Quarterly cost: �0

April 25, 2024, 12:07:10 PM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
S4455GPP
S4455GPW
S4466CA
S4467F1P
S4467F1W
S4467F2A
S4467F2P
S44JSMT
Recent
S4455GPP Roy Hesketh (…
S4455GPW Roy Hesketh (…
S4466CA Bathurst
S4467F1W Mont-Tremblant
S4467F1P Mont-Tremblant
S4467F2P Snetterton (L…
S4467F2A Snetterton (L…
Forthcoming
S4455GPW Reims (1954-7…
S4455GPP Reims (1954-7…
S4466CA Michigan
S4467F1W Aintree
S4467F1P Aintree
S4467F2P Sempione (193…
S4467F2A Sempione (193…

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Linked Events
  • S20N Albi: February 22, 2011
February 22, 2011, 09:42:39 PM +0000 - Albi (1959-80) - UKGPL Season 20 (2010-2011) Novices Trophy (65)
Driver
 Team
Nat. Make Model Class Qualifying Race
Tyres Pos Time/Gap Pos Time/Gap Laps Stops Best Retirement
reason
Ballast
Artiglietti

Cooper T77 (Climax) F1 1965 1 1:15.387
---
1 38:24.674
---
30 1:15.834
---
Dunlop  
Ronniepeterson

Lotus 33 (Climax 1965) F1 1965 4 +0.686
---
2 +5.854
---
30 1:16.249
---
Dunlop  
Ross Neilson
 Clark-Hill Racing
Brabham BT7 (Climax) F1 1965 3 +0.643
---
3 +27.824
---
30 1:16.243
---
Dunlop  
miner2049er
 Clark-Hill Racing
Cooper T77 (Climax) F1 1965 7 +1.346
---
4 +41.228
---
30 1:17.164
---
Dunlop  
norbert
 Antipasti Racing
Ferrari 512 F1 1965 6 +1.207
---
5 +48.575
---
30 1:17.131
---
Dunlop  
roguk
 Clark-Hill Racing
Cooper T77 (Climax) F1 1965 11 +1.892
---
6 +1:01.945
---
30 1:17.304
---
Dunlop  
blito
 Nessuna Speranza
Ferrari 512 F1 1965 15 +2.282
---
7 +1:12.517
---
30 1:17.425
---
Dunlop  
il_lupo_mannaro
 Black Night Racing
Ferrari 512 F1 1965 5 +0.968
---
8 (+12) +1L
---
29 1:16.471
---
Dunlop  
NHance
 Mountside Racing
Brabham BT11 (Climax) F1 1965 2 +0.585
---
9 +6.322
---
29 1:16.989
---
Goodyear  
maddog
 Antipasti Racing
Cooper T77 (Climax) F1 1965 12 +2.183
---
10 (+2) +9.273
---
29 1:17.367
---
Dunlop  
karlisss

Honda RA272 F1 1965 9 +1.488
---
11 (+6) +24.128
---
29 1:16.705
---
Goodyear  
Nigel Smith
 HikiWazaRacing
Honda RA272 F1 1965 13 +2.236
---
12 (+3) +24.384
---
29 1:17.452
---
Goodyear  
happyal
 Clark-Hill Racing
Ferrari 512 F1 1965 8 +1.447
---
13 +24.841
---
29 1:17.527
---
Dunlop  
BadBlood
 HikiWazaRacing
Honda RA272 F1 1965 14 +2.267
---
14 +1:04.249
---
29 1:18.104
---
Goodyear  
vosblod
 Clark-Hill Racing
Cooper T77 (Climax) F1 1965 10 +1.685
---
15 +16L
---
14 1:17.166
---
Dunlop  
5 UKGPL.65

Lotus 33 (Climax 1965) F1 1965 16 DNS ---
---
Dunlop  

Moderator's Report

Albi proved very popular among drivers and they have asked for a swift return there. A simple track to learn but a difficult one to master, where a few tenths can mean starting at the wrong end of the grid.

We saw some incidents involving the first graduates from the Jethro Walters School Of Motoring, but hopefully they will follow their mentor's example by learning from their mistakes and penalties and improving their online race craft as Jethro has.

The enjoyable race has left everybody eager for the final showdown at Adelaide. As long as there is not a political revolt in the meantime that is.

