.979
102.499mph
1 40:32.880
98.560mph
30 26 1:18.969
101.214mph
Firestone 1
Dave 'Gizmo' Gymer
 Team Shark
Dallara IndyCar (#36) ChampCar 3 +0.383
101.998mph
2 +18.561
97.813mph
30 1 1:19.460
100.589mph
Firestone  
GizMoTo
 Team RVS
Dallara IndyCar (#36) ChampCar 4 +0.804
101.453mph
3 +24.422
97.580mph
30   1:19.459
100.590mph
Firestone 6
Ken Murray
 Soggy Bottom Racers Club
Dallara IndyCar (#36) ChampCar 5 +1.136
101.028mph
4 +24.445
97.579mph
30 3 1:19.551
100.474mph
Firestone 6
purdie
 Legends Racing
Dallara IndyCar (#36) ChampCar 8 +2.234
99.645mph
5 +16L 14   1:20.086
99.803mph
Disco
Firestone 6
Burtoner
 Team Shark
Dallara IndyCar (#36) ChampCar 7 +1.957
99.990mph
6 +23L 7   1:21.461
98.118mph
Disco
Firestone 10
Paul Thurston
 Epicurie Banana
Dallara IndyCar (#36) ChampCar 6 +1.783
100.208mph
7 7   1:20.055
99.841mph
Disco
Firestone 10
Mike Wrightson
 Team Shark
Dallara IndyCar (#36) ChampCar 2 +0.205
102.231mph
8 +30L 0   ---
---
Disco
Firestone 2
SimRacing.org.uk Lap Records
iRacing
ChampCar
1:17.979
102.499mph
Simon Gymer
Qualifying
Dallara IndyCarMarch 29, 2011, 06:00:00 PM +0100
i5i
iRacing
ChampCar
1:18.969
101.214mph
Simon Gymer
Race
Dallara IndyCarMarch 29, 2011, 06:00:00 PM +0100
i5i
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: iRacing Season 5 IndyCar Championship - Infineon Raceway (IRL) - Mar 29  (Read 5868 times)
Mike Wrightson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2011, 08:54:32 PM +0100 »

Congrats on the championship Simon.  I crashed at T1  Roll Eyes made it far too easy for you.

Words can't describe how much I hate this track.

Team Shark!
purdie
Incident Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2011, 09:21:57 PM +0100 »

got back from Brands testing today just in time for quali, locked my keys in my car and waited 2 hrs!!  Huh

First lap threw me in quali when it went in a different direction from testing last night  Tongue lollll

got in a banker lap and started last.... managed to get half way - lap 15, before the smallest mistake meant I ruined FR wheel suspension  Smiley

great pace Dave and Simon, watched a few laps after and you were in quali times!  Cool

Simon Gymer
Former Moderators

Cool Bite

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2011, 09:56:57 PM +0100 »

Must admit, that really isn't my favorite track either. It's just too fiddly for such fast cars. But none-the-less, you drive what you are given and so I set about the task of trying to create a setup from a cross of my Barber one, my previous IRL one and a Gregor Huttu (impossible to drive) one. Right at the death of the practice session I found the secret setup change that turned the car from pretty quick every 5 laps (when you weren't spinning), to pretty quick every lap.

I was desperate to get the 1:17 in in qually as I knew I had it in me and managed it at the death of qualifying to take pole ahead of Mike. It looked like it could have been another Barber Motorsports Park epic battle, but as we came into Lap 1 Turn 2 and Mike slid off it was a big anti-climax. I will admit I was also relieved, but I'd rather have had the adrenaline rush of Mike chasing me than such a damp scuib end to the championship. I know you probably didn't feel like it but you could have reset as the same thing could have befallen me at any point in that race.

Anyway, with Mike retiring I felt comfortable and eased it home with a fairly comfortable margin ahead of Gizmo.

Thanks for organising and hosting this series as I've enjoyed it despite the low turnouts and thanks Mike and all the other people I've had close battles with.

Intel I7-4790K @ 4.0Ghz
MSI NVidia 2080 Ti Gaming X TRIO
16GB DDR3 2400Mhz
3x 1920x1080 27" monitors
Thrustmaster T300GTE Wheel + T3PA Pro Pedals
Ken Murray

Ducati 996 @ Cadwell Mountain

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2011, 10:12:28 PM +0100 »

I came last of the finishers, but at least I finished this time! And I very nearly wasn't last after a great battle with Ian throughout, eventually losing by 0.023secs. This is what that looks like:

« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 10:15:12 PM +0100 by Ken Murray » Logged
BorchersDK

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2011, 10:14:01 PM +0100 »

Oh man, Im so sorry guys. I just woke up from falling a sleep after dinner. That was not part of my plan, and now my entire night is messed up aswell  Undecided
Damn, I really looked forward to this one too. I enjoy the car around here.
Mike Wrightson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2011, 10:15:16 PM +0100 »

I don't like resets, I'm too used to rFactor which doesn't have them at all.  If you can't drag the car back to the pits for repairs, you're out.

