Quarterly cost: �0

April 27, 2024, 01:02:09 AM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
S4455GPP
S4455GPW
S4466CA
S4467F1P
S4467F1W
S4467F2A
S4467F2P
S44JSMT
Recent
S4455GPP Roy Hesketh (…
S4455GPW Roy Hesketh (…
S4466CA Bathurst
S4467F1W Mont-Tremblant
S4467F1P Mont-Tremblant
S4467F2P Snetterton (L…
S4467F2A Snetterton (L…
Forthcoming
S4455GPP Reims (1954-7…
S4455GPW Reims (1954-7…
S4466CA Michigan
S4467F1P Aintree
S4467F1W Aintree
S4467F2P Sempione (193…
S4467F2A Sempione (193…

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Pre season GT Fun Races with Pitstops  (Read 3742 times)
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« on: May 26, 2012, 11:55:08 AM +0100 »

Season 23 is going to have a Gt Team Championship again and final details are being worked out so that we get all cars on the grid. Last season we had no Chapperaals on the grid which was a shame.

We tried some pitstop races when the Gt mod was released, but there was very little reliable lap time data to calculate accurate stop times.

Now, after 2 seasons, we have some good indicators about the relative race pace of the various cars, so we would like to test this format again. There will be a couple of races in the next weeks, the first at Silverstone next Friday.

The theory is that with pitstops and drivers of equal ability all cars would arrive at the chequered flag together regardless of which car they are driving. Of course, in practice, this does not happen because drivers make mistakes through the race and there are variance in laptimes for all sorts of reasons.
Normally with a 2F at Spa the driver could expect to vanish in the distance at the beginning of the race and be able to cruise to the finish from half distance. But if that 2F has to sit in the pits whilst a Porsche ( which is not required to make a stop) passes him and gets a long way in front, he then has to exit the pits after his stop and drive at full race pace to close down the Porsche before the end of the race.

In all races there will be at least one car that will not be required to stop. Yes, of course that will be the car with the slowest laptime, but even so when the pitstop times are calculated that car should still be in with a chance of a win or podium!!

There are a couple of issues with GPL and GT's and the pitstops.

GPL will automatically disco/retire a car that is stationary for more than about 25 secs, so how do we make a long pitstop?

At some tracks, such as Spa, the difference between the Porsche and the 2F over a 50 minute race is approx 3minutes!!

In the past we have allowed cars making a long pitstop to stop at the beginning of the pitlane and move forward by approx 10mtrs every 20 secs until their stop time is completed. But with a 180 second stop for 2 or 3 cars that would be a recipe for chaos!

There is another way. If a car is parked exactly in your pitbox it will not get retired  Grin
 Your pitbox is identified by the black board with your name on it in the pitlane. You need to approach that board slowly and as close to the pit counter as possible, ensuring that you are parallel to the wall. As soon as the board vanishes you stop and you are in your pitbox and can wait as long as you need.  I suggest that drivers practice this move before we race and check that they know where they need to be.

The other thing you might need is a little programme called "GPL Wait". This will automatically time your stop and avoid the need for a stopwatch.
With GPL Wait you can set the required stop length and also assign a button/key that will prime the timer as you approach the pits.
Once you have this set up the pitstop is easy.
As you approach the pitlane, press the button or key that you have assigned to control your stop.
Carefully park your car in your pitbox
Magically when the car has become stationary the screen view will change from "in car" to "chase view" and the timer will start.
When the programmed stop has been completed the view will change back to "in car" and your stop is over and you can "carefully" leave the pits and rejoin the race.

To test how well all this will work in a proper race we will run a few fun races before season 23 starts.

The first race will be Friday 1st June at Silverstone and details will be posted soon. I hope that everyone will join in this test and take a variety of cars so that the pitstop handicaps can be tested.

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @    evilclive67
Rank   Only when I sweat
Cookie
UKGPL Divisional Moderator
UKGPL Moderators

Chris Amon fan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 03:07:44 PM +0100 »

Great idea Clive punk

Some extra information and the GPLWait you get here

Axel "Cookie"

poor, he who sees no stars without the punch in the face

an aphorism of  Stanislaus Jercy Lec
Phil Thornton
UKGPL Consigliere
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 12:04:56 AM +0100 »

We used GPLWait a long time ago and it works very well but because it has to monitor the keyboard to check when a driver has pressed their nominated "Pit Stop" button (the one that starts the timer and switches to chase view) some modern anti-virus programs don't like it.  GPLWait uses a DLL called KeyHook.dll (when you unzip the file on the UKGPL web site it will contain 2 files: GPLWait v3.1.exe and KeyHook.dll).  There is nothing wrong with this DLL but anti virus programs like Avast will delete it when you try to run GPLWait.

In order to stop Avast deleting KeyHook.dll you have to open Avast, go to "Real Time Shields", select "Expert Settings" and untick the check box called "Scan libraries (DLLs etc.) whenever a program is executed."

