Quarterly cost: �0

March 19, 2024, 02:46:07 AM +0000 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
S4455GPP
S4455GPW
S4466CA
S4467F1P
S4467F1W
S4467F2A
S4467F2P
Recent
S4466CA Zolder (1965-7…
S4467F1W Zeltweg (1969…
S4467F1P Zeltweg (1969…
S4467F2P Suzuka (GP)
S4467F2A Suzuka (GP)
S4455GPW Indianapolis …
S4455GPP Indianapolis …
Forthcoming
S4466CA Road America (…
S4467F1W Imola (1953-7…
S4467F1P Imola (1953-7…
S4467F2P Ingliston
S4467F2A Ingliston
S4455GPP Roy Hesketh (…
S4455GPW Roy Hesketh (…
S4466CA Bathurst

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
  Print  
Author Topic: Server Fund  (Read 40302 times)
Phil Thornton
UKGPL Consigliere
Administrator

View Profile
« on: February 27, 2010, 02:55:39 PM +0000 »

Since the demise of our old faithful server 1.UKGPL at the end of Season 17 we have been using a mixture of dedicated games servers that we have been able to borrow from other leagues and various home-based servers running on domestic broadband connections.  This has resulted in some hectic race organisations and unfortunately very bad lag on some occasions and so for Season 19 we have decided to opt for a dedicated games server of our own.  Well not quite.  

Thanks to Fulvio Policardi, we were fortunate to have the use of the Team 7 server for much of Season 18 and without it there would have been no racing.  So for Season 19, Team 7 have agreed to make the arrangement a little more formal.  They will continue to rent the server from the provider, with all the legal and financial obligations that entails, but they will allow us to use the server on our race nights (Sundays and Tuesdays).  Team 7 will use the server for their own races on the other nights.  In return we will collect donations from the UKGPL drivers and so contribute to the upkeep of the server.

The arrangement with Team 7 is informal but the following calculation illustrates the sort of donation that would fair:

The server rental quarterly cost is about  £300

Note: this is for a server with full admin rights.  A cheaper “games” server only allows users to use the installed games.  For GPL we need full admin rights to install the game and all the patches and modifications.

So sharing the server 50:50 with Team 7 means we should contribute £150 per quarter.  But if we calculated the cost based on the number of race nights (2 out of 7) then we should contribute about £86 per quarter.  Provided we stay somewhere between those limits hopefully the arrangement with Team 7 will be harmonious.  I’m sure you can decide for yourselves what a fair individual contribution would be based on the number of active drivers in the league.

The “Server Costs” Meter at the top of the UKGPL pages will indicate how healthy the server fund is.  If the server meter is in the red then it is hoped that the UKGPL drivers will recognise the fact and contribute as they see fit.  To make the process of contributing as simple as possible Vlad Vosblod will administer a PayPal account on behalf of UKGPL.  It is appreciated that administration costs levied by PayPal are quite high but it is the easiest way to get the server fund started.  We may migrate to a cheaper method in the future.

When the meter at the top of this page goes into the red a donate button will appear.  Clicking on the donate button will take you to a PayPal web page where you can donate if you wish.  Please note updating the meter is a manual process so don't expect it to move once you have placed a donation.  The admin staff will periodically (hopefully quite regularly) update the meter balance to reflect the true balance in the PayPal account.  Once the meter is in the green the donate button will dissapear.  We don't want to be collecting money when we don't need it!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 04:27:26 PM +0100 by Cookie » Logged
Ross Neilson
UKGPL Divisional Moderator
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 08:48:32 PM +0000 »

I don't have a problem with this, and I'm quite happy to donate whatever fee is agreed. Thanks to the moderators for sorting this out.

Cheers,

Ross

Racing as Ross Neilson 65/66/69 for Clark-Hill Racing
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 09:55:56 PM +0000 »

No probs with that at all, as we have had the opportunity to prove what a good server T7 is.

Thanks to Fulvio and the Mods for sorting that out. thumbup1

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!

Rank   Only when I sweat
bernie

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 05:24:12 PM +0000 »

£86 per ?

