Quarterly cost: �0

May 02, 2024, 10:02:48 PM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
S4455GPP
S4455GPW
S4466CA
S4467F1P
S4467F1W
S4467F2A
S4467F2P
S44JSMT
Recent
S4467F1W Mont-Tremblant
S4467F1P Mont-Tremblant
S4467F2P Snetterton (L…
S4467F2A Snetterton (L…
S4455GPP Reims (1954-7…
S4455GPW Reims (1954-7…
S4466CA Michigan
Forthcoming
S4467F1W Aintree
S4467F1P Aintree
S4467F2P Sempione (193…
S4467F2A Sempione (193…
S4455GPP Oakes Field
S4455GPW Oakes Field
S4466CA Salzburgring

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New drivers  (Read 3166 times)
vosblod
Former UKGPL Moderators

can divide by zero

View Profile
« on: November 27, 2008, 10:48:47 AM +0000 »

Hi, I’m working on persuading a couple of friends to take up GPL (racks, thumbscrews and the like). Anyway, once they are up to allowing the fast guys to lap safely and making it round a track without spinning can they join the 65 novices?
I’m half thinking maybe should wait for the next season until they are a bit quicker - they will (probably) be slower than me  Wink
Are there plans to run any 65 non-league events over December? Might be the best way for them to discover the fun of online racing…
miner2049er
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2008, 11:21:42 AM +0000 »

Are there plans to run any 65 non-league events over December? Might be the best way for them to discover the fun of online racing…

Tell them to jump on my practise server. It is running most evenings for the 65 Novices upcoming races, so this week is Silverstone.

The practise sessions are exactly that, and the races are just for fun anyway.

There is no substitute for driving round a track with other human drivers.

Clive Loynes

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2008, 03:48:32 PM +0000 »

Tell them to jump on my practise server. It is running most evenings for the 65 Novices upcoming races, so this week is Silverstone.

Jolly good.

Hoping to thrash my BT7 within an inch of its life tonight!

Probably aiming for a 1:34 something by close of play but I don't have a time there yet so anybody's guess.

SBRC  UKPnG Season 6, 7 & 8 Champions (Missed Season 9 by a gnat's nadger!)
Jack O'Ferrall
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2008, 06:58:37 PM +0000 »

The Novices is supposed to be for beginners- UKGPL suffers from an attitude where drivers don't move on from the lowest leagues, which makes them more intimidating for new drivers.

If they're struggling to complete consecutive laps and find it difficult to control a car when they're being passed, then league racing might be a step too far, though practising with other drivers could help with setups and general tips.  However, once beyond that stage they'd be welcome.
vosblod
Former UKGPL Moderators

can divide by zero

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 12:09:40 AM +0000 »

Showing them the ropes on Mike's server. Apologies if anyone goes on to do some serious practice and they find drivers on ice skates. I have got them to use Prib so should help...
It's a bit like the blind leading the blind  Wink
miner2049er
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2008, 12:25:12 AM +0000 »

Like I said, the practise server is for just that, and the practise races are ideal training, but like Jack O' says, League racing might be a leap too far until speed rather than safety becomes the main coincern.

Geoff65
Former UKGPL Moderators

Aussie Paul Hawkins. Sitting in Porsche 910

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2008, 04:47:34 AM +0000 »

[/quote] The Novices is supposed to be for beginners- UKGPL suffers from an attitude where drivers don't move on from the lowest leagues, which makes them more intimidating for new drivers.[/qoute]

True Dave, which is why we really need to look at adding an Intermediate level between Novice and the resultant Pro. I have already mentioned this in another thread but with the recent influx of new drivers to UKGPL, it is very nearly possible. A couple more things have occured to me since I wrote that last post.

1/ In light of preparing Intermediate drivers for advancement to Pro, even though Shift-R is still permitted, maybe adopting the OAO method would be advantageous.....that being in the event of accident damage to your car or an engine blow-up etc you may use Shift-R ONLY if you can make it back to your pit stall. Failing a return to your pit box.....eliminates you from further proceedings. This should make people think a bit more carefully about gear changes, passing moves and their general attitude to driving. And offer less of a culture shock on arrival in the Pro ranks. Many of the current Novices would slot brilliantly into this class, with a new format knocking the rough edges off. Many are quite fast but erratic (that includes me....mostly the erratic bit) and having more things to worry about to get a finish.....may just temper the madness somewhat and tidy the whole thing up a bit.

2/ Pro could also be an invitational race, if numbers look like being a bit down.....or some aggressive recruiting of Pro level drivers as well as Newbies might also be in order.

3/ with these changes, Tim's (Vlad's) mates could take their rightful place with other low-time pilots in a proper Novice class, without fear or apprehension. And make recruiting to the class somewhat easier.

