Quarterly cost: �0

April 20, 2024, 10:45:46 AM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
S4455GPP
S4455GPW
S4466CA
S4467F1P
S4467F1W
S4467F2A
S4467F2P
S44JSMT
Recent
S44JSMT Goodwood (Circ…
S44JSMT Boreham Airfie…
S4455GPP Roy Hesketh (…
S4455GPW Roy Hesketh (…
S4466CA Bathurst
Forthcoming
S4467F1P Mont-Tremblant
S4467F1W Mont-Tremblant
S4467F2P Snetterton (L…
S4467F2A Snetterton (L…
S4455GPP Reims (1954-7…
S4455GPW Reims (1954-7…
S4466CA Michigan

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Linked Events
  • S21His Sachsenring: July 05, 2011
July 05, 2011, 11:10:11 PM +0100 - Sachsenring (1927-72) - UKGPL Season 21 (2011) Historic (66)
Driver
 Team
Nat. Make Model Class Qualifying Race
Tyres Pos Time/Gap Pos Time/Gap Laps Stops Best Retirement
reason
Ballast
Hristo Itchov
 HikiWazaRacing
Lotus 33 (Climax 1966) F1 1966 3 1 49:26.717
118.499mph
18 2:42.189
120.419mph
Firestone  
FullMetalGasket
 Black Night Racing
Brabham BT11 (Climax 2.5) F1 1966 2 2 +12.339
118.008mph
18 2:43.307
119.595mph
Goodyear  
EvilClive
 HikiWazaRacing
Brabham BT11 (BRM V8) F1 1966 4 3 +1:01.284
116.101mph
18 2:45.951
117.690mph
Goodyear  
G Jonsson
 Black Night Racing
Brabham BT11 (Climax 2.7) F1 1966 6 4 +1:39.510
114.653mph
18 2:48.335
116.023mph
Goodyear  
Rainier

Brabham BT11 (Climax 2.7) F1 1966 9 5 +2:31.210
112.752mph
18 2:51.425
113.931mph
Goodyear  
maddog
 Antipasti Racing
Ferrari 246 F1 1966 8 6 +6L
111.357mph
12 2:52.211
113.411mph
Disco
Firestone  
fpolicardi
 Team7
Ferrari 246 F1 1966 14 7 +0.680
111.321mph
12 2:49.962
114.912mph
Disco
Firestone  
Phil Thornton
 Antipasti Racing
Ferrari 246 F1 1966 11 8 +8L
108.875mph
10 2:53.181
112.776mph
Disco
Firestone  
BadBlood
 HikiWazaRacing
Ferrari 246 F1 1966 15 9 +4:33.469
94.473mph
10 3:11.539
101.967mph
Disco
Firestone  
bernie
 Soggy Bottom Racers Club
Lotus 33 (Climax 1966) F1 1966 10 10 +13L
101.344mph
5 3:04.437
105.894mph
accident
Firestone  
Raoni Frizzo
 Team Coyote
Brabham BT11 (Climax 2.7) F1 1966 5 11 +18L
---
0 ---
---
Disco
Goodyear  
s2173

Eagle T1F (Climax) F1 1966 12 12
---
0 ---
---
Disco
Goodyear  
HendyNichols

BRM P261 (1966) F1 1966 7 13
---
0 ---
---
Disco
Goodyear  
JonnyO
 Team Coyote
Lotus 33 (BRM) F1 1966 13 14
---
0 ---
---
Disco
Firestone  
2 UKGPL_T7