Server replay time: 0h00m40s

Nigel moves to the left at the start and collects Paul.
Nigel can at no time see Paul in his mirrors, but knowing that a car has started on that side of the grid behind him, the car must be alongside so he should keep to his own side of the grid.

Server replay time: 0h00m50s

Fabio follows Norm and Ross to T1, but Norm lifts to follow Ross through rather than run around the outside of him.
Fabio appears to attempt a pass as he closes on Norm but he has no overlap and should have lifted to follow Norm.
Fabio clips Norm's right rear and spins him before being warped from the track.
Norm was slow on entry even though this was Lap 1 so I have mitigated that by removing one of the Penalty places from the very ambitious overtake rule because it was still Fabio's responsibility to avoid a collision having seen Norm and Ross battling for the corner.

Server replay time: 0h00m58s

Blito stays right to avoid the collision between Nigel and Paul.
Paul rejoins and can barely hear Blito alongside into T1.
As soon as Blito appears in his view Paul takes avoiding action but Blito seems to feel a contact and hits the stricken Norm.

• Racing incident

Server replay time: 0h02m50s

Blito appears to be lining up a pass on paul at Double Droite but Paul is unpredictable on the brakes.
He appears to block but it is a loss of control under braking which fortunately Blito manages to avoid.

• Racing incident

Server replay time: 0h03m10s

Martin attempts to pass Alistair on the inside at Virage Du Parc but he has no hope of making the pass successfully coming from so far back and having no overlap at all.
Martin had attempted a pass at Double Droite a few seconds earlier which he actually made until he ran out of track.
Alistair was always going to take the racing line and had every right to it.

Server replay time: 0h03m55s

Paul runs wide through T1 and is slow on the grass but recovers without spinning.
Blito had been following him closely and has now moved past, so when Paul retakes the track he moves to the racing line where Blito is.
Paul should have expected Blito to be there having seen him following him up to the incident.
The server shows no contact and Paul's car reacts violently suggesting warp is involved.
Only Paul was affected.

• Racing incident

Server replay time: 0h15m20s

Alistair is defending his position from an eager Blito while Fabio keeps a close eye on proceedings.
Alistair turns in to the final turn but Blito has got alongside in a valid passing attempt and he has actually got his nose in front at turn in.
Al may have been confused when he could still see a Ferrari in his mirrors but this was Fabio.

Server replay time: 0h19m10s

Vosblod attempts to pass Karliss at Virage Du Parc and the 2 collide.
Karliss is recovering from a slide at Double Droite and is getting back up to speed allowing Vosblod to get alongside. Vosblod keeps a tight line but Karliss turns in to him and takes the racing line where Vosblod is.
Karliss can see Vosblod in his mirrors on the straight leading up to the corner and moves over to leave him room.
When they reach the braking zone and the corner Karliss can no longer see Vosblod but he can hear him so he must be alongside and he should leave him room or risk a collision.
This incident shows the importance of being able to take a corner using alternate lines as in a race you cannot be sure of being on the racing line all of the time. It also shows the importance of being aware of what is around you, using sound as well as sight to learn where other cars are.

• karlisss (Karlisss-65)penalty — Simple Side By Side Contact — 1 place lost (plus 5 for penalty points)

Server replay time: 0h27m05s

Fabio attempts to pass Karliss in to Virage Du Parc but the two collide and spin.
Fabio has no overlap at turn in and comes from a long way back.
The fact that he can lap more quickly than Karliss at this stage of the race has no bearing on the incident and Karliss had every right to take the racing line.

Server replay time: 0h31m05s

Nigel passes Alistair around the outside of Double Droite and the 2 collide.
Alistair keeps a tight line through the fist and second apex but drifts wide on the exit and collects Nigel.

• Racing incident

Server replay time: 0h39m00s

Martin once again demonstrates his prowess at running out of fuel before the final corner.
Luckily this time he manages to take his Stop n Go before finishing the race.

