Quarterly cost: �0

nonchalant-unilinear
May 03, 2024, 07:41:10 AM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
S4455GPP
S4455GPW
S4466CA
S4467F1P
S4467F1W
S4467F2A
S4467F2P
S44JSMT
Recent
S4467F1W Mont-Tremblant
S4467F1P Mont-Tremblant
S4467F2P Snetterton (L…
S4467F2A Snetterton (L…
S4455GPP Reims (1954-7…
S4455GPW Reims (1954-7…
S4466CA Michigan
Forthcoming
S4467F1W Aintree
S4467F1P Aintree
S4467F2P Sempione (193…
S4467F2A Sempione (193…
S4455GPP Oakes Field
S4455GPW Oakes Field
S4466CA Salzburgring

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Poll
Question: Do you want to enter the Season 20 Novices Trophy?
Yes, expect 75% or more attendance - 20 (87%)
Yes, expect less than 75% attendance - 3 (13%)
Total Voters: 23

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13
  Print  
Author Topic: Season 20 Novices Trophy Registration  (Read 20335 times)
Hristo Itchov

There is no limit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: September 30, 2010, 02:52:00 PM +0100 »

Yes, also make sure not to brake too deep into corners until you get used to trail-braking. Rather try to get off the brakes smoothly and be slightly on the throttle to balance the car once you turn in, letting it decelerate gradually. These cars are driven much more with the throttle and brake than the steering wheel, use the latter only to set an initial direction and for corrections, then use the throttle to control the weight distribution back and forth to influence the grip level at each axle.

Billy Nobrakes
UKGPL Divisional Moderator
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 30, 2010, 03:38:38 PM +0100 »

Well thanks for that - I was feeling that I might be competitive ish when you said 1:34 but I can't do better than 1:32 at Slosport. Everyone tells me I will get better and that I should drive within my capabilities ...
Paul - what set up are you using - maybe it just doesn't suit your driving style? Assume you are using the Rice Burner (Honda). Not one of my favourites but I have a reasonably stable set up for Mosport - I will e-mail it to you shortly.

Leading from the back at Black Night Racing
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 30, 2010, 06:41:10 PM +0100 »

Paul, getting the hairpin right is something that took me a long time to get anywhere near right, and I'm still trying to improve as it seems there is still time to be gained through that section.
I would guess that like me you are making the mistake of going in too deep and too fast on a setup that( as has already been said) bottoms out in the dip.

This leaves you with a car that is more or less a missile as you hit the uphill right hander , and propels you either a)  into the barrier on the outside
or
b) you miss the barrier ( just) and slide wildly across the grass??.

The loss of any directional control is almost certainly because you are "bottoming out" in the dip and yes, GPL does punish you for doing that Wink

Try this approach ( in private where no-one will laugh when you get it wrong) Roll Eyes Then adapt it to suit your own style.

After you come over the crest at the top of the hill approaching the dip, give a squirt on the gas, not necessarily flooring the throttle pedal, but enough to settle the car .
As you pass the section of armco on your right, brake hard, but get off the brakes and probably into 2nd gear before you hit the bottom of the dip. By doing that you will allow the car to regain full ride height before the springs are compressed again by the physics of GPL by the dip.(If you still seem to lose all control at this point then go back and either raise the ride height or stiffen the springs a little, and try again.)
With any luck you will now be hugging the inside kerb and gently accelerating up the incline, aiming for the outside of the track just beyond the end of the armco.
Personally I drop into 1st gear as soon as I have crested that short rise and settle the car for the hairpin, but this might depend on your selected gear ratios and you might wish to stay in 2nd. Practice will tell you from this point what is the best line through this tight corner. I try and take a late(ish) apex but avoid that kerb on the inside, because any contact with that will ruin your corner!!
The important thing here is not your ENTRY speed into the hairpin, but a clean and smooth EXIT onto the straight where you get the power down under control and are not fighting a bar of soap with springs fitted.

Hope this helps you a little to understand what is going on around there. Basically there are so many elements to this short section of track that you will need to practice this a few times( about 500 should do it Grin ) to get a feel for what is happening. When you do get it sort of right you will wonder why it was such a problem before.................honest lol

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @    evilclive67
Rank   Only when I sweat
BadBlood
Former UKGPL Moderators

Sassafrassarassum Rick Rastardly!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: September 30, 2010, 10:56:03 PM +0100 »

Thank you Billy. I suspect it is not just the setup Sad

Clive, thanks for the advice - I can always exit the hairpin smoothly because a Shift-R sets me up really nicely  Grin

BadBlood

aka

Angel Moose angel
GPLRank +71.5ish Smiley
GPL65Rank +71.1ish Smiley
Other ranks? Middlin' Slowish Wink
blito
UKGPL Asst Divisional Moderator
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 01, 2010, 06:50:48 AM +0100 »

lol badblood Cheesy

as for setups - i have no bottoming issues, using about 3.25in of ride hight, 1in bump stops and no3 springs.
As everyone here has said already the trick is to be cautious going in to the hairpin.
Coming through the the left hand sweeper in 4th on the gas, braking imediately after and coming down two gears to turn into the first apex totally off the gas. come down to 1st after the apex and keep off the gas so that you can get the nose of the car into the 2nd apex. get too much entry speed and you miss the apex and are slow out. that second apex will cut about 1 sec off the laptime through superior straight line speed.

If you want we can meet in the ukgpl chat room on igor next tuesday for a practice session.

Jason Blito
BadBlood
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: October 01, 2010, 12:35:26 PM +0100 »

That would be good. I am going to have a go at the Through Time challenge or whatever it is called. At least at Monza I don't lose monster time, still can't keep up though Sad

BadBlood

aka

Angel Moose angel
GPLRank +71.5ish Smiley
blito
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 01, 2010, 07:10:05 PM +0100 »

I actually thought i would be be bringing up the rear for the first few races but at least now i know i wont be alone back there.
if it makes you feel any better, i`m only anticipating a race pace around 1;30 for the pack, and perhaps 1:28 at the front.
for racing online i think its best to lap a little off your best times in order to make fewer mistakes. Go 1 sec per lap slower and you lose, what 23 secs per race? try to go faster and you will crash more and each crash and shift+r is gonna cost more time.

Jason Blito
BadBlood
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: October 03, 2010, 12:52:34 AM +0100 »

Can't say it makes me feel much better Sad Pack pace of 1:30 should mean that I lose about three to four seconds a lap so I might not get lapped by everybody  Grin I am assuming that the race is Intermediate long which is 27 laps. Makes me smile to think you are worrying about bringing up the rear - I would KILL for a GPL rank of 13 - only 215 seconds to find...

BadBlood

aka

Angel Moose angel
GPLRank +71.5ish Smiley
blito
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 03, 2010, 09:03:13 AM +0100 »

ahh yes but remember that my GPL rank was established in 2002-2004. I didnt play GPL at all from 2005 until about 6 weeks ago! My current 1967 pace would have given me a gplrank over 100 i think. I still recall my first season of ukgpl, i was so far off the pace it was embarrasing! I actually blew my lotus 49 up on the starting grid of the pre-season practice race! And yet, by .the end of the season i was regulary scoring points!
Just keep with it m8,set yourself some easily reachable goals, such as not falling off the track every 3 laps, and you`ll find the pace will come.

Jason Blito
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 03, 2010, 11:27:41 AM +0100 »

Good advice Blito  Wink

As you have pointed out ( and something that eventually penetrated the dense matter that passes for a brain here  Undecided ) trying to race at your PB inevitably causes you to have mishaps, and in the Novices a Shift/R is the result.

My first few races on-line were classic "noobie, hot lapper" with more "offs" than you could count. I think my debut was Mosport and I managed to take out a few of the leaders as they came around to lap me (after only 4-5 laps!!) I was about as popular as a fart in a spacesuit. Roll Eyes

In the those days I think we were allowed penalty free Shift R's, but I quickly realised that any trip into the greenery would lose at least 20 secs from the car in front by the time one had reset and got back up to speed with cold tyres.
Add to that the requirement now to do a StopnGo and that doubles the penalty for a mistake to somewhere close to 35-40 secs at some circuits. It does not take a mathematical genius ( otherwise I would not have worked it out!!) to realise that a driver who is 10 secs a lap faster but goes off every 3 rd lap is probably slower than one who stays on track and avoids the green stuff?

The only time that matters is your overall race time and where you are when the chequered flag is shown.  Wink

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @    evilclive67
Rank   Only when I sweat
Hristo Itchov

There is no limit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: October 03, 2010, 12:01:57 PM +0100 »

A fellow simracer, Richard Ingham, just sent me an amazing thing - a whole GPL Driving Course program, initially made by Jim Pearson in early GPL years and now compiled into one thing called GPL Operative Guide to GPL by Jens Lindblad (don't know him, but apparently another simracer).

I suggest anyone new or struggling with GPL to read it carefully and take action. I also suggest you begin with Chapter 14 - Appendix A: Zen and the art of GPL. It can be quite an eye opener and helpful to your way of thinking and approach to simracing in regard to improving your skills and speed.

Here's a link, I'm also going to make a post in the general GPL section:

http://hotfile.com/dl/73441231/939b22f/GPL_Driving_course.zip.html

Artiglietti

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 04, 2010, 09:21:47 AM +0100 »

Hi guys, have a couple of questions that popped up during the week end, guess someone will be able to help me on here Grin

Yesterday I tried to join the Monza race, and I think it needed a password although on the presentation thread it said 'open event'. Not sure what went wrong there, already posted on that thread and waiting for the reply. However, I would really hate to be denied to spin my way around Mosport come next Tuesday, so will I need a password to join then? How does this work?? Huh

Second question is for those annoying stop&gos you are talking about. I looked up on the regulations, couldnt find my way to the explanation of how you actually do them. My idea is, after I ripped off a couple of wheels at moss, I shift-R, complete the lap, dive into the pits, stop somewhere randomly on the right of the white line (if there is one...), then flat out of the pits and getting on with with the good work. Problem is, stop for how much? Do I just need to stop the car completely for a millisecond??! Or not??

miner2049er
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: October 04, 2010, 09:51:40 AM +0100 »

This page is aimed at taking pitstops under the pistop handicapping method but does still tell you where to take them.

https://www.ukgpl.com/index.php/rules/pitstops

Basically within a car width of the stalls so as to leave the pit lane unblocked.

Following a SHIFT R you should take the Stop n Go the next time you pass the pit lane where possible and you simply need to come to a complete stop and then go again, no waiting, just Stop n Go.

If you take a SHIFT R for a blameless incident then it is considered a free SHIFT R and does not require a Stop n Go. Only take a Stop n Go for an incident which is your fault or through car damage acquired through bad driving on your part, ie not lifting for gear changes etc.

Ronniepeterson

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 04, 2010, 09:59:51 AM +0100 »

Hi Miner2049er

Regarding Shift-R the info provided in the overview for the Privateer series states:-

A Shift-R (fault or not) MUST be followed by a Stop & Go. A Shift-R for tyres/fuel is not allowed. Any driver taking more then ONE
Shift-R OR failing to take a Stop & Go will be disqualified from the race result.

Can someone clarify whether no fault shift-R's require a stop and go or not?Huh?
Ronniepeterson

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 04, 2010, 10:04:50 AM +0100 »

Sorry wrong thread please ignore and forgive me. offtopic
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com