Brabham BT11 (Climax 2.7) F1 1966 1 15 DNS ---
---
Goodyear  

Moderator's Report

On to Germany. The Sachsenring which is now only used by the bikes, but in heavily modified form. The meeting starts badly when the server crashes after a fairly hectic qualifying where the usual suspects were to the fore. We then had to join in order to build a grid as we had no time to repeat qualifying. This sort of worked but one or two sneaked in early to get a better view of the flag man, but to single out Bernie would be cruel, so I won’t.
Tim found himself in pole despite joining second and he and H streaked away, closely followed by Raoni and Clive. The others were a little slower starting and Hendy, in particular, found it hard to get the wheels spinning. Bernie led the ‘also rans’ into the town and livened things up by spinning. This left Skymole with nowhere to go and that is where he ended up going – nowhere. Wheel off, end of race. JJonny O was cautious coming to the accident which allowed Badblood to get a run through the carnage and make up a few places. Unfortunately as he passed JJO the Brazilans car exploded and spun ‘Molasses’* Badblood’s car. The track seemed particularly sensitive to the slow moving Ferrari, as we shall see. Hendy has threaded his way through and joined the midfield but his lap is to be short as he fails to handle the compression to turns after the nasty left handed Jugend bend. He will probably be disappointed to have lost it after handling the most difficult part of the course but the pine trees are unforgiving and his spin is terminal.
He is probably not as disappointed as Raoni who has spun in exactly the same place a few seconds earlier giving Goran an almighty fright. Tim, H and Clive are gone. Clive is slightly slower than the speedy front pair. The pace that H and Tims are setting is hot, which is all the more impressive as they are battling in close company. H has taken the lead through slipstream but Tim immediately comes back but is unable to defend down the long back straight and H leads as Lap 1 finishes. The lap is a relatively long one of 2:45 (for some) plus. This means that the field strings out fairly quickly.
Up front Hristo, Tim with Clive a little bit back and Goran, in touch, but definitely slower. A midfield led by Martin Hunt with Dave Rainier, Phil Thornton and Fulvio Policardi and in the battle of the milk floats, Bernie (having reasserted the natural order) leading a floundering Badblood.
The only close battle for the first few laps is the one at the front. And what a battle it is. Lap 2 and the order is maintained and Tim has no sniff of a chance but as Lap 3 winds down he takes a wide line coming to the finish and tries to slingshot round Mr Itchov. Nothing doing but on Lap 4 after more close running, H makes a small mistake at the last turn and this time the wide line works and Tim is through.
Lap 5 and the leaders catch Badblood in the forest. Both slip by easily. Clive has been losing a second or two each lap and it is vital because he catches the moving chicane at the wrong place and a nasty spin ensues despite there being no contact. The Ferrari sensitive contact box has struck again. Clive just maintains third from a fast closing Goran.
The two of them catch BB in the town and this time he leaves LOTS of room.
Lap 6 and H and Tim are still going hammer and tongs. The midfield is steady but Bernie has left us. Nine remaining.
Lap 7 and Tim still has the advantage but the pressure tells and he clips a kerb in the outskirts of the town, letting H through. They resume their nose to tail battle.
Lap 9 – this is vital because if you get to ten, you score points. At the start of this one H leads FMG but both have the same time. Clive is thirty seconds behind and Goran a further ten back. Martin dips under 24 minutes and he is closely followed by Dave Rainier and Fulvio. Phil is thirty seconds shy of that lot with BB just nine seconds (and a lap) down on Phil.
At the town boundary, Martin brakes too hard for the speed cameras and spins letting Dave through. This puts Fulvio in his exhaust pipes and he chases hard. Up ahead H gets sideways at the chicane (nice to know that everyone finds it tricky). Has Tim’s pressure finally told. Has H cracked. Nope. Next lap and H outbrakes Tim at the very same chicane. Tim slipstreams the Bulgarian and H touches the grass which lets the Full Metal flyer through. He is very hot into Jugend and gets out of shape and H keeps it nice and tidy to get alongside. Tim has the racing line but H has the inside and discretion is the better part of valour as H takes the lead again. This is almost a carbon copy of the clash between Fulvio and Martin on the previous where Mr Hunt has made a mess of the difficult left hander and Fulvio has had to do no more than keep it pointing in the right direction.
These are the two best battles on the track. Tim and H have a fantastic scrap all the way to the line but Mr Itchov has the best of it and starts to build a lead.
Fulvio and Martin have a synchronised spinning lesson at the chicane with Martin spinning on the way in and Fulvio on the way out. Unfortunately Mr Policardi has the extra half turn with pike and it costs him his place. Dave has built a fourteen second lead by just being neat and tidy and Phil is comfortable behind. Badblood has managed to secure some points (although not before several spins and nearly taking Goran out for a dance at Jugend). Lap 12 and Martin and Fulvios syncrho slippy stuff is repeated at the entrance to the town but they both continue as before.
Phil meantime has successfully negotiated Jugend for the eleventh time but inexplicably hits the grass and gets in a tangle with some pesky 2-D spectators. Badblood has not noticed this and having completed ten laps decides he will show what he can do now – he has been lapping on average at 3:24 and his PB is 3:02. The cautious approach has paid dividends but now it is time to really show the world... he buries it in the haybales at the chicane thus REALLY showing the world what he is capable of. Had he but known...
Up ahead Martin and Fulvio have another squabble at the town boundary and this time it is terminal. 13th lap and we are down to five. H and Tim are still in close quarters but not quite as close as it was and Clive, Goran and Dave have settled into 3rd, 4th and 5th respectively.
Lap 16 and Tim finally makes a mistake at the chicane (did it catch everyone out) and the battle is over. He continues but some way down the road of the nippy leader. He has nothing to fear from Clive who just can’t quite match the Muttram pace and so they come home in the same order.
Amazing battle between Hristo and Tim (again) with Clive a bit scruffy but a worthy podium.
Driver of the day? I was tempted to pick myself but having nearly taken out Clive, Goran and definitely biffing Jonny, it can’t be. Especially as the lap times made it look like I was on a Sinclair C5.
So the real driver of the day is Dave Rainier. Unspectacular but super steady and a great fifth place.
* as in, as slow as Molasses!

