by SimRacing.org.uk  

Read this first!    

nonchalant-unilinear
April 20, 2024, 06:26:59 AM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Linked Events
  • i5i Mid-Ohio: March 01, 2011
March 01, 2011, 06:00:00 PM +0000 - Mid-Ohio (Full) - iRacing Season 5 IndyCar Championship - @iRacing.com
Driver
 Team
Nat. Make Model Class Qualifying Race
Tyres Pos Time/Gap Pos Time/Gap Laps Led Best Retirement
reason
Incidents
Simon Gymer
 Team Shark
Dallara IndyCar (#36) ChampCar 1 1:10.302
115.188mph
1 41:02.110
111.827mph
34 24 1:11.188
113.754mph
Firestone  
Mike Wrightson
 Team Shark
Dallara IndyCar (#36) ChampCar 2 +0.077
115.062mph
2 +3.501
111.668mph
34 10 1:11.180
113.767mph
Firestone  
GizMoTo
 Team RVS
Dallara IndyCar (#36) ChampCar 5 +0.765
113.948mph
3 +36.300
110.202mph
34   1:11.580
113.131mph
Firestone 1
Brendan
 Kerb Crawlers
Dallara IndyCar (#36) ChampCar 7 +2.069
111.895mph
4 +1:09.501
108.757mph
34   1:12.060
112.378mph
Firestone 7
Paul Thurston
 Epicurie Banana
Dallara IndyCar (#36) ChampCar 4 +0.506
114.365mph
5 +1L 33   1:12.188
112.178mph
Firestone 9
BorchersDK

Dallara IndyCar (#43) ChampCar 3 +0.238
114.799mph
6 +15L 19   1:11.165
113.791mph
Disco
Firestone 5
purdie
 Legends Racing
Dallara IndyCar (#36) ChampCar 6 +1.488
112.800mph
7 +30L 4   1:13.396
110.332mph
Disco
Firestone 10
SimRacing.org.uk Lap Records
iRacing
ChampCar
1:10.302
115.188mph
Simon Gymer
Qualifying
Dallara IndyCarMarch 01, 2011, 06:00:00 PM +0000
i5i
iRacing
ChampCar
1:11.165
113.791mph
BorchersDK
Race
Dallara IndyCarMarch 01, 2011, 06:00:00 PM +0000
i5i
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: iRacing Season 5 IndyCar Championship - Mid-Ohio (Full) - Mar 1  (Read 7223 times)
Blunder
iRacing Indycar Host
Incident Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2011, 06:08:29 PM +0000 »

Server will be up in a couple of mins guys...

I'd rather be iRacing Ovals.... Smiley     iRacing id= Martin Mason
Blunder
iRacing Indycar Host
Incident Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2011, 06:25:07 PM +0000 »

Session started! Have fun! Smiley

BorchersDK

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2011, 09:36:32 PM +0000 »

Im sorry for my sudden exit, could have been a great race for the podium positions. But it just wasnt my day to day. Got home way late from work, so I missed my planned preperation, and had only 15 min of practise. Was very stressed, tired, frustrated and a tad angry, so not the ideal state of mind to be in, but I tried. In the race I just couldnt keep focus, my mind constantly drifted of, which caused me to mis my lines and braking points, wich made me even more frustrated and angry. Never ending spiral, which resultet in a spin before the pit entry, so went for a unplanned early pitstop. Managed to overfill the tank plus my limiter wasnt working (maybe) - cought that quick enough, and well tried again. Some laps later I spun in the same spot again, and now everything within reach was in great danger of being smashed against the wall. Quit and shut the PC down while it was raining fire and brimstone in my apartment Smiley.

Ugh that annoys me. I love the Indycars around Mid Ohio. Is my favorite combo, and I can normally run this track like clockwork, but tonight it was all to much  Undecided.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 09:38:38 PM +0000 by BorchersDK » Logged
Simon Gymer
Former Moderators

Cool Bite

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2011, 09:54:15 PM +0000 »

Woo, great race. That car track combo is just awesome it's a shame more don't try it, but I had a close race anyway.

Managed to nick pole by a tiny margin from Mike and as the pace car headed in I stayed in the lead from pole to settle down with Mike and Karsten doing the same behind me.

First half was amazingly close with the top 3 so even until Karsten's accident. Still, that left Mike and me to duke it out, never more than 2 seconds apart.

With him tailing me for the first half I knew he try something in the pits to get ahead. Sure enough he elected to not change tyres and came out 2 seconds ahead. I soon closed that down and followed him like a wad of blu-tac for a number of laps.

With 4 to go I was praying for a mistake, but in the end I got really brave on the brakes to close up to inches behind Mike and then divebombed from inches behind at the end of the long straight to take the lead back and cruise home for my first win of the season.

Thanks for hosting.