Comments invited chaps please.
Geoff.

www.clark-hillracing.com

"Racing is life.....anything that happens before or after, is just waiting"
Steve McQueen from "Le Mans"

GPL Rank +15.145 29/3/2012
miner2049er
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2008, 08:39:22 PM +0000 »

If the numbers are big enough then I think having a third series in 65s would be a good idea.

A pro series for the hot lappers that seem to be wearing a narrow groove on the tracks.
An amateur series for those curently heading up the novices.
A novice series for those new to online racing.

Pro rules should include damage and like Geoff says, a Shift-R should only be allowed in the pits if you make it back.
Amateur rules should include damage but allow Shift-Rs anywhere.
Novice rules should have no damage and allow Shift-Rs anywhere.

I think that the Amateurs would be the most popular with perhaps people being "invited" to move up to Pro at the appropriate time.

The Novices could then be for true novices who are new to online racing and it would hold no fear for them, or me Wink

bernie

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2008, 10:24:24 PM +0000 »

Previously we had 3 UKGPL divs for 67 cars which became 2 divs.  CC and D1 as it is now .

The main reason it changed,  afair,  was the huge drain on the overworked moderater's time and the commitment required to vet all the races etc.

This might perhaps still be a problem  Roll Eyes

BookieW

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2008, 12:17:58 AM +0000 »

Today was my inauspicious debut with UKGPL.  From the beginning of praccy something just didn't feel right.  I kept getting in everyone's way and getting knocked off the track.  And, I couldn't get anywhere near my normal time at Zandvoort.  Someone sent me a chat that I was warping alot.  Tried going offline and coming back but I think it must have been the same.  During the race it was more of the same.  So, at the completion of lap 2 I pitted and retired.  Sorry gentlemen.  I have a cable connection and don't usually have these issues.

BookieW
Geoff65
Former UKGPL Moderators

Aussie Paul Hawkins. Sitting in Porsche 910

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2008, 06:12:59 AM +0000 »

Today was my inauspicious debut with UKGPL.  From the beginning of praccy something just didn't feel right.  I kept getting in everyone's way and getting knocked off the track.  And, I couldn't get anywhere near my normal time at Zandvoort.  Someone sent me a chat that I was warping alot.  Tried going offline and coming back but I think it must have been the same.  During the race it was more of the same.  So, at the completion of lap 2 I pitted and retired.  Sorry gentlemen.  I have a cable connection and don't usually have these issues.

BookieW

Don't worry Bookie.in the end we were all warping our brains out.....it wasn't just you.....for some reason, the server was not coping.
Geoff.

www.clark-hillracing.com

"Racing is life.....anything that happens before or after, is just waiting"
Steve McQueen from "Le Mans"

GPL Rank +15.145 29/3/2012
Clive Loynes

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2008, 08:38:06 AM +0000 »

Sorry Bookie, twas me who sent the chat message before I realised that we were all warping.

When the cars are dancing about as they were it is impossible to read the body language and collisions are quite likely.  Sorry if I created some confusion.

If it had been a pick-up race I would have quit in qually.

SBRC  UKPnG Season 6, 7 & 8 Champions (Missed Season 9 by a gnat's nadger!)
vosblod
Former UKGPL Moderators

can divide by zero

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2009, 02:57:23 AM +0000 »

Thought I might give you an update.
One of my friends, Bill, has got the GPL bug big time and has got his Silvy speed down to 1.41. Trying to persuade him he's ok to join next season - my only worry is the rate he's practicing he'll wap me  Shocked
Andy, meanwhile, decided GPL was too real so he is sending me a 'Need For Speed' disc or something... We should have one new driver next season  Wink
b_1_rd
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2009, 12:23:32 PM +0000 »

Has he joined the forum yet?  It is daunting joining online races and leagues.  I was nervous to start with, and still feel I need to get out the way of the faster guys.  But there is no better place to start than here at UKGPL, and especially the Novice league.  I think more should try the Clubmans too.

So, Bill, if you haven't joined yet...do so, you wont regret it.  Also anyone else who's just thinking about it, don't be worried, it's good fun and everyone is friendly (well almost Wink) and will freely give you any advice (until you get within a second or 2 of their laptime then they start being guarded, just kiddin) to help you along.

I think the best thing to do is try and finish every race you start.  I am terrible for quiting out, then immediately regret it.  No one really gives a hoot where you finish as long as your in Smiley

Steve

Remember, you’re an individual, just like everyone else.
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2009, 12:29:24 PM +0000 »

Awwww c'mon Bill,  we promise to be gentle with you  Wink ...... well, some of the time whistling

And I can promise some of the best fun, far far better than playing with yourself in a darkened room  Roll Eyes

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @    evilclive67
Rank   Only when I sweat
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com