Read this first!    

nonchalant-unilinear
April 29, 2024, 03:36:19 AM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Downloads Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: GTR2 Online collision tweak  (Read 1918 times)
Truetom

Ljubljana, Slovenia

View Profile
« on: May 25, 2011, 10:08:44 AM +0100 »

Did we talk about this?
From NoGrip forums

"Here is a little thing you can do to your (user name.PLR) file to help reduce the crazy car flying up in the air when a collision occurs between yours and anothers car online. This problem, and fix, was in NASCAR SIM by EA Sports also. The problem is that the internet creates latency that varies from player to player. The "server" tries to manage the "collision threshold" between vehicles. As a collision occurs, the server has to decide "when" contact will occur, and cause a visible in game reaction. Sometimes though, due to "lag" the cars actually "blend" together. As this happens, and the server then decides to have contact occur, a rather violent reaction occurs, thus the crazy antics of the cars. So I have altered my file to accomodate a slightly larger "threshold" to help the server account for lag, and make the collisions more realistic! First make a copy of your PLR file, and put it somewhere safe. Then open it in notepad, scroll down to MULTIPLAYER OPTIONS. and change just the following lines, to the values shown here. This will not cause online mis-matches!!

BoneSpring Threshold="1.00000" // If latency is below this threshold, the spring is disabled
BoneSpring Min Constant="25.00000" // BoneSpring(TM) constant at collision threshold
BoneSpring Max Constant="125.00000" // BoneSpring(TM) constant at spring enact latency (should be higher than constant min...)

Make sure there are 5 zero's after each decimal, and also make sure to keep the quotation marks intact. That's it, now go racing online, and see if your car behaves better with others! (like a kid, lol) If you have any questions, please PM me, and I will be glad to help.

This is a beta test. Several of us tried it last night(9/2/07), and no matter how hard and fast we hit the others cars, they stayed on the ground 99.9 % of the time. Others, who did not have the fix applied, faithfully caught serious "air". Some collisions, due to speed and angle will cause "air time" anyhow, but for the most part it seemed rather succesfull. I would also love to have some constructive feedback, here in this thread.
.....10/7/07.... We have been using this now for about a month, at NAGP, and 99% of the people trying it have reported it as a sucess!! SO if we can get more folks online to use it, car physics should be a tad more realistic.

Phil

PS .............Don't forget to back up your PLR file first!"
H@L9000
Director, UKGTR
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 02:12:49 PM +0100 »

I have heard of this before, they used to use it on the gamers crib.

However, I am not sure that it is worth doing. I believe that every car in a server will need this change done or it makes the problem worse. The problem that is prevents is so rare that it is more probable that we would see problems from some drivers not remembering to do this rather than the 'cars flying up in the air' bug. I have only ever been involved in contact that caused a car to fly in the air twice in all the hours that I have played GTR2 and that is a lot. One of those times was on the gamers crib server and the other driver had made these changes, here is a vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mx0tdITnt58

If I had made the changes, as we are supposed to on the crib servers I believe, then the bug probably would not have happend that time.

I suspect if some drivers do it and some do not, we would see more flying cars.

Leave it how it is I reckon. Smiley
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 02:14:30 PM +0100 by H@L9000 » Logged

Open the Pod Bay door please H@L...
Truetom

Ljubljana, Slovenia

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 06:09:30 PM +0100 »

Cool, my RAM is limited, so I wasn't sure if we were over this before. Cheesy
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com