Quarterly cost: �0

nonchalant-unilinear
April 28, 2024, 04:30:52 PM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
S4455GPP
S4455GPW
S4466CA
S4467F1P
S4467F1W
S4467F2A
S4467F2P
S44JSMT
Recent
S4455GPP Roy Hesketh (…
S4455GPW Roy Hesketh (…
S4466CA Bathurst
S4467F1W Mont-Tremblant
S4467F1P Mont-Tremblant
S4467F2P Snetterton (L…
S4467F2A Snetterton (L…
Forthcoming
S4455GPP Reims (1954-7…
S4455GPW Reims (1954-7…
S4466CA Michigan
S4467F1W Aintree
S4467F1P Aintree
S4467F2P Sempione (193…
S4467F2A Sempione (193…
S4455GPP Oakes Field
S4455GPW Oakes Field

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Fantasy tracks for GPL  (Read 6673 times)
liveclive

I play by the rules, my rules

View Profile
« on: May 06, 2013, 04:56:07 PM +0100 »

The discussion regarding fantasy tracks and whether we should use any of them in UKGPL championships.

Post suggestions for possible tracks here and we can see which ones are safe and offer good racing.

Thus far we have known safe tracks like

Effex
 Jops Siffert
 The Moon

that we have used before.

Other suggestions are 

Road 67
Cilce
Tortuga
Sopheve
GPLV Founders
Dragons Nest
Roller Coaster  ( although I have to confess I see this as a novelty/fun track, but let's hear your views?)

The views expressed here by liveclive are not necessarily endorsed by the true management of evilclive.com, but they might be.
john roberts
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 06:50:37 PM +0100 »

The discussion regarding fantasy tracks and whether we should use any of them in UKGPL championships.

personally i'd rather run real tracks , over the years ukgpl has mostly stuck with a few addon tracks out of the hundreds available , but the main thing is picking the right tracks that is suitable for the cars you are running .

john
maddog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 07:00:45 PM +0100 »

Many fantasy tracks were created early on in track creation history.  Frame friendly, but lacking as much realism.  So their configuration, and suitability are often their strengths.  Personally, I'd suggest any offering without too many posts, as I'm trying to give up collecting them!  Tongue
ed76

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 07:19:09 PM +0100 »

Moulinsart and Valbray are 2 nice tracks for on line races .
and I like Banburgh Castle too .

and if you will organize a special rally championship with mod Stratos : Janakkala , Jokkimaa , Machwerk
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 07:29:17 PM +0100 by ed76 » Logged

Podkrecony_Ziutek

All glory to the Hypnotoad!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 07:41:35 PM +0100 »

In S22 we were racing at Dragon's Nest and nobody reported problems with the track.

As for the fantasy tracks in UKGPL. I don't mind them as long as they feel like a real tracks(so no moon etc.). We need to remember that many of the real tracks that we use aren't that real anyway(Nurburgring or Spa for example) Wink

Hristo Itchov

There is no limit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 09:22:25 PM +0100 »

In S22 we were racing at Dragon's Nest and nobody reported problems with the track.

As for the fantasy tracks in UKGPL. I don't mind them as long as they feel like a real tracks(so no moon etc.). We need to remember that many of the real tracks that we use aren't that real anyway(Nurburgring or Spa for example) Wink

The Moon feels like a real track that is used during the night.  Wink

EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 10:21:51 PM +0100 »

I think with any fantasy track it needs to look realistic.

Jops Siffert is very convincing as far as the scenery goes and I think that would be a good benchmark. The moon "looks" realistic although no-one has actually confirmed that it is accurate  Roll Eyes anyone going there for their vacation this year??

Nivelles is another track we have used, but I am not sure if we had some stability issues. I think it was used in the Interleague challenge series when we raced against teams from other GPL leagues around Europe.
Moulinsart is another track we have used and apart from the Tintin characters it looks convincing. Valbray I have not seen, but I will check it out.

I have not driven Dragons Nest. Would I be right in thinking of it as a "Nurby" type of track?

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @    evilclive67
Rank   Only when I sweat
Hristo Itchov

There is no limit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 12:30:21 AM +0100 »

Was Lime Rock Mountain fantasy? That was a great track to drive, imagine it in 69x!