Is that Each Roll Eyes

Paul968
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 06:03:21 PM +0000 »

Is that Each Roll Eyes

not unless you need a server each!  laugh
miner2049er
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 06:21:30 PM +0000 »

Is that Each Roll Eyes

2 and a tanner to you Bernie.

Phil Thornton
UKGPL Consigliere
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 06:23:26 PM +0000 »

£86 per ?

Is that Each Roll Eyes

If you read on a bit Bernie it says "I’m sure you can decide for yourselves what a fair individual contribution would be based on the number of active drivers in the league."

I didn't want to go down to the detail of suggesting a level of donation, that is really a personal issue based on what an individual can afford but since it is causing confusion. 

Just say we had 50 drivers equally affluent but not wanting to contribute more than the next man:

They would EACH need to make
    a MINIMAL quarterly donation of 86/50 = £1.72
OR 
   a MAXIMUM quarterly donation of 150/50 = £3.00
Turkey Machine
UKGPL Assistant Divisional Moderator

Elitist psychopath with AS.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 07:31:52 PM +0000 »

I'd be happy to contribute. Where's the PayPal link? Smiley

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10. Why the hell do I keep crashing then?!
vosblod
Former UKGPL Moderators

can divide by zero

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 08:39:49 PM +0000 »

I'd be happy to contribute. Where's the PayPal link? Smiley
I'll be setting it up soon.
bernie

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2010, 08:57:16 PM +0000 »

Is that Each Roll Eyes

2 and a tanner to you Bernie.

Two shillings and sixpence ?  why that's almost half a cown  Roll Eyes

I only want to borrow the server not buy the thing  Shocked Shocked Shocked

NickyIckx

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2010, 05:36:28 PM +0000 »

Cheesy
I am fine with this.
lets see how strong that server is, if it really serves any advantages over the domestics broadband servers.

Angry only thing I dont like that much is using ebays ( paypal ) american moneyhouse ( J.P.Morgan Chase  )  , as I am a member of the european union that kinda money-transfer only steels money away and through me into sort of legal nowhere land .
 Wink but isnt a too hard deal to me .lol
Turkey Machine
UKGPL Assistant Divisional Moderator

Elitist psychopath with AS.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2010, 07:22:21 PM +0000 »

Cheesy
I am fine with this.
lets see how strong that server is, if it really serves any advantages over the domestics broadband servers.

Angry only thing I dont like that much is using ebays ( paypal ) american moneyhouse ( J.P.Morgan Chase  )  , as I am a member of the european union that kinda money-transfer only steels money away and through me into sort of legal nowhere land .
 Wink but isnt a too hard deal to me .lol
If it bothers you that much, transfer it my way and I'll send it on. Smiley

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10. Why the hell do I keep crashing then?!
vosblod
Former UKGPL Moderators

can divide by zero

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2010, 08:18:05 PM +0000 »

We did have a bit of a debate re this, especially re high commission, but at the end of the day it's the easiest option.
IF you would prefer to transfer some money direct to the account PM me for details.

PS: Paypal should be sorted soon
Phil Thornton
UKGPL Consigliere
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2010, 10:24:11 PM +0000 »

The PayPal account is active - you should see a Donate button at the top of this page.

When the meter at the top of this page goes into the red a donate button will appear.  Clicking on the donate button will take you to a PayPal web page where you can donate if you wish.  Please note updating the meter is a manual process so don't expect it to move once you have placed a donation.  The admin staff will periodically (hopefully quite regularly) update the meter balance to reflect the true balance in the PayPal account.  Once the meter is in the green the donate button will dissapear.  We don't want to be collecting money when we don't need it!
vosblod
Former UKGPL Moderators

can divide by zero

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2010, 11:05:13 PM +0000 »

Oh and if you're thinking who the hell is Travis Jones Associates - it feeds to an unused bank account for my company.
AND only use the donate button on the UKGPL (green) pages not the SROU blue/white pages - unless of course you also want to donate to SROU...
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 11:08:49 PM +0000 by vosblod » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com