I'm not sure what other anti-virus programs do this or how to disable DLL scanning if they do.

If you can't get GPLWait running, you can always use a wrist watch.
Cookie
UKGPL Divisional Moderator
UKGPL Moderators

Chris Amon fan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 07:57:08 AM +0100 »

My Avira wants to delete it too, but I get a message box where I can tell the program to ignore it permanently.

Axel "Cookie"

poor, he who sees no stars without the punch in the face

an aphorism of  Stanislaus Jercy Lec
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012, 09:21:49 AM +0100 »

Thanks for that tip Phil.

If anyone else has issues with GPL Wait or the pitstops, please post on this topic and we can try and help sort things out.  Grin

Rank   Only when I sweat
Ronniepeterson

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2012, 09:33:11 AM +0100 »

Tried using GPLwait before and it never worked. Just tried it and it works straight away (AVG in use, never had any issues personally with AVG and GPL for many years). I might even give the GTs a go this season.
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2012, 11:51:29 AM +0100 »

You know it makes sense... Wink

Rank   Only when I sweat
clouds

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2012, 04:42:55 PM +0100 »

What do you think about the possibility to make a reset for refuelling on our pitbox (like it happened in real races) ? A few of us have already tested this kind of activity in some Formula Libera's championship races.

Sergio "Clouds" Lonzar

...Houston, we've had a problem here!

Jack Swigert, April 13rd, 1970. Apollo 13 on the way to the moon.
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2012, 04:59:01 PM +0100 »

the idea of the pitstops is to recreate the refuelling stops for the GT cars and also to make the racing more interesting between the fast and slow cars at the end of the race as the handicaps work out.

Can you explain how you did a reset in your pitbox Sergio?  I thought that whenever you pressed "Shift-R" in the pitlane your car was replaced out on the circuit??  At some circuits that could place cars right onto the racing line, which I would be worried about.

Rank   Only when I sweat
BadBlood
Former UKGPL Moderators

Sassafrassarassum Rick Rastardly!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2012, 05:27:29 PM +0100 »

It would make it interesting though...  Cheesy

BadBlood

aka

Angel Moose angel
GPLRank +71.5ish Smiley
GPL65Rank +71.1ish Smiley
Other ranks? Middlin' Slowish Wink
clouds

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2012, 10:32:22 AM +0100 »

There are some original GPL's files that have to be replaced by new ones with the same name, each one for each track we have intention to permit the reset on place (usually the pitbox) but...I don't know if there are files for all tracks. That means once a car is in his pitbox, the Driver can reset his car in the usual way and the car will respawn in the same place it was before the <SHIFT>+<R>, avoiding to be placed on the race line. Also Axel should have been use it if I don't remember bad. I've used this file for a INDY-500 race in one of the FormulaLibera race championship that unfortunately I've not raced just at the last moment. The fun thing is that it became possible to schedule several pitstops for refuelling so any car can have a lighter fuel load. I didn't know about pitstops timing with an automatic system but I think this is also a nice thing. Keeping manual manipulation to minimum is essential to avoid discussions and not loosing a lot of time for checks after race.
Also Spa have a file for the reset on place.

[Addenda]
The file is: minrace.lp unfortunately I don't know if it is the same for all the tracks or if each track have its replacement file but for sure any original minrace.lp file (included in GPL) must be replace by this one to enable the reset on place.
I have the one for Spa but I don't know how to attach it to this post.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 08:14:34 AM +0100 by clouds » Logged

Sergio "Clouds" Lonzar

EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2012, 12:27:05 PM +0100 »

Thanks Sergio. If we can make cars reset in the pit lane that will be worth looking at for future races.

I think I need to contact Stefan Roess as it looks like he knows all about this clever idea.

Rank   Only when I sweat
clouds

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2012, 01:13:11 PM +0100 »

You're welcome !

Sergio "Clouds" Lonzar

clouds

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2012, 11:36:17 PM +0100 »

Pay a little attention please !

GPL Wait works very well, the important thing is...leave the program alive on the desktop otherwise if you will close it, it will not works ! Just tried with Axel.

With Axel we also tried to customize the messages GPL Wait shows, using our Niknames i.e.:
Pit In - WARNING - (Clouds)
Clouds getting aboard
Pit Out - WARNING - (Clouds)

These are my 3 customized messages (it is only a suggestion until the manager will propose to fix it out for everyone using the same pattern)
In this way everyone will know who is doing what ! The drawback is a chat very crowded in a range of laps.

Thanks for your attention.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 11:38:18 PM +0100 by clouds » Logged

Sergio "Clouds" Lonzar

clouds

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2012, 07:19:05 PM +0100 »

Thanks Sergio. If we can make cars reset in the pit lane that will be worth looking at for future races.

I think I need to contact Stefan Roess as it looks like he knows all about this clever idea.

Please let me know if Stefan has any new about this idea.

Sergio "Clouds" Lonzar

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com