by SimRacing.org.uk  

Read this first!    

April 18, 2024, 09:35:52 PM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Linked Events
  • i6n Spa: July 10, 2011
July 10, 2011, 05:30:00 PM +0100 - Spa (2007-) - iRacing Season 6 Nationwide NTM Cup - @iRacing.com
Driver
 Team
Nat. Make Model Class Qualifying Race
Tyres Pos Time/Gap Pos Time/Gap Laps Led Best Retirement
reason
Incidents
Mike Wrightson
 Team Shark
Chevrolet Impala COT B (#36) {unknown} 1 2:27.264
106.333mph
1 1:00:16.992
103.903mph
24 12 2:27.841
105.918mph
Goodyear 5
Dave 'Gizmo' Gymer
 Team Shark
Chevrolet Impala COT B (#36) {unknown} 2 +0.789
105.766mph
2 +25.495
103.176mph
24   2:27.660
106.048mph
Goodyear 2
Paul968
 Kerb Crawlers
Chevrolet Impala COT B (#36) {unknown} 3 +0.905
105.683mph
3 +26.363
103.151mph
24 12 2:27.150
106.415mph
Goodyear 14
Jamie Wilson
 FT-Ninecraft Racing
Chevrolet Impala COT B (#36) {unknown} 6 +4.730
103.024mph
4 +1:55.275
100.694mph
24   2:29.415
104.802mph
Goodyear 25
picnic
 Team Shark
Chevrolet Impala COT B (#36) {unknown} 5 +3.271
104.022mph
5 +2:04.344
100.450mph
24   2:29.887
104.472mph
Goodyear 12
Blunder
 Team Oldie Racing
Chevrolet Impala COT B (#36) {unknown} 7 6 +2:08.206
100.346mph
24   2:30.926
103.753mph
Goodyear 17
Bernie Lomax
 Legends Racing
Chevrolet Impala COT B (#36) {unknown} 4 +2.048
104.874mph
7 +20L 4   2:29.370
104.834mph
Disco
Goodyear 11
Burtoner
 Team Shark
Chevrolet Impala COT B (#36) {unknown} 8 8 +24L 0   ---
---
Disco
Goodyear  
purdie
 Legends Racing
Chevrolet Impala COT B (#36) {unknown} 10 9 0   ---
---
Disco
Goodyear  
Ben "Welling" Summers
 Phoenix Racing
Chevrolet Impala COT B (#36) {unknown} 9 10 0   ---
---
Disco
Goodyear  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: iRacing Season 6 Nationwide NTM Cup - Spa (2007-) - Jul 10  (Read 9651 times)
picnic
Director, Servers
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2011, 05:07:17 PM +0100 »

Hey I find it all difficult Sad I'm not very representative of anything much  laugh

Paul968
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2011, 08:39:52 PM +0100 »

I've set up a 2 hour practice session open to all. Feel free to join.
Paul968
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2011, 08:44:36 PM +0100 »

For some reason the session failed, but there is already a spa NTM session running so I suggest people try that.
Fred Basset
Incident Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2011, 09:58:50 PM +0100 »

Well at Paul's insistence I tried the Impala at Spa. Its a lot better here for me than Road America and I can stay on track for longer. I only did one 28 but they would be easy enough now and another half an hour would see 27's I think.

Finally I can start to appreciate NTM.

Regards
Gary
Blunder
iRacing Indycar Host
Incident Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2011, 09:23:42 AM +0100 »

omg.... managing a few 2.34's before the old snap oversteer sends me in the wall!
Getting easier but it's tough Sad

I'd rather be iRacing Ovals.... Smiley     iRacing id= Martin Mason
Paul968
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2011, 02:32:30 PM +0100 »

You have to be over-driving it Martin. With the basic road america setup you can drive round with quite a lot to spare and get under 2.30. You just need to make sure you enter the corner slow enough to get the line right and be able to get back on the power early. Diving into the corners late on the brakes doesn't work at all. Make sure that you change the steering ratio though - 12:1 seems much too twitchy to me, so I always turn it down to 16:1. Even then it is easy to put too much lock on. If you want a replay I'll post one up.

Burtoner

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2011, 08:54:40 PM +0100 »

any practice servers?

UKGPL Season 14 Club Champion
spanner
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Team Prodigy - UKGTR/UKAC

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2011, 10:09:39 PM +0100 »

Even i know that they they were stopped as many people didnt run them.

Learn to love the Pork Smiley

Team Prodigy - Just like Team Oldie only younger, faster, less grey hair and kinder to the environment!
Paul968
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2011, 10:48:24 PM +0100 »

not completely true spanner - they are run when there is enough demand. Not really enough in this case  :'( Wink
Paul968
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2011, 11:30:07 PM +0100 »

Well, that was more eventful than I expected! Felt comfortable in practice but qual just didn't work for whatever reason - overdriving I guess. Anyway, this left me 3rd on the grid behind Mike and Dave, both of whom had found extra pace. I was happy to take it easy at the start of the race and follow for a while, but Dave got a poor run through Blanchimont and I was able to slide down the inside into the new bus stop. A short while later Mike got it sideways on the exit of la source (too much curb I think) and by backing out of the throttle (as you now have to do to correct a slide with the NTM) let me past on the way down to eau rouge. After that I gradually eased out a gap over Mike as Dave was dropping back quite quickly, so that by the time we got to half distance I was about 8-9 secs ahead. I did consider not taking tyres but it would have been a risky strategy so I went for a new set. Mike pitted a lap or so before me, but when I came out the gap was around 10 secs so he must have changed as well. All I needed to do was bring it home from there, but the gods were not on my side tonight  Sad

On the run down to Pouhon I went to change the black box back to F3 but hit the wrong key. Suddenly I was transported out of the game and into email, which isn't a lot of use for controlling a racing car  Roll Eyes I tried to slow the car down and keep it in a straight line as I scrambled for the mouse to bring the game back, but while I was blind the car hit the barrier on the left a glancing blow before spinning to a stop (luckily) just before the barrier on the outside of Pouhon  sweatdrop The car was still quite driveable but I had the meatball flag and so had to pit again to repair the damage.

