Quarterly cost: �0

May 02, 2024, 09:20:47 AM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
S4455GPP
S4455GPW
S4466CA
S4467F1P
S4467F1W
S4467F2A
S4467F2P
S44JSMT
Recent
S4467F1W Mont-Tremblant
S4467F1P Mont-Tremblant
S4467F2P Snetterton (L…
S4467F2A Snetterton (L…
S4455GPP Reims (1954-7…
S4455GPW Reims (1954-7…
S4466CA Michigan
Forthcoming
S4467F1W Aintree
S4467F1P Aintree
S4467F2P Sempione (193…
S4467F2A Sempione (193…
S4455GPP Oakes Field
S4455GPW Oakes Field
S4466CA Salzburgring

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Linked Events
  • S20N Zandvoort: November 09, 2010
November 09, 2010, 08:44:21 PM +0000 - Zandvoort (1948-72) - UKGPL Season 20 (2010-2011) Novices Trophy (65)
Driver
 Team
Nat. Make Model Class Qualifying Race
Tyres Pos Time/Gap Pos Time/Gap Laps Stops Best Retirement
reason
Ballast
Ross Neilson
 Clark-Hill Racing
Brabham BT11 (Climax) F1 1965 2 +0.684
---
1 (+3) 40:59.167
---
27 1:30.057
---
Goodyear  
vosblod
 Clark-Hill Racing
Cooper T77 (Climax) F1 1965 5 +1.344
---
2 +15.535
---
27 1:30.260
---
Dunlop  
il_lupo_mannaro

Ferrari 512 F1 1965 7 +1.736
---
3 (+3) +16.003
---
27 1:29.447
---
Dunlop  
blito
 Nessuna Speranza
Ferrari 512 F1 1965 6 +1.391
---
4 +28.910
---
27 1:30.566
---
Dunlop  
maddog

Cooper T77 (Climax) F1 1965 9 +2.012
---
5 +40.246
---
27 1:30.305
---
Dunlop  
roguk
 Clark-Hill Racing
Cooper T77 (Climax) F1 1965 8 +1.793
---
6 +1:07.907
---
27 1:30.888
---
Dunlop  
Billy Nobrakes
 Black Night Racing
Brabham BT11 (Climax) F1 1965 10 +2.529
---
7 +1:09.703
---
27 1:31.445
---
Goodyear  
norbert
 Antipasti Racing
Ferrari 512 F1 1965 13 +3.155
---
8 +1:20.500
---
27 1:31.548
---
Dunlop  
Ronniepeterson

Lotus 33 (Climax 1965) F1 1965 4 +1.207
---
9 (+2) +1:34.228
---
27 1:30.657
---
Dunlop  
happyal
 Clark-Hill Racing
Ferrari 512 F1 1965 11 +2.687
---
10 +1:52.366
---
27 1:31.873
---
Dunlop  
karlisss

Honda RA272 F1 1965 15 +5.246
---
11 +1L
---
26 1:33.564
---
Goodyear  
NHance
 Mountside Racing
Brabham BT11 (Climax) F1 1965 3 +0.932
---
12 +22.815
---
26 1:30.664
---
Goodyear  
Nigel Smith
 HikiWazaRacing
Honda RA272 F1 1965 12 +2.847
---
13 +3L
---
24 1:31.124
---
Goodyear  
Artiglietti

Lotus 33 (Climax 1965) F1 1965 1 1:28.490
---
14 (+1) +8L
---
19 1:28.990
---
Dunlop  
BadBlood
 HikiWazaRacing
Honda RA272 F1 1965 16 +6.322
---
15 +18L
---
9 1:34.457
---
Goodyear  
miner2049er
 Clark-Hill Racing
Cooper T77 (Climax) F1 1965 14 +3.229
---
16 +24L
---
3 1:35.957
---
Dunlop  
5 UKGPL

Brabham BT11 (Climax) F1 1965 17 DNS ---
---
Goodyear  

Moderator's Report

Zandvoort usually gives the Novices a chance to explore the nearby beach, and several drivers didn't miss out on that opportunity.

Sadly, nobody commented on the race post humour. :(

Come on! I said you could get sucked off! Call yourself racing drivers? Sheesh!

Server replay time: 0h02m20s

Ross follows AA into tarzan but brakes far too late and runs into the back of him.
He is out of control when he hits AA but I believe he would have made the corner.

Server replay time: 0h02m20s

Attilio rejoins by reversing onto the track which is never advisable, he should have reversed off the fence and then driven forwards alongside the track to rejoin.
He then goes back to the racing line before being up to speed and moves over into Nigel.

Server replay time: 0h04m50s

NHance recovers from a spin and rejoins.
Mike goes to pass him before he gets back to racing speed but hits him.