Intel I7-4790K @ 4.0Ghz
MSI NVidia 2080 Ti Gaming X TRIO
16GB DDR3 2400Mhz
3x 1920x1080 27" monitors
Thrustmaster T300GTE Wheel + T3PA Pro Pedals
Mike Wrightson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2011, 10:21:52 PM +0000 »

Great race Cheesy

Just lost out in Q to Shark, but with Karsten behind me, I was still in a strong position for the championship result.  Nice clean start with the top 3 circulating closely until Karsten suddenly disappeared.  Meanwhile I wasn't making much impression on Shark and it looked like my oly chance of passing him would be in the pits.  Since Karsten was out, I had little to lose and didn't change tyres.  I went 2 laps longer than Shark and got out ahead of him!  I checked the fuel box and had a giggle as I'd put in about twice as much as I needed to finish. 

That much weight on worn tyres wasn't going too well, and all I could do was keep hitting the apexes and see if I could keep Shark behind, but inevitably he got a good run down the back straight and I didn't fight the pass.  Second is good Smiley

Congrats Shark and Ian for the podium!   Bad luck Karsten, that's pretty much how I was feeling last sunday Sad

Team Shark!
GizMoTo

Team TFR

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2011, 12:08:27 AM +0000 »

personal best in qualifying by near .5 of a second so I was well happy with that considering all the practice i had done before joining the server was 6 laps before tea time race evening  Roll Eyes

went into the race just hoping for a full race finish saw my closest competition for the race as being Paul we had been close on times in practice but he was a chunk faster in qualy so my plan was to stay as close on his tail as possible and see IF I could take me but keeping it clear in my mind I had to finish no matter what and with as clean an incident tally as possible

first few laps things went to plan until I saw this big cloud of smoke just in front could only mean Paul was having a moment so I eased off as he was just over the crest of the right hander turn 9 ? wasn't sure where his car would be tons of smoke nothing very visible luckily I had room and time to avoid him Wink so my plan changed to keep him behind me  Wink don't know what happened but shortly after he dropped well back I assume another off ?
this left me comfy in 4th place so it was settle down and keep things clean just as i was thinking of when to pit Karsten did his stop  so i thought mmmmm I'll stay out a bit longer see how the gap closes ......and i was trying to work out if i could risk no tires and a splash of fuel and tray and been at least on his tail after the pit-stop and see what happens just as i was planning on doing the stop Karsten vanished  from the F3 window ? this left me with no rush to do anything and still take 3rd place so did a few more laps untill Simon did his stop and came out just in front of me so to avoid any risk of being silly and trying to race him I pitted  took on rubber  and some fuel  Roll Eyes talk about over estimate I ended up with enough fuel to do near another full race  Grin Grin
rest of the race i did relaxed and ended up doing what i shouldn't do in a race ..............try a different line round a corner ..........paid for it ended up blotting my so far clean {incident wise} race  Angry stupid fool luckily it was a harmless cross grass effort  Smiley

so not only did I finish the race I only had 1 incident against me and to top it all I got on the podium again {getting into a habit these days } Shocked Roll Eyes

well done Simon and Mike for the 1,2, there was no way I could even dream of your speeds  Wink

shame not many are turning up at the moment BUT I'm enjoying the podium steps due to it  Wink  Grin Grin Grin

catch ya all next time guys  Smiley thumbup2
Paul Thurston
Former Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2011, 06:43:44 AM +0000 »

I hadn't done a lot of practice either but I knew mid Ohio from the official Rad race there a couple of weeks ago but I seemed to get up to speed pretty quickly.  A 1:10 in qually was a surprise though.

At the start I tried to sneak past Karsten into the final turn but he was wise to it and I slotted in behind.  I soon settled down in a little hole a second or so between Karsten and Ian til about lap 8 when I screwed up the right hander over the hill.  Usual thing, too much power too early.  That turned into a perfect 360 and I only lost one place.  Problem was that I wasn't going as quickly round the following left hander as usual so third gear was too high and I lost the rear end.  Brendan had nowhere to go and hit me.

That actually straightened me up and I was going straight away, Brendan 5 or 6 seconds back.  I noticed Andy was stopping so I'm guessing he got caught up in it too and spent the rest of the race feeling guilty that I'd taken a quarter of the field out in one corner. Embarrassed

I'd fuelled long on the basis that this is a low fuel track and there was a small chance I'd get there on one tank.  If not then I'd set it up for a splash and dash without tyres.  That all went out the window when the rear end snapped out round T1.  In putting on opposite lock I smacked my left elbow a good one on the side of the race frame giving me no chance of saving it and I hit the wall hard.

The tow took over two minutes because I was only just past the pits.  It topped up my fuel so I set off to finish the race without a further stop but by then I was already two laps down.  I settled down after that and got to the finish only a lap down due to other people's stops.  I did unlap myself from Brendan but there was never a chance I'd catch him for 4th, even with his stop.

Congratulations to Mike, Simon and Ian who all drove beautifully.

I'm starting to believer that league racing is dying.  We blame the choice of tracks but which tracks should we be using?  When I chose the tracks I looked at which ones people turned up for in previous SRO series, these were the more popular ones!

