by SimRacing.org.uk   

Read this first!    

nonchalant-unilinear
April 29, 2024, 01:43:54 PM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Downloads Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: FFB Wheel  (Read 7618 times)
Adam Parle
« on: December 05, 2005, 05:10:29 PM +0000 »

I'm currently using a Saitek R440 FFB wheel, but I'm getting a bit annoyed with it.  The problem is driving down the straights, the wheel "wobbles" left and right (and makes a heck of a racket with it!), it's not particularly smooth, but it does the job.

As I'm really getting back into racing, and am looking to get into the GTL league when it starts up (and hopefully the next GTR Sprint season), I'm toying with the idea of getting a Logitech MOMO Racing Force wheel.  Just wanted to get some opinions on it really.

I like the Saitek wheel on the whole, but I would like more sturdy pedals with more resistance (although the Siatek design is superb pedal wise), and a smoother driving action.  I'm not fussed about the stickshift on the Logitech offering (much prefer flappy paddles), but I've read you can swap the side of the steering wheel the stickshift is on....Is it possible to remove it entirely?

Any thought's would be appreciated before I go and part with any of my hard-earned money!
fozzmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2005, 06:03:18 PM +0000 »

Either Momo black or DFP (slightly better) are about the best commercial mass produced wheels, Watford had both in the 60 something price range when I looked

I am selling my Virtual Roadster cockpit on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320742210327 / https://www.simracing.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=9771.0
iRacing = Matthew Forrester
Adam Parle
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2005, 08:48:44 PM +0000 »

Cheers for that.

Just had a look - the DFP is listed under PS2 rather than PC, is it just going to be a question of downloading the relevant drivers off the net for the PC?  Might ask the wife to sort me out with one as a Christmas present ... we shall see!
PaulW

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2005, 09:00:35 PM +0000 »

Yup, crazy they don't adjust this in the literature, but the DFP fully supports the PC with the disc that comes in the box. Fantastic wheel, with metal gearing that should last a bit longer than the Momos.

Give a man a fish- he'll eat for a day. But give him a fishing rod and... he'll break it up for firewood, or just possibly, swap it for a fish.
Aagramn
Former Moderators

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2005, 10:07:12 PM +0000 »

I had a Momo and was pretty pleased with it until the pedals broke, just after it went out of warranty. There were a lot of problems with the Momo pedals losing calibration originally, but I think they eventually fixed this. I now have a DFP which I think is a slightly better wheel, and I find the extra buttons useful.

Team Shark

GT Rank Name: Michael Bennett

The correct procedure is brake-swear, not swear-brake.
fozzmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2005, 11:13:52 PM +0000 »

I had a Momo and was pretty pleased with it until the pedals broke, just after it went out of warranty. There were a lot of problems with the Momo pedals losing calibration originally, but I think they eventually fixed this. I now have a DFP which I think is a slightly better wheel, and I find the extra buttons useful.

All pedals that come with commercial wheels suck, and _then_ they brake

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320742210327 / https://www.simracing.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=9771.0
codsworth

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2005, 11:29:48 PM +0000 »

Hi Adam,

Just to let you know I went through exactly the same dilemma about which of the two wheels to get, so you know what I did?.....I phoned logitech Head office & asked them which of there wheels was the best... the one they would definately choose to represent them as there premium wheel of choice! They said the Momo Racing without hesitation! I still wanted more convincing because I wanted to be sure I was getting the best they had to offer so I asked this very helpful member of staff to ask the same question to one of there longer standing colleagues & I got the same answer again "The Momo racing force feedback whee!l"

I've since bought the momo & I absolutely love it! It reaks quality!

I haven't tried the DFP so I can't comment on that but i've heard great things.

I'm sure you'll love which ever you choose.

cheers,

codsworth
Adam Parle
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2005, 10:02:44 AM +0000 »

Cheers all, will look at getting the DFP (and try to flog my R440 to a mate who's not got a FFB wheel yet) .... That'll keep me going for a while.
Adam Parle
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2005, 10:11:57 AM +0000 »

Just remembered what else I was going to ask:  Roll Eyes

My computer desk is an "L" shaped job from Ikea, my monitor is set up in the corner, and my wheel is sat on the curved corner bit, am I going to have any issue clamping the wheel to the desk?  I've not got a problem with my current wheel because it's footprint is tiny!

Also, haven't seen anything detailing the length of the cables for the MOMO, would anyone be able to shed some light on this?

Cheers again.
Mark J
Incident Moderators

Legend in his own lunchtime

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2005, 11:34:42 AM +0000 »

Having just recently upgraded my Logitech force wheel to a DFP, i'd say go for the DFP, its a great bit of kit, it gives really good feedback and has loads of buttons to configure for your different options like 'pit-in', headlights, rev-limiter etc. I got it for about £60-ish from e-buyer....a bargain as they were about £90-100 a few months ago. It's been fab so far.
Dont know about your desk setup but the clamping on it was way better than my old wheel which had a habit of coming off the desk whilst in mid turn Roll Eyes
The pedals felt a little lightweight to me at first but you soon get used to them, though i find i cant wear anything on my feet heavier than my 'racing-slippers' Grin ....but then i'm used to a monster clutch pedal on the TVR Cool

mo
Former Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2005, 11:52:19 AM +0000 »

Just remembered what else I was going to ask:  Roll Eyes

My computer desk is an "L" shaped job from Ikea, my monitor is set up in the corner, and my wheel is sat on the curved corner bit, am I going to have any issue clamping the wheel to the desk?  I've not got a problem with my current wheel because it's footprint is tiny!

How's you carpentry skills?  Grin
Adam Parle
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2005, 12:59:41 PM +0000 »

How about NO!

I'd rather not take a hacksaw/bandsaw/chisel or any other instrument of torture (for wood) to my desk!!!!  I've been looking online at the clamp arrangement for the DFP, and I should be alright.  The sweep of the desk isn't that severe that it should cause any problems, I'm fairly sure I'll be able to use it without any problems.

And if desk mutilation was required....I'd say thanks but no thanks, and stick it on my other computer desk I've got downstairs with a nice straight edge.....

.....but thanks for your input!   Grin

Incidentally, if anyones knows of a few decent photos of the clamping setup etc that'd be good just for peace of mind, but I'm fairly sure now that it won't be an issue.
fozzmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2005, 02:21:18 PM +0000 »

I can photo a Momo Black

Adam Parle
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2005, 03:18:29 PM +0000 »

Don't the black and the DFP have slightly different arrangements?  Reading up on it, it appears that the black has a triple-clamp affair, whereas the DFP just has two.  Don't bother uploading the photo, just wondering if anyone could link to something for it.  I'm confident it'll be fine....just need to get on and get racing. Smiley
mo
Former Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2005, 05:01:08 PM +0000 »

How about NO!

I'd rather not take a hacksaw/bandsaw/chisel or any other instrument of torture (for wood) to my desk!!!!  I've been looking online at the clamp arrangement for the DFP, and I should be alright.  The sweep of the desk isn't that severe that it should cause any problems, I'm fairly sure I'll be able to use it without any problems.

And if desk mutilation was required....I'd say thanks but no thanks, and stick it on my other computer desk I've got downstairs with a nice straight edge.....

.....but thanks for your input!   Grin

Incidentally, if anyones knows of a few decent photos of the clamping setup etc that'd be good just for peace of mind, but I'm fairly sure now that it won't be an issue.

I was only joking right.

Just wanted to clear that up coz you're starting to sound scary with the DIY tools and various instruments of torture  Tongue
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com