Norm was getting back up to speed and had allowed 2 cars past already so should have expected more at it was early in the race and the field was still together, but Mike had seen Norm rejoining and could have reacted more quickly.

The onus is on Norm to make a clean rejoin and not interfere with traffic until he is up to speed but the onus is also on Mike to avoid a collision but it would seem harsh to penalise either driver.

• Racing incident

Server replay time: 0h05m27s

Nhance takes a SHIFTR and takes a SnG but he veers across track to do it, causing BadBlood to spin.

Having almost missed the pit, Norm would have been better advised to have completed another lap and entered the Pits more safely next time around.

Server replay time: 0h08m15s

Ronnie appears to be letting people pass then moves over into Attilio who was clearly in his mirrors on the approach but as he was no longer being visible he must be alongside.

Attilio does not have overlap at turn in but Ronnie should have left room as he was not yet travelling at race speed so could not contest the corner.

• Racing incident

Server replay time: 0h13m05s

Fabio follows RogUK into Tarzan and rear ends him when RogUK brakes.
He had followed Rog for the previous laps and Rog actually braked slightly later than normal on laps 8 and 9 as his tyres etc warmed and his fuel fell.

Server replay time: 0h23m00s

AlBaldwin clearly defends the inside line into Tarzan and Ronnie looks for a gap on the inside.
Realising there is no gap he falls in behind Al but runs into the back of him in the braking zone.

Server replay time: 0h29m25s

Ronnie spins alone in Tarzan and Al Baldwin goes to pas him.
Ronnie corrects his spin but heads back to the racing line collecting Al.
Only Ronnie is affected.

• Racing incident

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  
Author Topic: UKGPL Season 20 (2010-2011) Novices Trophy (65) - Zandvoort (1967) - Nov 9  (Read 11969 times)
miner2049er
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: December 03, 2010, 08:50:54 PM +0000 »

Why not just make stop&go mandatory for any shift-r, regardless if you're to blame or not. It would lift up a lot of doubt, ambiguity and spare a lot of work for the moderators. It's very difficult in the heat of racing to judge a situation objectively sometimes and you have a few seconds to make a decision whether you were to blame for an accident or not. Otherwise there would be a lot of races decided/adjusted outside the track and that's unwanted IMO. Let races be decided on track and just accept that racing incidents can, and will happen, and sometimes you get the short end of the stick.

It's an interesting thought and one I've had before. It does more accurately model real world racing that way, for example an innocent victim of a crash may still need to pit to change a punctured tyre or replace a broken front wing for example, meaning the difference between 1st and 5th.

There is always the option of not taking it and if found to be at fault adding 30seconds on at the end, but in Novices I look at all incidents anyway so it is no extra work in that division.

Perhaps we could include that thought as a part of our mid season review and canvas driver opinion.

maddog

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 03, 2010, 09:19:54 PM +0000 »

Why not just make stop&go mandatory for any shift-r, regardless if you're to blame or not.

I don't see that blameless driving would improve matters on the track. Undecided
Hristo Itchov

There is no limit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: December 03, 2010, 09:41:16 PM +0000 »

Why not just make stop&go mandatory for any shift-r, regardless if you're to blame or not.

I don't see that blameless driving would improve matters on the track. Undecided

What do you mean? There would still be penalties handed out for those who are responsible for an accident, if any. It doesn't change a thing in that regard.

My point was only to avoid judging whether you are allowed a free shift-r or not in the heat of action, because it's rarely a clear situation and it almost always opens up a can of worms and moves the outcome of a race outside the track, after the race is over.

Artiglietti

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 03, 2010, 09:42:29 PM +0000 »

This argument is being dragged on and on because of your continued opportunistic avoidance of the issue at stake.

If you lack the tools for an articulate discussion in public, then do have a private one from behind the moderator shield, but please quit wasting everybody's time with ridiculously unsubstantial replies.

Chief moderator has been pmmed, and has forwarded those exchanges to you.

The issue has now moved on to the fairness and trustworthiness of your so called moderation, which lacks any kind of moderating effect, weakly confusing authority with a right to prevarication. It is far too easy to go and hide behind the chief moderator, try and put up some kind of articulate argument on your own. You could find out you are actually able to.

Hristo Itchov

There is no limit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: December 03, 2010, 10:25:29 PM +0000 »

I tried to defend your case, AA, but I think it's you who's now going overboard. As someone said, these people do all this in their spare time and by free will, so there is no obligation. As a human element involved in it, mistakes are bound to happen from time to time, so why not you both just clear this out without involving negative emotions in it? I'm also interested to hear a clarification on the shift-r and penalty points rules, but there's no need to go beyond that in such a manner as you do.

miner2049er
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: December 03, 2010, 10:28:56 PM +0000 »

This argument is being dragged on and on because of your continued opportunistic avoidance of the issue at stake.

I am avoiding nothing and have made my opinion on the matter public in the form of the race report at the top of the thread. People may disagree with it and can lodge an appeal in the proper manner.

If you lack the tools for an articulate discussion in public, then do have a private one from behind the moderator shield, but please quit wasting everybody's time with ridiculously unsubstantial replies.

I am not the one wasting time and for me the matter is finished when I publish the report unless an appeal is lodged. Again, I urge you to lodge an appeal if you disagree with it.

The issue has now moved on to the fairness and trustworthiness of your so called moderation, which lacks any kind of moderating effect, weakly confusing authority with a right to prevarication.

As I said earlier, if you think I am being unfair or not being impartial, make your complaint official.

It is far too easy to go and hide behind the chief moderator

I have not gone to hide behind anyone, I am telling you to go to him and complain about me officially.

try and put up some kind of articulate argument on your own. You could find out you are actually able to.

Far from being drawn into a public argument which helps nobody, I really do not having anything further to discuss with you on this matter. You are not only being quite rude and provocative but you risk alienating yourself against not only the moderation team but your fellow competitors.

This is supposed to be a game, a hobby, something enjoyable, and for me it is just that. When it ceases to be enjoyable I will walk away. I would urge anybody else here to hold a similar philosophy.

Artiglietti

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 03, 2010, 10:46:48 PM +0000 »

You are not only being quite rude and provocative but you risk alienating yourself against not only the moderation team but your fellow competitors.

OH, will I keep my serene night of sleep in that case.......yeah, think so.

This is supposed to be a game, a hobby, something enjoyable, and for me it is just that. When it ceases to be enjoyable I will walk away. I would urge anybody else here to hold a similar philosophy.

And for me, so lets keep it that way, maybe also keeping an eye on the ones who, trying to be unnecessarily clever, spoil the fun for the others.
BadBlood
Former UKGPL Moderators

Sassafrassarassum Rick Rastardly!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: December 03, 2010, 10:52:16 PM +0000 »

For the record Mike, I implicitly trust your integrity and I have found all the Moderators to be fair and helpful - even when I don't agree with the moderation (which has happened). Several have gone out of their way to offer help and constructive criticism privately. I appreciate it.

I want to put on the slate that the thing that attracted me to UKGPL was the openness and welcoming attitude - I surf these forums quite a lot and this thread is astonishing. Way too personal.

So. to everyone - c'mon. This race was a month ago. Let it go and take any frustrations out on the lap time!

Keep it kind.

BadBlood

aka

Angel Moose angel
GPLRank +71.5ish Smiley
GPL65Rank +71.1ish Smiley
Other ranks? Middlin' Slowish Wink
Hristo Itchov

There is no limit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: December 03, 2010, 11:04:28 PM +0000 »

Mike, I don't think he meant to appeal against the judgement, but to ask for a clarification of the rules. I don't see why that can't be public, it concerns everyone and I agree on that it's needed. For instance, there are situations which are not covered by the shift-r rule in particular.

Why not separate appeals and clarification, and discuss the latter here, disregarding who insulted who and who got hurt by who, and who was at fault and why, etc...

Anyway, I do support a vote against the non-pitstop shift-r for next season, even if I don't race in the division, I think it's the right way to go.

vosblod
Former UKGPL Moderators

can divide by zero

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 03, 2010, 11:07:32 PM +0000 »

Mike, I don't think he meant to appeal against the judgement, but to ask for a clarification of the rules. I don't see why that can't be public, it concerns everyone and I agree on that it's needed. For instance, there are situations which are not covered by the shift-r rule in particular.
Why not separate appeals and clarification, and discuss the latter here, disregarding who insulted who and who got hurt by who, and who was at fault and why, etc...
Anyway, I do support a vote against the non-pitstop shift-r for next season, even if I don't race in the division, I think it's the right way to go.
I completely agree with you Hristo, general issues/clarification should be aired. I have sort of replied to the two issues but will put something more formal up asap.
As Mike says the whole Shift/R - Stop and Go issue is up for discussion prior to next season. I introduced a compulsory stop in Privateers but for different reasons.
miner2049er
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: December 03, 2010, 11:30:01 PM +0000 »

Why not separate appeals and clarification, and discuss the latter here.

Well, yes but no Smiley

Yes we should discuss the SnG rules but not here, we will create a separate thread or perhaps discuss it in the upcoming mid season review thread rather than in this race thread where it will get lost.

even if I don't race in the division, I think it's the right way to go.

