Quarterly cost: �0

nonchalant-unilinear
May 02, 2024, 08:53:11 PM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
S4455GPP
S4455GPW
S4466CA
S4467F1P
S4467F1W
S4467F2A
S4467F2P
S44JSMT
Recent
S4467F1W Mont-Tremblant
S4467F1P Mont-Tremblant
S4467F2P Snetterton (L…
S4467F2A Snetterton (L…
S4455GPP Reims (1954-7…
S4455GPW Reims (1954-7…
S4466CA Michigan
Forthcoming
S4467F1W Aintree
S4467F1P Aintree
S4467F2P Sempione (193…
S4467F2A Sempione (193…
S4455GPP Oakes Field
S4455GPW Oakes Field
S4466CA Salzburgring

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Poll
Question: Do you want to enter the Season 21 Works Trophy?
Yes, expect 75% or more attendance - 15 (71.4%)
Yes, expect less than 75% attendance - 6 (28.6%)
Total Voters: 21

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Season 21 Works Trophy Registration  (Read 9745 times)
vosblod
Former UKGPL Moderators

can divide by zero

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2011, 11:09:58 PM +0100 »

For example, i've got Monaco PB 1.27.7 from 2006  Roll Eyes
1.27.7 would have put you third on the grid in our last Monaco outing here.

Your initial issue might be dusting off the rust but, and it is your call, I think you might find you outclass the Privateers. Pretty sure you will be vying for more then backmarker after a few runs out in Works but if it doesn't work out Privateers is always an option.
Tom van Ostade

"anything can happen, and it usually does"

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2011, 11:17:50 PM +0100 »

Steve, you could try Privateers this season, it's also fun to be fighting for the podium every once in a while. If you feel you are in an unfairly benificial position, you could try the Waza or even the Tank again for some extra satisfaction.

Also, it appeared to me as if the Works were a little bit better attended than the Privateers, so perhaps some people switching to Privateers could even things out a little bit more.

Tommie.

Hristo Itchov

There is no limit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2011, 11:50:42 PM +0100 »

Steve, you could try Privateers this season, it's also fun to be fighting for the podium every once in a while. If you feel you are in an unfairly benificial position, you could try the Waza or even the Tank again for some extra satisfaction.

Also, it appeared to me as if the Works were a little bit better attended than the Privateers, so perhaps some people switching to Privateers could even things out a little bit more.

Tommie.

He could've entered both if they were ran on alternative Sundays.  Undecided In fact that could've helped many Privateers gain more experience and produce closer racing through the field. Shame I never thought to propose it before the season. Oh well, next time!

b_1_rd
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2011, 02:16:55 PM +0100 »

OK, I think I'm going to take the step back to Privs, and perhaps work on driving the slower chassis, which will hopefully improve my technique in the long term.

Tim, please could you remove my vote in works and I'll go over to Privs and vote there.  I'll back this up with a PM, just in case.

Cheers.

Steve

Remember, you’re an individual, just like everyone else.
Tom van Ostade

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2011, 02:24:46 PM +0100 »

OK, I think I'm going to take the step back to Privs, and perhaps work on driving the slower chassis, which will hopefully improve my technique in the long term.

Tim, please could you remove my vote in works and I'll go over to Privs and vote there.  I'll back this up with a PM, just in case.

Cheers.

Just keep in mind, if you feel like you're going really slow, you're going the fastest. That's how it is in my case anyway. I think that's also why I'm usually faster in the race than I am in qually. Just keep in mind most time is lost braking too late for a corner, compromising the exit. Just try to follow the groove at Zandvoort on what you will feel as a crawl pace. You will see that lines are so much more important than speed. In fact, speed comes with driving the right lines, not the other way around.

Tommie.

vosblod
Former UKGPL Moderators

can divide by zero

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2011, 02:27:55 PM +0100 »

Tim, please could you remove my vote in works and I'll go over to Privs and vote there. 
Done
b_1_rd
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2011, 03:17:34 PM +0100 »

Thanks Tommy.  Yes I seem to know the theory, I just cant seem to put it in to practice!  laugh  I guess thats what separates the ones that try to go fast and the ones that can.  If it were easy, we'd all be doing it.  Practise Practise Practise Smiley

& Thanks Tim.

Steve

Hristo Itchov

There is no limit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2011, 04:04:10 PM +0100 »

Thanks Tommy.  Yes I seem to know the theory, I just cant seem to put it in to practice!  laugh  I guess thats what separates the ones that try to go fast and the ones that can.  If it were easy, we'd all be doing it.  Practise Practise Practise Smiley

& Thanks Tim.

As Yoda says, there is no trying - do or do not.  Grin You have to try and be conscious of every little movement you make, all the time, in every moment. Only then you will recognize what you need to change in your habits. In time, it becomes second nature, but first you have to make that change with a conscious effort and be persistent until it gets burned deep within your mind and muscle memory.

The best way to do it is to always be self-critical, for every braking, turn-in, mid-corner and corner exit area. "Did I turn in too early?", "Can I brake later?", "Should I hit a later apex?" and so on typical questsions which you can keep asking yourself all the time, especially in practice and qualifying, and even in the race, and make small adjustments every time you go out instead of repeating the same things as before just because it feels easier and is within your comfort zone. Even if it leads to mistakes and offs, it's the quickest way to improve.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 04:08:01 PM +0100 by Hristo Itchov » Logged

b_1_rd
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2011, 04:48:34 PM +0100 »

Thanks H.

