Quarterly cost: �0

May 02, 2024, 07:37:00 PM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
S4455GPP
S4455GPW
S4466CA
S4467F1P
S4467F1W
S4467F2A
S4467F2P
S44JSMT
Recent
S4467F1W Mont-Tremblant
S4467F1P Mont-Tremblant
S4467F2P Snetterton (L…
S4467F2A Snetterton (L…
S4455GPP Reims (1954-7…
S4455GPW Reims (1954-7…
S4466CA Michigan
Forthcoming
S4467F1W Aintree
S4467F1P Aintree
S4467F2P Sempione (193…
S4467F2A Sempione (193…
S4455GPW Oakes Field
S4455GPP Oakes Field
S4466CA Salzburgring

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Goodwood Revival soon  (Read 4541 times)
maddog

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2012, 06:12:03 PM +0100 »

The presenter in that photo, looks suspiciously like a brother. Grin Only he's gone now - previous page, highly suspicious!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 06:13:50 PM +0100 by maddog » Logged
bernie

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2012, 07:11:26 PM +0100 »

On the subject of prizes , I believe this is the 2nd time you have been presented with a GPL  trophy ?

Seem to remember you wore the same shirt then but it seems to have shrunk a litle ?

to much washing perhaps  Grin
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2012, 08:14:59 PM +0100 »

Well remembered Bernie. I do indeed have 2 trophies, although I suspect that the most recent will be rather difficult to hang on to Undecided But the Season 13 Club Champion Trophy still sits on the shelf above my computer to remind me of past glories.  Wink One has to have some comfort in one's later years.

As for those shirts, I cannot recall how many times I have been forced to buy new garments because my wife has shrunk stuff in the new fangled washing machine!!!  I wish she would use the traditional tub and mangle that I so generously bought for her birthday 35yrs ago.  Everything fitted back then, so it must be the way she washes stuff?  Roll Eyes

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @    evilclive67
Rank   Only when I sweat
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2012, 08:55:58 PM +0100 »

I notice that none of those who made it to Goodwood have mentioned my accidental foray into the restricted paddock area early on Friday morning, where I wandered innocently ( well almost innocently! shifty) around some very exotic machinery taking as many pictures as I could. Apparently I should have been wearing a tie, they thought my T shirt not "not correct" ?? Oh! and not having the correct pass.

I am uploading a load of pics to photobucket and will post the URL ( or whatever link is required) for those who are interested to d/load.  I also have some short movie clips, not particularly great resolution but they give a flavour of the speed of the older cars. Any suggestions as to where I can put these for you guys to get at?

http://s1249.beta.photobucket.com/user/evilcliveGPL/media/100_2750_zps26d20994.jpg.html
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 09:21:48 PM +0100 by EvilClive » Logged

Rank   Only when I sweat
bernie

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2012, 09:43:39 PM +0100 »

great photo's of exotic machinary , did you perchance get to meet Jackie Ickx or Derek Bell both ex Ferrari men who were present afaik
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2012, 09:58:53 PM +0100 »

The crowds were too big and I hate queuing just to say hello and goodbye Bernie , but on Sunday I did get to see ( from a short distance) Phil Hill, Dan Gurney, Jackie Stewart, John Surtees, Derek Bell, Martin Brundle, Rowan Atkinson ( not sure if he counts!!lol), Nick Mason ( of Pink Floyd fame) who was driving one of the Auto Unions.
It was amazing just how many "names" were there and driving expensive and irreplaceable machinery as if their life depended on winning!!

But the real stars for me were the cars, oh! and of course my fellow GPL'ers  Roll Eyes

Jackie Stewart was driving one of the Silver arrows Mercedes and I have a short clip of film showing Jackie getting it very  wrong on the exit of the chicane and bouncing several million euros worth of vintage Merc across the grass on opp lock!  I imagine that there were a few insurance brokers throwing themselves off of tall buildings at that moment!!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 10:01:55 PM +0100 by EvilClive » Logged

Rank   Only when I sweat
Billy Nobrakes
UKGPL Divisional Moderator
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2012, 10:02:37 PM +0100 »

That was a massively enjoyable weekend. We dined on burgers, bacon rolls & beer. We breathed castrol & burnt rubber. Our eardrums were blasted - 45 minutes of the Cobras was more audio overload than the front row at a rock concert. Our eyes were mesmerised by the on track machinery. Those cars might cost hundreds of thousands but it didn't stop the drivers going all out - with several spins to prove it. Highlights were 1930's grand prix race where drivers battled with steering wheels the size of cart wheels to hurl through the apexes. The real attraction was the 65 cars - seeing the real life versions of the cars that we thrash round circuits every other week - but these guys had no Shift R. The special treat was a display of the Silver Arrows - Mercedes legendary machines from '37 to '39 that blitzed the opposition - & much more.
Even the fickle British weather was kind to us.
The best part was, however, was meeting up with the faces behind the sim cars.
I imagine most of the 2012 contingent will be going next year. For those that didn't you have a whole year to save up & plan.

Leading from the back at Black Night Racing
maddog

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2012, 10:07:50 PM +0100 »

I am uploading a load of pics to photobucket and will post the URL ( or whatever link is required) for those who are interested to d/load.  I also have some short movie clips, not particularly great resolution but they give a flavour of the speed of the older cars. Any suggestions as to where I can put these for you guys to get at?
You should be able to upload your video to this site, as per my example - https://vimeo.com/13800964
FullMetalGasket
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2012, 10:28:43 PM +0100 »

I notice that none of those who made it to Goodwood have mentioned my accidental foray into the restricted paddock area early on Friday morning, where I wandered innocently ( well almost innocently! shifty) around some very exotic machinery taking as many pictures as I could. Apparently I should have been wearing a tie, they thought my T shirt not "not correct" ?? Oh! and not having the correct pass.
Getting in there is a yearly hobby for me when I havn't managed to blag a VIP ticket  Grin
Admittedly my days of hobnobing with the wealthy have been over for a while now Sad
malgrips

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2012, 10:32:59 AM +0100 »

Hi

It was really great to meet all who could make it and i was immensely pleased and proud to present "EvilClive" with the JSMT.

I am looking forwards to next year and hope that Joe's sister Amelia will attend and present the Trophy in 2013.

Once again a big thank you to all at UKGPL for setting up and supporting the JSMT race series and for all the wonderful tributes to Joe that you gave.

Malcolm Shaw

Thank you Malcolm.
I confess that I found it difficult to find the right words when you produced that magnificent trophy at Goodwood.

Back when we all heard that very sad news about Joe, the idea of running this memorial series was the only fitting way that the members at UKGPL felt that we could show our affection and respect for someone we only knew through our virtual world.  It was to be our way of remembering a very likeable personality in pre race chat and on the forums, and a highly respected ( and very quick) racer within our virtual bubble.

I think I speak for all of the members at UKGPL when I say that we never expected anyone else to even notice what we did, after all we were "virtual" friends in virtual races playing a computer game ( sorry for offending those who consider GPL a simulation and not a game!) who just felt that we needed to do our own thing, in our own way.

It seems that the shock and depth of feeling for Joe within UKGPL somehow transmitted itself to Malcolm, and his subsequent acknowledgement of our personal tributes on this forum was more than perhaps we had any right to expect.

When Malcolm announced that he would provide and present a trophy for the proposed memorial series, we were all taken by surprise ( I know I was!!) especially when it transpired that he would be at the Goodwood Revival , somewhere I had wanted to go for years but never quite got around to.  

I think the very fact that Joe's family felt that they wanted to make this personal gesture spurred many of us within UKGPL to take our "virtual friendship" a stage further and make the effort to meet in person. As a result 5 of us assembled at Goodwood, I think maybe the largest real life gathering ever of UKGPL members in one place, and we owe this small step to Malcolm and his family and their love of Joe.
(Those of us that were there are committed to getting a far bigger turnout next year with maybe even some of our international members being persuaded to make the journey.)

It was very clear that my expectation of receiving modest trophy did not take fully into account Malcolm's great love for his son and his wish that Joe be remembered, year on year, in a fitting manner.
I might have been fortunate in winning the series ( all my wins are lucky!! ) , but I can honestly say that I am immensely honoured and at the same time very humbled, to be the recipient of this trophy

Thank you Malcolm, I know it was not an easy thing for you and your good wife to receive us at Goodwood and that your memories of Joe are still understandably raw. I am absolutely sure that the community at UKGPL will continue to remember Joe with the great affection and respect that his memory deserves, both as a genuine racer in real life and "on line" but more importantly perhaps as a really nice guy.

I look forward to meeting you again next year at the Goodwood Revival, although I doubt if I will be taking the trophy home with me in 2013. Now that everyone can see how stunning it is, the competition is likely to be very intense.

Clive

Thank you, Joe would probably have been embarrassed by all this but secretly delighted too  Smiley

"Its Work Jim but not as we know it"
bernie

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2012, 11:28:42 PM +0100 »

That was a massively enjoyable weekend. We dined on burgers, bacon rolls & beer. We breathed castrol & burnt rubber. Our eardrums were blasted - 45 minutes of the Cobras was more audio overload than the front row at a rock concert. Our eyes were mesmerised by the on track machinery. Those cars might cost hundreds of thousands but it didn't stop the drivers going all out - with several spins to prove it. Highlights were 1930's grand prix race where drivers battled with steering wheels the size of cart wheels to hurl through the apexes. The real attraction was the 65 cars - seeing the real life versions of the cars that we thrash round circuits every other week - but these guys had no Shift R. The special treat was a display of the Silver Arrows - Mercedes legendary machines from '37 to '39 that blitzed the opposition - & much more.
Even the fickle British weather was kind to us.
The best part was, however, was meeting up with the faces behind the sim cars.
I imagine most of the 2012 contingent will be going next year. For those that didn't you have a whole year to save up & plan.

Keep saying I'll get there every year , but it always seems to be "next " year  Undecided

Of coarse we have the Oulton Park GOLD CUP meeting here upt' north , not quite Goodwood revival , but very enjoyable , plus ive had a freeby exhibitors ticket for the last 3 years , sadly finished for this years meeting .

Also have the Chumly Pageant of power which grows bigger every year , bit pricey though these days , but then I bet not many of you bought a programme for the speed fes which I believe was rather extortionate  Shocked
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2012, 09:01:06 PM +0100 »

Just a couple of short videos to teat that I have Vimeo set up correctly. All of the clips are quite short ( the cars went past very quickly!!) except for the pedal car race which involved Florence....who won. ( commentary by Murray Walker Shocked )

The young lady doing all the shouting in my ear later confessed to being Florence's teacher and apologised!!  lol

https://vimeo.com/user13603657/videos

If this works I have a few clips of the Silver Arrows

Rank   Only when I sweat
dave curtis
UKGPL Server Provider
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2012, 09:13:42 PM +0100 »

Your area appears to be there (hey - you joined 35mins ago!); albeit without any videos at the moment.

"Sorry, no videos found"

I'll check back a bit later.    Cheers for the other piccies btw!

Cheers,
Dave.
dave curtis
UKGPL Server Provider
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2012, 09:40:26 PM +0100 »

Ah, here we go!

Nice one Florence!
malgrips

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2012, 10:10:48 PM +0100 »

The real attraction was the 65 cars - seeing the real life versions of the cars that we thrash round circuits every other week - but these guys had no Shift R.

I have to agree with you Billy. We stood down at Lavant Corner and could watch the action on one of the big sreens as well as the cars passing by in the flesh. It was amazingly similar to watching a replay of the 2010 "Mods vs Rockers" fun race  (S20Fun_ModsRocker_Goodwood.rpy). The camera angles were much the same too!

M

"Its Work Jim but not as we know it"
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com