Quarterly cost: �0

April 26, 2024, 06:52:29 AM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
S4455GPP
S4455GPW
S4466CA
S4467F1P
S4467F1W
S4467F2A
S4467F2P
S44JSMT
Recent
S4455GPP Roy Hesketh (…
S4455GPW Roy Hesketh (…
S4466CA Bathurst
S4467F1W Mont-Tremblant
S4467F1P Mont-Tremblant
S4467F2P Snetterton (L…
S4467F2A Snetterton (L…
Forthcoming
S4455GPP Reims (1954-7…
S4455GPW Reims (1954-7…
S4466CA Michigan
S4467F1P Aintree
S4467F1W Aintree
S4467F2P Sempione (193…
S4467F2A Sempione (193…

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13
  Print  
Author Topic: Mid Season Review (S20)  (Read 18022 times)
vosblod
Former UKGPL Moderators

can divide by zero

View Profile
« on: December 15, 2010, 06:21:48 PM +0000 »

The xmas break seems an opportune time to review how things are going and canvas opinions from you, the drivers, on what has gone well and what hasn't. It can also be used to garner ideas for what we will do in the next season. The list of Agenda items together with some initial thoughts is below.  Please feel free to comment on these items or indeed raise new ones.

ITEM 1 - General Issues

a) Handicapping
See Divisions (below) for specific reference.
Are we happy with the way things are currently working, each division has it's own unique system but all are designed to level up the field and create closer racing without putting the fastest drivers in an impossible situation. Obviously you would expect the fastest drivers to be the field leaders but do we need some way of levelling the field and giving as many as possible a chance of standing on the podium.

Possible options;
Free chassis choice but have to use each one in a season
Tokens with less for the leaders
Time penalties
Chassis positions based on division position
Fixed chassis allocation based on past history

b) Race nights
Going by Steve's poll Sundays and Tuesdays are the most popular so should we stick with these? We also have to bear in mind our commercial server and moderators availability. We now also have the server available for use on Fridays.

c) Season length
Are we happy with a longer winter season (10 races - October to March) and a shorter summer season (8 races - May to early August) with some fun events in between.

d) Team Liveries
One of our members, who is a bit of a whizz at these things, has kindly offered to paint up team carskins for us.
To cut a long story short you can either choose to install the new carset and see everyone driving in their team colours or simply ignore it and see the default skins. BUT the caveat is, in order to see them online, you have to join the server in team order. This would involve say an extra 15 minutes prior to the start - the easy way is to start the server at 8.45pm (with 15 mins extra qually time) and those in teams join then with those not interested joining at the usual time. No one gains an advantage as you can still only pit out with 30 minutes left on the clock.
Thoughts? If you were interested I would say it would suit the 65 Division's as they currently have fixed chassis allocations.

e) Driving School
One idea for newer drivers, those wishing to improve their online skills or anyone really would be to have a few online sessions to improve on something or get direct advice whereby you could be shadowed and mentored by some of the more experienced guys.
It would basically be a way of picking up a few tips as to improving racecraft, speed etc without the worries of picking up penalties.
Just an idea but feedback would be appreciated...

f) Moderating team
We have a full team which means we can cover any absences but anyone wishing to help out is always welcome.
I wouldn't propose holding full elections every season but we are a democratic club so anyone who wishes may propose themselves for a role (with seconder) at end of season.

ITEM 2 - The Divisions

Any ideas on changes in general or replacing/changing divisions.
One school of thought, in view of the declining popularity of the Spec races, is to replace these with a GT series (see note below).

a) Amateurs - 65 (Tuesdays)
Stick with the chassis allocation system or adopt an alternative handicap?
Are we happy with the race length at 50 minutes?
Do we stick with Pro damage?
Should there be automatic relegation/promotion between Am's and Novices?

b) Novices - 65 (Tuesdays)
Are we happy with the race length at Long?
Do we continue with the existing Shift/R system? ; or Only one Shift/R - A Stop and Go regardless of fault
Continue running alternative tracks to Amateurs for the more difficult ones?

c) Historic Trophy - 66 (Tuesdays)

d) Graduates - 67 (Sundays)
Continue with tokens system?
Continue with PRO damage for Works?
Continue with one Shift/R and compulsory Stop and Go for Privateers?
Should there be automatic relegation/promotion between Works and Privateers?
Do Privateers want to run alternative tracks to Works for the more difficult ones?

e) Spec Challenge (Sundays)
Numbers have dropped significantly. Should we replace this division with something else next Season?
Why is it no longer popular - has it run it's course for now?
Maybe;
    Mods other than 65's put drivers off?   
    Too many add-on circuits rather than purely Papyrus tracks?
    We turned it into a championship and made it matter where you finished and how many points were scored?
    It goes on a bit too late with two races?