I'm going to give a one chassis season a go and stick with the Cooper, hopefully that will hone some of these skills a little better where I can get used to what the car is doing and know it's not because I've changed chassis from the previous session or race.  If nothing else, it will be fun.   Smiley

Steve

Tom van Ostade

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2011, 09:48:18 PM +0100 »

My goal is always to hit the apex of a corner as late / deep into the corner as possible. This is because you accelerate the fastest in a straight line, or as close as you can get to it. If you hit the apex too early, try braking later. If you don't hit the apex at all, try braking sooner. Also, the golden rule is never lift off the throttle on exits, that really kills your laptime. Don't press the throttle unless you're absolutely sure you won't have to lift off again before braking for the next corner. If you are unsure whether or not you can begin accelarating, keep in mind you have to be very close to or at the apex before you can accelerate. When in doubt, brake some more. This will not nearly have as big an impact on your laptimes as lifting off on exit has.

The clue is to carry as much speed with you onto the straights, so focus on that, rather than going fast through the corners. After all, when you get your exits right, you gain time all along the straights, and you don't have to put any effort in for that at all Cheesy .

Tommie.

Hristo Itchov

There is no limit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2011, 10:15:59 PM +0100 »

Late apex only applies to slower corners, Tom. The faster the corner, the more the apex moves further towards the entry. It also depends what comes before the corner and what follows after it. Sometimes you have to sacrifice an entry or an exit. I.e. think of Masta's fast left-right - you hit early apex for the left-hander and sacrifice its exit, so you can take the right-hander flat out, with a later apex and thus carry more speed on the exit.

Also, that golden rule on never lifting up throttle on exit - do you mean we should rather go off than lift up if necessary?  Grin I guess you mean that any corrections to the throttle should be made well in advance, so you won't have to make big changes in speed once you're past the apex and thus avoid sacrificing your exit speed. It's about projecting where you think your car is going to go in the next couple of meters so you don't get surprised by going off the desired line.

Yes, otherwise totally true about transfering as much acceleration down the straights rather than trying to gain time by braking late. Braking lasts 2-3 seconds at most, usually not even that, while acceleration lasts up to half a minute at tracks like Spa and Monza, so you gain a lot more with earlier and better acceleration. The amount of time gained by braking a bit later is maybe a tenth or two at best, but if it means sacrificing your early acceleration and line through a corner, that converts into a loss of up to 1 second per corner-straight combination.

Arf Arf Arf

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2011, 02:10:26 PM +0100 »

Right, thanks to an ENORMOUS amount of BadBlood's time (respect and thanks to BB), it appears that I can connect online at last. BB went off on holiday before the momentous event took place, but last night I raced Baab over 3 courses (I had to host all, I can't connect to Baab, but I can connect to UKGPL), and they largely worked. Only in one race was the connection so good that it was just like racing AI, after that Baab started warping quite badly (ironically only after he'd moved to a wired connection..unless my wifi was the problem..).

Just one thing though. I can only get online to work if I disable SPI in my router's firewall - is it dangerous/bad idea to leave this like this? (BB doesn't know I've done this, so if its a horrendously stupid idea I just want you to know it was my idea alone...).

However, it seems to allow me a connection, so I would like to confirm that I'd like to enter the next season. I'm happy to be guided by the Mods as to whether I should be in Works or Privs. Here's a link to my ranks if it helps http://gplrank.schuerkamp.de/php-pub/user.php?showMonster=1,1,30323

Cheers

Arf^3

Arf Arf Arf

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2011, 02:16:40 PM +0100 »

..and just an extra thought.

If anyone connects via TalkTalk isp and a Huawei Echolife HG520b it would be interesting to compare my settings with yours

Ta

ArfArfArf
vosblod
Former UKGPL Moderators

can divide by zero

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2011, 02:42:20 PM +0100 »

However, it seems to allow me a connection, so I would like to confirm that I'd like to enter the next season. I'm happy to be guided by the Mods as to whether I should be in Works or Privs. Here's a link to my ranks if it helps http://gplrank.schuerkamp.de/php-pub/user.php?showMonster=1,1,30323
On the basis of your GPL Rank you are definately into Works territory. I think you might fall into the same position as Ivan in that it will come down to driving with others online.
TBH you would probably be too fast for Privateers and, as you have voted in Works anyway, I would stick with that for now. If it doesn't work out a transfer to Privateers is a possibility.

PS: I use Talk Talk, no idea of the hardware, with no problems.
Arf Arf Arf

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2011, 07:00:14 PM +0100 »

Fair enough Vosblod, happy to try Works, esp if Ivan is there to give me a race.

re TalkTalk, I think the router I have was standard issue by them for a time, so I'm just interested to see how others make it work. TalkTalk themselves defer to PortForward.com for setting it up, but the PF website isn't very helpful if things don't work even after you have followed the instructions to the letter (could that be cos they want you to pay $29 to let them do it.........surely not...)

Cheers

Arf^3
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com