Paul "Badblood" Whitfield

No incidents reported and no L1 penalties BUT a general caution approaching incidents would be nice.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: UKGPL Season 21 (2011) Historic (66) - Sachsenring (1927-72) - Jul 5  (Read 7870 times)
BadBlood
Former UKGPL Moderators

Sassafrassarassum Rick Rastardly!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2011, 11:45:02 AM +0100 »

So you lapping in 2:05 then Tim Cheesy

BadBlood

aka

Angel Moose angel
GPLRank +71.5ish Smiley
GPL65Rank +71.1ish Smiley
Other ranks? Middlin' Slowish Wink
BadBlood
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2011, 06:20:42 PM +0100 »

Oh dear - screen freeze on UKGPL3 - don't think its latency... that server is in my loft!

BadBlood

aka

Angel Moose angel
GPLRank +71.5ish Smiley
Hristo Itchov

There is no limit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2011, 06:48:49 PM +0100 »

Never seen freeze problems with this track.

s2173

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2011, 07:19:47 PM +0100 »

I had screenfreeze yesterday at UKGPL3, but I checked "toss bigger mips" at Gem... that usially fixes it for me.

Who is the living, loving city of people without faces? The elevator is screaming in his claws.

The Red City, 43 Novctober 2173.
FullMetalGasket
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2011, 09:47:43 PM +0100 »

Span at KTS chasing H then had a Black screen on lap 3 having climbed back to 4th  Sad
blito
UKGPL Asst Divisional Moderator
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2011, 09:50:00 PM +0100 »

yeah - server crashed out on lap three ...