• Racing incident

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
  Print  
Author Topic: UKGPL Season 20 (2010-2011) Novices Trophy (65) - Albi (1959-80) - Feb 22  (Read 11802 times)
karlisss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2011, 07:12:44 AM +0000 »

yes its me.
didnt se you. sorry. i already asked miner what to do in situation like this.
i know how to take this and most of corners in trajectory only, otherwise i go out track or spin most of time.
1.seems i have a long way to learn how to play GPL in correct and safe mode in online. But hope Novice races are for that.
2.also while i was a slowest car on track, i couldnt get penalty points cause i let pass everyone, just because them all fly away, but since my laptimes are faster
(albi is 5th race laptme :O ), real headakes started for me.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 07:35:29 AM +0000 by karlisss » Logged

GPLrank67 +39.5
GPLrank65 +44.5
http://www.karlisvitols.com
Hristo Itchov

There is no limit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2011, 08:23:44 AM +0000 »

Karlisss, you're most likely focusing too intensely on a specific thing while you're driving instead of keeping a broader attention to what goes on in general. Try to use your peripheral vision to keep a check on your mirrors and to the surrounding area of the car, and also look further up the road so you can react on time if there is an incident or a spun car in front. It's an issue with many people who're new to simracing, as they tend to keep their eyes firmly onto the frontend of the car and miss what's going on around them.

Also, your ears can give you a lot of clues of the position of the other cars, so try to listen for the engines of other cars. You will learn to recognize, just by sound, when a car is behind you or is side by side with you, and that combined with using your eyes and paying attention mentally, can help to have a good overall picture of a large area around your car.

And one more thing - try to develop a habit of checking up the mirrors in the same place on each lap, i.e. on the exit of a given corner. You can try to add more such places per lap and do it 2-3 times per lap, but try to do it at the same places every time and keep checking the mirrors even if there is nobody behind you.

Ross Neilson
UKGPL Divisional Moderator
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2011, 09:27:31 AM +0000 »

Had some issues connecting to the server so missed the early part of qually, I was hoping to get on the front row but had to settle for third in between Norm and Ronnie; we were all very close on time but Attilio blew us away (again!).

I knew Norm often struggles off the line and made a good getaway myself to be chasing Attilio into turn one. The first two or three laps were exciting as I was able to use the tow to stay in touch and try to apply some pressure. Then I made an error on lap four and dropped down to fifth. I spent the middle part of the race recovering past Norbert and Mike into third but that was all I could do.

I think I was slightly quicker than Ronnie but the gap was too big and I lost some time in traffic and to a late spin, again pushing too hard. I seem to be hitting my limit with the BT7 now and it just isn't quick enough Smiley

Congratulations to Attilio on another impeccable win, and to Ronnie for a good second place. Looking forward to the showdown in Adelaide.

Racing as Ross Neilson 65/66/69 for Clark-Hill Racing
happyal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2011, 09:47:55 AM +0000 »

Got a PB in Qual with the help of a tow from Giles27, thank you mate Smiley

Got a good start, had a chance to challenge Norbert but decided against it, as it would of been too big of a chance on the first lap, with cold tires etc. So I tried to settle into a race pace. I saw that Hunt was behind me, so I tried to keep a good distance, but he was quicker than me and was on my tail in no time. At the braking points I choose my line and suck to it, this worked fine for the corner at the end of the straight and I go a little gap going into the second, shorter straight. I took my normal line and saw that Hunt was too far behind to try an overtake, I was wrong as he did try it, I will leave it to the mods to sort out.

So from 6th to 9th I went, I had Blito behind me, again he was faster than me but I was confident I could keep him behind if I didn’t make any mistakes. I tried to re-settle into a good rhythm. Blito was right on my gearbox by now, I choose my lines and was doing fine, until the last corner. I made a small mistake where I was watching my mirrors and out braked myself a little, I thought I was still OK but Blito had gone for the gap and I ended up turning into him. Sorry about that, I feel a little silly now I’ve seen it again on my reply.

I think at this stage I think I was last, right behind Nigel and Badblood. I ended up in front of Nigel, I think he might of made a mistake, I can’t really remember how.  I think at this stage I was really annoyed with myself and my lines had gone all over the place, my lap times where really slow. This meant that Nigel was quicker than me was back on my tail in no time. I did what I had been doing most of the race and taking defensive lines into the main overtaking points. Nigel got a great run on me at the end of the straight, I was on the inside and he took the outside line. At the second part of the corner we touched, looking at my reply I think it was a warp contact, I didn’t feel anything and was as far to the right as possible.