The iRacing league structure is beginning to work as designed now and people are concentrating on that more and more.  I for one aren't going to do extra practice to race in a single figure grid.  Even the endurance series is losing people and that's at prime time on a Sunday.

It's not for want of trying.  Maybe I could have advertised it more on the main forum but I have limited time.  I've PM'ed people inviting them and never miss an opportunity to try and bring new people in.  The net result?  Zero.  Not one new person has arrived.

I'll carry on for the rest of this season but after that I'm going to concentrate on the main leagues.

Paul
Simon Gymer
Former Moderators

Cool Bite

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2011, 08:32:28 AM +0000 »

I'm starting to believer that league racing is dying.  We blame the choice of tracks but which tracks should we be using?  When I chose the tracks I looked at which ones people turned up for in previous SRO series, these were the more popular ones!

It's nothing to do with the tracks and never has been and never will be.

I think the Endurance series has dropped through perfectly normal drop-offs. Even when we got grids of 28 for GTR2 at the start of the season by half way that was normally 22 at most and then by the end it's dropped below 20.

As far as the Tuesday night series goes we've always had problems filling Tuesday night grids and drop-off has generally been worse for weeknight racing. I agree with you that there is no point in running a series for so few people so it's not worth doing another iRacing tuesday night series imho.

I'm not convinced the public series is the reason any of this has happened. You only have to look at the number of people doing hosted racing sessions on Sunday nights to see how well leagues are doing on a Sunday night. For me personally I can't say that I'm that compelled by the public stuff still. I mainly do it for participation bonus. Two road races in the current 2011 season is all I've bothered with so far. With the IndyCar having 4 series in public this season there is more to do, but again being able to sit there refreshing the browser everynight in the hope of a race is such a ridiculous chore and is the single biggest reason I prefer league racing (you know when it's going to happen and what you will be driving).
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 08:34:17 AM +0000 by Shark » Logged

Intel I7-4790K @ 4.0Ghz
16GB DDR3 2400Mhz
Dave 'Gizmo' Gymer
Director General
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Currum auriga quasi furtivum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2011, 08:34:51 AM +0000 »

Results up - congratulations to Team Shark who've already sealed the team championship. Grin

To finish first, first you must have fins.
Simon Gymer
Former Moderators

Cool Bite

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2011, 08:36:12 AM +0000 »

Results up - congratulations to Team Shark who've already sealed the team championship. Grin

Hoorah! Unfortunately due to the dropped score I'm not actually leading the drivers championship (yet Wink). laugh

Intel I7-4790K @ 4.0Ghz
16GB DDR3 2400Mhz
Blunder
iRacing Indycar Host
Incident Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2011, 08:47:00 AM +0000 »

Sorry guys,
Was on the practice server last night on my own for a while until Rob, joined...
It then looked like I was 3 seconds off his pace and the difficulty of the track was only gonna result in one thing... me hot lapping at the back, a few minor spins along the way.
Seeing only 5 registered drivers at 8pm supported my assumptions so gave it a miss.

Sorry guys, I want to support our races but the turnout is getting very low Sad
Oh, and I don't have the talent to compete  Wink

Simon Gymer
Former Moderators

Cool Bite

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2011, 09:00:47 AM +0000 »

I think the problem was getting only 12 for the first race put people into the mindset that it was a low turnout series and to not bother. 

With Martin's comment, the problem is once one driver starts doing that, the drivers that would normally race with that person might then think the same thing and you end up with nobody joining. Martins not there so I'll have no one to race so I won't bother. You have to be brave.

I was 2 seconds off the pace before I joined. My fastest lap before last night was 1:12.1. I managed a 1:10.2. Same setup as before too. I'm not sure where I got the speed from but I did. I'm sure running at FF level 2 is helping a lot though!

102%, 0%, 0% in control panel, 2 FF in game for the IndyCar. 1 FF for ovals. G25.

Intel I7-4790K @ 4.0Ghz
16GB DDR3 2400Mhz
Blunder
iRacing Indycar Host
Incident Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2011, 09:59:55 AM +0000 »

Sorry, don't want to start the flood, just want to highlight it so we can try and encourage everyone else to turnup!?  Sad

Gazza49er

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2011, 10:08:18 AM +0000 »

Really sorry i missed this, tuesdays have been a problem for me lately.

Ive just noticed i dont have the last two tracks aswell so bit gutted to have only done the two races as i really enjoyed them.

UKGTR - SEASON 9 - GTC Champion
UKGTR - SEASON 10 - GT2 Champion
UKGTR - SEASON 11 - GT1 Champion
picnic
Director, Servers
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2011, 10:39:01 AM +0000 »

Oh, and I don't have the talent to compete  Wink

Sadly I'm in the same boat (well it might as well have been) There are some tracks I just can't get consistent at and this is one. Doesn't matter what the car is I'm many seconds off the pace and can't even maintain that without frequent excursions off track. Sadly some of us enjoy this but some times lack of talent means a no show if better for everyone. I hope to make the race in 2 weeks @ Barber

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: