Quarterly cost: �0

nonchalant-unilinear
May 02, 2024, 04:51:40 AM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
S4455GPP
S4455GPW
S4466CA
S4467F1P
S4467F1W
S4467F2A
S4467F2P
S44JSMT
Recent
S4467F1W Mont-Tremblant
S4467F1P Mont-Tremblant
S4467F2P Snetterton (L…
S4467F2A Snetterton (L…
S4455GPP Reims (1954-7…
S4455GPW Reims (1954-7…
S4466CA Michigan
Forthcoming
S4467F1W Aintree
S4467F1P Aintree
S4467F2P Sempione (193…
S4467F2A Sempione (193…
S4455GPP Oakes Field
S4455GPW Oakes Field
S4466CA Salzburgring

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Riverside Test Race - Dec 10  (Read 3666 times)
vosblod
Former UKGPL Moderators

can divide by zero

View Profile
« on: December 08, 2010, 04:50:41 PM +0000 »

In view of the problems at the last event we are going to test a different version of this track prior to the Works re-run on 19 December;

Race List = IGOR
Server= UKGPL_T7_2
Race date = 10-12-2010
Time = 21:00 UK time
Track = Riverside 1966
Variant = 67F1
Damage Model = INT-Long
Qualifying time = 35 minutes.
Race length = Long

The track can be downloaded from : http://srmz.net/index.php?showtopic=3059

Please be in IGOR UKGPL chatroom by 8:50 pm UK Time

This is an informal test race to see how the track performs and is open to ALL drivers and will not be passworded.
Hristo Itchov

There is no limit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 08:59:51 AM +0000 »

I just installed the track and did 1 lap. 1 because this is one of the worst made tracks I've ever seen and I couldn't bare driving around it anymore. It's so far off the real thing, so wrong in any possible way, that I don't see why we have to race this excuse for a track instead of just choosing something else. There's not a single corner or straight that has a correct length, radius, camber or altitude changes. Not to mention the uglyness of it all.

Seriously, whoever worked on this track and thought it's worth to be shown at public must've been heavily on drugs... It looks like he took the proper Riverside (the one that freezes) and wrecked havoc upon it by any means possible.

So can't we choose something proper, does it necessarily have to be Riverside? There are a ton of decent tracks out there.

vosblod
Former UKGPL Moderators

can divide by zero

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 09:55:22 AM +0000 »

I just installed the track and did 1 lap. 1 because this is one of the worst made tracks I've ever seen and I couldn't bare driving around it anymore. It's so far off the real thing, so wrong in any possible way, that I don't see why we have to race this excuse for a track instead of just choosing something else. There's not a single corner or straight that has a correct length, radius, camber or altitude changes. Not to mention the uglyness of it all.

Seriously, whoever worked on this track and thought it's worth to be shown at public must've been heavily on drugs... It looks like he took the proper Riverside (the one that freezes) and wrecked havoc upon it by any means possible.

So can't we choose something proper, does it necessarily have to be Riverside? There are a ton of decent tracks out there.
Hands up I haven't looked at it yet.
Anyone else have comments re this track? No point wasting time testing something we can't/won't use.
If the majority feel this way and are not confident the 'other' Riverside will stand up our normal procedure is to fall back on a Papy standard. As Silvy has been used a lot in recent times I would be looking at Rouen.
We need to make a bit of a snap decision as the test is due to take place tonight...
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 10:43:01 AM +0000 »

I had 5 minutes last night so I downloaded the new track and squirted out of the pit to see what it looked like.

Is it my imagination or are those sweeping esses down the hill different?? On the 67 track I was taking some of those curves flat in 4th, but last night I was struggling to carry much speed even in 3rd!!! That was as far as I got, before "duty" called so I have not seen the rest of the circuit, but from what I did see i was not exactly overwhelmed.

Hope to join in tonight if I can , but looks like I will need to re-learn this as a new track if we are going to use it.  Undecided
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 10:44:52 AM +0000 by EvilClive » Logged

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @    evilclive67
Rank   Only when I sweat
BadBlood
Former UKGPL Moderators

Sassafrassarassum Rick Rastardly!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010, 12:20:04 PM +0000 »

Tim,

I don't like this new track but I don't carry much weight yet BUT we had a perfectly OK race in the Privateers on the original Riverside. Might it not be possible to re-run with the original track and fall back on Rouen if you experience problems in Qually? Just a thought.

As for tonight, I'll try to turn out but my back is a bit sore so I'll see you in iGOR and see how it goes.

Cheers,

P.

BadBlood

aka

Angel Moose angel
GPLRank +71.5ish Smiley
GPL65Rank +71.1ish Smiley
Other ranks? Middlin' Slowish Wink
vosblod
Former UKGPL Moderators

can divide by zero

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2010, 02:04:33 PM +0000 »

I don't like this new track but I don't carry much weight yet BUT we had a perfectly OK race in the Privateers on the original Riverside. Might it not be possible to re-run with the original track and fall back on Rouen if you experience problems in Qually? Just a thought.
Whilst the Privateers ran OK there were a few freezes in Works followed by a mass disco and it has turned up on an 'iffy track' list. I don't think it's worth the risk, would be galling to get 20 laps round and find it happens again.
When the suggestion was made to try this version I don't think anyone had actually tried it. If everyone agrees with Hristo it really doesn't sound like it's worth wasting time on.
Anyway we'll see what everyone thinks in chat - if this one isn't a goer we can just do a fun race tonight.
john roberts
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2010, 02:31:43 PM +0000 »

Tim ,

why don't you just scrap the Riverside race and run the replacement at the new sebring track , it's not know for any discoes and being "new" nobody will have an advantage by knowing it in 67 cars .

http://srmz.net/index.php?showtopic=6123

john
Tom van Ostade

"anything can happen, and it usually does"

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2010, 03:03:07 PM +0000 »

That sounds fine to me too. We could also race at Lime Rock Park Mountain Circuit, a beautifull track perhaps similar in layout to Riverside, and safe to use online.

Having driven a few laps myself I have to agree with Hristo this track isn't as nicely built as the original. It uses a low drawing resolution all round which is particularly annoying at the wavey straight where you essentially plunge into and out of the tarmac due to the low resolution of drawing. Also there's a piece of track floating in mid-air where the Nascar shortcut rejoins the full track.

Tom.

BadBlood
Former UKGPL Moderators

Sassafrassarassum Rick Rastardly!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2010, 03:37:11 PM +0000 »

That floaty mid-air section certainly makes it different. The rendering at turn 8 particularly is appalling. If you drift off track there - it would have to be an incident, the wheels are not actually shown in contact with anything!

See you all tonight.

BadBlood

aka

Angel Moose angel
GPLRank +71.5ish Smiley
GPL65Rank +71.1ish Smiley
Other ranks? Middlin' Slowish Wink
vosblod
Former UKGPL Moderators

can divide by zero

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2010, 04:04:03 PM +0000 »

I'm happy to go with what you guys want.
The reason we usually run a papy track is to avoid anyone getting an advantage. Anyway let's decide in chat.
Ronniepeterson

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2010, 05:56:21 PM +0000 »

Just a Privateer so its your call but that new Riverside track is awful (inaccurate, bland, non glitch free). I would not enjoy dancing round that one for many laps, its strictly a disaster darling!
Hristo Itchov

There is no limit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2010, 06:53:49 PM +0000 »

Any other track but Riverside. Sebring or Lime Rock Mountain sound good, St. Jovite comes to mind too, but anything really, anything stable, decent looking and realistic.

Have you seen the last turn of this new Riverside? What a blasphemy...

EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2010, 06:57:56 PM +0000 »

After last night brief excursion and the comments here I have just tried Riverside 66 again.................................definitely not impressed. Embarrassed
I would rather risk a disco on the 67 circcuit than race 30 or so laps around here!!!! Huh I assume that this is a Beta circuit and that someone is working on the graphic glitches? because it just does not "feel" right.

It may be more accurate a representation ( if I read the info about it correctly ) of the true circuit but it is not one that I would like to race on as it stands.

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @    evilclive67
Rank   Only when I sweat
Hristo Itchov

There is no limit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2010, 07:03:06 PM +0000 »

After last night brief excursion and the comments here I have just tried Riverside 66 again.................................definitely not impressed. Embarrassed
I would rather risk a disco on the 67 circcuit than race 30 or so laps around here!!!! Huh I assume that this is a Beta circuit and that someone is working on the graphic glitches? because it just does not "feel" right.

It may be more accurate a representation ( if I read the info about it correctly ) of the true circuit but it is not one that I would like to race on as it stands.

I don't see how improving the graphics would sort out the core problems it has - wrong altitudes, wrong corner radiuses, wrong cambers, etc. Even wrong corner and straight lengths! Graphics is definitely the minor issue here.

And no, I've watched videos of the real Riverside, I recall someone posted a race of the 60s with Clark and Gurney in it a month or two ago, and the track is much closer to the freezing 1960 version than this piece of crap.

vosblod
Former UKGPL Moderators

can divide by zero

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2010, 08:13:55 PM +0000 »

Had a look at Sebring 67 and, if the majority want to, we can go with this. It doesn't really need a test as it was flogged to death online by the GT test team. It's also one of Ginetto's which speaks for itself.
So, depending on who turns up, we can either just do a fun race at somewhere familiar or look at this track. If it's the latter I'll probably bow out as I will be all over the place until I get a bit of offline learning in.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 08:15:56 PM +0000 by vosblod » Logged
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com