The Spirit of British SimRacing   

Read this first!    

nonchalant-unilinear
April 20, 2024, 01:02:38 AM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: More forum anti-spam measures  (Read 4893 times)
Dave 'Gizmo' Gymer
Director General
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Currum auriga quasi furtivum

View Profile WWW
« on: September 27, 2011, 10:04:15 PM +0100 »

As some of you have noticed, I temporarily had to ban gmail.com users as we've been hit with a mass spammer attack which is bypassing the anti-spam measures which have been very effective for about six months.

I've now changed the ban so that it only prevents registration, rather than login - that should allow already registered users in again.

Chances are that I'll have to introduce more anti-spam measures in the next few days, but my fear is that we're now seeing a "mechanical Turk" attack -i.e. real people being paid to register on forums and post spam. I'm desperately trying not to end up with a manual registration approval process but I fear that's where we'll inevitably end up. no

To finish first, first you must have fins.
vosblod
Former UKGPL Moderators

can divide by zero

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 10:23:11 PM +0100 »

It's just annoying you have to go to all those lengths although I guess it says we must be a popular forum for them to want to target us.
I never quite get why... Are they trying to link us to a virus so our computers get swallowed or trying to get us to buy rubbish? Either way I can't believe there is anyone not savvy enough to avoid those dodgy links.

Manual registration sounds like a bit of a nightmare admin wise. On a couple of forums I run I do manual but they are tiny compared to srou so it's not too much bother.
BadBlood
Former UKGPL Moderators

Sassafrassarassum Rick Rastardly!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 06:43:25 PM +0100 »

Any further news on this Dave? If you ever need any assistance with anything feel free to give me a shout. Vos might vouch for me... Wink

BadBlood

aka

Angel Moose angel
GPLRank +71.5ish Smiley
GPL65Rank +71.1ish Smiley
Other ranks? Middlin' Slowish Wink
Dave 'Gizmo' Gymer
Director General
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 07:51:52 PM +0100 »

Any further news on this Dave? If you ever need any assistance with anything feel free to give me a shout. Vos might vouch for me... Wink

Since I stopped gmail.com addresses registering it's dropped to practically nothing; all the Hotmail based spammers are getting caught by the StopForumSpam mod, which probably means that they have a tighter registration process.

BillThomas

We will rock you! Rock on.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 05:48:18 PM +0100 »

Thanks, use GMail on Smart phone - saves firing up PC upstairs to get updates; eg server problem for tonight's GTL race.

Bill Thomas   wheelchair
Another one bites the dust
Den

Burnout Doctor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 01:11:31 AM +0000 »

I haven't a PC at the moment and earlier this week checked MY site and same thing, Holy Crap!! It took me close on an hour to remove all the SPAM "members". ouch!! Glad you got it sorted.

Den
Reporter: "So. What's it like to be Henry Ford II?"
Henry Ford II: "I don't know. I've never been anyone else."
www.Petrolmania.co.uk
You can never have enough (GTL) Minis!!
Mohohew3
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 11:16:19 AM +0100 »

It is impressive to me forever.
Dave 'Gizmo' Gymer
Director General
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2013, 12:05:15 PM +0100 »

It is impressive to me forever.

Ironic spam? Roll Eyes

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com