Mark Jones

Calm like a Bomb

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 09:14:37 AM +0100 »

I prefer real life tracks in general, and there's plenty of terrific ones that don't get used too much (like Bremgarten, Dundrod).  However I thought Urbanya and Panchine were pretty good tracks.

These are the old days, the bad days, the all-or-nothing days. They're back.
Artiglietti

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2013, 10:08:43 AM +0100 »

I just cant get my head around this fixation with real-life tracks tbh. I had a look around at the track database in these couple of days, theres much stuff we never use. Fantasy tracks, wet papy tracks, the whole night-mod, which is only graphic of course, but still it would make a change to the usual tracks we all know. It seems like a lot of work that is going unused just out of habit, really. I am all for fantasy tracks, I actually do love to drive in surreal worlds like the moon, glaciers, silly Tortuga, the city at night in Shutoko. I think it compounds well with the time-machine effect of the game itself..Of course, the track has to be rewarding to drive, that is the main thing. I am going to keep exploring and let you guys know if I find something worth of note, I did try to drive around that Glacier International, and it is like 5 mins of sweeping full speed, wide corners, so quite fun even in a 66's BRM..
Hristo Itchov

There is no limit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2013, 10:14:03 AM +0100 »

I just cant get my head around this fixation with real-life tracks tbh. I had a look around at the track database in these couple of days, theres much stuff we never use. Fantasy tracks, wet papy tracks, the whole night-mod, which is only graphic of course, but still it would make a change to the usual tracks we all know. It seems like a lot of work that is going unused just out of habit, really. I am all for fantasy tracks, I actually do love to drive in surreal worlds like the moon, glaciers, silly Tortuga, the city at night in Shutoko. I think it compounds well with the time-machine effect of the game itself..Of course, the track has to be rewarding to drive, that is the main thing. I am going to keep exploring and let you guys know if I find something worth of note, I did try to drive around that Glacier International, and it is like 5 mins of sweeping full speed, wide corners, so quite fun even in a 66's BRM..

Yeah, I totally agree, we don't have to limit ourselves to the same old 30 tracks or so that we've been driving for years. The main issue with new tracks remains the probability of them causing screen freezes, so proper tests with at least 10 or more people on the server are necessary, otherwise it's going to be risky running them officially and potentially ruining someone's championship efforts.

EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2013, 12:30:23 PM +0100 »

Was Lime Rock Mountain fantasy? That was a great track to drive, imagine it in 69x!

Yes, the Lime Rock Mountain version was a fantasy extension to the genuine Lime Rock circuit. As I recall, UKGPL dropped the mountain circuit after a couple of seasons use because of screen freezes and discos? despite it being very popular.

I cannot remember anyone doing a proper test on the track in a non-championship race, but I think it was added to the black list of circuits.

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @    evilclive67
Rank   Only when I sweat
Hristo Itchov

There is no limit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2013, 12:56:01 PM +0100 »

Yes, the Lime Rock Mountain version was a fantasy extension to the genuine Lime Rock circuit. As I recall, UKGPL dropped the mountain circuit after a couple of seasons use because of screen freezes and discos? despite it being very popular.

I cannot remember anyone doing a proper test on the track in a non-championship race, but I think it was added to the black list of circuits.

I think we raced it 3 or 4 times - once or twice in BREASTS where it was fine I think, then a screen freeze fest in a Masters race, and then a normal race in D1. It wasn't consistently prone to screen freeze as some tracks, so I wonder if there weren't other factors which led to that happening more often in the Masters race. I think it was in season 15 or 16.

Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

"I'd rather be Sim-Racing" said Noddy

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2013, 01:02:02 PM +0100 »

Lime Rock Mountain was a 1957 track modification proposal IIRC.

The only UK based GTL community which races every Monday night. We are always looking for new drivers of all ages and abilities. GTL here since 2006.

bernie

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2013, 04:35:27 PM +0100 »

We done Thornley ( or was it Thornham ) too , fantasy track based on a drive around a proper North Lancashire town , that was Ok I tought .

What about doing the last 120miles of the M6 for those who like draughting  Grin
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com