I caught up with Bad, I was getting a good run on him on the main straight. I pretty much got a perfect pass lined up, and was braking for the inside of the corner. No problems here apart from the wife thought this would be the perfect time to start chatting with me. I know I shouldn’t blame her but it was under control one moment and next thing I now I was spinning out. Now I was dead last.

Just to rub salt into it I saw Karliss taking a stop and go and coming out just in front of us. I think I had a chance to be ahead of him too. I was now in a 4 way fight, I was hanging onto the tail of the train and was trying to get a run on Nigel up the main straight. At about this time Bad made a mistake and spun, leaving us with a 3 way train with about 2 laps to go. I felt sorry for Bad as he had a good race. This is how it finished, I think myself and Nigel both tried a last minute push because all 3 of us crossed the line almost together, certainly the closest finished I’ve seen in GPL.

GPL65Rank = coming soon.....
GPL65v2Rank = +187.164
vosblod
Former UKGPL Moderators

can divide by zero

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2011, 01:19:33 PM +0000 »

didnt se you. sorry. i already asked miner what to do in situation like this.
Apology accepted, I was a bit miffed at the time.
As Hristo mentions knowing what's going on around you is one of the most important things. Earlier on I had some great fun, in the main because people kept it safe but still raced. One thing that helps me is to practice taking different lines, that way you can vary how you take a corner if you are in a head to head situation.

PS: Just to mention it's not all doom and gloom, I think you've come along really well and could be a contender next season. Don't get too disheartened about picking up penalties, the system is there to help drivers improve their racecraft (if they are willing) however it may seem.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 02:53:13 PM +0000 by vosblod » Logged
NHance

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2011, 02:10:05 PM +0000 »

Qually Good.........Race Bad

After the fireball of turn 1 I was last but caught up. It took many laps to get past Bad Blood who played fair & used his Honda Power to good effect. One to forget I think.

Norm H
Artiglietti

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2011, 05:03:50 PM +0000 »

I was rather worried before the race, since due to the layout of the track even starting from pole I would have been easy prey of a more powerful car on the long straight before DD. So, I was strangely happy to see (er..hear, actually) it was Ross who was following me after the start. When he spun after a few laps, I only just managed to stay on the road while watching what was going on in the mirrors. At that stage I had Ronnie behind me, but the gap was already just above that crucial 2 secs threshold, so that he couldnt really get a decent tow from my car, and I was able to use those few tenths I had up my sleeve to keep him at bay for the rest of the race, if only just.

At the end I thought I had racked up a solid amount of points over Ross, but he and his buzzing thing had managed to recover to the last step of the podium, although not without a truly titanic battle with team mate Mike... Wink

That gives us the mother of all showdowns at Adelaide, where whoever finishes ahead takes it all. No pressure there! Grin Grin

Grats to the podium boys, see you in 2 weeks.
BadBlood
Former UKGPL Moderators

Sassafrassarassum Rick Rastardly!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2011, 06:27:25 PM +0000 »

Qually Good.........Race Bad

After the fireball of turn 1 I was last but caught up. It took many laps to get past Bad Blood who played fair & used his Honda Power to good effect. One to forget I think.

Norm H

yeh, sorry about that Norm. Bit pointless ruining your race given I finished last:( but I enjoyed it at the time Cheesy

BadBlood

aka

Angel Moose angel
GPLRank +71.5ish Smiley
GPL65Rank +71.1ish Smiley
Other ranks? Middlin' Slowish Wink
Ronniepeterson

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2011, 06:41:25 PM +0000 »

While Attilio probably appreciated me finishing ahead of Ross I also have sympathy and respect for anyone buzzing around in that BT7. For myself I just could not get a really clean lap in during qualifying but was happy to start 4th. In hindsight my sluggish start meant I avoided the mayhem at the first corner with least two cars stepping out of the way for me. Fortunately for the championship this did not involve Attilio and Ross, but I would be ling if I said I was not slightly disappointed when I glanced up at Prib (sorry guys). While they squabbled for the first few laps I set off in pursuit of them and was making some progress when I came upon Ross recovering from a spin. Unfortunately for him I know at least Mike was not far behind me so he would have his work cut out getting back to me let alone Attilio. I had a go at chasing down the speedy Cooper but it was mission impossible. He had the speed and I was caught in no mans land with no tow for pretty much the rest of the race. I settled for second and settled into a steady pace while monitoring the progress of Ross behind me. Hats off to anybody I passed, even when involved in their own battles I was treated well. While I had a lonely race I still think this is a great track for racing and I hope we return sooner rather than later. Best of luck to both of you for the final race.
maddog

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2011, 07:25:23 PM +0000 »

My race was destined to be a disaster, from the moment I arrived.  The car lacked basic grip, and at a track, with so little time separating the pack, this was a recipe for impediment.