Jason Blito
Hristo Itchov

There is no limit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2011, 09:51:51 PM +0100 »

Span at KTS chasing H then had a Black screen on lap 3 having climbed back to 4th  Sad

Server crashed so we're going to start again, entering by qualifying positions - hope you come on time!

jhalli

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2011, 10:15:18 PM +0100 »

disconnected from the server when 0 min on quali time left, no change to get back in time.

needed to reset my modem to get back connection. Undecided
bernie

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2011, 09:11:04 AM +0100 »

Fully unprepared for this track , I had raced here before but not with 66mads ! Forgot what a sod it is and spent practise trying  varieties of ride heights dampers and bumpers , but whatever I tried,  my Lotus seemed to leap around like a mad lemming

Suprised to have lasted 5 laps , could have driven more carefully for a finish but with the re start putting me higher up the order I could smell Phil's exhaust fumes and thinking he might be company for 18 laps I decided to give chase but I overtook my driving talent instead

Spent the rest of the race watching the very close fight btw Tim and H which alone was worth the entrance fee , superb racing there chaps with some very talented moves witnessed (rest of the world take note how to race hard, close, and clean )  Smiley

Grats then to H T& E  (who also drove well for P3 )

P.S. Martin thanks for the entertainment , think you had as many offs as myself  but you survived the hardest of the haybales a little longer (dunno how )  Grin

maddog

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2011, 09:57:15 AM +0100 »

It was the best of times - it was the worst of times.  I've a very tenuous link on life on the track ATM.  My racing connections are tenuous, and I was fully expecting to get dropped again.  Rather surprised to find t'was not I, who lost the plot, at the first asking.

The dress rehearsal, made little difference to the main event.  Found myself again sauntering around in 5th, and expecting to disco at any mo.  A nice quiet cruise would've suited, but my pitboard told me, Dave had something else in mind. Wink

It's one of the mysteries of life, how a corner can be perfectly taken, 10 times out of ten, but the eleventh time, it bites you!  Such was the case, mid-race. Which meant, with Dave gone, I succumbed to a scrap with Fulvio, while bouncing my car off the scenery a couple of times.  Our luck ran out, when I attempted a smoke screen as he closed in, but fatally, forgot to move out of the way in time!  Entirely my fault.

The good news is, my connection lasted the race better than I did.  That is also the bad news.turned 
BadBlood
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2011, 10:29:10 AM +0100 »

You cheeky devil Bernie - you only got higher up the grid 'cos you joined early. Naughty boy!

I decided I was racing the track not the others and I can fairly easily lap around 3:05. As you can see from my fastest I was lapping well below that. My best is 3:00 but I wanted to get to a points scoring place. Made up loads of places on Lap 1 by carefully steering through the carnage and then some bugger tagged me. I waited until everyone had gone to avoid ANY potential contacts and set off. Hit the haybales on the outside of the chicane despite being careful and there and then decided to be ultra cautios and drive for a finish. So, tuned in Classic FM and settled down to a nice 35mph average...

It was hard to concentrate going so slowly and I had some spins - particularly in that bloody chicane. Anyway. Got to the magic 10th lap and thought - right now I can go for it... set a couple of blue sectors easily and then crashed at the chicane. Bugger. Should have just pootled round for three more laps.

Biggest challenge was staying out of the way of all the others and making sure that I got caught at points where people could pass easily. Had one worrying moment when Clive span in my mirrors and I thought 'Oh no, I've put him out'. To my relief he soon caught me up again and I made sure he had TONS of room. He went past sideways Cheesy

Enjoyed the practice more than the race but nice to get some points at last. More than doubled my total of laps completed as well.

Race report might be interesting as well.

BadBlood

aka

Angel Moose angel
GPLRank +71.5ish Smiley
FullMetalGasket
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2011, 12:14:05 PM +0100 »

Glad the server crashed in race one as I made a right old mess of it  Grin

Race 2 was odd, I joined the server to find Hristo already in there and then got given the pole spot when I went to the grid??
Decided there was nothing I could do about it now so decided that rather than trying the extra-ordinarily risky maneuver of letting H by on the start I'd let him have '1 free pass' and basically let him by - which he used on the run down to KTS  Grin

From there on (especially after Clive dropped back enough to stop worrying me) it was a great battle, I get the feeling that we were both pushing as hard as we dared in an attempt to see the flag first as we each made little mistakes quite frequently  Cheesy
We each took different approaches to setup here (again) as I had a very stiff setup that could take the compression at Heiterer Blick flat out without bottoming - H couldn't but as a result had slightly more grip to play with elsewhere while I was skating about!

