Quarterly cost: �0

nonchalant-unilinear
May 03, 2024, 07:49:43 AM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
S4455GPP
S4455GPW
S4466CA
S4467F1P
S4467F1W
S4467F2A
S4467F2P
S44JSMT
Recent
S4467F1W Mont-Tremblant
S4467F1P Mont-Tremblant
S4467F2P Snetterton (L…
S4467F2A Snetterton (L…
S4455GPP Reims (1954-7…
S4455GPW Reims (1954-7…
S4466CA Michigan
Forthcoming
S4467F1P Aintree
S4467F1W Aintree
S4467F2P Sempione (193…
S4467F2A Sempione (193…
S4455GPP Oakes Field
S4455GPW Oakes Field
S4466CA Salzburgring

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Linked Events
  • S22 F2 Easter Cup - Hockenheim: April 06, 2012
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: UKGPL Season 22 - F2 Easter Cup - Hockenheim - Apr 6  (Read 3995 times)
blito
UKGPL Asst Divisional Moderator
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2012, 10:36:41 PM +0100 »

Race posts are always in reference to UK time which is presently British Summer Time = GMT+1

Jason Blito
kinghiro

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2012, 11:22:35 PM +0100 »

So I m not the only one with blury mirrors. I repeat here (maybe more will see) that I put mirror.mip from cars67 into the cars folder for F2 and it now works great. The 32 kb mirror.mip that was there was same size as the lowres one for 69 cars. no other carsfolders had 32 kb versions of the file but only 128 kb. 69 s had 32 kb lowres and 128 kb highres.I siuspect more pps have same problem (If youre like me and look at it as a problem). Promise to stop nagging about it now . Intentions are good Smiley
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 11:25:48 PM +0100 by kinghiro » Logged
Hristo Itchov

There is no limit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2012, 01:39:49 AM +0100 »

So I m not the only one with blury mirrors. I repeat here (maybe more will see) that I put mirror.mip from cars67 into the cars folder for F2 and it now works great. The 32 kb mirror.mip that was there was same size as the lowres one for 69 cars. no other carsfolders had 32 kb versions of the file but only 128 kb. 69 s had 32 kb lowres and 128 kb highres.I siuspect more pps have same problem (If youre like me and look at it as a problem). Promise to stop nagging about it now . Intentions are good Smiley

Have you tried different settings for the Mirror Size and Direct Mirror Rendering in the rasterizer section of core.ini?

john roberts
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2012, 02:03:50 AM +0100 »

Have you tried different settings for the Mirror Size and Direct Mirror Rendering in the rasterizer section of core.ini?

tom is right , if you want better mirrors in f2 just copy a 128k mirror mip from another carset (main car folder) .

it has nothing to do with settings for the Mirror Size and Direct Mirror Rendering in the rasterizer section of core.ini .

as tom said he's posting the solution if you want hi res mirrors .

john
kinghiro

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2012, 02:56:07 AM +0100 »

Yes H that was the first I tried to fiddle with, but since I got same settings for all carsets, I didn t expect improvement. I had direct mirrorrender ticked and mirrorsize 0. I m glad I found the soulution now confirmed by John Smiley. Will edit "put it" to "replaced it". Don t know what will happen if both is there like in 69 s,but why bother trying Cheesy
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 03:03:51 AM +0100 by kinghiro » Logged
JonnyO

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2012, 06:03:03 AM +0100 »

First of all very sorry to the pilot wanted to Cookie.
  It was most unfortunate that the accident did in GPL,  Cookie was competitive and their chances were destroyed before the 1st turn.

At the moment of pressing the brake, just pressed the wrong button.

I'm sorry.
Cookie
UKGPL Divisional Moderator
UKGPL Moderators

Chris Amon fan

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2012, 12:27:21 PM +0100 »

Yeah Jonny, that's life...
Faith paid me back what I did with Geoff in Monza!

But it was really hard to keep up without tow, even if you have a car that can't be passed on the straights...

I had a maximum of 272 kmh without and 287 kmh with tow  Wink

Axel "Cookie"

poor, he who sees no stars without the punch in the face

an aphorism of  Stanislaus Jercy Lec
blito
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2012, 02:24:07 PM +0100 »

Not bad speeds though Cookie - about 7km/h fast than my Matra......  But hockenheim is ALL about the tow - the guy in front can never pull away!
Its a nice feeling to able to report on the action from the front for a change, and what action!! From the very first lap I found myself in a breakaway group of 4 comprising Evilclive, John Roberts, Tom Oulie ( is that Kinghiro btw?) and myself. The pace was fast but the racing mostly very clean - I was especially impressed with Evil and Tom being so thoughtful about leaving space. It almost passed without incident but a combination of Johns aggressiveness ( he does like to squeeze people ) and my nobbieness led to a bit of bumper car naughtiness... Tom lost out most from our group and had to settle for 4th.... I lost out at Ostkutve on the last lap and had to settle for 3rd whilst JR lost out to Evil on the final drag to the stadium.... But really that win could have gone to any one of us!
In all, an exciting race against some very classy opponents... lets hope I can hold this level of perfomance at the next two tracks!!!

Jason Blito
kinghiro

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2012, 07:00:54 PM +0100 »

Yes I m Thomas Oulie. Atlas require realnames used and I didn t bother making a new driver. I was very sad to miss out of the last laps. I did some indycar and indycar 2 driving in the 90 s and had my plan set  Wink, but it required 2 nd spot into the slow parts. Space up a bit and use the first straight to get close(hard to pass me there cause I can use tow from first spot and the one behind loose it when turning to pass). Then space a bit again in the fast righthander and pass at the end of the long straight and take inside line.Ofc I would have eager battlers on my tail and rest would be roll with the punches. That was my initial plan , but maybe others had their own ideas and I find myself on last spot with one to go Cheesy
 But what happened. I had my dreamspot, but it was five laps to go and it didn t matter what position we had. I braked normally after the long straight and usully Blito tucked in behind in that situation. No warning from sound and I started for some stupid reason to turn my wheel a little bit while I check my side to see Blito diving passed me.  Both him and me were close to the idealline and I through my car left and braked. The smallest wheel touch in the world with my right front and his left rear did happen and I was a bit out of balance but recovered in a split sec. phew I thought ...always one or to "that was close" during a close race...Then blam..Evil had no space to stop for this little misshap. Cant blame Evil for doing anything illegal , but I spaced up way more when there was a side by side just in front. Always do, but on this track there were absolutly no reason to stay close. There were only the four of us and we had these towstraights.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 07:04:32 PM +0100 by kinghiro » Logged
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2012, 10:47:43 PM +0100 »

I guess that I was more lucky than I deserved for this race, any one of the 4 who broke got clear of the field could have won.

Getting a front row position was a freak lap where i picked up the draft at one point and was lucky in avoiding traffic in the stadium section. To be honest, I think anywhere near the front 5 or 6 places is good enough around Hockenheim because of the immense slipstream effect. The only advantage about being at the very front is that there is less likelyhood of getting caught up in someone else's spin or crash.

I did not save the replay so I am not sure but I am assuming that some sort of incident allowed our 4 car group to escape??

The very fact that a 4 car group got clear improved the chances of a podium finish for all of us, but with 3 medals and 4 cars someone was going to be disappointed!! It soon became apparent that without a major mistake by one or more of the other cars no-one was going to romp away into the distance, although Jason seemed intent on proving how fast his Matra was at every opportunity!!  lol we all had great fun picking up the draft and sweeping past the others, but sometimes with cars 2 abreast in front it was prudent to back off and avoid any possibility of contact.

At about half distance I had drafted into the lead past John and we were approaching the braking zone for the Ostkurve, a quick glane in my mirrors showed John about 15 mtrs back and I was just about to take the line through the apex when ....John hurtled past at warp factor 10 with apparent brake failure and promptly disappeared across the grass outfield. And so there were 3.
I could see on prib that John had not trashed his car and had in fact rejoined, but he was about 4-5 secs back and out of any slipstream, all we 3 had to do was work together for a few laps and draw away even further. Instead of which we conspired to put in lap times about 2 secsonds slower that John  Undecided.... 3 became 4 again!! Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

We were now getting down to the final 10 laps and I did a quick check to be sure I had enough fuel. It was marginal so I stayed in the slip stream for a few laps and saved an amazing amount of juice. It was all going to come down to the last lap I felt and slipstream was going to decide who ended where.
Then John and Jason had a demon braking effort into the stadium section and Tom was caught out on the outside of the first right hander with me behind him. I'm not sure if there was some warp contact between Jason and Tom or if Tom suddenly braked hard and junked out to the left, but either way , despite my attempt to avoid him I managed to clip his rear wheel and both he and I had a spin. I got away again without any apparent damage and had a 200 mtr gap to close up on Jason and john with only 2 laps to go.
I blitzed the stadium section in an attempt to hang on to the draft down the straight and just about got close enough to hold on. Then jason and John got side by side into Ostkurve and a wheel on the grass lsft Jason stranded and John in the lead. But now I was well and truly getting the tow  Grin.
The last lap was a case of being sure to make the pass where it would stick and lead into the Stadium section, which I did but John was hard on my tail. I had to keep it clean and fast throught the tight bits to take the win.
A shame that the spectators were denied a spectacular last lap dice between 4 cars, but I can only say that from my viewpoint I was extremely grateful that it was not such a tight finish!!!  Roll Eyes

Big grats to John Jason and Tom for some epic slipstream battles.

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @    evilclive67
Rank   Only when I sweat
blito
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2012, 11:14:27 AM +0100 »

The Matra was not as fast as you seem to think! Comparing Cookies best of 169MPH without tow to my best of 165mph without tow, but where the Matra was good was on the gas out of Ostkurve but I put that down to my 60/30/2 diff settings.
Im not expecting to show such pace at Albi though - struggling with Understeer in the slow corners and cant get below 1:15 Sad

Jason Blito
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2012, 12:10:02 PM +0100 »

But Cookie was in the Protos which I briefly tested for Hocky and that car is definitely faster in a straight line, but what it gained on the straight it seemed to lose through the stadium section. Plus, at this circuit I could not see the Protos being able to get clear of the pack, when even the slowest car would tuck into the draft from the Protos and stay with him on the straights.

I felt trhat it would be much more useful to have a car that would be stable under very late braking and handle well through the stadium section, so I stuck with the Lola. If Cookie , or anyone else in a Protos had been able to somehow get a 4-5 second lead he might have made it difficult to reel him in, but I doubt he could have stayed on his own for long ,when even my Lola was pulling 178mph when I got a good tow. So 2 cars working together for a few laps would soon close up.  Speed is not everything..but it helps  Wink

yeah, yeah, yeah  Roll Eyes Jason will be slow at Albi.   Sand and Bags come to mind !!! loloololololol

I think that you have found a setup and car that you like Jason and that has given you a whole new perspective on GPL.
Without wishing to appear patronising, all you have to do is to relax and try to get used to running at the sharp end of the field. Unfortunately this is where small mistakes can prove to be very costly, and they are not always your mistakes  Undecided.

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @    evilclive67
Rank   Only when I sweat
kinghiro

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2012, 09:58:08 PM +0100 »

I saw rpy and John did a beautiful 360 and accelerated on. He didn t even flinch if I know him right. a mix of good driving from John and some miscommunication between Jason and me in the slipping allowed him him catch up with us again.
I looked at the incident and I didn t brake much .GPL s physics engine decided to cut of 30 mph from a small small tyre touch. shit happens.
Baab

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2012, 10:51:44 PM +0100 »

Quite a fun race this one...I didn't have time for qual so started dead last and sure enough got straight into a 'situation'...which I caused!  Sorry to Giovanni, who I caught with my right front and somehow managed to flip him...  After getting going again I managed to hamper my efforts by spinning a few times.  I took the protos after watching the Monza race and seeing how fast it was...though I did wonder about its capabilities in the slower stuff.  Thinking more about it, your strategy makes more sense Clive...but as I ran alone for much of this race perhaps my choice wasn't too bad.  I set the car up in a praccy session with the gearing, then decided to throw in a 45/45 diff...which made the car steer pretty well but a bit tail happy.

I managed to pick up a few places through the race and for the last few laps ran with Goran and Juha.  Unfortunately on the last lap I steamed past Goran on the first long straight to leave myself open on the run in to the stadium complex.  I went defensive but Goran pulled a good pass around the outside with the use of the slipstream.  I then thought about a pass on the twisty bits span to finish 7th!  Entertaining though.

Hopefully see you at Albi, I haven't yet tried the track and may choose my third different chassis!!

Bob
blito
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2012, 03:04:32 PM +0100 »

Im sticking with the MS7, just changing the gearing and swapping the 60/30 diff to a 60/60.....

Jason Blito
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com