Quarterly cost: �0

May 02, 2024, 12:30:32 AM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
S4455GPP
S4455GPW
S4466CA
S4467F1P
S4467F1W
S4467F2A
S4467F2P
S44JSMT
Recent
S4467F1W Mont-Tremblant
S4467F1P Mont-Tremblant
S4467F2P Snetterton (L…
S4467F2A Snetterton (L…
S4455GPP Reims (1954-7…
S4455GPW Reims (1954-7…
S4466CA Michigan
Forthcoming
S4467F1W Aintree
S4467F1P Aintree
S4467F2P Sempione (193…
S4467F2A Sempione (193…
S4455GPP Oakes Field
S4455GPW Oakes Field
S4466CA Salzburgring

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Poll
Question: Do you want to enter the Season 26 Friday Trophy (Mixed Mods)
Yes, LIGHT expect 75% or more attendance - 9 (36%)
Yes, LIGHT expect less than 75% attendance - 8 (32%)
Yes, HEAVY expect 75% or more attendance - 4 (16%)
Yes, HEAVY expect less than 75% attendance - 4 (16%)
Total Voters: 24

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Season 26 Friday Trophy Registration  (Read 3313 times)
dave curtis
UKGPL Server Provider
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2014, 04:58:07 PM +0000 »

Hang on,  just noticed that there are a couple of events on Fri 14th Feb...!
I've been informed I'm busy that evening [watching Rush...].     

Any chance you can swap F2/69 with the following week?!    Don't mind so much if I miss the GT/CanAm event  Smiley

Worth a try anyway Smiley

Cheers,
Dave.

garethhall
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2014, 06:33:20 PM +0000 »

Hang on,  just noticed that there are a couple of events on Fri 14th Feb...!
I've been informed I'm busy that evening [watching Rush...].    

Any chance you can swap F2/69 with the following week?!    Don't mind so much if I miss the GT/CanAm event  Smiley

Worth a try anyway Smiley

Cheers,
Dave.

I doubt they will move the schedule about but if you need someone to take your Mrs out and watch a film, I can do that  Wink
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 06:35:40 PM +0000 by Gareth » Logged
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2014, 06:38:20 PM +0000 »

There have been several posts and opinions about the cars that have been selected for the Lights and their effective handicap effect on the races. Some have welcomed the way it has worked, others are concerned that they are too harsh.

When we looked at the possible configuration of a multi mod format for the Friday series last season, I always had in mind that it should be a "FUN" event that would bring the Heavies and Lights into direct competition on track. The intention was that the Lights would have slower cars that would require them to use their experience and race craft to compete against the faster machinery in the hands of the less experienced Heavies.  In just about any race between the Lights and Heavies where there is a free choice of chassis, the Lights are going to take the honours and all the podium places simply because they can extract more pace from those cars.
I genuinely wanted to give the Heavies a shot at finishing on the podium and racing wheel to wheel with the aliens amongst us. The reasons for that were twofold. Firstly, it should encourage the heavies to have a go at some of the other car groups in a race where it was not certain that the Lights would run away with it. Secondly, I feel that a lot of the "race pace" that the Lights appear to have stems from experience and race craft, so arranging things so that the Heavies got to race in close proximity might just show them why and where the aliens are quicker?

We have 4 other championships running in any season in UKGPL, where drivers are competing for outright points scoring and victories to take the crown at the end of the season. Maybe there was space for a series of races that concentrated on the fun of racing within GPL rather than collecting podiums and points.  It is unfortunately a fact of GPL life, that once there are points on offer and a championship title dangled at the end of the season, it is difficult to prevent the red mist of competition descending at the same time as the starter drops his flag. We all want to win, that is why we ( and I include myself ) do this!!!

The only thing that I can say about the handicaps is this.... Because by our very nature we all have different ability, any fixed handicap system such as the current limited car choice is bound to favour some drivers more than others. Noticeably the Lights are still managing to dominate the podiums ( I know the Ratio of Lights/Heavies is skewed towards the Lights) so things are not too harsh. If each race was being won by the Heavies then there would be grounds to change the system, because I think that on balance the Lights, by virtue of their ability, should be expected to get their cars to the flag first..maybe 6 times out of 10?.

Also the very fact that some are questioning, and some are content, indicates that the car selection is somewhere near the middle ground? which is the best I could hope to achieve.

We have only had one complete 4 mods round of races at Monza so far and just the F2's and 69's at Lime Rock, ( 2 very different tracks) I am watching the results very carefully and if after we have completed another 2 or 3 tracks results indicate that things need changing, then I would hope to make small adjustments to keep the racing close and exciting.

I welcome all feedback on how those involved feel that this is working out. As I have said, the intention was/is for all drivers to have some fun on a Friday night with cars that we don't usually race, against drivers that we would not find ourselves wheel to wheel with and on some different tracks.

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @    evilclive67
Rank   Only when I sweat
BadBlood
Former UKGPL Moderators

Sassafrassarassum Rick Rastardly!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2014, 02:52:08 PM +0000 »

From my PoV Clive, it has enabled me to race against you and Tommie (at least in the 69X) which could never have happened under normal circumstances. Perhaps (given that I am one of the slower drivers) it is over-handicapped but it is fun to race against different guys on a totally uneven basis!

BadBlood

aka

Angel Moose angel
GPLRank +71.5ish Smiley
GPL65Rank +71.1ish Smiley
Other ranks? Middlin' Slowish Wink
Ronniepeterson

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2014, 05:43:25 PM +0000 »

I'm glad you have emphasised the fun factor here rather than championships, wins and podiums etc.

God I struggled in that 69x BT20 the other night but it was a hoot just trying to get it going round corners (thanks for the tips elsewhere Tommie).

I think the choice of cars so far for the lights has been inspired, improving even further on what we had last season. Thanks for taking the time and effort, keep up the good work!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com