Possible changes;

Fridays
We now have the use of T7_2 on Fridays. What should we use it for? Formal or informal events?

Possible Spec Challenge replacements -
i) GT Division - ideas;
Free chassis choice but have to use each one at least once
Spec races
Chassis restrictions based on position per the Historics
Either run on Fridays or use Fridays for a practice and qualification build-up to the event

ii) Two 'mini' divisions, eg GT's and something else.
For example alternating slots eg Week 1 - GT's / Week 3 - other
That way there would be two Divisions with half the normal number of events.

ITEM 3 – Servers

Our rented server seems to be working out well. Our second race server (UKGPL_5) is kindly provided by Mike. Beyond this we have UKGPL_6 but, in view of past problems, it is currently only being used as a practice server along with Phil's practice one, UKGPL_4.
Other then that we have nothing official so we are really restricted to a maximum of two events at any one time. We have no back-ups so any new servers would be most welcome.

ITEM 4 – Moderating and the Appeals Process

Is everyone happy with the moderating and appeals process?
Would you like to see/be happy with full moderation of lap one? (for incident report only divisions)
Most divisions are Reported Incident only. The Novices receive full scrutiny as it is felt this can assist the less experienced in improving their racecraft.

ITEM 5 – Rule Changes

Are the rules as they stand OK?  What changes need to be made?
A few items may need addressing;
i) Suspended Bans and Race Bans - tidy it up to make the system clearer? Make an allowance for the fuller scrutiny in the Novices division?
ii) Stop and Go's - tidy up the rules to clarify what constitutes a No Fault Shift/R?
iii) Alter the railriding rules to include corner cutting (with all 4 wheels) and clarify it is not allowed?

ITEM 6 – Tracks

Are we happy with the current track allocations?
Are we happy with trying new tracks? (subject to checking for faults and possible online testing first in future)
Are there any tracks you would particularly like to see in Season 21? If so which mod and why?
miner2049er
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 08:14:43 PM +0000 »

ITEM 1 - General Issues

a) Handicapping

Novices are close for the main part and I am considering a different form of handicap for next season, but as our platform of entry to GPL online, the possibility of people joining mid season throws out my "season long" handicaps systems, and Novices always needs to be accessible to all newcomers.

b) Race nights

Due to my own time constraints I do 1 mod per season on a week night so Tuesdays is my preference though I could do a different one if needed.

c) Season length
Are we happy with a longer winter season (10 races - October to March) and a shorter summer season (8 races - May to early August) with some fun events in between.

Yes

d) Team Liveries

Would be nice to try it but I will go with the majority. Can the new Novices have L Plates on their noses? Wink

e) Driving School

It may appear patronising but perhaps we shouldn't allow new drivers until they have done a pick up session of some sort, perhaps on a Friday or a Breasts race?

f) Moderating team
I wouldn't propose holding full elections every season but we are a democratic club so anyone who wishes may propose themselves for a role (with seconder) at end of season.

Only to replace a mod that wants a change.

ITEM 2 - The Divisions

No, it could force drivers into a division they don't want to be in. The proviso should be that Novices is always around 3 quarters full to allow new joiners through the season so Amateurs may always be a bigger field than Novices. Also, as there is quite a spread of ability in Amateurs and some discontent lower down the order, perhaps encouraging the faster Novices up to Ams should be the way forward so those at the lower end of the grid may not be winning but will at least be racing somebody.

I am possibly amending it but if it ain't broke.....

I ran some 50 minute races last season without announcing it but some people felt it too long so I think we have the balance right.

Do we continue with the existing Shift/R system?

I am coming round to the idea of a SnG for every SHIFTR regardless of blame to more closely simulate real racing and it would be interesting to hear opinions on that. It simply simulates a pit stop to repair damage.

Continue running alternative tracks to Amateurs

Definitely, though I think we will see Monaco next season. Come on, what could go wrong?

No, see above.

Fridays
We now have the use of T7_2 on Fridays. What should we use it for? Formal or informal events?

Informal races and testing circuits and drivers etc

i) Suspended Bans and Race Bans - tidy it up to make the system clearer? Make an allowance for the fuller scrutiny in the Novices division?

Somebody being a good member and entering more races stands more chance of being banned by picking up more cards.
Perhaps make bans only applicable in the relavant division.

ii) Stop and Go's - tidy up the rules to clarify what constitutes a No Fault Shift/R?

Scrap No fault SHIFTRs and take a SnG for every one.

iii) Alter the railriding rules to include corner cutting (with all 4 wheels) and clarify it is not allowed?