We swapped places several times right up untill my first proper mistake, this was then compounded by a whole host of distractions going off in my room around me - not least of which was an alarm clock! (I'd been meaning to watch a film after the race, but the server crash ment it started while we had about 4 to go Sad ) This didn't exactly help me concentrate and catch H quickly!  Roll Eyes

Then just as I got back into my rythem (And I think possibly even closed the gap slightly) I span at KTS and parked facing the haybales  Embarrassed
Race now lost I made a quick 3 point turn and continued - my only hope being that H ran out of fuel or something  ninja

Sadly he didn't (I finished with about another 5laps of fuel for some reason!)

Anyway, well done on a desearved victory H, and well done for bringing it in 3rd Clive. Also congrats to all finishers  Smiley
Ronniepeterson

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2011, 03:55:43 PM +0100 »

Sorry I missed the rerun, rats!
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2011, 07:49:48 PM +0100 »

Well, I preferred the way things were looking in race 1 before the server had migraine!! 

After Tim tangled with the bales at the Esses on lap 1, he sort of glided out of my path and I swept through into 2nd spot behind Hristo whilst there was mayhem behind. I was in no great hurry and was more than content to sit a safe distance behind Hristo in case he had a "moment" on this unforgiving circuit. I was quite deliberately going easy, as I did not want to close the gap and was well ahead of the car in 3rd place, so I had my own bit of space . After the disco (which was greeted by some very choice words!! Roll Eyes, I was surprised when Hristo accused me of being a bit fast??!!

Race 2 was a little different as Tim did not have the decency to repeat his haybale testing move and insisted on racing Hristo instead. Again I was happy to sit a safe distance back and wait for mayhem ahead. I could see that they were having a very intense battle and frankly I thought that it would have to end in disaster for one or both of them. But they maintained their pace and their battle, nice driving guys, and I held my distance as the pace picked up.
Then I clipped a kerb quite heavily, and on the same lap I caught Paul on the long back straight . Not sure if there was some minor warping going on, or if Paul's car really was proving a handful, but I had a real problem deciding which side to pass... and I chose wrong!! lol. I thought I actually clipped Paul's rear wheel (but it seems that he felt nothing) and was bumped onto the grass. I regained the track just in front Of Goran and was able to get back up to speed and hold 3rd spot, but by now Hristo and Tim were a memory  Undecided,
From then until the end of the race the car was not handling quite so well and I was unable to push hard without risking everything, so I settled into a steady pace and hoped for the leaders to have a
 problem or run out of fuel, they didn't!!
Only a handful of finishers on a very tough track. Not tough to learn but very difficult to run at 100% I find. Big grats to Tim and Hristo for their high speed dice and to all those who finished.

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @    evilclive67
Rank   Only when I sweat
BadBlood
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2011, 10:11:29 AM +0100 »

and on the same lap I caught Paul on the long back straight. Not sure if there was some minor warping going on, or if Paul's car really was proving a handful, but I had a real problem deciding which side to pass... and I chose wrong!! lol.

Sorry about that Clive. I was very concerned when I saw you spin - I thought you first caught me in the outskirts of the town... I'll check the replay. I was just trying to stay out of the way TBH.

There are some really nasty blind crests and I actually went for a trip on the railway in practice - off the bridge approaching the last turn. It was bloody hard getting up the banking but I was impressed that the track builder had modelled the rails... Found it really hard to create a setup that rode OK and didnt keep bottoming out. In the end I settled for taking the compressions at around 20mph...

BadBlood

aka

Angel Moose angel
GPLRank +71.5ish Smiley
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com