If the membership vote for it, and even though it is documented in the rules when and when not to take a SnG, if new drivers to the league are either missing it, not reading it or misunderstanding it then we need to address that.

Phil Thornton
UKGPL Consigliere
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 04, 2010, 12:19:35 AM +0000 »

There has been a lot of heated debate on this thread concerning the rules and interpretation of them.  Something for which I feel I have some responsibility for.  So I feel compelled to try to clear up a few misunderstandings. 

When I became Chief Mod in Season 14 I took over responsibility for the rules and so I got to know them quite well.  I made a few minor changes over the years but the league rules have remained reasonably intact and have served UKGPL very well. 

However there are two areas that have changed a lot.

1.  Specific rules for specific divisions.  When I started racing with UKGPL we only did one race format (original 67 cars with handicapping using pit stops).  Now we regularly use 65, 66 and 67 cars with a range of handicapping systems (chassis allocation, championship positions, tokens etc).  So each division has specific rules.  Sometimes the division specific rules can contradict and override the league rules.  This is rare but it can happen (First potential source of confusion).  If in doubt the specific rule for the division must prevail.

2.  I created the Penalty Guidelines.  The rules can be interpreted differently and hence penalties can be awarded inconsistently.  To try to improve the consistency of the incident moderation I created a set of scenarios of differing severity for the typical incidents we get in UKGPL.  These scenarios are not exhaustive but they should help the moderators decide on an appropriate "punishment" and the drivers to understand why.  If this isn't happening then it implies there is something wrong with the guidelines, as I said I do not claim they are perfect.  The term penalty is being overloaded so I've used the term "punishment" here to describe the moderator's decision.

Please note there is a difference between the "punishments" described in the penalty guidelines and the yellow card system (another potential source of confusion).  The "number of places" or "time added on" a moderator can award are manually entered into the race results system.  These are directly traceable to the moderator's decision and are easy to understand.  The yellow card system is NOT manually applied.  The race results system in SRou automatically determines the number of yellows cards and hence "Yellow card places" dropped.  This can get very complicated when several yellow cards are involved.  To work it out manually is a pain but the algorithm in SRou has been thoroughly tested and I know it is right.  The Yellow card system is used throughout all the leagues running under SRou including UKGPL.  We don't control it we just use it and trust it.  The published explanation is correct.

On the issue of trying to get a free shift R by allowing yourself to get bumped off by someone else.  I don't think this would be a sensible strategy to adopt.  You are likely to loose far more time limping around waiting for an incident to occur than would be lost simply resetting and doing a stop and go.  The suggestion that all shift Rs should be followed by a Stop&Go (and hence eliminate this potential strategy) has been tried before in Masters Season 12 but it wasn't adopted in the other divisions because it was seen as unfair on drivers that were quite clearly the innocent party.  The organizers need to make a judgement and decide on the lesser of the two evils.

Notwithstanding ambiguities in the rules, the drivers must accept the divisional moderators decision or formally appeal the the Chief Moderator.  If the rules or guidelines are at fault we normally have a mid season and end of season review where these issues can be debated.  However, it is not normally considered good practice to change the rules part way through a season.  Any rule changes should only come into force at the start of a new season.

I hope this puts some historical context on why things are the way they are and that we can move on.  I'm not saying things are perfect but there are generally good reasons why things are done in a particular way.

Hristo Itchov

There is no limit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: December 04, 2010, 12:45:06 AM +0000 »

Thanks for the thorough explanation, Phil, and I agree we should discuss it separately in its own thread when the time comes, Mike.

Just want to say that I'm not against free shift-r so much for the fact that someone can manipulate it and try to get hit on purpose to take advantage of it, but because it's not always possible to judge a situation objectively in the heat of action and from the limited point of view of your own cockpit, and a wrong decision here regarding shift-r can lead to race results being adjusted outside the track later on. Anyway, I guess I'll repeat all that when the time comes.  Grin

Ronniepeterson

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 04, 2010, 08:52:01 AM +0000 »

After a goodnights sleep let me just say. Congratulations to Vos, Blito and Ross on the 1, 2, 3 finish and commiserations to Fabio who slipped off the podium. Ross, despite your win at Castle Coombe I suspect your mirrors are going to be full of hungry wannabe contenders at Spa. With over half the season still to go watch your back, the chasing pack is coming.
blito
UKGPL Asst Divisional Moderator
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 04, 2010, 02:09:05 PM +0000 »

woohoo! second! Equals my best ever UKGPL result Cheesy
 Once again proof of the effectiveness of finding stability and driving within you limits Smiley
Pity that i have no idea where those limits are for the next few tracks!

Jason Blito
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com