I'm really in the doldrums with iR and I need to get out of it.  Not feeling at all comfortable driving it, so if someone finds where I dropped my mojo, please post it back to me.. Wink Cheesy

Team Shark!
Dave 'Gizmo' Gymer
Director General
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Currum auriga quasi furtivum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2011, 10:19:30 PM +0100 »

If I'd known it was that layout I'd have gone and done the SR8 at Brands, but seeing the small turnout I decided to stick around and see if I could nick a podium after last night's good testing result.

Struggled all the way through practice to adapt the Long setup to the IRL layout - in the end I changed almost everything but the spring rates; it still didn't feel good but the times were competitive and my usual rule of thumb is that at Infineon, if you can avoid going off you'll do well.

Improved the car a little more in qualifying by tightening the diff even more and that was good enough for third. I was quite pleased to be behind the championship contenders as I really didn't want to interfere with that battle. I half-jokingly said over TeamSpeak that somebody would go off at turn 2 on lap 1, thinking it was most likely to be me (and not for the first time) but it was a huge surprise to see Mike lock up and slide off.

Ken applied lots of pressure in the opening laps as Shark made off into the sunset. I didn't have great pace, partly through inexperience, partly because I was trying to drive a very controlled pace and avoid getting into any wrestling matches with the steering, and partly because I had no real idea how much fuel was needed and had therefore elected to start with a full tank to maximize my pit window.

After a while Ken and Ian had a coming together, which took some of the heat off, but I could see Ken was starting to close up a little again. Near the end of my stint my rears started to go off quite badly and that put the kibosh on any plans to do a long first stint, so I pitted one after half distance in the hope that I could bang some good laps in on fresh rubber and make sure neither Ken nor Ian could catch me.

That worked out well, and in fact Ken's stop ended up being much longer than I expected which gave me a comfortable gap, so I backed off a lot once the tyres started to go again and just cruised home in second.

Well done to Simon for the championship win, and Mike and Ian for their championship podiums. Also glad to have helped Team Shark to a team championship win that's beyond emphatic. Grin

To finish first, first you must have fins.
GizMoTo

Team TFR

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2011, 10:39:10 PM +0100 »

yes Ken that was close .have to say the closest finish I've ever had in IR  Grin

I'm still sure F3 had you in front just before the the line, I couldn't see your car at all so I just kept my foot to the floor

after practising the wrong layout  Roll Eyes I wasn't even sure if I should start the race as I had no confidence in myself on the worst layout of this track there is,

things started feeling a tad better late practice then I qually I dipped under 1:19 which i was chuffed with

at the Start Ken got the jump on me and the race was on   Grin a few laps in and made an almighty mistake and ran into the back of Ken at the tight last turn ....don't know if i hit the brakes later than last lap of if Ken got better stopping power but I misjudged it big time {sorry again Embarrassed}, I sat looking at his car down the track just hoping he could continue hadn't even thought about damage to my car after what seemed an age he got moving only then did i consider my own car I moved off behind him feeling the car for the first half lap and it felt good I could see that Kens car seemed fine also so I got back down to the racing game. Grin happy we had both survived
I drove my car hard as I could leading to the pit-stop  and had just decided to give it 1 more lap then dive in for the stop when I made a mistake at the chicane at the end of the short back straight, this shook up my plans so I dived into the pits right away while my pace had been interrupted.
Pit-stop went very well {I paid the pit crew this week Wink} got back on track then I saw on F3 Ken was pitting due to quick time drop so I floored it as hard as I could that lap hoping to at least be back on his tail but I must have done better in the pits as I crossed the line he was just moving out of his pit stall so I was past him keeping 3rd place but it was close .very close  Wink

the rest of the race I was to be hones over my limits I think I saw 2 personal fastest laps at least in that second half of the race but I couldn't shake Ken then on the final lap final corner I went a fraction wide Ken took it very "tight"  Wink and we both floored it to the line  and the picture above says it all

thanks Ken for one of the best races ever in iRacing talk about sweat my shirt will take a week to dry out  Grin Grin Grin

and to top it all I ended up 3rd over all due to BorchersDK  not turning up {that sleeping potion worked nicely  Tongue}

and I helped get Team RVS 2nd place in the teams championship  all in all a very satisfying season

thanks for the good organising and letting me run the races it's been a total blast of a season

Laters Ian
Burtoner

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2011, 11:13:23 AM +0100 »

My apologies for hitting Paul at the chicane, I actually hit the gravel beforehand on front left so when i braked i was just skidding into you Sad

UKGPL Season 14 Club Champion
Paul Thurston
Former Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2011, 12:31:08 PM +0100 »

My apologies for hitting Paul at the chicane, I actually hit the gravel beforehand on front left so when i braked i was just skidding into you Sad
I suspected you weren't entirely under your own control as you hit me in slightly odd way.

It seemed to only give me a puncture as a fresh set of tyres fixed the car.  I set off and decided to throw caution to the wind which worked for a lap or two then I started getting into silly spins and decided to get out of people's way.

It's been an enjoyable season overall.  Congratulations to Simon who's been quick everywhere and is well deserving of the title.

And Mike, we all go through that mate.  Just get racing.  Have a look at the official Rad series, there's a great little community built up on the Rad forum plus a thread on the England forum.  The Saturday afternoon/evening races are generally excellent.

Paul
Smiley
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: