Quarterly cost: �0

May 03, 2024, 07:49:14 AM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
S4455GPP
S4455GPW
S4466CA
S4467F1P
S4467F1W
S4467F2A
S4467F2P
S44JSMT
Recent
S4467F1W Mont-Tremblant
S4467F1P Mont-Tremblant
S4467F2P Snetterton (L…
S4467F2A Snetterton (L…
S4455GPP Reims (1954-7…
S4455GPW Reims (1954-7…
S4466CA Michigan
Forthcoming
S4467F1W Aintree
S4467F1P Aintree
S4467F2P Sempione (193…
S4467F2A Sempione (193…
S4455GPP Oakes Field
S4455GPW Oakes Field
S4466CA Salzburgring

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Season 19 - Mid Season Review  (Read 10656 times)
G Jonsson
UKGPL Divisional Moderator
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2010, 09:15:38 AM +0100 »

The 'mod report published' thing is working well already.  Thanks guys.

Well, no sign of any from the Historic so far.

Göran
Ross Neilson
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2010, 10:51:45 AM +0100 »

Can I just check where we are in terms of contributing? Are we due another payment?

I was wondering about this too, I presume we will be able to contribute again next quarter, which should start 1st July?

Ross

Racing as Ross Neilson 65/66/69 for Clark-Hill Racing
maestro57

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2010, 11:30:31 AM +0100 »

Having just had a sneaky go on it at work

I am so jealous and obviously in the wrong job

"You win some, lose some, and wreck some."
FullMetalGasket
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2010, 12:51:39 PM +0100 »

No you don't! It's rubbish!
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2010, 03:21:40 PM +0100 »

.................and anyway, what job entitles you to a high spec graphics computer and the time to play GPL Tim?Huh Roll Eyes

I am one of the directors and I can't get away with that!! or am I doing something wrong here?Huh?

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @    evilclive67
Rank   Only when I sweat
FullMetalGasket
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2010, 03:47:28 PM +0100 »

The pc's rubbish too!
2.4gig P4 and an archaic Radeon 7500 (at least 10 years old) graphics card  Shocked
I had to turn the res down to 800x600 to do a lap of Targa at lunch despite having the low detail version installed (39 mins 59 secs for anyone interested - can't drive using my pad anymore Sad ) and still had frame rate drops.

Evil:
I get away with it because I need a machine with full rights to test tape drive backup and restore ops, so effectively have 'my own' pc which isn't on the network  Grin
Billy Nobrakes
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2010, 04:21:33 PM +0100 »

We set very high standards at Black Night Racing - goofing off work to play GPL is one of the highest achievements.

Leading from the back at Black Night Racing
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2010, 07:46:13 PM +0100 »

lol!!

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @    evilclive67
Rank   Only when I sweat
G Jonsson
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2010, 11:48:27 PM +0100 »

Sorry Billy, I have trouble living up to the standard. The computer I have in the buss I am driving can`t cope with GPL at all, it can only make tickets.

Göran
vosblod
Former UKGPL Moderators

can divide by zero

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2010, 02:34:41 AM +0100 »

One question.
Shouldn't we be democratic and have an election for the Chief Mod, Membership Secretary and Moderators?
Hristo Itchov

There is no limit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2010, 03:29:17 AM +0100 »

One question.
Shouldn't we be democratic and have an election for the Chief Mod, Membership Secretary and Moderators?

Who are the candidates?

Phil Thornton
UKGPL Consigliere
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2010, 12:41:46 PM +0100 »

Yes we could.  There is only one post in the UKGPL management hierarchy that wouldn't be up for election, the web master.   Dave Gymer owns SRou and the UKGPL domain name so although he doesn't get involved in the day to day running of UKGPL we couldn't run the league without him.

There is no reason why anyone couldn't do any of the other jobs.  Most of the tasks and who does what are defined here.  The only job that isn't there explicitly is the Chief Moderator.  I'll update the roles and responsibilities page so it covers everything then, if we do decide to have an election, the candidates will know exactly what they are volunteering for.
vosblod
Former UKGPL Moderators

can divide by zero

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2010, 04:01:48 PM +0100 »

I'll update the roles and responsibilities page so it covers everything then, if we do decide to have an election, the candidates will know exactly what they are volunteering for.
Ahh yes there is the work and the pay isn't much good  Wink

It's probably not worth an election unless there is anyone else aspiring to any of the roles, if there is guess post here or PM Phil?
Maybe keep it as a footnote in future reviews so the option is always there. For my part I'm happy to continue my role in UKGPL.
Al Heller
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2010, 04:09:18 PM +0100 »

Just realised I hadn't addressed most of Phil's original questions, so...

Amateurs – happy with race length & PRO rules as I think it can help to vary the results. Sadly I don’t think shift-r would work in senior leagues as the quickest drivers could probably manage a reset + stop & go & still win. Plus of course it would mean a lot more work for the mods who would have to look at all the pitstops & no-fault resets.

Re: promotion/relegation. While promotion of last season’s top 3 has worked pretty well, I’m not convinced it should be a hard & fast rule. Some of the fastest guys in Novs are in handicapped chassis so might not finish in the championship top 3. Better to carry on judging it on an individual basis. Relegation is also tricky as the slowest Ams might dominate Novs (though the handicap system could take care of that problem…)

One further thought on handicapping - if there are concerns about Novs switching cars too much using the proposed handicap system, perhaps a combination of handicap & chassis allocation would work for them? So everyone has an allocated chassis as now but BT7 & Cooper are reserved only for the top 2 in the championship. In that scenario, only the fastest (and presumably most capable) drivers would ever have to change chassis & might revert back to their regular chassis after one race anyway.

But then I have some problems with the order of cars. IMHO when it comes to the 65 cars the order ought to be Lotus, Ferrari, BT11, BRM, Honda, Cooper and BT7, I don`t know why the BT11 has so low ranking here.
I agree with Goran. Though I guess the BRM moves ahead of the BT11 on tracks with more straights? Handicapping depending on the track would hopefully take that into account.

Grads – Happy as it is. Like the strategic element of tokens which can really help level the field. Mixed grids are a bit of an issue though – numbers are a bit low for separate grids but mixed grids lead to problems for both Privateers & Works runners. No idea if allowing resets in Privateers would increase participation, but the current low finishing rate does offer any aspiring 67 driver a good finish if they can bring a car home so thought that might increase interest.

Spec Races – have to admit I also preferred it when it was informal & non-championship. Would prefer less 65’s (but I know I’m in a minority there!) & more 66’s, 67’s, 69’s, Thunder Cars (& any other new mods that might be appearing). As a spec series, results in Lights tend to be a bit of a foregone conclusion so wonder whether longterm interest in the series might wane in some quarters.

Servers – not had any problems with server – seems to work well.

Moderating – appreciate that this takes a lot of time for the mods & am grateful for their efforts. I thought the track choices in all divisions this season were great – really have enjoyed the variety as it can get a bit predictable running the same old Papy tracks all the time. As a few people have said, would be ideal if moderation could be done before next race but fully understand that it isn’t always possible.

Rule Changes – with regard to the whole weaving/breaking tow debate, I’m rather confused about what is & isn’t allowed so would appreciate a new rule clarification. Echoing what Vos said, the simpler the better…
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 04:12:00 PM +0100 by Al Heller » Logged
vosblod
Former UKGPL Moderators

can divide by zero

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2010, 04:29:25 PM +0100 »

One further thought on handicapping - if there are concerns about Novs switching cars too much using the proposed handicap system, perhaps a combination of handicap & chassis allocation would work for them? So everyone has an allocated chassis as now but BT7 & Cooper are reserved only for the top 2 in the championship. In that scenario, only the fastest (and presumably most capable) drivers would ever have to change chassis & might revert back to their regular chassis after one race anyway.
I think this is a really good idea and a half way house for the Novices. Those at the top, presumably who have reasonable skill, can cope with chassis changes whilst others will not have to keep chopping and changing.

Turning to the Graduates, see there is some debate with one grid / more drivers v two grids / less numbers. Would appreciate any comments from those that have tried Grads and left / 65 drivers who haven't as to what might entice you to join the Privates (novices) division? Or comments from anyone for that matter. Would INT damage or easier/more well known tracks make a difference?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com