Yes, unless agreed before the race as in the recent Amateurs race.

Ronniepeterson

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 10:04:21 PM +0000 »

Pretty much agree with all of Mikes comments BUT

Happy to continue to race Sunday/Tuesday but Friday/Saturday would be great (yeah I can dream). For example if the Spec series was Friday I'm sure it would be more popular.

Please DO NOT SHORTEN ANY SEASON FROM 10 RACES to 8.

An official driving school does sound patronising and potentially off putting to new drivers. People have more than enough places including here to arrange training sessions. A healthier attendance of practice servers when available might help.

While not a fan of shift-r/s&g initially the system does work in the appropriate divisions. A single shift-r with a compulsory s&g works best.

Full moderation of lap 1 in any division would be a good idea to stop some of the inevitable first corner/lap madness that affects us all at some stage. Moderating is tough job done really well. Thanks.

The balance of original and new tracks is just right to attract new drivers and keep veterans from getting bored.

Tracks for next season. Just a personal preference but something with serious banking would be nice Monza 10k or IMS?
Hristo Itchov

There is no limit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 09:15:12 PM +0000 »

ITEM 1 - General Issues

a) Handicapping

It really depends on what is the intention of handicapping in a given division. Is it to give the field equal chances of victory by letting driving skill decide the races? Is it to slow down faster drivers and speed up slower drivers to close the gaps? Is it to force everyone to use all (or most) different chassis throughout a season so we see more variety in races?

Personally I've always liked the system that was used in Masters and is currently used in Historic - slower cars for those higher up in the championship standings. It makes for a closely fought out championship as long as you ignore bad luck, retirements, driving mistakes and personal performance. It gives chances to those who either missed a race or had a bad result, but then are able to take a faster car. The problem and question here are - have we grouped the cars properly in terms of performance and what is really considered when doing these groups? Is it down to engine power or chassis handling? More on this later.

The other system I support is the one we had back in D1, with pitstops. It makes driving skill the only factor in deciding the outcome of a race, and it makes it possible for anyone to take any car and still have a chance for victory.

The problem I see with the tokens system is that it defeats the purpose of single-chassis teams or in the very least, it makes it much tougher for them while others take whatever car they want. You may disagree based on Hiki-Waza results, but that's all down to the efforts of the team drivers and sometimes bad luck of competitors. If we had drivers of equal ability (i.e. clones) and a group of them would only use a single (slower) chassis, they would stand no chance against those who make the best use of their tokens and take the best cars possible.

I'm against the single chassis handicapping system for 2 reasons:

1) There are no clear differences between the chassis overall and what only matters is the track they're being driven on. For instance, on a track like Spa, the engine plays a huge role and even if a slower car has better handling, it won't be enough to compensate for the lost time, but on a track like Monaco, it's quite a different story. Of course, if you go by WRs, there's a lot more consistency in this, but we're talking about racing here and in racing, you're not driving alone on the track. Whatever you can gain in corners alone is totally gone if you're stuck behind a car with a better engine that is driven by a driver who is going slower in corners, but then on the straight the latter takes full advantage of their machinery. I can't possibly count the number of times I've started from pole in the BT7 and dropped down to 5th or lower on the start, before even reaching T1. Then it becomes a real struggle to pass faster cars because of the reason I mentioned above and it's only through other drivers mistakes that I could go through.

2) Driver's ability is not constant, it changes throughout a season and even if the assigned cars seemed reasonable at the beginning of a season, it is not so anymore once someone steps up in his game. This is especially true in Novices. Another problem in relation to this is a new driver joining up, without any previous results in the league to be used as information for his/her car assignment. The problem of course is - do you give them a slower car and compromise their championship before it's over, or do you let it go on until the end of it, and then take measure for the next season.

b) Race nights

I'm up for keeping Sundays and Tuesdays for the divisions we have at the moment, and throw in another division or two on Fridays. How about F2 when it's released or GT? Or Both?

c) Season length

I'd prefer to stick with 10 race seasons, with 2 worst results dropped. It feels neither too short or too long, actually it feels perfect. It has almost always produced closely fought out championships.

d) Team Liveries

The problem with this is that everyone has to be available earlier than currently, and that's a problem for many, including me sometimes. There are many occasions where people come a bit late and join midway through qualifying, or right before the race begins. What is also an issue with this (I think) is people disconnecting and rejoining later. I'm not sure the server keeps their assigned numbers if they haven't turned any laps.

Another problem is the joining process itself. Unless you give plenty of time between each driver to join up, you'll have situations where one driver has some connecting issues (i.e. temporary time out) and another driver joins before him/her in the meantime.

Personally I don't really mind liveries, but I would prefer if I can join the server at any time, without such obligations. If it's not mandatory that's fine to me, but it may be confusing for those who use the liveries as they may be confused or falsely led to believe who is who on track.

e) Driving School

I think Driving School is a wrong way to call it. Why not call it Driving License Committee or something. And I'm totaly up for this because nobody wants to have their races and championship affected by a newcommer who has barely driven, who lacks car control or is experienced but overly aggressive, and is overall unsafe to race with. I think we've had such a situation last season or so.

I really don't see a problem with evaluating someone in a test race or just a test practice run, with one of us observing. It doesn't take long and it can give better indication for the driver's level of ability, awareness and aggression. It helps to handicap them better as well, otherwise you see situations like AA in Novices this season who is vastly superior in pure speed than anyone else. No disrespect to AA of course, it's not intended as that.

f) Moderating team

I think UKGPL is probably the best GPL (if not simracing) league in terms of moderation and administration. No bias in 99% of the situations and in-detail observation of cases. One thing I would like to see though is having the moderation of each race posted on time, as sometimes they're delayed for weeks or even months. I know of course it's down to the people having spare time and desire to do it, so no demands here, just a wish.  Smiley

On one hand I would like to get involved with some moderation work, but on the other hand my spare time is little, I'm also not a very responsible or dependable person, so it's not a position I'm fit for. Not at this moment in time anyway. I just like to show up for races and drive.

ITEM 2 - The Divisions

Any ideas on changes in general or replacing/changing divisions.
One school of thought, in view of the declining popularity of the Spec races, is to replace these with a GT series (see note below).

I'm not a big fan of the GTs. Bad mirrors, vastly different cars in terms of cornering and straight line speed, very underperforming default setups (even if realistic according to JR) are just some of the main issues that go against the idea of close and fun racing, at least in my eyes. I'm yet to have a decent race in the GTs where I can race someone for longer and enjoy a battle. It's usually a lonely race with everyone for himself. So anyway, I'm not rooting for a GT division. It's just not the typical single seater closely contended race format and I would hate to see any of the current single-seater divisions being dropped for a GT division.

a) Amateurs - 65 (Tuesdays)

- I'm up for dropping the single static chassis allocation and trying something different. Already posted my thoughts on handicapping above.

- 50 minutes seems ideal for the moment. Remember we went from 1 hour, 1 hour and 5 minutes, down to 50 minutes. It's not much on paper, but it's noticeable when you race and it feels more balanced. If we were racing just a single division I wouldn't mind even if we run GP distance races, but with so many different divisions and races in a week, it becomes a burden to have anything longer han 50 minutes + 30 minutes qualifying.

- Pro damage by all means!

- I'm not sure what you mean by automatic. What is the line which when crossed promotes a driver up or down? Is it 107% difference in speed or what? This is related to the handicap system obviously, but I think any relegation/promotion should only happen after careful observation of said driver's performance and results, plus their own desire of which division to race in. No forceful decisions on this, you don't want to lose/chase out any drivers from the league.

Do we continue with the existing Shift/R system? ; or Only one Shift/R - A Stop and Go regardless of fault
Continue running alternative tracks to Amateurs for the more difficult ones?

- Again, I think a different handicap system should be used or attempted, for at least a season. All my thoughts about it already up above. In addition to that though, one particular factor someone brought some time ago about this is that in Novices, engine power plays a bigger role than handling characteristics, while in Amateurs it's both. I'm not really inclined to agree on that, because as much as power is only comparable if the engine is fully utilized (especially on acceleration), so is handling only comparable when the car is close to the limit. I think neither is the case in Novices, so whatever handicapping holds true for Amateurs should hold true here as well.

- As I commented recently in a race thread, I think any Shift-R should automatically lead to a mandatory Stop/Go, regardless of fault. It makes for a much easier job for the moderators and it prevents race results being adjusted outside the track. It also prevents any possibility for friction between drivers or between a driver and moderator due to differences in situation interpretation. There is too much at stake in races and the pressure is too high to make a sound and immediate judgement of a given situation regarding if you were a victim or not. Even if you have extreme awareness of what's going on around you, it's still not with 100% certainty that you saw everything clearly, especially when warp/lag is involved. As in real races, pitting after a contact, whether it was your fault or not, is typical and desirable. In fact, in real races you would have to retire in situations where you shift-r in the game, so a stop/go is a small price to pay for continuing with your race.

- I'm against running alternative tracks, but instead of saying Novices should run the tracks that Amateurs (Pro next season?), I'll say let Amateurs run the same tracks as Novices. This would make it easier for teams to share tips and help between their Novices and Amateurs drivers, and you can also compare results between the divisions and spot any odd driver's performance. On the other hand, I really like Tim Mutram's choice for tracks in the AMs, and I would hate if we have to run conventional mostly Papy tracks. I don't really see a problem with the Novices racing the same tracks as AM, it's not like Novices are automatically more busy and don't have time to practice a track they don't know, or that it's not the same situation for everyone in the division. As a conclusion, I'd stick to different tracks for AMs if the tracks choosen for Novices are too conventional, but I guess we don't know that well in advance, do we?  Roll Eyes

- About promotion between the divs, same thing I said above for the AMs

c) Historic Trophy - 66 (Tuesdays)

- I like this handicap system the best. An issue here is the grouping of the cars. I'm not quite certain the cars are properly grouped in terms of performance. For instance, in 3 liters, I've definitely noticed some group 1 cars being faster than some group 2 cars. I can't comment on the cars in the other groups because I've not driven them, but there's probably something wrong there too. Given the level of skill in the division, it's rather odd to see a driver in a faster group car struggle against a driver of equal ability who's running a slower group car. Observing race results over the past 2 seasons should give a good indication of what needs to be adjusted with the grouping of the cars.

- 50 minutes is perfect!

- Pro damage is perfect!

d) Graduates - 67 (Sundays)
Continue with tokens system?
Continue with PRO damage for Works?
Continue with one Shift/R and compulsory Stop and Go for Privateers?
Should there be automatic relegation/promotion between Works and Privateers?
Do Privateers want to run alternative tracks to Works for the more difficult ones?

- As I said in the beginning, I'm against the tokens system because it works against single-chassis teams.

- PRO or I'm not racing.  Grin Unless it's pitstops handicap system like former D1.

- One shift-r sounds OK, though I'm not racing there so can't comment. I don't see a problem with having any number of shift-rs, with mandatory stop/go for each shift-r. But only a single shift-r per lap allowed, or maybe if you do 2 (or 3-4 etc.), you need to do stop/go in 2 (3-4 etc.) consecutive laps.

- 50 minutes is the holy grail of race length!  Grin

- Same thing as what I said about Amateurs/Novices promotion/relegation earlier.

- Same thing as what I said about Novices tracks up above.

e) Spec Challenge (Sundays)
Numbers have dropped significantly. Should we replace this division with something else next Season?
Why is it no longer popular - has it run it's course for now?
Maybe;
    Mods other than 65's put drivers off?  
    Too many add-on circuits rather than purely Papyrus tracks?
    We turned it into a championship and made it matter where you finished and how many points were scored?
    It goes on a bit too late with two races?

I think that before we rush to scrap the division and replace it with something else, we need to have a good understanding of why the number of drivers has dropped recently. I'm inclined to believe it's because of some addon tracks and because of Xmas coming up, but until we get definitive answers, it's just a guess. Why not make a separate thread and ask Spec div drivers to give their own answers why they have been missing races recently? It's possible that everyone has a different reason and it has nothing to do with the format.

Personally I really liked it, with or without full grids. We had some fantastic races in this and last seasons. If it turns out the addon tracks are the main cause for drivers skipping races, then that's easily fixed. As for mods being used, Billy has been mostly running 65s and 67s, so I don't see how that can be a factor. We could also run 2 liters 66s which are just about the same as 65s.

Turning it into a Championship is a positive thing IMO. It gives you a higher purpose than just turning up for races and not caring about the result. Without any other aim than just driving, it's not really racing. Racing for fun is an illusion, the real fun is competition and racing feeds on comeptition. When was the last time you just drove around without a direct competitor and said "that was a fun race"? And if someone wants just that, they don't need to pay attention to championship points to have their fun, it doesn't change anything.

I do agree it drags a bit late with 2 races, but the reason is the 20 minutes qualifying for each. The races themselves are at least 30 minutes, so (20+30) x 2 = 1 hour and 40 minutes of racing minimum. Add to that time delays in Igor and it easily becomes 2 hours, and that's longer than any other division. Perhaps 10 or 15 minutes of practice would work better.

Continued in the next post (otherwise it exceeds the limit of 20000 characters for a single post)...
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 09:17:08 PM +0000 by Hristo Itchov » Logged

Hristo Itchov

There is no limit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 09:15:33 PM +0000 »

Continued from the previous post...

Possible changes;

Fridays

As I mentioned above, it would be nice to see an additional division on Friday, either F2 when it comes out or GT.

Possible Spec Challenge replacements -
i) GT Division - ideas;
Free chassis choice but have to use each one at least once
Spec races
Chassis restrictions based on position per the Historics
Either run on Fridays or use Fridays for a practice and qualification build-up to the event

ii) Two 'mini' divisions, eg GT's and something else.
For example alternating slots eg Week 1 - GT's / Week 3 - other
That way there would be two Divisions with half the normal number of events.

Until we know for certain why the numbers in Spec races have dropped recently, it would be pointless to discuss replacements. If there's such a big demand on having a GT divison (I can notice some of you are obviously forcing the GT mod on us...), why not run it on Fridays?

Anything else related to this I've already said earlier above.

ITEM 3 – Servers

No comment here really. As long as mods and tracks are set up (and preferably tested) properly in advance, there is no problem.

ITEM 4 – Moderating and the Appeals Process

Is everyone happy with the moderating and appeals process?
Would you like to see/be happy with full moderation of lap one? (for incident report only divisions)
Most divisions are Reported Incident only. The Novices receive full scrutiny as it is felt this can assist the less experienced in improving their racecraft.

I think any moderation should only be done for reported incidents, regardless if it's lap 1 or not. Novices may adapt this as well, so they start getting used to reporting incidents, but I don't really mind if you leave it as is. I can't really comment on this and Novices drivers are better positioned to give feedback about it.

ITEM 5 – Rule Changes

A few items may need addressing;

Rules are 90% without any gaps or problems, but there is some ambiguity here and there which could be cleaned up. I can't come up with concrete examples right now, but you would have spotted these issue if you paid attention to comments and discussions after some races in this and last seasons.

Stop and Go, as mentioned above in the division talk, should be made mandatory regardless of fault or not.

Corner cutting could be added to railriding, yes. It's a good idea, as long as it's clear on the replay when someone cut a corner intentionally and not by a mistake.

ITEM 6 – Tracks

Are we happy with the current track allocations?
Are we happy with trying new tracks? (subject to checking for faults and possible online testing first in future)
Are there any tracks you would particularly like to see in Season 21? If so which mod and why?

I think we should have a solid strategy for track selection for each division. Something like an equation. For instance:

5 slow 5 fast in relation to straights length
3 short 4 medium 3 long in relation to overall track length
3-4 papy 6-7 non-papy (I'm inclined towards non-Papy because I'm fed up with them)
5 technical 5 power, engine power vs. handling

The way this would help is it would balance out the difference in car strengths and would create some consistency during a season about where someone can gain an advantage or have a disadvantage.

How to combine all these is the tricky part, but with some planning and decent track knowledge it's not difficult. What is important when choosing addon tracks is to look for tracks beyond the ones we use all the time. Not for all of them, but throw in at least 1 or 2 never-driver before or driver-long-ago tracks, together with the usual suspects. This would require track testing and checking up against track black lists to avoid screen freezes.

Here's an example of starting out a track list (in no particular order)) using the above guidelines:

1) Monaco (slow 1, short 1, papy 1, technical 1)
2) Monza (fast 1, medium 1, papy 2, power 1)
3) Schottenring (fast 2, long 1, non-papy 1, technical 2)
4) Spa (fast 2, long 2, papy 3, power 2)

And so on, until you fill-in all the number limits. As soon as a number limit is reached, you don't use it anymore. For instance, when you have 3-4 papy tracks, you don't select papy tracks anymore. You can sort out the track order once you have 10 tracks selected and finalized.

I think we should have a sticky or a link on the main website that leads to any possible source of tracks black lists, so we avoid any screen freezes in the future. There were too many this season, more than usual. It's a shame, because it's almost always with tracks that are great to drive on, but what can you do...

Oh yeah, one idea I've been having - some of the supposedly notorious screen freeze tracks have been used without any issues long ago, before the BW patch got released. Perhaps we could run a test on such a track (i.e. Riverside) with the server-side BW patch turned off and default core.ini settings.

BadBlood
Former UKGPL Moderators

Sassafrassarassum Rick Rastardly!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2010, 11:10:09 PM +0000 »

Not really up to a long response - I have flu - the real thing. Influenza A so assuming it doesn't kill me (and that is not a given, worryingly) I would really like the idea of the driver school.

I know that people have been really helpful but there are only so many thing you can try and to have somebody following along giving a critique is MASSIVELY helpful. For instance I always braked at Masta until H showed me I could take it flat out - immediately took 4 secs off my best. It may just be me that is really crap because everybody else in Nov's seems to be able to drive significantly faster.

As far as Shift R goes, I actually think multiple Shift R's are actually injurious to developing good habits. I would scrap them.