I struggled to get a position at the rear of the grid, and soon found myself challenging HappyAl through the frantic opening laps.  The door was shut firmly in my face a couple of times, but I confess to committing an error, and understeering into his rear wheel at the entrance to Virage du Parc, where we briefly parked.  Sorry Alistair - we must stop meeting like this! :'(  

Carried on without too much debris, but started seeing red, again!  At one point, I had a trio of squabbling Ferrari's occupying my path to victory.  I actually managed to pass all 3, during their discussions at one particular corner.  But my car soon decided things were going too well, and swapped ends on me.  Thereafter, I was doomed to follow Blito in, you guessed it, his Ferrari.  I managed to draw alongside once, in a fair fight, but he was just a bit too good.

Not my best performance, but I noticed an interesting thing about these cars . . . they look so much better in my mirrors - especially Ferrari's! Tongue
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 07:28:00 PM +0000 by maddog » Logged
NHance

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2011, 08:04:06 PM +0000 »

Bad Blood - you were not ruining my race you were fighting to hold a legitimate position which you had earned. You have to use all the means you have which in this case was the superior power of the Honda.  Ok sometimes I have mentioned about deliberately letting others through but that is because I was playing the long game of trying to secure the highest possible position in the championship. Points for say 4th or 5th are better than a crash & points for 14th. That's all gone now anyway.

Norm H

blito
UKGPL Asst Divisional Moderator
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2011, 08:08:25 PM +0000 »

Thereafter, I was doomed to follow Blito in, you guessed it, his Ferrari.  I managed to draw alongside once, in a fair fight, but he was just a bit too good.

I`m flattered! I`ve never been described as "too good" before" Smiley

Now then, to put across my version of last nights action...

Paul - I will be generous and agree that i was in your blind spot on both occasions, however i will say that Hristos advice to Karliss a few posts ago might help you prevent making the same mistake again.  A few laps after our clash. I found myself in the reverse of the situation, with Fabio in my blind spot. I knew roughly where he was and that I needed to give him space. Note that it didnt end with a crash. Also, Paul, when I attempted to pass you at the end of the straight on lap 2, I was fully aware of your impending loss of control and was able to avert a potential accident.
Hristo, would have been proud of me!

Al - another blind spot issue, but perhaps excusable seeing as Fabio was right with us too and there was a lot to take in. It was great to have four cars all battling it out so close though.. bloody good fun.

Martin -  LoL !!!! You might have been fast last night, but boy, you were wobbly! Still, was great fun and somehow we kept it clean! It was good racing with you Smiley

karliss - I know you`ve been getting some flak lately for penalties but when I passed you last night you seemed very aware of what was going on and avoided the urge to close the door on me.... You doin all right Kid Cheesy

Oh and a special mention to Nhance for the comedy burning car at L1 T1 ... couldnt resist giving you a little nudge Wink

Roll on adelaide!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 08:10:27 PM +0000 by blito » Logged

Jason Blito
Hristo Itchov

There is no limit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2011, 08:21:30 PM +0000 »

Also, Paul, when I attempted to pass you at the end of the straight on lap 2, I was fully aware of your impending loss of control and was able to avert a potential accident.
Hristo, would have been proud of me!

I sure am, in fact I think that proves you're ready to move up to Amateurs (which BTW I hope would be renamed to something else next season, lol)!  Grin

vosblod
Former UKGPL Moderators

can divide by zero

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2011, 08:51:20 PM +0000 »

(which BTW I hope would be renamed to something else next season, lol)!  Grin
All suggestions on a postcard to other Tim although I will veto WazasRule Division Grin
Hristo Itchov

There is no limit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2011, 09:03:45 PM +0000 »

Hmm, OK then... how about HERdivision?  Grin

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com