This didn't lose as much time as I expected but by then Mike was 45 secs up the road and Dave was also 25 ahead. I thought I had a chance to catch Dave in the 10 laps remaining so pushed as hard as I could to close the gap. He must have made a mistake at some point as he lost quite a few secs. As the laps ticked down I was closing in and finally caught him by lap 22. He then seemed to pick up the pace a fair bit, being quick in all the right places to keep me behind. By then my front tyres were overworked, which hurt my turn in to the crucial corners and Dave could hold his own at least down the next straight. We got quite close at Pouhon but this just made me lock up and kill the fronts even more. Dave was then able to keep it together and bring it home in 2nd - nice driving  Smiley Congrats also to Mike for the win. Thx to all who turned up to race and well done to all the finishers. I expected a high dropout rate but a good percentage made it to the flag.

I'm disappointed about the lack of drivers from outside, but perhaps they are put off by having to join the league? I have been in quite a few hosted sessions and there are certainly quite a few drivers out there who want to road race the ntm, but none of them made it here. Perhaps it would be better to just host them as open races next time?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 11:40:44 PM +0100 by Paul968 » Logged
Dave 'Gizmo' Gymer
Director General
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Currum auriga quasi furtivum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2011, 07:25:50 AM +0100 »

but Dave got a poor run through Blanchimont and I was able to slide down the inside into the new bus stop. A short while later Mike got it sideways on the exit of la source

I thought I was that slow through there every lap. laugh

Mike's little indiscrection there looked like quite a big moment from where I was sat. Shocked Cheesy

He must have made a mistake at some point as he lost quite a few secs.

Yeah - when the gap was 20+ seconds I was confident that I could finish ahead, but then going into Les Combes I got the line wrong by some miniscule amount and the front got away from me, slithering off and brushing the barriers. After that I had to start pushing much harder - at one pount the rears were going away quite badly and I had to slow down again for a few laps. Well chuffed to get a 27 at last!

I'm disappointed about the lack of drivers from outside, but perhaps they are put off by having to join the league? I have been in quite a few hosted sessions and there are certainly quite a few drivers out there who want to road race the ntm, but none of them made it here. Perhaps it would be better to just host them as open races next time?

Or post the password in the iRacing forums, which at least means we won't get random "hosted surfers" dropping in and then dropping out (or worse).

Results now up. Smiley

To finish first, first you must have fins.
Mike Wrightson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2011, 09:23:17 AM +0100 »

A short while later Mike got it sideways on the exit of la source (too much curb I think) and by backing out of the throttle (as you now have to do to correct a slide with the NTM) let me past on the way down to eau rouge.
Yeah, I think I was just on the wrong bit of kerb.  It was suddenly a bit pointy going into Eau Rouge too  Shocked

I really couldn't stay with your pace, the setup could be better but I think I'm running too much steering lock at 14:1.  It wasn't until you went off in a cloud of smoke after the stops that I got the lead again, I just had to drive round after that.  That's bad because I nearly binned it with a lapse of concentration, and went for a trip over the grass at Les Combes  Roll Eyes

This car really isn't the best thing in road racing, but it now has grip, it turns, you can feel what it's doing.  Can't wait to try the NTM on a proper road racer. Smiley

Team Shark!
picnic
Director, Servers
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2011, 09:40:53 AM +0100 »

Not sure I'm so enthused with the NTM Mike Sad Agree that when the tyres are cold or at operating temperature the model feels better but I can't understand the total loss of all grip when one gets just a little hotter. Ok,  I've never driven a slick shod car so have no RW experience but it just doesn't seem right. It appears only a very small mistake is enough to flip the grip switch to.

I lucked in last night when I had my inevitable trip to make friends with a shiny section of armco. It was lap 6 and by filling the tank up to the brim at the required stop (got the old meatball) I had just enough fuel to make the 24th and final race lap. Don't think I would have made another!

It was a shame about the turnout, although would have been better if the 3 who practiced had raced. Might have given me something more to worry about rather than lapping on my own hoping someone ahead would make a mistake and let me catch up. Made it to the end which I never expected before the event.

Paul968
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2011, 11:04:47 AM +0100 »

I thought I was that slow through there every lap. laugh

I think you were quicker at the end, but I was also starting to overwork the front tyres which gave me too much understeer - I was definitly slower through Blanchimont as a result.

I really couldn't stay with your pace, the setup could be better but I think I'm running too much steering lock at 14:1

I use 16:1 as I find 14 a bit too twitchy. I also think that you need less lock than it seems to get optimum grip, so less pointy steering helps find the sweet spot.

As far as setup is concerned, I just raced with the basic setup in the end (with the brake bias back a bit). I knew that the advanced setup could get a bit squirrelly later in a run and the basic setup could still do 27s so I took the safe option.
fozzmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2011, 01:58:51 PM +0100 »

Just saw it today :-(

Love the idea, but 1hr seems a long time to spend in the tank. Raced last night in Legends League last night which was fun, looking for something a bit of "fun" but which can still be taken seriously.

I am selling my Virtual Roadster cockpit on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320742210327 / https://www.simracing.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=9771.0
iRacing = Matthew Forrester
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: