Quarterly cost: �0

nonchalant-unilinear
May 02, 2024, 11:11:11 PM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
S4455GPP
S4455GPW
S4466CA
S4467F1P
S4467F1W
S4467F2A
S4467F2P
S44JSMT
Recent
S4467F1W Mont-Tremblant
S4467F1P Mont-Tremblant
S4467F2P Snetterton (L…
S4467F2A Snetterton (L…
S4455GPP Reims (1954-7…
S4455GPW Reims (1954-7…
S4466CA Michigan
Forthcoming
S4467F1W Aintree
S4467F1P Aintree
S4467F2P Sempione (193…
S4467F2A Sempione (193…
S4455GPP Oakes Field
S4455GPW Oakes Field
S4466CA Salzburgring

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Grand Prix (Movie)  (Read 2401 times)
miner2049er
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile WWW
« on: November 25, 2008, 09:06:21 AM +0000 »

I was off work today with Man Flu so I spent the day on the couch watching films, one of which was Grand Prix.

Obviously the racing scenes are the crux of the movie but there is a deliberate mistake that I haven't heard of before.

At Monza there is a shot from above the banking where it crosses the straight. It appears the shot was done for dramatic reasons as the cars on the banking are going the wrong way and the cars on the straight below are going the wrong way too.

EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 04:18:27 PM +0000 »

its all done with mirrors! Roll Eyes

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @    evilclive67
Rank   Only when I sweat
bernie

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 10:21:59 PM +0000 »

I was off work today with Man Flu so I spent the day on the couch watching films, one of which was Grand Prix.

Obviously the racing scenes are the crux of the movie but there is a deliberate mistake that I haven't heard of before.

At Monza there is a shot from above the banking where it crosses the straight. It appears the shot was done for dramatic reasons as the cars on the banking are going the wrong way and the cars on the straight below are going the wrong way too.

Thats not the only thing that was "phoney" most of the cars driven by stars were made up F3 cars adapted for the film . For frontal filming they were towed behind a GT40 driven by puka GP men Chris Amon for one . A lot of the action was genuine stuff but was mixed in with the "phoney stuff " Its good fun playing "spot the real drivers " though  Grin

miner2049er
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008, 10:23:53 PM +0000 »

Some are easier than others but I thought I saw Jochen Rindt in there.

Could have been mistaken though.

Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

"I'd rather be Sim-Racing" said Noddy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 01:12:02 AM +0000 »

The drivers were........

Chris Amon ....  racing driver 
Lorenzo Bandini ....  racing driver 
Jean-Pierre Beltoise ....  racing driver 
Bob Bondurant ....  racing driver 
Joakim Bonnier ....  racing driver 
Jack Brabham ....  racing driver 
Ken Costello ....  racing driver 
Juan Manuel Fangio ....  racing driver 
Nino Farina ....  racing driver 
Paul Frère ....  racing driver 
Richie Ginther ....  racing driver 
Dan Gurney ....  racing driver 
Graham Hill ....  racing driver 
Phil Hill ....  racing driver 
Dennis Hulme ....  racing driver 
Tony Lanfranchi ....  racing driver 
Guy Ligier ....  racing driver 
Bruce McLaren ....  racing driver 
Michael Parkes ....  racing driver 
Andre Pilette ....  racing driver 
Teddy Pilette ....  racing driver 
Peter Revson ....  racing driver 
Jochen Rindt ....  racing driver 
Jim Russell ....  racing driver 
Ludovico Scarfiotti ....  racing driver 
Jo Schlesser ....  racing driver 
Skip Scott ....  racing driver 
Jo Siffert ....  racing driver (as Joe Siffert)
Mike Spence ....  racing driver 

The only UK based GTL community which races every Monday night. We are always looking for new drivers of all ages and abilities. GTL here since 2006.

bernie

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 11:52:58 AM +0000 »

Some interesting facts ..............