Just my four penn'orth

BadBlood

aka

Angel Moose angel
GPLRank +71.5ish Smiley
GPL65Rank +71.1ish Smiley
Other ranks? Middlin' Slowish Wink
Hristo Itchov

There is no limit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2010, 01:22:10 AM +0000 »

Well, I don't think the question here was about a Driving School that teaches people, but rather to check if they're OK to be allowed to race in the league. Otherwise I also agree that some kind of driving school would be great, but to make it work really well it requires experienced drivers to observe the "students" and give them coaching as they drive or between runs.

In addition, they can observe replays and give tips, but that's not so effective as live coaching. It would be best to actually talk to the person while he/she is driving in the same room as the person giving tips. It's kinda difficult to see what is really going on online, with the warp being a factor in how you see the movement of other cars.

Maybe this requires another thread so we don't get off-topic with the review.

EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2010, 09:16:16 AM +0000 »

Blimey!!!!! Shocked

I hope Hristo gets a new keyboard for Christmas to replace the one he has worn out!!!   Grin

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @    evilclive67
Rank   Only when I sweat
FullMetalGasket
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2010, 12:36:20 PM +0000 »

One thing in relation to the tracks subject, I would be particularily interested to hear opinions from the 65 drivers on my track selections for this season - They were actually thought out along the lines Hristo mentions above (Technical Vs Power) but some people at least have been struggling on the circuits I considered to be power biased with the BT7's and Coops being suprisingly strong Embarrassed

Obviously I want some added guidance from the drivers to make sure I can provide an interesting mix without unintentionally upsetting people  Smiley
maddog

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2010, 12:58:40 PM +0000 »

I'd like to be lazy, and agree with all of Ronnie's sentiments.  

Team liveries would be fun to try, but time consuming and cumbersome, on a regular basis.

Alternate tracks : I'd be happier running Amateur tracks, than Novice alternatives, but our division is an introductory course, so perhaps allowances should be made, for those still suffering from the bends.  The same could be argued for Privateers.

Moderating :  If we allow ourselves to collide without official oversight, as proposed, it's likely our angst will wind up being turned on each other, instead of our overseers.  Our moderators have a tough job, but are considered some of the best in the game.  Rules which are black and white, will remove much of a moderators purpose, and start to dehumanize our racing.

Fridays :  With a new Friday slot opening up, it might be an opportunity to try out different options, in our quest for racing Nirvana.  Fun races for GT's, Specs, and anything else our wicked web weavers want to purposefully string together.  I daresay some would string along . . . . I'm leaving now!  Cheesy
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 01:57:48 PM +0000 by maddog » Logged
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2010, 02:18:28 PM +0000 »

As I have always maintained, I enjoy GPL for the fun and the banter and as a total distraction from everyday grief and hassle.

So my opinions on the various topics..........

Generally I am quite happy with things as they are in all of the mods. The mix of original Pappy tracks that keep many drivers happy and the grids well populated, plus the newer add ons that present more of a challenge seems to work.

I think everyone realises that modding is not an easy job and that penalties and advice are dispensed with the best of intentions to keep the racing in UKGPL fun for everyone.

Shift-R and SnG ?? I can see that it offers the less experienced drivers amongst the Works and Ams a lifeline, but one assumes that eventually everyone learns to  live with Pro rules???
I have to admit that when I moved into the Pro races it was a culture shock!  Undecided with a few prematurely shortened races , but it does teach you to concentrate on survival as well as speed, which usually results in the elimination of many of the "racing incidents and contacts" that the Novices and Privateers use the Shift-R to recover from.

The only area where I personally would like change, is in line with Hristo's preference for Pit stop style handicaps.
The token system is ok for stopping someone taking the Lotus or Eagle for every race, but it stops single Marque teams. Rather, we get a race with Lotus and Eagles dominating, followed by a BRM fest until enough tokens have been saved to afford the chosen car again.

With the old pitstop handicaps, drivers could take any car for any race and would have to decide if the time spent sitting in the pits at around half distance was actually going to be worth it. If anyone has any ideas about some form of handicap system for the GT's I would love to hear it, because at present I cannot see anything working except some sort of   chassis+driver ability+circuit    based pitstop levelling out the field.

Rank   Only when I sweat
maddog

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2010, 04:26:21 PM +0000 »

If anyone has any ideas about some form of handicap system for the GT's I would love to hear it, because at present I cannot see anything working except some sort of   chassis+driver ability+circuit    based pitstop levelling out the field.

I can see the problem being, how to keep a variety of cars for each race, when tracks might only favour one?  Things could easily become complicated and restrictive.  For discussions sake, how about competitors being required to drive 3 or 4 different cars, sequentially?  Maybe even alphabetically in order, and try things out with a mini-series on Fridays, to see what works.
Hristo Itchov

There is no limit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2010, 05:18:18 PM +0000 »

If anyone has any ideas about some form of handicap system for the GT's I would love to hear it, because at present I cannot see anything working except some sort of   chassis+driver ability+circuit    based pitstop levelling out the field.

I can see the problem being, how to keep a variety of cars for each race, when tracks might only favour one?  Things could easily become complicated and restrictive.  For discussions sake, how about competitors being required to drive 3 or 4 different cars, sequentially?  Maybe even alphabetically in order, and try things out with a mini-series on Fridays, to see what works.

This could work, yeah, but why not make it like this: each driver has a to use each car once in a race, in a 9 race season (or 10 if you make one of the chassis being used twice). That way you can leave it to each driver to figure out which car to take for which track. Such a system was used before, but I can't recall if it was in a UKGPL division or another league. It's a really good system IMO.

Saw this useful list of cars and their stats btw, it might help with choosing tracks or if you employ a different handicap system:

Engine (litres ) bhp weight(kg)
Chaparral 2D 7.0 V8 525 772
Chaparral 2F 7.0 V8 525 797
Ferrari 330P4 4.0 V12 450 831
Ford GT40 4.7 V8 385 1002
Ford MkIIB 7.0 V8 500 1076
Ford MkIV 7.0 V8 500 1066
Lola T70 5.3 V8 425 821
Mirage M1 5.7 V8 412 942
Porsche 910 2.2 flat 8 278 618

EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2010, 10:41:35 PM +0000 »

I think the idea of using each chassis once is basically a good idea. The problem comes in selecting a series of circuits that challenges the "obvious" choice of car.
For instance, the Porsche would be an automatic choice for somewhere like Nurby or Monaco and the Chap 2F or GT40MK4 for Reims or Le Mans. The danger is that each race produces a grid of clones, in which case we might as well specify which car is to be used and forget any form of handicapping that might give someone else, other than the "usual suspects", a chance of a podium!!

Hristo's list is useful, but once again the characteristics of these cars are so wildly different, that the optimum car choice is dictated more by the circuit to be raced rather than by any other factor.
I have no doubt that if we ran a race at Le Mans and allocated Hristo the Porsche he would make it fly, but a GT40 Mk4 or Chap 2F in the hands of an average driver would absolutely run away from him on the Mulsanne with a 50-60mph advantage. Even I can exhibit tremendous skill with such machinery on a long enough straight. Roll Eyes
Which brings me back to the handicapping question for GT's. From what I have observed thus far, if we put everyone in the same car then logically the faster drivers will run away and hide. If we decide that the fast guys should have a slower chassis for the next race that is OK, but what if the next race is at Nurby and the car deemed the slowest is the Porsche??? you have just handed him a huge advantage!!
To grade all cars against each individual circuit is just not realistic.
The perfect handicap system should result in all the cars arriving at the finish line together ( in theory at least!! Wink ) , so either the slower drivers have to be speeded up ( can't see a way of doing that!) or the fast guys have to be slowed down for the duration of the race or they have to suffer a time penalty based upon their previous performance?

Rank   Only when I sweat
Billy Nobrakes
UKGPL Divisional Moderator
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2010, 01:35:07 AM +0000 »

General thoughts on those questions where I have an opinion:
Handicapping - the tokens system in the 67's is not really a form of handicapping - all it does is encourage a range of different chassis on any given night. In some cases it doesn't really apply e.g. if drivers are in a dedicated chassis team. If the intent is to "level up the field" then there should be some allocation toward driver abilities. Using the existing system this could work if the top finishers got less tokens e.g. winner = 0 tokens, 2nd = +3, 3rd = +5, 4th = +10, 5th downwards get 20 or something similar. Would produce some anomalies where faster drivers crash out in one race but there are other forms of handicapping to consider.

Season Length - don't really like the idea of 8 race seasons - feels like it should be 10.

Shift R - I like the system in the Privateers - 1 x Shift R with compulsory Stop & Go. This should encourage due care but give a life line - we've all had the lap 1 incident where you get whacked from behind which is very frusrtating if you have put in lots of practice. Senior divisions can run on Pro as they wish.

Track selection - there needs to be a mix - you'll always get some you like & others less so. I've no issue if the Novs & Ams run the same tracks - provided this doesn't impose more difficult tracks on the Novs. Maybe have some co-ordination e.g. if the 67's are running a new add on then the 65's should do a regular.

Team Liveries - great idea but too many opportunities for it to go wrong. If there was a foolproof allocation method then this would be a worth pursuing - but I also like the 60's ethos of original paint work before sponsorship.

Leading from the back at Black Night Racing
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com