The helmet design that James Garner's character uses is that of then-Grand Prix race driver 'Chris Amon (I)'. The only difference was a silhouette of a Kiwi bird that was normally on the side of Amon's helmet (he was from New Zealand) that was left off of Garner's, as his character was an American.

The helmet design used by Brian Bedford is that of then second-year driver and future triple World Champion Jackie Stewart. Of the four actors, Bedford is the only one not to do any actual driving, which explains why in all segments where the Scott Stoddard character is shown driving, he has the balaclava up to his goggles.

The cars that were used in the film, supposedly Formula 1 cars, were in fact Formula 3 cars made up to look like Formula 1's. Footage of real Formula 1 cars, shot during the actual Grand Prix races of 1966, was used as well.

During filming, Yves Montand spun out and subsequently was terrified to go fast again. The crew modified a racecar that was then towed behind a Ford GT40. This setup would reach speeds of 130 mph. Montand was more comfortable with this setup than with having to drive the car himself.

John Frankenheimer refused to film cars moving slowly, then speed the film up. He felt the average moviegoer would be able to notice the difference.

James Garner did all his own driving. During breaks in filming there were several mini races in which Garner either tied or bettered the professional drivers hired for filming.

Toshirô Mifune's own voice was heard in his performance as Izo Yamura at the film's premiere, but afterward he was dubbed by Paul Frees in all general release and roadshow prints.

The Formula 3 car's smaller engines could not spin the wider Formula 1 tires realistically on starts, so the tires were wet with gasoline for those shots, which not only allowed them to spin realistically but also caused them to smoke realistically as they spun.

The cars had to be fitted with spark plug radio noise suppression kits similar to the ones used on passenger cars because otherwise the static produced by their engine electrics interfered with the radio-controlled camera mounts on the cars.

Filming required the use of all existing Panavision 65mm cameras.

Steve McQueen was the early choice for the lead role. A first meeting with producer Edward Lewis went very bad and McQueen showed no further interest in the role. He later starred in another racing movie, Le Mans (1971).

Of the 32 drivers who participated or were seen in the film, five died in racing accidents in the next two years and another five in the following 10 years.

Average Shot Length = ~5.4 seconds. Median Shot Length = ~4.7 seconds.

Early in the movie, Yves Montand's helmet design is that of John Surtees, who was driving for Ferrari at the beginning of the 1966 season. But Surtees left Ferrari for Cooper after two races, and therefore footage of the real Ferrari with Surtees driving was no longer available. Mike Parkes replaced him at Ferrari, and Montand's helmet design changes to that of Parkes for the remainder of the movie. No reason is given in the movie for the change.

Swedish actress Harriet Andersson was cast as the female lead and filmed some scenes. James Garner wanted to replace her so Eva Marie Saint got the part instead. No explanation was given.

The film shows racing taking place on the banked oval section of the Autodromo Nazionale Monza in Italy, but in fact the oval section of that racetrack had not been used for the Formula 1 Italian Grand Prix since 1961. This section of the track was still used, however, for races involving other classes of cars until 1969. The Monza 1,000 Kilometre, for example, reserved for the Sports, Prototype and Grand Touring categories, used the full 10KM course (including the high-speed banked oval section) from 1965 to 1969. Ironically, the tragic fatal accident in the 1961 Italian Grand Prix (which took the life of German driver Wolfgang Von Trips, and 14 spectators) did not occur in the banked oval section but just prior to the "Parabolic" curve, which is part of the Road Course section of Monza. This road course, with modifications for safety and since the retirement of the banked oval section, has comprised the entire circuit at Monza ever since.

Frankenheimer's first film in color.

Yves Montand's character, Sarti, tells how he no longer slows down when he sees an accident. He uses the exact words of the real life driver Phil Hill, as quoted by Robert Daley in his book "The Cruel Sport".

« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 11:58:16 AM +0000 by bernie » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com